Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
2 weeks of media speculating and inventing stories of what is happening and what would/could/should happen at United. This place is gonna lose their heads reading all those speculations.

Why are people reacting to Neville as if he works for the club or is anyway involved in the decision to stick or twist?
Not that he’s involved in the decision, but he does work with them on the stadium and redevelopment doesn’t he?

It’s also frustrating because he’s obviously going to be correct and we have to put up with months more of Ten Hags stupid fecking face

Without a contingency plan, I hope that doesn't happen. Not because ETH isn't deserving it but because I don't see anything to be gained in pissing away 18 million in fees and the decision makers losing face for rectifying a mistake done only 2 month ago. When the right candidate is available, of course, go for it and get it over with. But when that candidate isn't available then there is no point in switching just for the sake of it. Especially taking into consideration how badly the last interim scenarios went for the club - both for different reasons of course.

That logic simply doesn't hold. There is a point at which performance and results reach a level which simply isn't sustainable anymore. When that happens, a change must take place - not "for the sake of it", but because continuing with someone who demonstrably is not capable of delivering and who you no longer think is going to get to that point is self-evidently irrational and counterproductive. If management still have confidence that EtH will turn this around and deliver successful football, then that's fine, they should stick with him (and I'll hope they're seeing something I'm not). But if not, going on with him until "the right candidate is available", whatever the feck that is, is the height of bad judgment.

The cost and uncertainties of change is not a good enough reason to continue with something that you know isn't good enough and isn't going to work out. What does it say to the players, the football world at large and the fans if you do that? Who are you then, as a club? "Yeah, we knew that project was dead, but we didn't really know how to fix it, so we just let it slide until a solution turned up"? Do you seriously think decision makers won't "lose face" if they do that? Pretending not to have made a mistake that is obvious to everyone else is the surest way to lose face, and ensure that your face stays lost for a loooong time.

Also, I assume there actually is a contingency plan. If not, given the circumstances, it's the most stunning oversight this club is guilty of this century, which would be saying something.

Last edited:
Still no sack rumours? If he's not sacked by tomorrow I'm going to be very disappointed in INEOS and the new exec team. They don't seem to be any different than the previous regime. Just dithering on key decisions and allowing the standards at this club to continue to decline.

Who is? Gary Neville?

The “proper footballing structure”.

You seem confused, so to clarify - Neville’s comments seem to echo sentiment by other journos that Ten Hag has done enough for a stay of execution. I then commented that these were supposed to be the data driven football guys (this - evidently - being dependent on said sentiment being accurate).

Neville has publicly stated that he will never call for a manager to be sacked countless times yet people lose their mind everytime he sticks to his word.

Aye, but if we engage with your analogy, it's not sinking, it's rudderless, and lifeboats are often rudderless by design.
It's not sinking? You've got to be joking? It's fecking sank already and the lifeboats have sunk too. We're in 14th and what, 5 points off the bottom 3 with everything getting worse. If he continues we will be in the bottom 3 before the Jan transfer window!

At this moment Ten Hag,is no longer our biggest problem,he has already failed and this is his level, Ineos, their ineptitude, indecisiveness and basement level standards, are. And that is more worrying and you can see why they have a terrible record in sports management. I dread the day they actually achieve complete ownership, if ever they are that ambitious. Utter shambles they are presiding over.

We probably can't afford to do it. In which case we're fecked.

There are mixed reports on that. But if it does cost round £15m to do so then I can understand why they are reluctant. It’s just sucks for United supporters either way.

Because I still believe hes a good coach and can turn things around. I am not arguing that he shouldnt be sacked at all but I want him to be given some time. Lets see how the next few games go if hes not sacked tomorrow.
He's had over 2 years already ffs! If the structure etc was so bad then how the feck has he finished 3rd and won 2 cups? You can't have it both ways.

“We will get there, and we trust the players, and one day it will click.”

Genuine quote from ten Hag today.

The only worry is that he knows Ashworth quite well and is one of Sky's most high profile pundits. This could essentially be an INEOS brief. But hopefully it's just an opinion piece. The no United fan wants to see the manager sacked part is tone deaf.

It's pretty tone deaf especially when the United supporters were singing Van Nistelrooys name today, which is no coincidence after all the rumours. That's as close as you'll ever get to them asking for a manager to be sacked.

The “proper footballing structure”.

You seem confused, so to clarify - Neville’s comments seem to echo sentiment by other journos that Ten Hag has done enough for a stay of execution. I then commented that these were supposed to be the data driven football guys (this - evidently - being dependent on said sentiment being accurate).
Ahh. So you’re making a monumental assumption based on third and forth hand information from journalists and a pundit.

Understood!

There are mixed reports on that. But if it does cost round £15m to do so then I can understand why they are reluctant. It’s just sucks for United supporters either way.

Considering how it was publicly stated that it took 7 years to pay off David Moyes do fans believe managers get their settlement pay off in one lump sum?

I’m confused to why people always care about a pay off which normally gets distributed across the remaining of their terminated contract.

Great post. Ten Hag absolutely out foxed Pep and Klopp. We just need to give him a bit more time. I’d be delighted with a domestic cup trophy every year. How many managers can say that?

The problem with that train of thought is that we are on a trajectory that screams relegation and it's not even hyberbole. The underlying metrics and actual results screams that. On top of that we are routinely embarrassed in Europe to boot.

We all know he will stay on despite beating his own record in having the worst start a year ago.

INEOS will give him another lifeline, he has more lives than a cat. However, it is delaying the inevitable and where we end up at the end of the season will be on INEOS. At least now at least we have a chance of getting to top 4. If we wait until the next international break I am afraid it’ll be too late.

I've been EtH out since the Spuds game but I think we should put today's result into context.

