Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
The wildcard is will Villa be hungover from Bayern

I'm expecting us to turn up and needlessly prolong this. I remember when Mourinho looked dead in the water after being knocked out the carabao by Derby and losing 3-1 to West Ham. We were like 0-2 down at OT to Newcastle, and players he hated - bailed him out. We ended up winning 3-2.

this went on from early October til around mid December

I'm expecting us to turn up and needlessly prolong this. I remember when Mourinho looked dead in the water after being knocked out the carabao by Derby and losing 3-1 to West Ham. We were like 0-2 down at OT to Newcastle, and players he hated - bailed him out. We ended up winning 3-2.

this went on from early October til around mid December

Same thing happened under Ole if you recall? We kept going down in games and then winning games because we just threw the kitchen sink without any tactics. It is a short term fix when you go a goal or two down and go hell for leather.

Same thing happened under Ole if you recall? We kept going down in games and then winning games because we just threw the kitchen sink without any tactics. It is a short term fix when you go a goal or two down and go hell for leather.

The difference is, we had actual goal scoring talent in those teams. ETH has build a side that's terrible at converting chances, kitchen sink or not.

Someone mentioned big Sam earlier and I was just thinking. How come managers like him are brought in after a sacking to rescue the season? How do they turn things around but don't take 3 years to do it? Is it only us that it apparently takes 3 years to see any change?

Someone mentioned big Sam earlier and I was just thinking. How come managers like him are brought in after a sacking to rescue the season? How do they turn things around but don't take 3 years to do it? Is it only us that it apparently takes 3 years to see any change?

Manchester United doesn't believe in rescuing seasons, it's not in our DNA. The football, results and team morale must reach a crushingly low point before anything happens.

If I remember correctly this was in Ole's best season where we finished 2nd(?)
We actually underperformed XG quite clearly and it was never sustainable, as the next season showed

In league 1 Birmingham spent 15 times more than the next highest spender (Peterborough on 2 million) If ETH were to be the biggest spender by that amount in his first season that's 15 times more than Chelsea's 630 million, which is 9.4 billion.
It's money though, multiplying it in this way does not give proper context. 1 million is a whole lot different to 100 million.

He’s normally brought in when teams are fighting relegation.

It’s easier to set up a team to defend for their lives and try to nick a goal through a set piece, then it is to set them up to play attractive football that fans want to get behind.

I think it's a valid debate that United holding on to managers for an extended period of time has contributed massively to the club's failure.

Maresca with Chelsea is a good indicator because start of last season I would have thought United would be competitive far quicker than Chelsea and as Heraclitus stated change is an inevitable constant, change is something fans seem to fear and it's likely due to the influence SAF had.

Unfortunately, INEOS have adjudicated that the failure is down to lack of structure while the managers incompetence has always been the biggest issue.

Giving patience to one individual and seeing how they pan out is far more redundant compared to sifting through an array of different coaches until one sticks out. Variation under such instances is far more beneficial.

Unfortunately, INEOS have adjudicated that the failure is down to lack of structure while the managers incompetence has always been the biggest issue.
You need a competent structure to hire a competent manager. Without having a structure and club philosophy, you will just randomly pick managers, something we have been doing in the past decade.

You need a competent structure to hire a competent manager. Without having a structure and club philosophy, you will just randomly pick managers, something we have been doing in the past decade.
Yeah, picking the wrong manager happens. What's criminal is when you veer from one direction to the next after spending hundreds of millions to build a squad to play a certain way. Which is what we've done over and over with absolutely no consistency in the way that the managers want to play. They then have to buy half of a squad, it never goes well and the cycle repeats. The scousers are a proper run club and it shows in who they've picked to replace Klopp, he hasn't needed a new squad to get them to perform because the new style is an adaptation rather than radical change.

We actually underperformed XG quite clearly and it was never sustainable, as the next season showed
Well if start to look at expected goals and expected points, it shows even more clearly how bad we are under EtH (much worse than under other managers post-Fergie who got comparable amount of time).

Under LVG we were 4th and 8th on expected points in his two full seasons.

Under Jose we were 4th and 6th.

Under Ole we were 4th and 4th.

Under EtH we were 6th on expected points in his first season (but I bet you never called the fact that we finished 3rd “unsustainable” because of that). We were 15th (!) in his second season. We are 10th now.

Well if start to look at expected goals and expected points, it shows even more clearly how bad we are under EtH (much worse than under other managers post-Fergie who got comparable amount of time).

Under LVG we were 4th and 8th on expected points in his two full seasons.

Under Jose we were 4th and 6th.

Under Ole we were 4th and 4th.

Under EtH we were 6th on expected points in his first season (but I bet you never called the fact that we finished 3rd “unsustainable” because of that). We were 15th (!) in his second season. We are 10th now.

If that's true, the xG boys are in the mud. Christ that is bad.

No the season after when we were in the CL.. the games against West Ham, Atalanta etc..

The writing is on the wall. bar a miracle (odds are very low), we will keep stuttering with a win here, loss there. we need a drastic change in "managing" the team and the games. i am guessing he will be gone by end of Oct and RVN taking over. the bigger question is - is RVN the right choice for the whole season?

