Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can’t see this has anything to do with Ineos. All that’s happened is that the extension to his existing (pre-Ineos) contract has been triggered. Not sure if the source of this report is reliable either.

Exactly, the fact that they didn't give him a new contract shows they weren't really convinced by him. It is time to make a change, its gone on too long, its not going to change. We will probably have a reaction tonight and play well for 20 mins and then blame "pathetic" mistakes or not being clinical enough, then go and get hammered at Villa park.

I’d say no to allegri. We want to stay well clear of the boring football. we’d look like idiots if we got Tuchel in after it didn’t work out in the summer and we chose to stick with ETH over him. The other 2 would be gambles and I’d say they’d both jump at the chance mid season to come here and get half a season as a free pass.

I would be happy to go back for him, however IF we could get Inzaghi/Amorim in summer then prepared to accept an interim appointment

Absolutely no one would have wanted RVN n charge in May when Ten Hag should have been sacked. Would be a terrible idea.

Absolutely no one would have wanted RVN n charge in May when Ten Hag should have been sacked. Would be a terrible idea.

I agree, however like my above post says we can't get an Inzaghi/Amorim right now so how do you get around that if we wanted them?

I agree, however like my above post says we can't get an Inzaghi/Amorim right now so how do you get around that if we wanted them?
I think we're stuck with him due to cost and they are desperate for him to pull something out of the bag this weekend to quiet the noise down.

I agree, however like my above post says we can't get an Inzaghi/Amorim right now so how do you get around that?

Were in October... things change by May next year and those 2 managers may not be desirable come the time. We cant give up on this season.

Not be at all surprised if they go for an old face again. I wouldn’t rule Carrick out. He did a good job in his caretaker role and, I for one, was in favour of keeping him at least to the end of season instead of Rangnick. We could probably get him out of Boro fairly cheaply too.

I would be happy to go back for him, however IF we could get Inzaghi/Amorim in summer then prepared to accept an interim appointment
Agreed. They’d be me too 2 choices. I’m more in favour of Inzaghi because we’ve seen he can improve players and make average players look a lot better. Also I want us to try something new… his system would suit our defence and make us hard to beat.

Not be at all surprised if they go for an old face again. I wouldn’t rule Carrick out. He did a good job in his caretaker role and, I for one, was in favour of keeping him at least to the end of season instead of Rangnick. We could probably get him out of Boro fairly cheaply too.
You suggesting getting Carrick full time? I don’t want to go down that route again. It can also turn sour and ruin his reputation with our fans. We need something different. I’m telling you Inzaghi should be the man. They said they wanted best in class, he’s probably it after Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti.

I think we're stuck with him due to cost and they are desperate for him to pull something out of the bag this weekend to quiet the noise down.

Its not just about cost. Top managers don't move mid season. Its as simple as that. RVN and Hake are INEOS contingency plan for this season. They might not be the best around but that's the price we're paying for pressuring the club to keep ETH

RVN has more experience then Carrick does

Well if start to look at expected goals and expected points, it shows even more clearly how bad we are under EtH (much worse than under other managers post-Fergie who got comparable amount of time).

Under LVG we were 4th and 8th on expected points in his two full seasons.

Under Jose we were 4th and 6th.

Under Ole we were 4th and 4th.

Under EtH we were 6th on expected points in his first season (but I bet you never called the fact that we finished 3rd “unsustainable” because of that). We were 15th (!) in his second season. We are 10th now.

Top 10? Get in!

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Tottenham just won and it's burst his bubble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Cab for Ten Hag, quick, march, on the double

He’s been here two years and it’s never really clicked
He keeps on trying, but we always get dicked
The final was great, yeah, City got slammed
But the league’s gone to shite and he’s gonna get canned

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s spent a lot of money, but it doesn’t seem to work
We play Bruno all the time and he acts like a jerk
We’ve got Rashers on the wing and he’s looking really tired
But he won’t take him off, so he’s gonna get, gonna get, gonna get…

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

A new contract? :confused:

You suggesting getting Carrick full time? I don’t want to go down that route again. It can also turn sour and ruin his reputation with our fans. We need something different. I’m telling you Inzaghi should be the man. They said they wanted best in class, he’s probably it after Guardiola, Klopp, Ancelotti.
Inzaghi would be fine by me, but we are writing off this season to wait for him. I’m not sure Ineos are prepared to do that, or wait for anyone else who may be even better.

Its not just about cost. Top managers don't move mid season. Its as simple as that. RVN and Hake are INEOS contingency plan for this season. They might not be the best around but that's the price we're paying for pressuring the club to keep ETH
A manager stepping up wouldn't pass up the opportunity for a huge pay rise. Bigger problem is the cost of getting them out of another club.

The cost of paying off Ten Hag and paying some kind of release fee would be a big issue for us.

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s been here two years and it’s never really clicked
He keeps on trying, but we always get dicked
The final was great, yeah, City got slammed
But the league’s gone to shite and he’s gonna get canned

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s spent a lot of money, but it doesn’t seem to work
We play Bruno all the time and he acts like a jerk
We’ve got Rashers on the wing and he’s looking really tired
But he won’t take him off, so he’s gonna get, gonna get, gonna get…

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Bravo!

they probably have no choice. Serious managers don't like to join a club mid season
I seriously don’t think we can afford that though. We need to recover this season before it’s too late. That’s why i think, if EtH is fired, Ineos will try to appoint a new manager, rather than an interim.

