Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know they don't have to tell us anything but they did say they would be more supporter contact. This is one of the biggest part of a club yet they're saying nothing for the second time and they must know it's annoying people. Their social media must be on fire.
If they're not sacking him just fecking tell us the bad news. If you are sacking him just do it ffs. This pissing about for the second time isn't helping anyone.

Their job is to do what they think is right for the club. Not appease supporters who have no patience.

I know they don't have to tell us anything but they did say they would be more supporter contact. This is one of the biggest part of a club yet they're saying nothing for the second time and they must know it's annoying people. Their social media must be on fire.
If they're not sacking him just fecking tell us the bad news. If you are sacking him just do it ffs. This pissing about for the second time isn't helping anyone.

Berrada and Ashworth both publicly backed him around a month ago. Their view will be that he is the manager, has been given a contract extension, publicly backed and they will only announce something if that changes.

They aren't going to release a public statement after every loss/poor performance. He should have been sacked but he hasn't been, that's the news.

But you do understand they can’t come out and say anything now right? He is on the ropes so if they come out in support they can’t fire him after 2 more games. And no owner/executive ever comes out and say the managers job is in jeopardy either. So the next communication from executives will be when they actually fire him.
I am surprised they’ve not been asked for a statement from the NYSE. Done well to keep their findings secret so far.

No, it's condescension. Or 'laughing at', if you like that better. Again, please stop it. I'm saying this as a moderator.

Ok. Will keep my observations to myself. If thats how you perceive it then others may too, so worth considering.

Can you apply the same rigour to those insulting the club’s staff/management, both personally and professionally ?

And those making totally unverified claims?

Level the playing field a bit and stop this place from being so hysterical?

Last edited:
Their job is to do what they think is right for the club. Not appease supporters who have no patience.

Supporters have undergone some of the worst football and results in their lifetime, within the past two and a half years. I'd say they've been more than patient up until the point it's obvious to every corner of the football world that this managers time is up.

Their social media must be on fire.
Probably one reason they say nothing. We know from transfer sagas how much they love to sit back and let the internet do its thing. All that traffic, that lovely lovely traffic.

Hard to be sure what's going on but if he's to be here for a little while longer it won't make a great deal of difference, despite the very dramatic urgency felt by many here.

Applaud him at the beginning, then the entire team will get booed after getting trashed by Brentford, to eventually applauding EtH when he goes towards the fans thanking them for their support.

Like it or hate it, this is the United way.
The moment a person is anointed as our manager , they ascend to demigod status. They become infallible at the eyes of the OT faithful. It is inconceivable to think that any issues with results and performances could be due to anything other than the players on the pitch.
This phenomenon that borders on the religious, really deserves to be academically examined . I suppose quite a few publications would be in order.

Applaud him at the beginning, then the entire team will get booed after getting trashed by Brentford, to eventually applauding EtH when he goes towards the fans thanking them for their support.

Yeah I hate it. It's the notion that having unconditional support for the manager somehow makes us better fans or something. We don't just tolerate mediocrity. We applaud it.

Had a couple of mates who went to OT towards the end of last season and they were talking about how they thought ETH had lost the plot and they were getting weird looks all round as if they had cussed out SAF or something :lol:

Hysterical seems to be the new buzz word in this thread. Some are evidently taken aback by people displaying emotions.

Very understandable of course because as we know Football fans are usually very level headed and dispassionate when discussing their team. :confused:

Ten Hag needs to be replaced, there's no question about that.

But I really dislike the comparisons with previous Premier League campaigns. The Premier League has changed so much over the last few years. The mid table teams have gotten a lot stronger, the league is a different beast. Absolutely zero point in comparing apples and oranges.

The only thing you need to look at is the direction of the team and that's been going backwards since the league cup win in early 2023. There's been a lot of mitigating factors, which is partly why he survived in the Summer, but he's clearly run out of road now.

Ratcliffe, Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox aren't daft - they know it's over. If you look at it from their perspective though, they need to be careful about how they handle the exit and who the replace him with. Remember Ragnick for Solskjaer, Stellini for Conte etc. It is possible that you can actually make things worse, so you'd better be sure about how you handle the replacement.

