Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Your first mistake. Taking what journalists say as gospel and accepting it as accurate.

Your reading comprehension is not my damage, it’s yours. The first sentence is literally “I can’t believe what I’m reading

Read this slowly, as many times as you need to get there:

Yes, I’m commenting on the sentiment by journalists by saying “I can’t believe what I’m reading, these are supposed to be the data driven football people.”

what I implied is that if they’re indeed data driven football people, there’s no way these reports are accurate, and if the reports are accurate then they can’t possibly be the former.

Not because ETH isn't deserving it but because I don't see anything to be gained in pissing away 18 million in fees and the decision makers losing face for rectifying a mistake done only 2 month ago. When the right candidate is available, of course, go for it and get it over with. But when that candidate isn't available then there is no point in switching just for the sake of it. Especially taking into consideration how badly the last interim scenarios went for the club - both for different reasons of course.

Zero sense. That money is being paid one way or another to Hag. Doesn't matter what point we sack him.

In fact, the sooner we sack him the less he'll be paid overall because, as with all sacked managers, he'll agree a deal to get an up front payment less than the total sum.

Well Ten Hag would have less than 2 years left on his contract so we would be paying that sum over that period. 7-7.5m a year over next few years? Sounds better and affordable, but don’t know whether we can do that or not.
I'd love it if we called his bluff and did that.

The word "still" is funny. As if the last two games had given any reason to ease the pressure on him.
This is all taking way too long and if we are that hesitant to make decisions going forward than lord help us.

That’s where the clubs standards are at these days, where a couple of draws are deemed good enough to keep the manager who currently has us sitting 14th in the league with a negative goal difference. Pathetic.

How confident are we that he still goes within the next few days? Our form can’t be ignored. The result today means nothing. He played that way to hang onto his job.

Ten Hag is not the worst Utd manager in modern era even if we forget Moyes, LVG and Ole. In 10 years my kids wont know we finished in the top four twice under Ole but they will know we won two trophies under ten Hag. And its too early to say DeLigt, Ugarte, Zirkzee, Mazraou and Yoro (who hasnt played yet) as shit players. Dont you think?
Tbh I dont remember who won the fa cup 5 years ago either. I can look it up on google, but I will forget within the next 1 hour or so. Real Madrid won 36 league titles and 15 CL, they are the biggest club in the world (its funny that people here laugh at Real Madrid underachievement in the league yet they won nearly twice as many title as you do). I read somewhere that Barcelona won over 100 trophies or something but who cares. Its all about the CL and the League.

This isn’t INEOS though, the decision lies with Berrada a Manchester United employee with zero affiliation with INEOS other than they hired him.
And they have executive authority over him, the Glazers ceded that to them and if they wanted him gone he would be. If the football people he has around are twiddling their thumbs he should be reading the riot act and if Ineos read one to him he would act. You don't just get Berrada in and leave the club on autopilot, that's negligence.

How confident are we that he still goes within the next few days? Our form can’t be ignored. The result today means nothing. He played that way to hang onto his job.
I can’t see it

I feel like when the time comes, I’ll know. I had that “feeling” with all the others (bar Mourinho, who I thought would be given longer)

I don’t think we’re there yet with Ten Hag for some reason

That’s where the clubs standards are at these days, where a couple of draws are deemed good enough to keep the manager who currently has us sitting 14th in the league with a negative goal difference. Pathetic.

I just listened to Neville and honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. Like he is purposly trying provoce the fans. "Before the game you would have snapped hands off for a draw", "eased the pressure", "kept the wolfes at bay" and some other crap about buying time. After a fecking draw against Villa that fielded Ross Barkley and Tielemans in midfield and sees us at 14th place in the table. After spending millions. I get the sense these guys are living in some parallel universe. Their delusion reaches other dimenions at this stage.
Also talked about how it would take the "new structure" 2-3 years to fix this team. Why? You see other teams with much less economic power do it in 6 months. Staggering the amount of excuses.