As an isolated game, getting a 0-0 draw at Villa Park when they had an extra days rest and played their European game at home while we had to travel back from Portugal and then visit their ground... is not a bad result.

The bad result was Spurs and before that Liverpool

The fundamental problem is the complete lack of cohesion, the rambling substitutions of a mad man and the complete ineptitude of man-management.

There is no rhythm, there is no cohesive direction, all there is now is a guy who knows he's out of his depth and probably wrecked from poor mental health.

We just need to put him out of his misery at this point.

He'll be staying. It's the cheapest option for a club that has lost £260m in the last 3 years.

If Ten Hag is our manager at the end of the international break, this forum will need to be institutionalised.

Myself included.

It will be too late by then - we'll get relegated at this rate. 5 goals scored in the PL of which 3 came in the Southampton game. Our stats this season are abysmal and he has no injury excuse this time.
That was sarcasm mate. I wanted him gone in the summer.

At this moment Ten Hag,is no longer our biggest problem,he has already failed and this is his level, Ineos, their ineptitude, indecisiveness and basement level standards, are. And that is more worrying and you can see why they have a terrible record in sports management. I dread the day they actually achieve complete ownership, if ever they are that ambitious. Utter shambles they are presiding over.

This isn’t INEOS though, the decision lies with Berrada a Manchester United employee with zero affiliation with INEOS other than they hired him.

We're 7th if we reverse the table ? Turn that frown upside down count of thinking ? I'm sure there are some alternative facts out there we can use.

Considering how it was publicly stated that it took 7 years to pay off David Moyes do fans believe managers get their settlement pay off in one lump sum?

I’m confused to why people always care about a pay off which normally gets distributed across the remaining of their terminated contract.
Well Ten Hag would have less than 2 years left on his contract so we would be paying that sum over that period. 7-7.5m a year over next few years? Sounds better and affordable, but don’t know whether we can do that or not.

“We will get there, and we trust the players, and one day it will click.”

Genuine quote from ten Hag today.

I'm really curious if he actually believes that. He dropped De Ligt and Martinez today so he clearly doesn't trust the players. He abandoned his usual gung-ho tactics to go more compact today so he also clearly doesn't believe in his own system. I'm not sure what exactly will click with more time.

There has been a fair bit of exaggerating on both sides of the camp. Whilst we aren't playing CL quality football we also aren't as consistently bad as what's been painted. The Liverpool and Spurs game were extremely damaging to the image, but Southampton, Palace, Villa and extended periods of Fulham+Brighton were better.

No one is happy with that level by the way, it obviously needs to be better than that too.

We’ve scored five goals in seven games. And three of those were in one game against a very poor Southampton team. Only Palace and Southampton have scored the same number of goals or fewer.

That is atrocious. So better than what? What is the benchmark you’re using here for comparison?

Ahh. So you’re making a monumental assumption based on third and forth hand information from journalists and a pundit.

Understood!

I don’t know if you’re being purposely obtuse or if you just do a really good disingenuous impression. Same end, nonetheless.

Yes, I’m commenting on the sentiment by journalists by saying “I can’t believe what I’m reading, these are supposed to be the data driven football people.” What’s the monumental assumption here? Please answer. Because what I implied is that if they’re indeed data driven football people, there’s no way these reports are accurate, and if the reports are accurate then they can’t possibly be the former.

I don’t know if you’re being purposely obtuse or if you just do a really good disingenuous impression. Same end, nonetheless.

Yes, I’m commenting on the sentiment by journalists by saying “I can’t believe what I’m reading, these are supposed to be the data driven football people.” What’s the monumental assumption here? Please answer. Because what I implied is that if they’re indeed data driven football people, there’s no way these reports are accurate, and if the reports are accurate then they can’t possibly be the former.
Your first mistake. Taking what journalists say as gospel and accepting it as accurate.

We’re fecked!

He surely has something on them at this point. And they worried they will leak it if they fire him. Feck me! Grow some balls and do your fecking job as executives and get him the feck out. Just cause not firing one manager worked 30 years doesn’t mean they are all the same.

I've been EtH out since the Spuds game but I think we should put today's result into context.

As an isolated game, getting a 0-0 draw at Villa Park when they had an extra days rest and played their European game at home while we had to travel back from Portugal and then visit their ground... is not a bad result.

The bad result was Spurs and before that Liverpool

The fundamental problem is the complete lack of cohesion, the rambling substitutions of a mad man and the complete ineptitude of man-management.

There is no rhythm, there is no cohesive direction, all there is now is a guy who knows he's out of his depth and probably wrecked from poor mental health.

We just need to put him out of his misery at this point.
To be fair, Villa have a weaker squad and a lot more injuries to key players.

McGinn (captain), Onana and Ramsey all start if available.

That was Cash's first appearance in over 6 weeks + they lost Konsa to injury early in the 1st half. Bailey carrying a knock as well.

Mings and Kamara are still recovering from serious knee injuries.

It sort of explains why they were flat after having to do a lot of defending vs Bayern.

We were only missing Shaw and Mount in terms of potential starters.

Without a contingency plan, I hope that doesn't happen. Not because ETH isn't deserving it but because I don't see anything to be gained in pissing away 18 million in fees and the decision makers losing face for rectifying a mistake done only 2 month ago. When the right candidate is available, of course, go for it and get it over with. But when that candidate isn't available then there is no point in switching just for the sake of it. Especially taking into consideration how badly the last interim scenarios went for the club - both for different reasons of course.

Sunken cost fallacy

He surely has something on them at this point. And they worried they will leak it if they fire him.

Him and Seg probably have everyone at those P.Diddy parties threatening to release.

The man sounds absolutely Teflon at the moment and he couldn’t have started the reason any worse.