It's easy to say Ten Hag needs to be replaced. The dogs on the street know that and so do the execs. Who you replace him with and under what conditions is a totally different kettle of fish though and that's why this is taking time.

Yeah I hate it. It's the notion that having unconditional support for the manager somehow makes us better fans or something. We don't just tolerate mediocrity. We applaud it.

Had a couple of mates who went to OT towards the end of last season and they were talking about how they thought ETH had lost the plot and they were getting weird looks all round as if they had cussed out SAF or something :lol:
Mindless drones

On this forum?

From memory, by the time we got near the end of last season it was a decent majority that wanted him sacked, but the FA Cup win swung it to a very slim majority wanted him kept (I seem to remember a 51/49 split). Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I could swear that was the case.

Outside this forum it did seem like a large majority though.
You’re right. The poll on this forum was 51/49 split in favour of keep. But outside the forum it seemed like 75/80% plus. I got downvoted to hell on r/reddevils for saying straight after the FA Cup “thanks Erik for the trophies and the memories of today. It’s time to go now.”. Think it was -200 :lol:

The classic made up story to try and prove a point that doesn’t exist.

You’re right. The poll on this forum was 51/49 split in favour of keep. But outside the forum it seemed like 75/80% plus. I got downvoted to hell on r/reddevils for saying straight after the FA Cup “thanks Erik for the trophies and the memories of today. It’s time to go now.”. Think it was -200 :lol:
It was firmly sack before the cup final, not quite so skewed as now

Ten Hag shouldn't be compared with Ole any more. Clearly Ole was levels above.
On what planet is Ole clearly above Ten Hag?
Jose:
Win Percentage: 58.3%
League Positions: 6th, 2nd
Trophies: 2 (Europa League, League Cup)

ten Hag:
Win Percentage: 56.7%
League Positions: 3rd, 8th
Trophies: 2 (League Cup, FA Cup)

van Gaal:
Win Percentage: 52.4%
League Positions: 4th, 5th
Trophies: 1 (FA Cup)

Ole:
Win Percentage: 54.2%
League Positions: 6th, 3rd, 2nd
Trophies: 0

Moyes:
Win Percentage: 52.9%
League Position: 7th
Trophies: 0

It was firmly sack before the cup final, not quite so skewed as now
Only shows the nature of those polls and the nature of fans. Some good emotions and concerns will fade away. Same is happening right now (yeah, the critique these days is as loud as it is because of the latest results). It is shortsighted and I am very hopeful, that the new decision makers will not be subsceptible from such waves within the fanbase.

Hysterical seems to be the new buzz word in this thread. Some are evidently taken aback by people displaying emotions.

Very understandable of course because as we know Football fans are usually very level headed and dispassionate when discussing their team. :confused:
Hi stevoc, we can still be passionate when discussing our team without getting hysterical, no? :confused:

We don't know that. This is what we would call being overly hysterical.
Yep, this is the United way. supporting your manager and team through thick and thin.

I love Ole, but no chance. Maybe on a different planet where emotions run wild. let's call it the planet of hysteria.
Hi stevoc, we can still be passionate when discussing our team without getting hysterical, no? :confused:

Yeah I've lost count of the amount of times that people on this thread have labelled anyone who doesn't agree with them 'hysterical', especially those in defence of ETH or INEOS. Is that your new go to? Projecting much? In your case, you've literally done it three times in one page.

It's really boring at this point and you're not even providing good counter-arguments. feck off

Last edited:

Yep, this is the United way. supporting your manager and team through thick and thin.
Get off your high horse. Hysterical? Support your manager through thick and and thin? He’s spent 600M yet we’re on -7GD over the past 53 games not counting domestic cups. Do you even realize how pathetic the team has been? He’s up there with the worst managers in prem history.

Maybe the current management team wants to show that they can withstand pressure to make difficult decisions. Fine. Let's see how this pans out till the end of the season. I won't really be watching United's games if we still have sucky tactics, but will stay in touch enough in way which does not impact on my mental health. Ironically, I will probably be relocating to the Netherlands for work and have to understand the Dutch psyche anyway. Studying EtH probably gives me a better sense of how they think. An unusual and fascinating people indeed.

