Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good point. But it needs to said, that the task became more and more difficult as the squad deteriorated more and more into an assembly of big names and big promise but without hard work and right mentality. Also I think, Ole doesn't really suit your point in being unwilling to adapt - with him it was rather his inability to adapt (or recognize the issues).

The squad has never been an assembly of big names, that one is a total fallacy. And it definitely applies to Ole who had his favorites who could play absolute trash and still start week in week out, he also refused to rotate the team in spite of the fact that he experienced a catastrophic series of muscular injuries during his interim after playing the same 11 into the ground.

Surely INEOS realise that even if we go on a run (like 2-3 wins in a row lol), it will come crashing down hard.

He’s not getting sacked, yet. Make your peace with it. The band of clowns got together and decided to back him. Never got the feeling especially after seeing his reaction, mannerisms today that he’s getting the boot.

Yeah, they were steps to being us here. We need more than a bounce.
I'm happy enough to see some standards set by INEOS, which would be sacking him.

I'm not demanding anything else. It's up to them to find a permanent replacement during the interim spell. That's all we can ask.

Anyway, I'm starting to accept that he'll probably see the season out. He'll pick up a few results at some point. It's bad enough being 6 points behind 4th after 7 games, yet nobody even seems to care that we're 10 points behind 1st after three pre-seasons and over 600 million spent on players. 4th is basically seen as a trophy now.

Crazy times.

Most managers aren't successful including the ones that used to be, that's why pretty much all top clubs cycle through managers. The reality of the matter is that United appointed managers that weren't good enough at the time of their appointment, it happens to all clubs, the good ones recognize and rectify it quickly, the others fail to recognize it or have no clue about why the manager failed and repeat the same mistake.

And it's fair to take into account potential candidates short coming but you need to keep in mind that ETH is worse than all of them simply because he has proven to not be adequate for more than two years. The others could prove to be as bad but it is unknown while we know exactly what ETH is.
Lets say ten Hag gets sacked now. Who do you think should replace him and do you believe his replacement would bring us back to the glory days? Or will we continue the cycle of giving each new manager two years and if they dont succeed sack them and find another until we find the successful one? Even if ten Hag is to go now I worry about whether we will the right manager, support him and be patient enough for him to build the winning team.

I'm happy enough to see some standards set by INEOS, which would be sacking him.

I'm not demanding anything else. It's up to them to find a permanent replacement during the interim spell. That's all we can ask.

Anyway, I'm starting to accept that he'll probably see the season out. He'll pick up a few results at some point. It's bad enough being 6 points behind 4th after 7 games, yet nobody even seems to care that we're 10 points behind 1st after three pre-seasons and over 600 million spent on players. 4th is basically seen as a trophy now.

Crazy times.
The only saving grace is that they have access to data that makes this make sense.

Ole chose not to sign a DM, that's on him. Didn't he spend close to 400m? That 2nd place finish done so much heavy lifting. They're both absolutely nowhere near good enough.
Ole was nowhere near backed to the extent ten Hag has been.
ten Hag has spent like £170m more in the same amount of windows as Ole had.

ten Hag also appears to have had much more control over who is and isn't signed whereas under Ole, it appeared very much a team effort where Ole had a valued opinion but not the final say.

Ole was nowhere near backed to the extent ten Hag has been.
ten Hag has spent like £170m more in the same amount of windows as Ole had.

ten Hag also appears to have had much more control over who is and isn't signed whereas under Ole, it appeared very much a team effort where Ole had a valued opinion but not the final say.

Yeah, they're both pretty crap.

Any early optimism over INEOS is going out the window if Ten Hag is still here by Wednesday.

Ashworth isn't an idiot, he can surely see what the rest of the world can see. This manager is finished, we're well beyond the point of no return.
Are we sure that the people in charge aren’t idiots though? After all, they all watched last season and thought it is a good idea to continue with EtH as manager, even reward him with an extra year of contract (8m or whatever it is).

I know that they technically were not in charge back then, but it is very hard to see how they didn’t have any input in that and didn’t tell to the people who were in charge back then that it is a terrible idea to waste another season in EtH. And then, I think both of them were in charge when United executed the option to extend EtH’s contract.

In my eyes, they’re morons until proven otherwise. Not even Ed fecking Woodward and John Murtough did not make fools of themselves as Ineos have done so far. Despite them being very shit, they still had some very low standards, while Ineos seem to completely lack any sort of standard.

There has been a fair bit of exaggerating on both sides of the camp. Whilst we aren't playing CL quality football we also aren't as consistently bad as what's been painted. The Liverpool and Spurs game were extremely damaging to the image, but Southampton, Palace, Villa and extended periods of Fulham+Brighton were better.

No one is happy with that level by the way, it obviously needs to be better than that too.
We are 14th in the league after 7 games, on 8 points, with a -3 GD, i think there is only 1 side doing the exaggerating...

Anyone happy with a mid table United shouldn't belong here, the standard of fans these days is a joke, I remember many wanted Fergie sacked for performing poorly but defending this current side is beyond belief

Aye, but if we engage with your analogy, it's not sinking, it's rudderless, and lifeboats are often rudderless by design.
Look at the league table and tell me again we're not sinking, 14th after 7 games. That's beyond bad.

The only saving grace is that they have access to data that makes this make sense.
You actually think it's acceptable because of some data that mere mortals don't have access to? That we've just been unlucky for 19 months or something.

