Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm looking forward to losing 2-1, playing worse than the final score looks, Ten Hag saying we played well for twenty minutes, folk coming on here repeating it, other folk getting angry and making things up before they happen. I hate people who do that, almost as much as I'll hate us playing like shite tonight.

When in doubt, bring up the trophies Eric.

mCaAC2.gif

I'm looking forward to losing 2-1, playing worse than the final score looks, Ten Hag saying we played well for twenty minutes, folk coming on here repeating it, other folk getting angry and making things up before they happen. I hate people who do that, almost as much as I'll hate us playing like shite tonight.
We will probably miss one or two chances and his backers will claim he can’t do anything if players keep letting him down.

He’s had 3 fecking years and an entire new XI of players to build a solid team and plan. This argument is gone now (where it might have been valid 18 months ago)

Sick of hearing this rhetoric
it's like you only read 3 words out of my post? Besides that, his 3rd year only just started and 18 months ago (February 2023) people were still pretty positive about ETH, so my points would have been odd at the time, too.

And since I said it would make perfect sense to say goodbye to each other by now, seasons and dynamics also change. And since it literally is a new season with quite a new setup in seemingly core positions, it very much is at the start of a new foundation as well. Even if they just got Mbappe, Pedri and Rodri they wouldn't magically gel together into a CL-winning team in a new place, with Mbappe being an actual example at Madrid of needing time, even though Ancelotti is already there and so are most of his teammates. New season, new dynamics.

ETH doesn't particularly deserve a new chance, but since the season's just begun with many changes to the staff, club structure and, yes, the squad, it would be a bit ridiculous to go full tantrum now before deciding whether this is too close to unsalvagable.

Everyone would understand firing ETH this past summer and even right now, but leading any company would not show great leadership to go all Laurentiis and fire everyone if things don't go smooth-sailing in a very dependency-based field of profession. And if they do decide to fire him, at least have a plan ready to go in a new direction that doesn't make all decisions made over the past 3 months or so completely ridiculous. ETH has too many excuses nowadays, but they're not all completely based on absolutely nothing.

Again, it would make sense to let go off ETH, especially within football culture and particularly considering the way things have gone since about the second half of his first season.
But this summer they decided that the FA Cup win or whatever it actually was, was enough reason to see where the new setups could lead with him at the helm of the football team, so going this far now would be super dramatic.

It's a new season. Not a new manager, a new season. De Ligt is new, Zirkzee is new, Ugarte is new, Mazraoui is new, Amad (often) starting is quite new, Mainoo is super young and him starting is also quite new, Licha is just back, Shaw is Houdini, Casemiro, Mount, Eriksen, Rashford, Maguire and Bruno are doing some Houdini acts of their own, Dalot and Garnacho are not at the consistency or age to lead the team, Bruno is unreliable as at least a leading midfielder, Onana is still not consistent enough. And it all shows. Whether that's all ETH's fault? Probably at least partly, I doubt it being all on him. That's why I think it's ridiculous as a company that takes itself seriously to throw all your plans out the window two-three months after making them (WHILE announcing they were far from ready and to not expect consistency). You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't make throwing some random time frame without any context suddenly some common sensical neutral objectivity.

I can see this not getting any better, but I can also see it improving. As of now, no one knows what tomorrow looks like. You have no faith in it looking brighter with ETH there, I think if you put him in the sunlight, his bald head could reflect just in the right direction to blind their goalkeeper and have Zirkzee score his second goal because Hojlund missed his through pass. But that also sounds a bit ridiculous to me and might not happen in the slightest. Will find out tomorrow (but in actuality today, I guess?)

That’s not a straw man. You actually said those things.
You may want to re-read my post and look at what I said was straw man. It fits the exact definition.

I've made my points - we can move on.

I thought McCarthy said he lacked charisma? Which has once again been shown by Mr One Blag* and his ad nauseam response.

*Follow me for more shit puns

"I don't know what he means. When you win trophies, (And I don't know if I've mentioned this but I've won 2 in 2 seashons, next most after Pep), you can't do this without passion and desire..."

Hiring you know, an actual experienced manager?

Well I don't know. I'm not sure about RVN myself. But in terms of interim managers, I don't think it really matters as long as they have some experience. We hired the vastly experienced Ralf and he overseen a horrorshow. Ole had been a manager for a good few seasons and while it started off brightly it tailed off badly towards the end. Any manager appointed mid-season will be a roll of the dice.

Unlike sticking with Ten Hag which is probably more like trying to roll a giant dice up a steep hill but it keeps rolling down over you and then you have to start all over again, getting more and more battered as you go.

I don’t think it’s a problem. They are set up horribly, have been for the last couple of years, and it shows. It’s no coincidence that every single player that joins us is almost immediately worse, and even the youngsters we brought through last year (Garnacho, Mainoo) seem like they aren’t actually making much progress either.

It’s also manager’s job to keep their players motivated.
Again, dont disagree but again, my point about the players doing more still stands

Turns out he does know what he is doing..

Actually nah, he should still go during the international break.

He picks the team that brought the best results in 2022-2023 and suddenly we look competent again.

Now watch him change the selection during the Villa match and us getting hammered.

Also, loads of posters will start changing votes to "back" now as well. Memories of goldfish...
Not today but if we don’t lose at Villa there will be many that will change their minds.

It’d take months of consistent good football for me to change my mind though.

Hard to win games when you have your highest paid superstar acting like the game is already won and so stops competing for the ball, leaving opposition with time on the ball to pick out crosses