Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s a monthly corporate meeting between several executives, they won’t run short of topics I’m sure.
There's a huge gap in our midfield every time we're being attacked so probably that'll take a place on the "items to be repaired" list. Probably should call in whoever is in charge of "Gaps and meltdowns" as I believe the constant leaking would intervene with everything else that depends on the success of the team in the pitch?

A food for thought.

This might have been discussed at some point so my bad if it has.

Does anyone think Ten Hag would be better off speaking Dutch with a translator at press conferences? My point being, I don't think he properly explains himself and things come out sort of ''simple'' and ''basic''. I think this could help him communicate to reporters and us (fans) with more intelligent commentary. Before anyone says it, he's not stupid. He looks and sounds worse than reality IMO because of results.
I’m Dutch and I understand his English just fine. I think he gets his points across despite struggling to find the right words sometimes.

The funniest thing was when he translated the Dutch “verdomd goed voetbal (damn good football)” into “fecking good football” on live tv.

Last edited:
We should have kept Moyes. On two fronts, one he'd have become the next SAF given time and two we wouldn't have had to hire this guy.

There's a huge gap in our midfield every time we're being attacked so probably that'll take a place on the "items to be repaired" list. Probably should call in whoever is in charge of "Gaps and meltdowns" as I believe the constant leaking would intervene with everything else that depends on the success of the team in the pitch?
I am not sure tactics are high on their agenda. It’s coach’s job and I doubt that they discuss it much without him present.

And if you apply that logic that historically then the SAF PL era would never have happened, in the modern day game he would have been sacked about 1988-89 season

Personally I don't think ETH is the man to takes us forward but be careful what you wish for because a lot of fans thought the same about Fergie after 3-4 years of his reign

do you reckon that with enough time someone like Ian Holloway could have rivalled Ferguson's legacy?

I'm a long suffering fan of losing clubs, which for some reason we call "franchises" in the US, and I like to think at least that I can handle a bad run of form by the club (or franchise) I support, but what we have been seeing now for over 12 months (and in truth, for about a decade with the exception of a few nice runs of form under Jose and Ole) -- with the exception of two very performances against City in the FA Cup and then the Community Shield -- has been shocking. If we were bedding in young players we'd all be on board with the rebuilding program, but we are not bedding in new young players. The performance level continues to drop.

Let's play a quick mind game: did anyone here, I mean is there a single United supporter whatsoever -- who was actually surprised to see Liverpool and Spurs dismantle us? I seriously doubt it. Is anyone actually surprised that after the abysmal summer friendlies that we have started the season so poorly?

There's not much to look forward to from United until we do something about the manager, who has lost the players in my humble opinion.
I’m baffled frequently by the cheap giveaways, indecision in defending and lack of tracking back at key moments.

I’m positive Ten Hag is often baffled by the performance level as well, you can see it on his face during games.

I am not sure tactics are high on their agenda. It’s coach’s job and I doubt that they discuss it much without him present.
Well they might not be talking about the leak itself but the consequences of it. It's evident for everyone to see, how can you possibly be in the board of director of this club and not ask in one of these meetings "hey what F is this hole?" requiring an explanation?

I don't think just because it was an scheduled meeting they just didn't talk about as if we were third on the table.

I’m baffled frequently by the cheap giveaways, indecision in defending and lack of tracking back at key moments.

I’m positive Ten Hag is often baffled by the performance level as well, you can see it on his face during games.
He may simply need better players to execute his perfect tactics then?

This is a problem with manager who is absolutely perfect, he also needs his players to be close to that level. If they aren’t, things may not work out.

A quick search in that paragraph and there is no mention of the word "money". So the topic has not been added in the meeting agenda.

Let's face it, this clown won't be sacked before our next game
They needed to pull the trigger Monday, infact, they should of been doing the damn homework and finding someone suitable to come in weeks ago in preparation for an event like this.

Of course, this club is reactive and not proactive. No other top club in the world would think the football or results shown by this clown is fine. He would have got the boot by Madrid this time last year the latest.

We should have kept Moyes. On two fronts, one he'd have become the next SAF given time and two we wouldn't have had to hire this guy.

Why stop there? Big Ron won 2 FA cups and never finished below 4th place before the board sacked him to get Ferguson. He would've probably won 10 European cups in the row, given time.

