Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
How do we judge a manager? I would suggest some of the criterias are....

Tactics - of which ETH's are baffling and at times non existent.

Results - Dreadful season last year. Historically bad CL group campaign and an 8th place finish. Numerous thrashings from teams up and down the down the league. From two convincing losses against City to losing 0-3 at home to Bournemouth and 4-0 away at Palace.

Substitutions - again, bizarre at at times. Rashford getting hooked last night was the latest. When have we seen a change that really changed to pattern of the game? And im not talking about throwing on McSauce in extra time when a couple of goals are needed.

Communication with the fans and media - often nonsensical stuff we hear from him post game. Last night gaslighting us about last season being a success because we won the FA Cup.

Signings - Rotten. Is there any player that ETH has signed that would get into the first XI at City, Liverpool or Arsenal?

Progress of players - Have we seen a player really develop under Ten Hag's tutelage? Mainoo and Garnacho have been great, but they always were going to be. Is there a player that was here prior that has really improved his game? Maybe Dallot in patches, but now he he been chucked over to left back and looks terrible.

Relationship with players - Feels like it has soured. Fall outs with Sancho. Dumping DDH. Stripping Maguire of the captaincy and not being able to get him out. All these things add up over time.

I really don't see any redeeming features in ETH or any reason why we should continue down this path.

As fans, I think we like the idea of Ten Hag. We like this idea of a progressive modern tracksuit manager / coach, who did well with Ajax and who doesn't take any shit. But the reality is, he's not that.

Last edited:
They won't remain patient with him. He's gone in my opinion. Think it's pretty clear to me.

Yeah, Monday. Would be funny in a quite a masochistic sort of way if they wouldn't fire him Monday, not least if we lose to Villa. But yeah, I think he's gone, they just want to get to the break is my hunch.

There’s a lot wrong with it actually. We’d rather not restart every 2 years and if we are having to change managers every 1/2 years then that means we’ve obviously failed. The fact managers can stay in jobs for 8/9 years shows they’ve been successful.

Not necessarily, now we have a proper structure in place and a DOF and team overseeing recruitment and a long term plan, providing stability it should be no problem to plug first team coaches in and out as needed. There's nothing wrong with hiring a manager to make us a top 4 side then replacing him quickly if that's his ceiling. Then replace him with a coach who can make us title challengers and in turn replace them with one who wins us the league and so on. The point is we keep going until the club is where it should be. If a manager is wildly successful I'm sure it's possible they could be here for 4-5 years but the point is we should be more concerned about Manchester United being successful not any one manager, we need to move away from the Fergie model. We don't need a manager to be in the job for 5-10 years as long as the club is successful.

Manchester United shouldn't be waiting around and funding any more project managers. Hire them and give them a goal if within 12-24 months they haven't met that goal then replace them.

Keeping him and allowing the new structure and players to bed in is a better option than an interim.
That risks us realistically finishing in the bottom places on the table with zero kind of continental football

I think he has a clause in his contract team performance based .. they don't want to just pay 17M for firing him..
Simon stone answered a question on the BBC earlier about the cost of sacking him and he pointed out that it’s approximately a £3m loss for each position down in the table that a team finishes.

Whilst the cost of sacking him may be a factor, finishing near our current position and no European football next season would cost us more than the reported £17m for sacking him.

Hopefully, if it is a factor, they see that ETH’s current trajectory will probably cost us more and we see a new manager taking charge soon.

How do we judge a manager? I would suggest some of the criterias are....

Tactics - of which ETH's are baffling and at times non existent.

Results - Dreadful season last year. Historically bad CL group campaign and an 8th place finish. Numerous thrashings from teams up and down the down the league. From two convincing losses against City to losing 0-3 at home to Bournemouth and 4-0 away at Palace.

Substitutions - again, bizarre at at times. Rashford getting hooked last night was the latest. When have we seen a change that really changed to pattern of the game? And im not talking about throwing on McSauce in extra time when a couple of goals are needed.

Communication with the fans and media - often nonsensical stuff we hear from him post game. Last night gaslighting us about last season being a success because we won the FA Cup.

Signings - Rotten. Is there any player that ETH has signed that would get into the first XI at City, Liverpool or Arsenal?

Progress of players - Have we seen a player really develop under Ten Hag's tutelage? Mainoo and Garnacho have been great, but they always were going to be. Is there a player that was here prior that has really improved his game? Maybe Dallot in patches, but now he he been chucked over to left back and looks terrible.

Relationship with players - Feels like it has soured. Fall outs with Sancho. Dumping DDH. Stripping McGuire of the captaincy and not being able to get him out. All these things add up over time.

I really don't see any redeeming features in ETH or any reason why we should continue down this path.

As fans, I think we like the idea of Ten Hag. We like this idea of a progressive modern tracksuit manager / coach, who did well with Ajax and who doesn't take any shit. But the reality is, he's not that.
Failed on all counts.

Also Maguire not McGuire :lol:

Edit - Not only did he strip Maguire, he appointed probaly our worse captain ever

This I feel is the main reason. Its easy to say "anyone" would be better than what Eth is serving up, but it feels like we would rather get a good permanent replacement than an average interim.

I think the very majority of managers are good.

Ten Hag is probably a good manager - it is just he had failed so far at United and doesn't seem to be a good fit anymore for this group of players. Some of that may be timing and circumstance, but there isnt anything we have seen to suggest he can improve things. Not for me, anyway.

We need someone who is a good fit and who has the belief that he can get more out of the players we have in place, because we wont be signing 8 more in January.

You don't always have to pull the best looking bird. You just have to find the one that looks good and that you can get along with and work with long term.

I don't understand why he's still our coach. There's not a single reason to keep him as far as I'm concerned.