Last edited:
I'm 75% sure that he'll be the manager for Brentford, which he'll win.

Sad times.

He surely has to go at some point over next few days. He has no plan now and just managing game to game, throwing shit at the wall and hoping something will stick.

Something can still be salvaged from the season if he is sacked now, delaying the inevitable makes no sense.

Your reading comprehension is not my damage, it’s yours. The first sentence is literally “I can’t believe what I’m reading

Read this slowly, as many times as you need to get there:
You can’t believe what you’re reading when watching a video clip.

Speaks volumes.

How fecking annoying is it gonna be when he turns up at a new club and suddenly plays possession football with inferior players?

I just listened to Neville and honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. Like he is purposly trying provoce the fans. "Before the game you would have snapped hands off for a draw", "eased the pressure", "kept the wilves at bay" and some other crap about buying time. After a fecking draw against Villa that fielded Ross Barkley and Tielemans in midfield and sees us at 14th place in the table. After spending millions. I get the sense these guys are living in some parallel universe at this time. Their delusion reaches other dimenions at this stage.
Also talked about it would take the "new structure" 2-3 years to fix this team. Why? You see other teams with muss less economic Power do it in 6 months. Stsggering the amount of excuses.
Tielemans is a good player. But they didn't have a natural DM without Onana and Kamara, yeah.

Don't forget that Brighton beat us with Gilmour and Milner in midfield. Yikes.

I think it's fair to say that all logic would say he goes, but you'd still be surprised if it happens.

And they have executive authority over him, the Glazers ceded that to them and if they wanted him gone he would be. If the football people he has around are twiddling their thumbs he should be reading the riot act and if Ineos read one to him he would act. You don't just get Berrada in and leave the club on autopilot, that's negligence.

It’s not on autopilot it’s been ran by Berrada wether you like that or not is a different matter.

Sir Jim himself has said just recently the footballing people will make the decisions.

I just listened to Neville and honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. Like he is purposly trying provoce the fans. "Before the game you would have snapped hands off for a draw", "eased the pressure", "kept the wilves at bay" and some other crap about buying time. After a fecking draw against Villa that fielded Ross Barkley and Tielemans in midfield and sees us at 14th place in the table. After spending millions. I get the sense these guys are living in some parallel universe. Their delusion reaches other dimenions at this stage.
Also talked about it would take the "new structure" 2-3 years to fix this team. Why? You see other teams with muss less economic Power do it in 6 months. Stsggering the amount of excuses.

Aye, I’m getting real tired of Neville’s shtick. It’s infuriating listening to him talk about anything Utd related these days.

How fecking annoying is it gonna be when he turns up at a new club and suddenly plays possession football with inferior players?
Unlikely. Fast transitions are what he likes.

He adjusted more at Ajax. But having a squad with more quality than 99% of the league was a big help. Tadic was a cheat code in The Eredivisie. Honestly, he's like Messi in that division. 259 goal contributions from 290 games across 3 clubs.

Well he could easily do it in the Eredivsie couldn't he, but not sure that would be too annoying, he'd just be finding his level again.

Aye, I’m getting real tired of Neville’s shtick. It’s infuriating listening to him talk about anything Utd related these days.
If I saw Neville in person, I'd sing: "if the Nevilles can play for England, so can I!"

I'd also ask him what's the story behind his grandparents' thinking behind Neville Neville. Cruelty.

We have posters saying we are in a relegation fight whilst also 6 points off a CL spot. Yeah, I think it's clear which side is exaggerating.
By the same logic, we are literally 5 points away from a relegation spot. In fact, it's accurate to say we're closer to relegation than top 4. 'exaggerating' surely.

Absolutely zero chance that he goes. It’s wishful thinking of fans on here but it has hardly even been rumored. The Tuesday meeting is a scheduled one and has nothing to do with performance.

If anything we will probably give him another £200m to fix the squad.

I have a horrible feeling that they are trying to get someone who is not available until January 2025.

