Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Problem is they’ve wasted a week of international break that an interim could’ve used to bed in. Monday would’ve been the logical day to do it, can’t see the reason for the delay unless it’s basically keeping him and they don’t feel obliged to announce that he’s staying.

Most of the key players are away during international weeks. I am still hopeful that the end of ETH is near. If it's not during this international break, it will be very soon if the next few results didn't go our way.

The silence of SJR, Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox says a lot.

No you have it all wrong. That was just @TheReligion giving us a clear example of a hysterical poster taking a thread miles off topic after becoming hyper emotional.

He was giving us a blueprint of how not to do it. We must protect the meaningfulness of discussion in football threads at all costs.
Now I’m getting my popcorn.

The cult are back!

Pennies in the grand scheme of things, the damage to the clubs reputation if he gets another season will be worse

difference in PL prize money alone is 22 mil between 14th and 8th, add another 11m for 4th, so getting in Tuchel say and probably guaranteeing at least 8th or better is still a net gain, that is without considering the cost of crashing out of Europe early and/or failing to secure European football next season.... 14m to replace ETH is a no-brainer

I fully understand why but there's a lot of old news being rehashed and stating of the obvious.

"ETH is working under the impression that he will be in charge for Brentford" - as you would expect from any professional.

I'm not sure much can be read into the silence but my feeling is that if we hear nothing by tomorrow then he's staying. Ineos could very easily get a reputation for being indecisive if the decision to sack him is made next week or after the Brentford game.

Would managerial compensation packages be counted in our FFP constraints? I.e. would it adversely impact our winter/summer window funds if we're forced to pay millions to dismiss him?

I don’t understand why they extended Ten Hags deal

Didn’t make sense then. Doesn’t now

He didn’t need “backing” - after finishing 8th keeping him was backing enough

Offer to trigger the option in January if he starts the season well (which he predictably didn’t)

You were asked a very very simple question.

One which 99% of football fans can answer, whether they support Real Madrid, Crawley Town or Weymouth (@Rolandofgilead).

You can’t say anything you love about the club you apparently support and care about.

How pathetic.
And if anybody wants to buy this Weymouth fan a pint, I can found on Saturday eating a veggie burger in the away end at Forest Green Rovers...

Don't really care what the excuses are tbh. The fact he's still here is utter nonsense and looks bad on the new football heirachy. Any serious football team would have sacked him in summer, let alone after the back to back 3-0 defeats.

Would managerial compensation packages be counted in our FFP constraints? I.e. would it adversely impact our winter/summer window funds if we're forced to pay millions to dismiss him?
Yes but I don't think we're constrained by that. It's the actual funds that will be more of a problem.

Every time a manager from any club gets rumoured to be getting sack we get the lazy speculation of assuming his compensation must be the number of years left on his contract times his annual salary.

It's highly improbable any manager has had those terms in his contract for at least the last thirty years.

Offer to trigger the option in January if he starts the season well (which he predictably didn’t)
I agree. They shouldn’t have but I think his condition was to extend before the season for obvious reasons. He knew if he gets canned he can get more money out of it. This “condition” along with the fact that he gave that interview in Holland about how we came crawling him to Ibiza alone is grounds for sacking.

Yes, and it's not much money in the great scheme of things. Easy for a club like ours to trim things here and there to generate £14m if they really wanted.

Amrabat £8.5m loan fee. I'm assuming we paid his wages on top which would make it close to £14m altogether, at least 11 or 12. It's not having him for a year.

It's not signing Malacia or Telles. It's selling someone like Elanga.
Yeah. Letting ten hag sit because of the cost to sack him is saying the finances are #1, even if it means we finish bottom half this season, they're willing to sacrifice (another) season at the expense of the cost to sack him. Also probably because they doubt sacking him and replacing would actually get us in the CL this season at this point, so it's just a money risk. Which is shite to hear from the new owners who should be football focused and not be willing to throw away entire seasons on a garbage manager.

This just boggles the mind. If they want to adopt an 'evidence-based' approach, then he should've been sacked in the summer. The 'evidence' is that we've been crap for a season and a half almost. What more do they want to see?
If us sitting at 14th, having our worst PL start ever is not enough reason, then who knows what is. I presumed that business people would realize when to cut their losses. We're heading for a bottom half finish with a top 6 squad. Laughable.

As many had stated, the silence from the board is telling. It's almost certain that ETH will be gone. None of the football structure people come out to defend ETH in the media even though strong rumors circling around that ETH will be sacked. Finger crossed.
Does every club come out every few weeks to confirm that they support their manager and that he's safe? I don't think it's common practice, hence I don't see why we would need to do that either.

And if anybody wants to buy this Weymouth fan a pint, I can found on Saturday eating a veggie burger in the away end at Forest Green Rovers...
Damn good veggie burgers there, the green devil spicy burger is much better than anything i've eaten at any other stadium. Also you get to chant dirty vegan bastards at them all game!

I think he'll stay on now for the remainder of the season. Maybe the club may move him on with a few games to spare, similar to Moyes, and our league position is already set.
But I'm bracing myself for another indifferent campaign.

Well many here seemed to think it had to be done otherwise we risked poor performance from the players. Worked out well...

I think he'll stay on now for the remainder of the season. Maybe the club may move him on with a few games to spare, similar to Moyes, and our league position is already set.
But I'm bracing myself for another indifferent campaign.
Why throw away a season and make our rebuild even harder?