On what planet is Ole clearly above Ten Hag?
The 'win percentage' is such a stupid stat. ETH would also have a higher 'loss percentage', and it'd be just as stupid if people were focusing only on that. Points per game (ppg) is the most accurate way to do it as it evens out wins, draws and losses with their respective weightings.

Ultimately, neither manager is clearly ahead of the other. Their ppg is almost identical, to the extent that ETH is fractionally ahead at the moment but will drop below Ole if we lose our next game. ETH won two domestic cups, but had an easier run of fixtures in those cups. Meanwhile Ole did better in Europe, despite probably having slightly harder fixtures.

The only real difference is that ETH's good period was all bundled together in one big batch, then his bad period has likewise been all bundled together. Whereas Ole constantly had smaller runs of form for a few months where we were good, then a few months of bad, then good, then bad, etc. I would say that Ole's good periods were clearly better and more fun to watch than ETH's though.

Last edited:
Ok. Will keep my observations to myself. If thats how you perceive it then others may too, so worth considering.

Can you apply the same rigour to those insulting the club’s staff/management, both personally and professionally ?

And those making totally unverified claims?

Level the playing field a bit and stop this place from being so hysterical?
That would be amazing, but I've learned that we can't really influence the discussion that way. We can, however, at least be civil to each other on here, so that we do watch more closely. And yes, we do take action to weed out the worst of the poor-quality posting. So feel free to use the report function when you think something stands out: that's what it's for, as we can't read everything ourselves.

Yes, yes. You were right. Well done. Can we please move the feck on from all of these "I told you so, look how clever I was" posts from the usual suspects, please?

Well moving on is a bit difficult now considering that he basically dictated our summer transfer window strategy, the season had already started and ETH's contract had been extended by one year.. We will have to pay 17m to get rid off him and the pool of managers available at this point is very limited. So its basically either RVN (whose far from perfect) or we have to accept everything Tuchel throw at us

ETH's admin had been showing cracks all over the place throughout last season. The guy can't go past from signing Eredivisie linked players/coaches, his training regime hurt players and his man management is non existent which lead to friction with players on a ridiculously frequent basis. On top of that his tactics while effective against the likes of NEC or RKC Waalwijk doesn't translate well at professional football level. We witnessed that both in the EPL and the CL were we got spanked despite being part of one of the easiest groups. The FA cup was his Hail Mary as his arse was nearly handled to him by Coventry as well.

So we're in a mess and that mess was fully backed if not instigated by our own fans. It's time we stop being naive around football. SAF is gone, his role was broken into tiny pieces were the manager is just a glorified head coach. There's no long term vision around that job. If the head coach training and tactics aren't working then there's no reason why he's kept.

I live in a country were half of us support the Serie A clubs while the other half support EPL clubs. Both having huge interest in opposing leagues. The Serie A guys are laughing at us not because of our form. That shit can happen time to time. What they are shocked at us is that they can't believe that we would stick to someone for so long whose clearly out of depth for so long. ETH's 'cousin' De Boer lasted just 4 months at Inter. The Eredivisie hasn't produced a decent manager since the 90s (LVG). What gave ETH so much credit at the bank?

Last edited:
Well moving on is a bit difficult now considering that he basically dictated our summer transfer window strategy, the season had already started and ETH's contract had been extended by one year.. We will have to pay 17m to get rid off him and the pool of managers available at this point is very limited. So its basically either RVN (whose far from perfect) or we have to accept everything Tuchel throw at us

ETH's admin had been showing cracks all over the place throughout last season. The guy can't go past from signing Eredivisie linked players/coaches, his training regime hurt players and his man management is non existent which lead to friction with players on a ridiculously frequent basis. On top of that his tactics while effective against the likes of NEC or RKC Waalwijk doesn't translate well at professional football level. We witnessed that both in the EPL and the CL were we got spanked despite being part of one of the easiest groups. The FA cup was his Hail Mary as his arse was nearly handled to him by Coventry as well.

So we're in a mess and that mess was fully backed if not instigated by our own fans. It's time we stop being naive around football. SAF is gone, his role was broken into tiny pieces were the manager is just a glorified head coach. There's no long term vision around that job. If the head coach training and tactics aren't working then there's no reason why he's kept.