United’s Next 7 Fixtures before International's break for early Nocember 24

Brentford (Home) - Sat 19th October - EPL
Fernebache (Away) - Thu 24th October- EL
West Ham (Away) Sunday 27th October-EPL
Leicester (Home) - Wednesday 30th Oct - LC
Chelsea(Home) - Sunday 3rd November- EPL
PAOK (Home) - Thursday 7th November- EL
Leicester(Home) Sunday 10th November-EPl

It’s quite obvious that the meeting on Tuesday will decide that either RVN gets those 7 games or ETH like the cockroach that he is survives with a final ultimatum that the club expects 8-10 points minimum from those 4 EPL games, 4-6 Points from the two Europa League games and to beat Leicester at home in the 4th round of the Carabo cup.

The fact that 5 games out of the 7 are at Home means he must win at least 5 of the 7 games. However United’s home form this season in all competitions is as follows ;
P5 W2 D1 L2 GS9 GC7 these stats are hugely overestimated by our 7-0 win against Barnsley.

If the cockroach does survive, he will need a win against Brentford and if he that does not happen , then they will pull the trigger, a draw just won’t be enough, if this idiot remains and we get 3 or 4 points from those 4 EPL games, he’s definitely gone, you can’t have 11 or 12 points as Man United coach after 11 Games played, that would suggest United might be actually in a full blown relegation battle and probably sit 15th or 16th in the EPL.

ETH needs to win the next game, then win the game after that and the. Win away at West Ham, I think SJR will instruct the hierarchy will sack ETH if he doesn’t get at least 7 points from next 3 games

By the same logic, we are literally 5 points away from a relegation spot. In fact, it's accurate to say we're closer to relegation than top 4? 'exaggerating' surely.
We are closer to relegation both in points and performance.

We won’t get relegated obviously but won’t be surprised if we finish season closer to 18th than 4th.

I have a horrible feeling that they are trying to get someone who is not available until January 2025.

It’s quite obvious that the meeting on Tuesday will decide that either RVN gets those 7 games or ETH like the cockroach that he is survives with a final ultimatum that the club expects 8-10 points minimum from those 4 EPL games, 4-6 Points from the two Europa League games and to beat Leicester at home in the 4th round of the Carabo cup.

The fact that 5 games out of the 7 are at Home means he must win at least 5 of the 7 games. However United’s home form this season in all competitions is as follows ;
P5 W2 D1 L2 GS9 GC7 these stats are hugely overestimated by our 7-0 win against Barnsley.

If the cockroach does survive, he will need a win against Brentford and if he that does not happen , then they will pull the trigger, a draw just won’t be enough, if this idiot remains and we get 3 or 4 points from those 4 EPL games, he’s definitely gone, you can’t have 11 or 12 points as Man United coach after 11 Games played, that would suggest United might be actually in a full blown relegation battle and probably sit 15th or 16th in the EPL.

ETH needs to win the next game, then win the game after that and the. Win away at West Ham, I think SJR will instruct the hierarchy will sack ETH if he doesn’t get at least 7 points from next 3 games
I can see us sneaking a win against Brentford, stinking at West Ham, maybe getting a point v Chelsea and then him having another game to save his job v Leicester that he will inevitably win by a goal. I don’t see us breaking the cycle of being horrible for several games in a row only to give him 1-2 games to save his job and having a very minimal qualification for success in that game.

An assembly of big names means that the team is by design largely built around big names otherwise you said nothing. A team that has at the most 2 or 3 big names isn't an assembly of big names, if you have 10 or 15 then it makes sense. Here you listed 8 players across 8 years and the majority didn't even play together, we never built an assembly of big names.

And it's also dubious to consider the signing of two young talents like Sancho and Pogba as big name signings. Those are normal signings of the best prospects by a big club.
Ok so you explain to me what I meant when I used those words. Lets leave it at that. It isn't adding anything to the current debate.

Problem is, this season is heading into disaster territory under this coach. It's almost neglectful to allow him to continue.