Honestly i don't know but you can tell that to our owners if they continue to persevere with ETH as I've ran out of understanding thier methods.

I'm simply posing a possible response to the question "why isn't everyone on the same page?" Seeing as they aren't all on the same page and wanting him to be sacked, there must necessarily be a reason. Money is often a pretty popular reason behind decision-making, moreso when it's clear from previous actions arising from our financial troubles.

If you're interested in venturing another guess, either of you, I'd be interested to hear it.

My "guess" is that the part of the club responsible for these decisions - i.e. the Football Executives currently can't all agree on either whether to sack him, or if they are agreed that they should sack him, what to do next.

If all of the key football people (employed on big contracts, with some having required millions in compensation packages) decided he needed to go, he'd be gone.

Nobody on here knows what he's due if he's sacked, but it won't be every penny of his contract, upfront. That's why clubs and managers negotiate an exit package. Managers always need to be paid off, and not achieving hits the club in the pocket massively.

Clearly the financial aspect of any decision will be considered, but I'm certain that if Dan Ashworth & Co wanted him gone but the Accountant's had the final say, they wouldn't be hanging around, nor probably have taken their jobs in the first place.

My "guess" is that the part of the club responsible for these decisions - i.e. the Football Executives currently can't all agree on either whether to sack him, or if they are agreed that they should sack him, what to do next.

If all of the key football people (employed on big contracts, with some having required millions in compensation packages) decided he needed to go, he'd be gone.

Nobody on here knows what he's due if he's sacked, but it won't be every penny of his contract, upfront. That's why clubs and managers negotiate an exit package. Managers always need to be paid off, and not achieving hits the club in the pocket massively.

Clearly the financial aspect of any decision will be considered, but I'm certain that if Dan Ashworth & Co wanted him gone but the Accountant's had the final say, they wouldn't be hanging around, nor probably have taken their jobs in the first place.
I'm not really sure why you keep mentioning accountants as if they're the only people who care about the financial impact of a decision.

Does every club come out every few weeks to confirm that they support their manager and that he's safe? I don't think it's common practice, hence I don't see why we would need to do that either.

Nope but given the strong rumours circling around his sacking and the 7 hours board meeting and whatnot. It's not unreasonable for someone from the board to say something to suppor the manager?

Nope but given the strong rumours circling around his sacking and the 7 hours board meeting and whatnot. It's not unreasonable for someone from the board to say something to suppor the manager?
It was a scheduled meeting. They’ve already said before he has their full backing, gave him an extension and for all we know they are happy with him. For all we know they may have not even discussed manager’s job yesterday.

The only thing that is making any sense to me (not much) is that they think due to his record in cups that he is more likely to win the Europa League than Ruud no matter how bad it gets.

Doesn't make sense if you look at our European form obviously but who knows. Or maybe they are just embarrassed to admit they were wrong to keep him on.

Well many here seemed to think it had to be done otherwise we risked poor performance from the players. Worked out well...
I'm sure you're right. Something about player power.
However, the idea that professional footballers playing for Manchester United would fail to give their absolute 100% on the field, regardless of the managerial situation, is insane.

It was a scheduled meeting. They’ve already said before he has their full backing, gave him an extension and for all we know they are happy with him. For all we know they may have not even discussed manager’s job yesterday.

Insane if they didn’t. I believe they are going to fire him tbh. The only problem right now is that they can’t get a preferred replacement.

A food for thought.

This might have been discussed at some point so my bad if it has.

Does anyone think Ten Hag would be better off speaking Dutch with a translator at press conferences? My point being, I don't think he properly explains himself and things come out sort of ''simple'' and ''basic''. I think this could help him communicate to reporters and us (fans) with more intelligent commentary. Before anyone says it, he's not stupid. He looks and sounds worse than reality IMO because of results.

A food for thought.

Does anyone think Ten Hag would be better off speaking Dutch with a translator at press conferences? My point being, I don't think he properly explains himself and things come out sort of ''simple'' and ''basic''. I think this could help him communicate to reporters and us (fans) with more intelligent commentary. Before anyone says it, he's not stupid. He looks and sounds worse than reality IMO because of results.
Too late for that. We all see what happens on the pitch. Whatever he’s saying and doing, isn’t clicking or achieving what he seems to want.

If we sacked a manager the moment things get a bit tough then Ten Hag would be gone long, long before the start of this season.
And if you apply that logic that historically then the SAF PL era would never have happened, in the modern day game he would have been sacked about 1988-89 season

Personally I don't think ETH is the man to takes us forward but be careful what you wish for because a lot of fans thought the same about Fergie after 3-4 years of his reign

A food for thought.

I don’t think it’s going to be sound any different in Dutch that he doesn’t have a fecking clue what he is doing. He will sound the same, petulant, ludicrous and idiotic when he says one day it will click eh and we need to do better eh.

And if you apply that logic that historically then the SAF PL era would never have happened, in the modern day game he would have been sacked about 1988-89 season

Personally I don't think ETH is the man to takes us forward but be careful what you wish for because a lot of fans thought the same about Fergie after 3-4 years of his reign
I can’t believe I’m still reading this sort of crap honestly. It’s just not relevant to where we are now in 2024? So much has changed.

A food for thought.

Despite his English his bullshite excuses are easy to understand.