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Tottenham just won and it's burst his bubble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Cab for Ten Hag, quick, march, on the double

He’s been here two years and it’s never really clicked
He keeps on trying, but we always get dicked
The final was great, yeah, City got slammed
But the league’s gone to shite and he’s gonna get canned

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s spent a lot of money, but it doesn’t seem to work
We play Bruno all the time and he acts like a jerk
We’ve got Rashers on the wing and he’s looking really tired
But he won’t take him off, so he’s gonna get, gonna get, gonna get…

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

Reactions: Jippy
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...alace-Mason-Greenwood-SAMI-MOKBEL-COLUMN.html

article seems to be behind paywall - so I can't confirm

I'm suspecting/speculating a brief from EtH's camp

It was widely reported at the time that there was alot of tension between RvN and the players, as well as differences between him and the back up staff as well.

By all accounts he was a difficult manager, I'm not sure he would be as great as a lot of people are hoping/presuming if he took over from ETH.

Last year we looked hungover in the weekends despite having been kicked out of all European cups.

Yep, I mean this year we look hungover too.. our 2 PL wins have been far from convincing either. Permanent hangover under this manager.

It was widely reported at the time that there was alot of tension between RvN and the players, as well as differences between him and the back up staff as well.

By all accounts he was a difficult manager, I'm not sure he would be as great as a lot of people are hoping/presuming if he took over from ETH.

I'm not doubting what has been said nor contesting it has been reported previously. I'm saying I suspect/I'm speculating the timing of the new report now is a brief by Ten Hag's camp.

I don't think many even want RvN to take over here. I've not seen many shouts, and the ones I did see were saying "interim" til we work on something else.

Its not different. It was the exact same topic of whether he should be sacked straight after spurs

You said that if I didn't want to sack him straight after spurs I must support a rival. The decision makers are doing the same thing.

Be consistent or pipe down.

No. Thinking an anonymous poster on an internet forum might be trolling isn’t actually the same as a discussion about how logistical barriers may affect how long it takes club owners/management to come to an agreement with an interim so they can sack him.

Yeah, picking the wrong manager happens. What's criminal is when you veer from one direction to the next after spending hundreds of millions to build a squad to play a certain way. Which is what we've done over and over with absolutely no consistency in the way that the managers want to play. They then have to buy half of a squad, it never goes well and the cycle repeats. The scousers are a proper run club and it shows in who they've picked to replace Klopp, he hasn't needed a new squad to get them to perform because the new style is an adaptation rather than radical change.
Yeah that's basically what I said earlier. If we'd just changed the manager and left the playing style relatively unchanged I think we would be in far better position even with the Glazers etc in charge but we didn't.

Unless fan sentiment is a significant factor on whether a manager is sacked or not, and by that I mean the weight and momentum of snowballing negative sentiment, I don't really get how the outcome of the next game or two games decides the fate of a manager. We're talking about millions to get rid of a manager, then a process of finding another manager, potentially hundreds of millions in transfers that suit that other manager, and so on.

Surely whatever the decision is, there is more weight to the 123 games we've played under ETH than the next 2 games.

No. Thinking an anonymous poster on an internet forum might be trolling isn’t actually the same as a discussion about how logistical barriers may affect how long it takes club owners/management to come to an agreement with an interim so they can sack him.
True to form, you have assumed I did not taken any "logistical barriers" into account. A genuinely terrible take.

You basically asked me what I'd do with Ten Hag if I were Sir Jim Ratcliffe, and then said I support a rival team because you didn't like the answer. Now you're claiming its a different situation when the owners are literally taking the same approach I have.

The hypocrisy is actually quite funny at this stage.

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s been here two years and it’s never really clicked
He keeps on trying, but we always get dicked
The final was great, yeah, City got slammed
But the league’s gone to shite and he’s gonna get canned

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble

He’s spent a lot of money, but it doesn’t seem to work
We play Bruno all the time and he acts like a jerk
We’ve got Rashers on the wing and he’s looking really tired
But he won’t take him off, so he’s gonna get, gonna get, gonna get…

Uh-oh, Erik’s in trouble
:lol:

I was at the Spurs game. First one this season and it might be the only one.

I was always optimistic but I left the stadium thinking, am I being delusional? Apart from Onana, I couldn't see any other positives whatsoever. Spurs scored early and all the United players couldn't get going at all. They were nervous.

It was getting chilly, it was raining, dark and depressing. That pretty much sums up where we are at.

I have been at plenty of games when we lost. You travel and go to a match, you can't always expect a win. That's fine. We got a tour bus from Ireland. We left 4am Sunday to get the boat in Dublin from my home place. We didn't get back until 9:45am Monday morning. The highlight of the trip was Nandos in the Trafford centre afterwards.

To travel for that much time and to see that quality of Football, it was the only time I felt I needed a refund. I was shocked by how bad we were.

Going to a game or season is my happy time, it's my time away from my business and work and it's my release but Christ, that was a shocking attempt of football. Genuinely, a League of Ireland game would have been more entertaining.

Fair enough if you ask me, those jokers pulling on that famous shirt need to put a shift in for a start and show some pride in their own performances.
The manager can be blamed for a lot of things but showing some pride to themselves is something the players need to do as a minimum. A lot has changed behind the scenes and it's not only down to Ten Hag. All these new performances coaches etc... have a lot to answer for.

Unfortunately, I don't see how Ten Hag will sort out this mess. Worse yet, I don't know who can.

Fair enough if you ask me, those jokers pulling on that famous shirt need to put a shift in for a start and show some pride in their own performances.
The point is Erik hasn't taken responsibility for anything and he's got the cheek to come out with that. Hate the pillock!