So I just want to be sure that I'm following your logic here.

People said the same thing about SAF a few years into his time at United, but he ended up proving everyone wrong.

Does this mean that you believe every manager who manages at United should be given a similar amount of time, regardless of how we're doing or looking, because SAF didn't start off that well and got better?

Or do you mean you've seen something in ETH specifically in his time at United that makes you think that he might have a SAF like trajectory?
All I'm saying is that for the decision makers the situation with ETH is exactly the same as it was back in the day with SAF

The board back then thought he was the man for the job , the fanbase not so much, the first few years of SAF's reign the team was pretty crap, some of his signings were pretty awful and the results weren't very good either

Right now the board appear to think ETH is the man for the job, the fanbase not so much, the team is pretty crap, so are some of the signings and the results

Given what happened maybe the board know have better instincts than us fans, I was there in those early days and I wasn't so sure that SAF was any better than what preceded him, I was wrong and I wasn't alone, , I don't think ETH is the man for us either but I could also be wrong again

But this notion that sacking the manager and bringing in Tuchel, Nagelsman or whomever will automatically make us better is nonsense, they migh but they equally might not, hence the be careful of what you wish for because no one in football guarantees you success

Last edited:
I find this incredibly annoying. We had perhaps the greatest manager of all time and people now feel it’s ok to compare Moyes and ten Hag to him.

It is annoying because there won't be another one like him, what's also annoying is that if Redcafe was around in 1989/90 all of you calling him the greatest of all time would be baying for him to be sacked because it was worse than it is now

"Mazraoui out for weeks"
"Martinez out for weeks"
"Maguire out injured"
"Shaw and Malacia still out"

Erik Ten Hag: "Yesssssshh!" :cool:

The finance team at United will be staffed by Accountants. Those people, and that team, will be consulted on the impact of potential decisions and advise on cash flow/forecasting. That info will be passed to the right people in the business within it's structure so they can make a decision. It's a pyramid structure, like all big commercial entities.

The people in Football Operations team will not make decisions based on cost and/or financial impacts because that's not their job and they're not paid to worry about it.
The finance affects the football, along with everything else at the club. Ergo the information related to cashflow will be considered when making a decision.

But a child would know that. So I can only assume you're being disingenuous for the sake of it.

"Mazraoui out for weeks"
"Martinez out for weeks"
"Maguire out injured"
"Shaw and Malacia still out"

Erik Ten Hag: "Yesssssshh!" :cool:

That's the excuses until the new year sorted then. Easy one for the fanbase now, we can blame the injuries again and absolve ETH of any responsibility.

You dont't think it would be worse to have the reputation of being a club that sacks the manager the moment the going gets a bit tough? What kind of signal does that send out to the world? Not only to aspiring managers out there but also as a life lesson in general. Money can't buy love and loyalty.
No white text?

A food for thought.

This might have been discussed at some point so my bad if it has.

Does anyone think Ten Hag would be better off speaking Dutch with a translator at press conferences? My point being, I don't think he properly explains himself and things come out sort of ''simple'' and ''basic''. I think this could help him communicate to reporters and us (fans) with more intelligent commentary. Before anyone says it, he's not stupid. He looks and sounds worse than reality IMO because of results.

I am sorry for you. Heh

It is annoying because there won't be another one like him, what's also annoying is that if Redcafe was around in 1989/90 all of you calling him the greatest of all time would be baying for him to be sacked because it was worse than it is now
Perhaps. It was the only time in football history when this happened, ie a manager struggled for years and eventually turned the club around and became incredibly successful for over 2 decades. It will never happen again and ETH is not Fergie.

Perhaps. It was the only time in football history when this happened, ie a manager struggled for years and eventually turned the club around and became incredibly successful for over 2 decades. It will never happen again and ETH is not Fergie.

Did SAF ever even struggle? I know of the "Ta Ra Fergie" banners, but in comparison to ETH's struggles, football and results it was probably title winning form.

I understand their wait, but for me, I genuinely feel for the players.

As long as he's here, they will be thrown under the bus for tactical failures. I genuinely believe that our attacking issues over the last 3 seasons and our defensive issues since last season have been down to tactics, which is why I find it so funny when people talk about goals not being in the team. There are goals, the system is just so poor that we don't create the requisite chances.

