Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why? We literally parked the bus and played on the counter attack. It might sometimes work against attacking teams but it's absolutely not a consistent winning strategy.

It wasn't purely reactive though. Particularly in the first half, when we got the ball we actually played it well amongst our players. There was an intent to go forward, we didn't just boot it over the top and hope that Rashford was fast enough to beat Kyle Walker. There was clearly a method to it and the way we worked the ball on one side, then used switches of play was well executed and effective. It was good football and football we could replicate against others, especially as no teams in the Premier League fear us and are happy to leave us opportunities to transition against us.

As far as I can tell, since the FA Cup final our game out of possession has become much worse. For some reason, rather than the quite patient mid-block we used at Wembley, Ten Hag started the season with a really aggressive press, which did not work against anyone with even a shred of quality on the ball in deeper positions. Fulham and Palace are probably the only times you can say we looked really dominant using that approach. Teams like Liverpool and Spurs just beat the first line press and ran right through us like a week old curry.

In posession, there has been a clear effort to move towards more positional play, with players working in threes across the left and right sides of the pitch. But its all been so much slower than anything we played at Wembley. Potentially because its so much more rigid and there is clearly more emphasis being played on slowing things down and trying to work through the opposition. At Wembley it felt like there was a general idea and the players had more freedom to improvise. Now, even in defence, you see players taking a touch and trying to do what they think they should. We've been caught in posession several times by players doing this e.g. Eriksen vs Twente. Nobody seems to be playing anything close to intuitive football.

Its all gone to crap.

I doubt he gets to stay. When all the bosses turns up, they would expect some performance. Yet another game where United fail to score. I hope to hearing his sacking by Tuesday morning with Ruud as interim manager.

Imagine if by drawing against Villa saves a Manutd manager job. But he has survived 2 of our worst ever start. So nothing should surprise us anymore

We did alright in 19/20 tbf. Just need Covid to derail the season again and we're set.

Game over. We all know he’s gone. Tuesday when the New York stock exchange opens. Its a shame as I’d like it to be today.

So what is preventing the sack?
the-grand-tour-s-one-for-the-road-retiring-a-trio.jpg

Nope. He's just well aware of his role as a representative of the club in the media. What do you expect him to say?

Did I miss something? He isn't a representative of the club in the media.

Did I miss something? He isn't a representative of the club in the media.
If he's a Tier One journo who gets a lot of United news way before others, he may not officially be a rep - but he does represent the club in some way. He and the club obviously know that and therefore have to be careful about what he says.

The really scary thing is that some actually believe that!

Today was like a flashback to the late 80s when football was torture to watch. Almost nothing happened.
I thought the match thread thread marks summed it up perfectly :lol:

I honestly think he is safe because we can't afford to pay him of and pay for a new manager. We're already may be in trouble with FFP due to losing money 3 years in a row.

Club shouldn't be worried about FFP when the manager has you flirting with relegation. Plus I think there is ways they can maneuver around it having a negative effect.

His diagnosis is spot on, so I guess he does. :smirk:

Oh great, so he knows who the new manger is? Or have you struggled to read my posts too.

The only thing I've said is sacking him without a replacment is nuts. The fact you all find that so controversial belweilders me.

Tedious hystera is the best way to descibe the football forums these days.

I was half hoping Villa would score in the last few, felt shameful but the match was so tepid TBH anything of interest would be fine, I just hope it doesn't end up prolonging our agony

I think he might actually be ill. Surely a sane person doesn't believe anything he comes out with.
Or it's the opposite, he's a genius and figured out that the quickest way to get that 17 millions of severance pay is to talk bullshit

He is a parody of himself now. Bigging himself up after clean sheets, using process every week. He will be spouting about progress and process in 3 years. Has no clue what he is doing football wise, but talks the talk. He is a con artist

Just isn’t capable. It shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Good idea at the time to appoint him but he’s proven incapable of stepping up. Happens in all walks of life. Just move on.

Oh great, so he knows who the new manger is? Or have you struggled to read my posts too.

The only thing I've said is sacking him without a replacment is nuts. The fact you all find that so controversial belweilders me.

The whole caretaker manager thing exists for a reason, you can easily argue keeping somebody in a job despite the incompetence just because their replacement is not ready to go is even more nuts

If he's a Tier One journo who gets a lot of United news way before others, he may not officially be a rep - but he does represent the club in some way. He and the club obviously know that and therefore have to be careful about what he says.

He does represent the club in any way. Whitwell represent his paper when it comes to United, not the other way around, he is a representative of the Atlhetic and the New York Times. It's very important to not confuse these things because when it comes to his integrity, he is supposed to publish the truth not act as a PR outlet for the club, otherwise he would be in breach of media ethics.

It would be perfect to fire him now seeing we have the international break coming up now. Would give, presumably, RVN some time to atleast come up with some formations, train with some of the team and do the needed adjustments.

I do NOT want us to quickly hire a new manager now, unless its a perfect candidate. (Which doesnt exist)

I'm not a busy man, but I wouldn't waste too much time in a matchday thread on here.
The point I was making is that the only threadmarks were line up, kick off, half time and full time. Nothing happened.

He didn't say keep him. Read the post!
I would hire the tea lady. People wanting the « right » manager or keep him are deluded.
Anyone would do actually. People are less engaged in marriage in our days then some in the manager. Sack a manager is not difficult. No need to find the one. That’s bullsh*t.

You are taking a bit of banter a bit too seriously.

He has to go. Nothing is changing.
End of first season there was the fixture congestion excuse.
Second season was injury excuse.
Third season now, there should be no excuse. We play lethargic open non inspiring football creating no chances.

Watching spurs here and the football they play is light years ahead of us, it’s just sad.

Imagine this baldie is going to remain our manager until Christmas. This sadly is our standard, I don’t see Ineos being proactive at all.

If he isn't sacked I think Ill skip watching our next game just for a break from it all.

Not out of some protest or anything but just for my own sanity. If the club have no interest in us progressing I probably should not either.

That won't happen of course but I don't think I can stomach seeing this go on any longer.

The whole caretaker manager thing exists for a reason, you can easily argue keeping somebody in a job despite the incompetence just because their replacement is not ready to go is even more nuts
No point wasting your time mate. Everyone is wrong apart from him.

He does represent the club in any way. Whitwell represent his paper when it comes to United, not the other way around, he is a representative of the Atlhetic and the New York Times. It's very important to not confuse these things because when it comes to his integrity, he is supposed to publish the truth not act as a PR outlet for the club, otherwise he would be in breach of media ethics.
I see where you're coming from but I think you're overthinking things. You know why he posted it, it's not really fruitful to keep thinking about it.