I'm at the stage where I hope the Glazers step in and tell Ineos to get rid of this fecker.
I agree. And I totally agree, that something should be done about it. As I said, I am only worried about the successor. If it turns into a RR situation, we won't get something out of it, if it turns into an Ole situation, it is just as bad. I never had too big of expectations for the season to begin with so it would be fine for me to end in no mans land as long as we can improve on some things. But undeniably, even that doesn't look too likely at the moment.
That logic simply doesn't hold. There is a point at which performance and results reach a level which simply isn't sustainable anymore. When that happens, a change must take place - not "for the sake of it", but because continuing with someone who demonstrably is not capable of delivering and who you no longer think is going to get to that point is self-evidently irrational and counterproductive. If management still have confidence that EtH will turn this around and deliver successful football, then that's fine, they should stick with him (and I'll hope they're seeing something I'm not). But if not, going on with him until "the right candidate is available", whatever the feck that is, is the height of bad judgment.
I am worried, that if we bring in the wrong guy, we will simply prolong the drag. I agree with you, keeping everything as it is, is bad. But changing it up only to end up in another Ole cycle is even worse in my eyes. As long as that doesn't happen, I agree with sacking him. But for now we don't know about the current set of decision makers and what they are capable and incapable of.
The cost and uncertainties of change is not a good enough reason to continue with something that you know isn't good enough and isn't going to work out. What does it say to the players, the football world at large and the fans if you do that? Who are you then, as a club? "Yeah, we knew that project was dead, but we didn't really know how to fix it, so we just let it slide until a solution turned up"?
Well yeah kind of? :D I mean, at this point, sacking the manager is already admitting that they made a mistake last summer. But sacking him now without an at least good plan what to do, is following a bad decision with a dumb one. At least in my eyes. Also I think, stuff could be handled differently internally and externally. Given that we now have some continuety in the club, it would be much harder for a player to simply "don't give a shit" even when they know the manager will leave at christmas or in the summer. It could be agreed that Ruud and ETH share the position, internally, or what ever, that he has us play like today without the more "complex" ideas he tried to implement. I know, it is far from ideal but I am seriously worried about adding in another factor in the formula.
Do you seriously think decision makers won't "lose face" if they do that? Pretending not to have made a mistake that is obvious to everyone else is the surest way to lose face, and ensure that your face stays lost for a loooong time.

Also, I assume there actually is a contingency plan. If not, given the circumstances, it's the most stunning oversight this club is guilty of this century, which would be saying something.
Well yeah, I don't really like to run on hope, not my nature but that is what I said, I have no objection as long as there is some plan in place.
Sunken cost fallacy
Definitely. But going for the manager once again can also be seen as impulsive and reactive. Every school of thought has its edges. I can see why people want him sacked, I also don't think, he has it in him to turn it completely around. But just getting rid is often just a special effect. It ups the mood for a little while but thats about it. And just for the record, I'd be happy to get rid of half the squad and the manager so it isn't as if I am afraid of going at it - it just doesn't sit right to make the manager pay alone for things the whole group lacked to do.

He surely has to go at some point over next few days. He has no plan now and just managing game to game, throwing shit at the wall and hoping something will stick.

Something can still be salvaged from the season if he is sacked now, delaying the inevitable makes no sense.
Agree with this. We’re only 7 games in. Still everything to play for but the longer we wait the less likely we’ll achieve what we need to

We’ve scored five goals in seven games. And three of those were in one game against a very poor Southampton team. Only Palace and Southampton have scored the same number of goals or fewer.

That is atrocious. So better than what? What is the benchmark you’re using here for comparison?
Goals scored isn't the sole metric to judge a performance, so I'm not taking this post seriously.

Absolutely zero chance that he goes. It’s wishful thinking of fans on here but it has hardly even been rumored. The Tuesday meeting is a scheduled one and has nothing to do with performance.

If anything we will probably give him another £200m to fix the squad.
I was thinking that. Usually there’s a lot more noise coming out. However, I do think the leaks have quietened under INEOS.

very classy