If Real Madrid had the performances and results we had over the past two years they'd have cycled through 3 managers by now.

Obviously you want to be patient and build something, but there needs to be some signs of positivity to earn that level of trust.

Keeping him and allowing the new structure and players to bed in is a better option than an interim.

Keeping him will result in a relegation battle. We can't win games, and we can't score goals against anyone even mildly decent in the Premier League.

Failed on all counts.

Also Maguire not McGuire :lol:

Edit - Not only did he strip Maguire, he appointed probaly our worse captain ever

Typo there. But the point stands. If you are going to strip someone of the captaincy, be sure you get get him out of the door.

To be fair to Maguire, he doesn't seem to have caused a stink at all. Probably because he is just glad not to be playing for Everton!

Not necessarily, now we have a proper structure in place and a DOF and team overseeing recruitment and a long term plan, providing stability it should be no problem to plug first team coaches in and out as needed. There's nothing wrong with hiring a manager to make us a top 4 side then replacing him quickly if that's his ceiling. Then replace him with a coach who can make us title challengers and in turn replace them with one who wins us the league and so on. The point is we keep going until the club is where it should be. If a manager is wildly successful I'm sure it's possible they could be here for 4-5 years but the point is we should be more concerned about Manchester United being successful not any one manager, we need to move away from the Fergie model. We don't need a manager to be in the job for 5-10 years as long as the club is successful.

Manchester United shouldn't be waiting around and funding any more project managers. Hire them and give them a goal if within 12-24 months they haven't met that goal then replace them.
Ye I agree with that. But before you was saying change every 1/2 years. I agree we should get a manager that can consistently get us top 4 and then change if he can’t get us any further. The first aim should be getting top 4 consistently and then aim higher

They weren't happy enough with last season, they went into the market to see what alternatives there were. Tuchel broke down because he seemingly wanted full control.

In any case - they settled for the Ten Hag project quite plausibly under the condition that he shows immediate improvement - or else they would make a change.

That does not tally with a new contract though.

That is like being put on probation at work after a poor performance review, yet also getting a pay rise.

That does not tally with a new contract though.

That is like being put on probation at work after a poor performance review, yet also getting a pay rise.
It does - the new contract is barely a show of confidence - it's just a 1 year extension. They may well have included easier break clauses in the new deal that weren't in the old one.

I think the international break will be the opportunity for something new, whether that's permanent or Ruud on an interim basis. If I was a potential candidate I wouldn't want to jump into the job immediately before an expected drubbing by Villa. It's not a good start. ETH can take that hit and then let the posi-vibes build during the break.

Ye I agree with that. But before you was saying change every 1/2 years. I agree we should get a manager that can consistently get us top 4 and then change if he can’t get us any further. The first aim should be getting top 4 consistently and then aim higher

Change every 1-2 years if needed. For example hire a manager to make us a top 4 side, he fails replace him (see Ten Hag 23/24). If the next guy finishes top 4 twice but looks like he can take us no further replace him. We should be ruthless in trying to get United back to the top, personally I don't care if that involves hiring and firing another 10 managers over the next 10 years.

I think if we get Tuchel in next week, he’ll win at least 1 trophy this season probably the Europa. But I don’t think he’s the long term solution.
Why is long term important anyway? If he is a good manager for us for 2 years or so, then that's fine.

Actually feel really sad he’s likely going. :lol: ( I know he needs to go).

I’m a big softy though and nearly cried just now because my cat got into a fight with another cat….

I think he means more so not being petrified of sacking someone after a single season/18 months if he’s been an abject disaster.

Obviously if we bring the next Pep/Klopp in and rapidly rise to the elites again we don’t want them leaving any time soon, but there 100% needs to be a mentality shift in how fans approach managers here.

So... what? He wins against Aston Villa by a stroke of luck and everything is all good? All the previous games didn't happen? And then normal service resumes against Brentford? What kind of thinking is this? :lol:

I've finally changed my vote to "sack" today, after the terrible performance last night.

It's a "sack" with conditions attached....that we go for a credible winner as a manager that has attacking football at the heart of their approach. Hopefully someone like Amorim. Definitely not Tuchel or Southgate or Frank.

I'd prefer not to go this long in a season with an interim, which is why I'd held off from saying sack him.

I really feel he is stubbornly trying to expose the weakness in the squad by overplaying Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro and others when they are in terrible form.

The club have given him alternative players but he isn't using them or failing to use them effectively.

I wanted it to work but he has failed to address the weakness in midfield for too long.

I've a suspicion that the club have already told him he is gone at the end of the season, but that he will remain as a figurehead while others pick the team.

There is a weird atmosphere after the summer debacle and bringing in Rene and Ruud.

EtH is giving off the vibe of a middle manager that has failed to realise he has been totally marginalised by others around him who are starting to ignore his emails.

Given the cost of getting rid of him I think he will go with a whimper rather than a bang.

I think he means more so not being petrified of sacking someone after a single season/18 months if he’s been an abject disaster.

Obviously if we bring the next Pep/Klopp in and rapidly rise to the elites again we don’t want them leaving any time soon, but there 100% needs to be a mentality shift in how fans approach managers here.
Absolutely. I agree mate.

So... what? He wins against Aston Villa by a stroke of luck and everything is all good? All the previous games didn't happen? And then normal service resumes against Brentford? What kind of thinking is this? :lol:
This is lunacy and ridiculous decision making. Worrying if it’s genuinely the plan from the new management.

Let's be honest, this season is already over. ETH could argue with injuries but this season? He has players, minimum injuries and nothing is getting better. I think they will try to keep him until December/January if it doesn't end horribly on Sunday.