I live in a country were half of us support the Serie A clubs while the other half support EPL clubs. Both having huge interest in opposing leagues. The Serie A guys are laughing at us not because of our form. That shit can happen time to time. What they are shocked at us is that they can't believe that we would stick to someone for so long whose clearly out of depth for so long. ETH's 'cousin' De Boer lasted just 4 months at Inter. The Eredivisie hasn't produced a decent manager since the 90s (LVG). What gave ETH so much credit at the bank?
Literally every single person outside of our fanbase is pissing themselves laughing at us for this situation. It boggles my mind how many here are so willing to make excuses for the new hierarchy just because they're new. They made a massive mistake and instead of just cutting their losses are continuing with this madness.

OIe deserved to be fired but just to note we were 6 points off 4th and 8 points behind Liverpool, we are currently 6 points off 4th and 10 points behind Liverpool. In fairness it doesn't matter because then we were coming off the back of finishing 2nd and what looked like a really ambitious summer, we're now a club that has a new reality of being a slightly above average Premier League side that is hoping to develop so I'm not sure there's any point in using how we performed under Ole as a reference point.
Our 'new reality' is a direct consequence of Ten Hag's poor management. We finished 3rd the season before last and have spent almost £400m adding to that squad with players he wanted for his so called system. We now look worse than ever before.

We've already left it too late to sack him so I don't really care if we write another season off now, the apathy is in full flow. The people still backing him honestly deserve whatever failure the remainder of this season brings. The club has become a parody of itself in the support it gives to managers, it's the 3rd manager in a row where we've either given them a new contract or activated their extension as they enter a period of pressure as some show of good faith.

It's very surprising it doesn't attract more criticism from the fanbase. Three managers in a row receiving extortionate compensation packages because there's a sentimental belief that every Manchester United manager should be a long-term one. That right has to be earned. None of Mourinho, Solskjaer or Ten Hag earned the contract extensions they were given.

Literally every single person outside of our fanbase is pissing themselves laughing at us for this situation. It boggles my mind how many here are so willing to make excuses for the new hierarchy just because they're new. They made a massive mistake and instead of just cutting their losses are continuing with this madness.

In my opinion INEOS did 1 huge mistake and that was signing Ashworth so late. Good old Jimmy thought he did a fabulous job in forcing Newcastle to lower their demands from 10m to 2m but he didn't notice that he left United leaderless from a football management POV. Hence ETH was allowed to stay, his contract was extended and he filled us with more Eredivisie rubbish. Now the season is truly fecked as sacking ETH will cost us a fortune and there's no way we'll be able to find a manager whose good enough to stir the ship in the right direction unless we allow him to screw us up royally. Ashworth at the wheel in March would have probably prevented this madness.

OIe deserved to be fired but just to note we were 6 points off 4th and 8 points behind Liverpool, we are currently 6 points off 4th and 10 points behind Liverpool. In fairness it doesn't matter because then we were coming off the back of finishing 2nd and what looked like a really ambitious summer, we're now a club that has a new reality of being a slightly above average Premier League side that is hoping to develop so I'm not sure there's any point in using how we performed under Ole as a reference point.

Ole lost the dressing room. He promised his huge squad ample game time, something he couldn't fulfil for obvious reasons and which lead to them undermining him. ETH is out of depth and same was Ole. We need to stop giving so much power to managers whose only success came from winning trophies against the likes of NEC and Viking

Eth is good at tournaments. Once he gets to the round robin stage, he starts to show off his prowess.

If it is that's on the current fans.

We were fecking relegated in the early 70s, and won two FA cups in the 80s.
Did we have the capacity to and were we spending a billion in five years? We levelled up under Fergie and that comes with certain expectations. You can't spend 600m in three years, take the club to 8th on a negative goal difference, proceed to having the worst start in the PL and expect people to just remain silent because we were shit in the 80s.

We should hold the club accountable, yes its a private company but it's also a community asset with people in various continents invested in it. There should be a duty of care in how these things are handled. I understand if they want to back him, sacking previous underperformers hasn't always worked but if it costs us more down the line, people should be held accountable for that decision because the signs are there to see that this train is off the rails.