Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
In a world where Liverpool sits top of the table and Manchester United are flirting with relegation, Manchester United legend Gary Neville looks at our performances and results and thinks "let's have some more of that", just because he has some fecked up ideology that says no manager should ever be sacked.
A few months ago I might have looked at our disciplined defense today and thought "yeah, there's some hope." But the last eighteen months of false dawn's have taught me that nothing will change, we'll continue to be shite, and when you really think about it Aston Villa were monumentally shite today and we got lucky.

We haven't got a God given right to win but, feck me, the club deserves better than this shite.

This situation has become completely desperate. This is as bad as it gets for a club like United and there's still inaction from the execs. They need to swallow their pride, admit their mistake and fix the problem they caused in the summer.

Are you aware you are quoting a journo? Does it really make sense to analyse their phrasing?

Didn't Athletic report 17.5 million?
Yes, I’m well aware. He’s also a very reliable journalist and judging by the tone of what he’s saying since the game it sounds more likely Ten Hags staying than going. That may change though, let’s hope for the clubs sake it does.

Sounds like he's going nowhere then. The fact that INEOS came in, looked at this idiot scraping 8th place in the league and thought "yes, let's give him a contract extention and build our squad around him" is seriously alarming.

We're fecked, aren't we? I've never known a situation where everybody knows a manager needs to be sacked, the fans practically all want him gone, the results and performances are diabolical, and yet not only is he not sacked, he's backed to the tune of another £200m.

I went through this despair with Ole, I never thought we'd sink like this again. We'd never stand by a falling manager for far longer than needed. Yet here we are. We really are a basket case.

My worry now is that these guys in charge can't handle the pressure and scrutiny of leading this club, frozen by fear of making a wrong decision. That's what the summer was, and that's what is happening now. At least under previous regimes they had the nuts to get rid of a club legend, legendary coaches, Sir Alex's choice etc. These guys can't even pull the trigger on some Dutch bloke nobody would give two shits about in a weeks time.

Yes, I’m well aware. He’s also a very reliable journalist and judging by the tone of what he’s saying since the game it sounds more likely Ten Hags staying than going. That may change though, let’s hope for the clubs sake it does.
Reliable or not, I don't think, he will be allowed to quote word for word.

The simple fact is the club is broke and FFP will stop them spending £15-17 million on getting shut of TH. Unless they can do some fancy jiggery pokery with finance, this mantra 'we dont want to let him go after x games' will go on for ages, maybe until the new year.

Such a shit result because I think it increases the chance of him not going.

If we'd have won at least there would have been a positive of 3 points.

You really have to question the ambition and ruthlesness of INEOS if he now remains in charge.

Yeah I have accepted he's here until next break

Oookay mate. You obviously know what you're talking about. Not being scientists, why would they be affected by things like confidence and belief. Stands to reason.
Thanks for that.
But I will take it on board next time someone at work is not meeting their targets due to lack of confidence and belief in our company but I do fear he will be given his notice and will be out of a job.

Apparent Joel Glazer is flying over on Tue. Hopefully this is a sign that ETH is going to be relieved of his duties.

Re the £17m, I read recently that Ineos do not have to pay that.

Yeah I have accepted he's here until next break

If they didn't do it last summer, or now, then they're not doing it any time soon. In fact, if we can string 3 or 4 wins together, no matter the opponent, they'll probably give him a new contract. For reasons unknown to everyone, they're seemingly all in on this guy. Perhaps they're relying on Gary Neville for advice, SJR does have a penchant for nostalgia by the looks of it (eg hiring RVN).

Performances. We've had more encouraging performances structurally and in terms of underlying data than we did last season where we were wide open and fortunate to win a lot of games.

I am not saying these are good enough by the way, I'm just saying we've had better performances vs Villa Southampton Palace and in extended periods of Fulham and Brighton than we did last season.
Somehow I feel like you would still be arguing his case if the end of the season comes and we're 17th because we didn't get relegated. You never tire of playing devil's advocate

Sounds like he's going nowhere then. The fact that INEOS came in, looked at this idiot scraping 8th place in the league and thought "yes, let's give him a contract extention and build our squad around him" is seriously alarming.
Another way to look at it, and I'm not saying I'm right, is;

Twenty years ago a bunch of idiots buy the club, and don't know what they're doing. They hire senior management, who are idiots who don't know what they're doing. They hire managers who are idiots who don't know what they're doing, who hire staff who...