Surely we wouldn't appoint Ruud permanently, it would just be an interim stint and that's fine. Otherwise we've learned nothing.

As a player he played with numerous top clubs including PSV, Manchester United and Real. He worked under Hiddink as Holland's no 2. It was a short stint but I reckon he learnt more under Hiddink than Carrick could possibly learn out of Ole at the wheel and he managed the second biggest team in the Eredivise where he even won a cup there..

Last edited:
It's ironic you've asked me to re-read when you seem to have overlooked my previous post.
It can be illustrated by one example - you pointed to a post where I said the Palace game was encouraging as some sort of 'excuse' for the manager, and doubled down upaon it in your posts today.
This was an example post of yours to help build a case that I must be on some wind up.
The sentiment I had about Palace is shared by match going fans and also by well respected journalists/life long fans such as Andy Mitten. You don't have to agree with their views but you have absolutely no legs to stand on to suggest they are on a wind up.

You don't just disagree with my views, because I'm not foaming at the mouth with distain toward Ten Hag you think I must be on a wind up. I've said that he's on his last chance saloon, he's on the verge of a sack and other sentiments. But because I said as SJR I wouldnt sack just yet unless he didnt win the next 2 (and I was thinking about operational issues here) you thought I was some sort of opposition fan. It's laughable because thats whats happening and in your own words you think they may have operational reason to :lol:

It wasn’t about one post. It was about a pattern of behaviour over months and months where you moved through the litany of excuses for Ten Hag’s failings. It became parody like so I poked fun at it. Still chuckling at the “he’s on very thin ice” comment.

And once again, I have never in my own words said they may have an operational reason to delay - I was arguing the exact opposite. It was the person I was arguing with that was claiming there were operational reasons to delay.

This sort of nonsense is exactly why I keep calling you out for straw manning - either you genuinely struggle with reading comprehension or you are deliberately arguing in bad faith. Neither is a good look, but you keep doing it again and again and again.

I seriously don’t think we can afford that though. We need to recover this season before it’s too late. That’s why i think, if EtH is fired, Ineos will try to appoint a new manager, rather than an interim.

Yeah but very few serious manager would consider the job mid way throughout the season. Maybe just maybe we might persuade Pochs to join. He's in a similar desperate situation to what Conte was when he joined Spurs. But that is basically it

Yeah plus Inter have got off to solid start in Champions League, might have more chance of being able to get Amorim now though

I don't think that Inzaghi is untouchable. We're probably capable of financially wrestle him out of Inter. However that won't be done midway throughout the season.

I respect the hell out of Inzaghi and Anorim but I'm just not sure a back three is in the club's DNA at all.

It wasn’t about one post. It was about a pattern of behaviour over months and months where you moved through the litany of excuses for Ten Hag’s failings. It became parody like so I poked fun at it. Still chuckling at the “he’s on very thin ice” comment.

And once again, I have never in my own words said they may have an operational reason to delay - I was arguing the exact opposite. It was the person I was arguing with that was claiming there were operational reasons to delay.

This sort of nonsense is exactly why I keep calling you out for straw manning - either you genuinely struggle with reading comprehension or you are deliberately arguing in bad faith. Neither is a good look, but you keep doing it again and again and again.
You can generalise as much as you want about behavior and cherry pick which posts are serious and which are worth chuckling at - but when I asked of a single illustrative example, you shot yourself in the foot by hanging your hat on what was actually an uncontroversial take. The post you decided to claim is some sort of excuse for the manager was actually a common view and that speaks volumes about your agenda more than it does about my reasoning.

After this, shot yourself in the foot (again) by calling me a supporter for rival clubs when the decision makers are doing the same thing. You then claimed its different if Sir Jim Ratcliffe does it but if you ask someone "if you're Sir Jim, what would you do", they can't give the same answer. I don't know what logic that is but it's quite funny to look back and just see your reasoning.

I'd challenge you to find any other example of my "strawmaning" or "excusing" for this season but I am near certain you'll just shoot yourself in the foot again.

On the operational reasons to delay, there is probably some. Maybe not all under the operational umbrella but there's a plethora of reasons to see how the next 2 games go than to sack after Spurs.

Last edited:
When they say "taking a long term view, whatever happens against Porto and Villa", do they mean he's already sacked and they're lining up a replacement or that those two games don't matter and he's staying?
If it was decided he'd be sacked regardless of the two games.. well.. he'd be sacked without waiting for those two games.
I think this can only read as that they're prepared to give him more time even if the two games have bad results.

How long would you accept a stopgap for?

If it was made known that they're working on a permanent replacement then I'd be happy. If it was a case of revisit in summer, less so. But I'd probably still prefer it than keep Ten Hag as at least Ruud has some likeable qualities and he'd get the fans behind him. I'd always be worried if Ole 2.0 happening though.

It was widely reported at the time that there was alot of tension between RvN and the players, as well as differences between him and the back up staff as well.

By all accounts he was a difficult manager, I'm not sure he would be as great as a lot of people are hoping/presuming if he took over from ETH.
I think it could be pretty great for a shorter interimstint. Like when Ole came in. Those were the days.

Inzaghi would be fine by me, but we are writing off this season to wait for him. I’m not sure Ineos are prepared to do that, or wait for anyone else who may be even better.
We wouldn’t be writing the season of though to wait for him. An interim could easily get us further up the table and another final in one of the cups. Aslong as we tried and signed the deal with a permanent manager before hand. I don’t want us to offer another interim the full time job based on doing well.