Of course he does. He will have been given assurances behind the scenes.

Anyone waiting for him to be dismissed tomorrow will be severely disappointed. We will either hear nothing (most likely) or will publicly back him.

He’s here to stay because we don’t care about results. I will travel to Brentford game in two weeks and fully expecting him in the dugout and for us to be horrible once again.

Lets say ten Hag gets sacked now. Who do you think should replace him and do you believe his replacement would bring us back to the glory days? Or will we continue the cycle of giving each new manager two years and if they dont succeed sack them and find another until we find the successful one? Even if ten Hag is to go now I worry about whether we will the right manager, support him and be patient enough for him to build the winning team.

Personally I don't aim for the glory days, at least not on the short to mid term. I aim for a competent coach that is willing to actually organize his team and make it play consistently like a coached team. Someone like Tuchel fit that bill but there is probably plenty of other managers that would. And yes, if a manager fails you sack them and move to someone else that's how professional sport works everywhere and especially at the highest level.

I feel like I’m in some alternate timeline where a draw with Porto in the Europa league and a draw with Aston Villa that leaves us in 14th are somehow deemed to be good results?

If we had just come off of the back of a really positive season and a top 4 finish, i would agree we need to give him time.We have had to endure a really poor season last year, the worst we have had in the premier league. The same things are happening again. This idea that majority of fans still support him i feel is wrong, unless you are polling opposition fans as well.

What a pathetically smooth brain he has. "No United fan wants to see Ten Hag to lose his job" :lol:

I don't get why people like Neville keep trotting this out. It was a bit different with Ole because he is a club legend but I think the vast majority of fans couldn't give a flying feck what happens to Ten Hag as long as he's not here in 2 weeks.

Have Ineos not learnt anything from the FA cup final? This narrative of 'doing enough to survive' is the most pathetic excuse for dealing with the inevitable I have ever heard.
A dull 0-0 at Villa is now enough to save United manager’s job. Let that sink in.

Are we sure that the people in charge aren’t idiots though? After all, they all watched last season and thought it is a good idea to continue with EtH as manager, even reward him with an extra year of contract (8m or whatever it is).

I know that they technically were not in charge back then, but it is very hard to see how they didn’t have any input in that and didn’t tell to the people who were in charge back then that it is a terrible idea to waste another season in EtH. And then, I think both of them were in charge when United executed the option to extend EtH’s contract.

In my eyes, they’re morons until proven otherwise. Not even Ed fecking Woodward and John Murtough did not make fools of themselves as Ineos have done so far. Despite them being very shit, they still had some very low standards, while Ineos seem to completely lack any sort of standard.

Ashworth has said keeping Ten Hag wasn't his decision. If he's still in the dugout in 2 weeks then it IS his decision and he'll have to own it.

Of course he does. He will have been given assurances behind the scenes.

Anyone waiting for him to be dismissed tomorrow will be severely disappointed. We will either hear nothing (most likely) or will publicly back him.

He’s here to stay because we don’t care about results. I will travel to Brentford game in two weeks and fully expecting him in the dugout and for us to be horrible once again.
I doubt INEOS have given him any indication either way. He's just saving face publicly.

It's looking like they don't have the stones to sack him though.

The squad has never been an assembly of big names, that one is a total fallacy.
Di Maria, Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane, Casemiro? If that aren't big names, then I don't know how you define that term?!
And it definitely applies to Ole who had his favorites who could play absolute trash and still start week in week out, he also refused to rotate the team in spite of the fact that he experienced a catastrophic series of muscular injuries during his interim after playing the same 11 into the ground.
I understood your point as in inflexible of the system and principles - and I never felt it was a case of not wanting but not really knowing how to. In case of selections and favorites, I'd certainly agree with you.

I feel like I’m in some alternate timeline where a draw with Porto in the Europa league and a draw with Aston Villa that leaves us in 14th are somehow deemed to be good results?
No, our coach has just managed to somehow bring standards so low that we aren’t really expecting to be better than Everton.

Thee three musketeers, VP89, BenitoSTARR and yourself, are very quiet compared to last season.

I don't give a feck, thanks.

What's tragic is people who continue to defend this manager. Luckily for you, INEOS don't seem to have the stones required. Could be a good week for you.
Who is defending the manager?

Last season there were very real issues as to why the team weren’t performing. A lot of those issues are no longer there this season, and I haven’t seen anyone arguing vehemently in favour of ten Hag (although this topic bores me so I don’t pay much attention to the squabbling.)

The only semblance of hope for him is that we did have a tough opening 7. I think only spurs can match it in terms of difficult fixtures, and they're 2 pts ahead of us. Liverpool had a lovely opening set. Now obviously that counts for nothing if we dont win the so called 'easier' fixtures, but it will be interesting as the season pans out to see how the teams around us do in those fixtures.

Weve been here a million times, but i really do think the next 6 games is make or break. If we're not right up alongside top 4 contenders by then, he'll be gone

Without a contingency plan, I hope that doesn't happen. Not because ETH isn't deserving it but because I don't see anything to be gained in pissing away 18 million in fees and the decision makers losing face for rectifying a mistake done only 2 month ago. When the right candidate is available, of course, go for it and get it over with. But when that candidate isn't available then there is no point in switching just for the sake of it. Especially taking into consideration how badly the last interim scenarios went for the club - both for different reasons of course.