And on and on it goes. The proverbial blind leading the blind, for two decades. Anyone who was at the club before the idiots turned up will be ignored in place of whichever idiots are friends with the higher up idiots, so no matter how good you are you won't get a seat at the decision table, because Dickhead McGee has played golf with Arseface Arseson for the last ten years, and they swap wives and dogs at the weekend for some orgy feck fun. It's a story as old as time.

And then INEOS rock up. Sir Jim doesn't know what he's doing. BUT he knows this because he's not an idiot, so he hires some of the best in the industry. They're put on gardening leave and, despite how many folk here seem to think that it's fine to break that and securely work for the club at full capacity, it's not. They may have sneakily been involved in many higher level decisions but, ultimately, they're being actioned by historical idiots who don't know what they're doing, hired by idiots who don't etc etc.

The reality is that "INEOS", ie our new senior team, have only been in the job for a few months. Omar has a question mark against his name because he's been promoted into the role of CEO, but the rest have a strong track record in the sport at their current levels and I have confidence that eventually they'll stop sniffing glue and realise that Ten Hag is the absolute fecking worst.

Last edited:
Inappropriate Content
The simple fact is the club is broke and FFP will stop them spending £15-17 million on getting shut of TH. Unless they can do some fancy jiggery pokery with finance, this mantra 'we dont want to let him go after x games' will go on for ages, maybe until the new year.
If the reason truly is financial, then that makes the decision to keep him in the summer even [worse]. If you know you won't be able to sack a coach in the worst case scenario, then the last thing you do is give them a fecking contract extension, especially on the back of our worst ever PL and European performances in a season. If the decision isn't financial, well then that's even more worrying.

I feel like a lot of us want to believe in INEOS, but him still being in a job at the end of this week will cause me to lose all faith I had in them, and that is looking likely. There really is no defending it from any rational point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goals scored isn't the sole metric to judge a performance, so I'm not taking this post seriously.
When will you take it seriously? His team for 3 years have barely scored. In fact, it's gotten worse over his time in charge. In this case you probably should take is a serious metric. We haven't scored in the league for 3 games against shite opposition. Tottenham play with such a high line perfectly setup for us to play against and yet we still couldn't score. Goals scored is absolutely a metric you should take seriously.

I went through this despair with Ole, I never thought we'd sink like this again.

I'm still perplexed at how the messaging a week ago was "has next 2 games to save job" adjacent (which was already tragically funny). And he barely hangs on with two draws in both games, and all of a sudden the reports seem to convey that he's done enough to keep his job. What the hell is happening to us?

When will you take it seriously? His team for 3 years have barely scored. In fact, it's gotten worse over his time in charge. In this case you probably should take is a serious metric. We haven't scored in the league for 3 games against shite opposition. Tottenham play with such a high line perfectly setup for us to play against and yet we still couldn't score. Goals scored is absolutely a metric you should take seriously.

It’s not even that complex. What you say is true, but why are people parping on about performances?

We have 3 wins all season in all comps. We are 14th in the league on negative goal difference.

The performances are atrocious. We have a good sample size of games to see how badly we will do with this guy in charge. There is ZERO sign of any major project in the off thats suddenly going to spark into life. This is all it will ever be, and all it has been since march 2022. We wanted to believe that ETH’s new manager bounce was the start of something bigger. It wasnt.

‘we aren’t conceding 30 shots a game’. Its like when Alan Partridge says ‘still, good news about the chocolate oranges’.

We’re 14th in the league and a 0-0 draw to Villa is now considered a very good result for us.

This is the absolute lowest point of the last 11 years.

"Before anyone thinks about excuses, no, we have to win every game. I know that. The team knows this and it doesn't matter who is available we will focus on every game and in every game have the mindset that we have to win."

He has said this before the Southampton match.

So 1 win of those 6 matches (The result against Barnsley was amazing but this match should have always been a win)......and now he only says "Judge us in May" :lol:

Plus 60 minutes against Southampton and 45 minutes against Crystal Palace with fantastic football.....but the other 435 minutes were so terrible.

I think giving him a contract extension in the summer was the dumbest decision I can think of. Even if they thought that he should continue, I hated this idea that you need an extension just because you don't want the speculation. It's exactly what we do with players handing out ridiculous & unwarranted contracts which leads to a mercenary culture at the club from top to bottom. Let him be under pressure for his job with no further contract, what's the worst that could have happened in that scenario? Instead we ended up with even more money tied up to a useless manager. Not a problem though because we can always get 1-2 million from selling the shit winger he got us for 80 million