I saw the same thing with LVG. Complex structured systems in attack, that require so many variables to succeed before an actual chance can be created. In a league as fast and physical as the Premier League, unless you are Man City, that patient intricacy is not consistently possible. There are just too many elements in these attacks that can breakdown, and since we don't dominate possession, we don't have as many opportunities to get them right.

I'm not guaranteeing that this squad would be perfect with another manager, but i do feel its the most complete squad we've had since Fergie retired. I think we have good players, that can become great players if put in a position to succeed. Unfortunately, we have a purposely young team, where poor direction, poor tactics and poor team performances can kill their confidence and stunt their growth. I don't think as a club, we can afford to keep a manager that can hamper our future success. Fans might not be the biggest fans of Rashford at the moment, but I can make the argument that it was poor and inconsistent management that has led him not to fulfill some of the potential we had seen. The current system requires Garnacho and Amad to run past 3 players to get an opportunity to create a chance, we don't overlap and the movements around these players are poor when they are out wide.
Agree with this. Annoys me people keep claiming that our squad isn't good or the players are the problem etc. Now obviously they aren't the holy trinity but you can't tell me garnacho, amad, rashford, hojlund + whatever previous attacking players we've had should be scoring way less than teams like Fulham, Palace, Brentford to name a few. The sooner we have a new manager the better

I didn't expect someone saying this in hindsight about Woodward. Did expect even less that I would agree. Woodward clearly lacked football knowledge and didn't have the support he would have needed to do a better job (which was his own fault as he could have signed top people for that job just like INEOS now tried), but he clearly had some kind of standards and clear red lines that a manager couldn't cross without consequences.

I don't get the feeling that these standards Woodward (ffs...) had still exist.
Right on, Woodward's biggest failing was in not recognising that he needed help from experts and those experts might not say or do things how he liked but they would be correct. If only he had brought in Ralf Rangnick after Jose Mourinho we would be the ones challenging City right now because all Woodward needed was the guy who could point him in the right direction.

Now, I fear, we are too far gone, the money is gone and we keep on making big mistakes in the market even after adding the 'best in class' executives. The road back is going to be hard, expensive and long. Particularly if we keep making mistakes.

It's pretty much the same logic as saying If you let any writer spend enough time typing, they’ll eventually write like Shakespeare. It's complete nonsense

Did SAF ever even struggle? I know of the "Ta Ra Fergie" banners, but in comparison to ETH's struggles, football and results it was probably title winning form.

He took over a struggling club, but there were pretty poor periods early on. We came 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th. The last one was where he was closest to the sack as we were only 2 points away from relegation heading into the new year.

It was a different situation though, and it turned around for good after those first few years.

Get what your saying, compared to Slot for instance his English is not great and can sound quite abrasive but it’s not difficult to understand. However, many of his decisions and excuses are difficult to understand.
I know where you're coming from. If Liverpool go through a bad patch, I think people will begin to see Slot the same was as Ten Hag (at press conferences).
It is if the manager keeps picking him
The Spurs game - nobody could pass the ball. The players were nervous and I understand that but there's a line where players have to help themselves and get through stuff like that. There's a serious lack of leaders on the pitch. Maybe Ten Hag could have done something or said something but a player not running and tracking back and being way too late to make a sprint, that should be on the player to do regardless of who the manager is or what tactics there are.
I’m Dutch and I understand his English just fine. I think he gets his points across despite struggling to find the right words sometimes.

The funniest thing was when he translated the Dutch “verdomd goed voetbal (damn good football)” into “fecking good football” on live tv.
I think Ten Hag understands English perfectly well, I just think maybe he's not expressing himself in the best way and maybe if he spoke in his native language he could express himself better.
I am sorry for you. Heh
I see what you did there :lol:

It's pretty much the same logic as saying If you let any writer spend enough time typing, they’ll eventually write like Shakespeare. It's complete nonsense

Have you ever read the first 6 years of his plays though? They were incomprehensible gibberish, luckily though the Lndon Theatre kept faith in him. They seen he was doing great work behind the scenes.

If he isnt sacked by end of the weekend then assuming he stays on.

You would think they would give the new manager a weeks preparation for Brentford game.