Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would've sacked Mourinho after Seville. And I wouldn't have even let Solskjaer see out the season he finished second and got the Europa League final - he should've gone as soon as he fecked up the CL group stages.

Him going onto lose that Europa League final was no achievement - the only reason we were in the Europa League that season was because of that disgraceful performance in the CL group stages.
Exactly. Mourinho and Solskjær should have been sacked way earlier. Similarly, LvG should have been shown the door after that horrible December 2015 and Moyes should have lost his job after those back to back home losses to Everton and Newcastle. Ten Hag should have been sacked after the Brighton home loss in September last year, and Rangnick, despite being an interim, should have been replaced after the 1-0 home loss to Wolves.

For feck sake, stop gloating over cups when your team is getting bullied week in week out in the league.

Well done, you have won 2 cups, props for that but he has also been embarrassed in the 2 biggest competitions, CL and PL. Wigan have won the FA cup and been relegated in the same season, it doesn't mean the team or coach is good.
Those two cups account for just 12 of his 123 games in charge. The League Cup run was as favourable as you could get. Even avoided having to plan an Arsenal/City/Liverpool in the final.

Plenty of average/failed managers have won cups or reached finals:

Juande Ramos 07/08 - Sacked a few months later
Ronald Koeman 07/08 - Sacked weeks later
Kenny Dalglish 11/12 - Reached two cups finals and won 1 of them, yet sacked
Roberto Di Matteo 11/12 - Sacked a few months after winning The CL
Roberto Martínez 12/13 - Relegated with Wigan despite winning The FA Cup

Tin Pots are not that important - we are dining in the butlers quarters drinking out of tin pots when proper teams are at the top table with silver!

Both are valid points of view. After all I think the position in the league and the generally still positive atmosphere justified keeping Ole in the job after the CL exit and giving him a chance to prove himself further. But as you say, in the end it came down to not winning the "second chance cup" in Europe and not being able to get the team to perform on a level that raised hopes for next season. Letting him go after the EL final would have been an absolutely understandable and probably sensible move.

I agree. He should have went in hindsight as that season was nowhere near as good as some portrayed/continue to portray. But, keeping him given we had let him get that far seemed reasonable.

Yep, I think for a lot of our supporters in general too. I never post there as it'slike a cult with the way they talk, I'll probably unsubscribe actually. I might go out in style though and make a thread pointing out how they're all idiots first.
Please do. :lol:

I've got a bad feeling that he stays till the end of the season, no matter what. I don't think INEOS have any ideas of where they could go with this if they sack him now. It's something a few of us said to those who were asking for him to be allowed the start of the season, if he fails immediately then there'll be less options on the table then there were in the summer. It's just infuriating as you could see such a big issue coming a mile off with this approach, so how could these great football guys we now apparently have not see it? The only options now are the same as the summer, minus those that got a job elsewhere. Incompetency at it's finest.

Do people not realise where we are at the moment? If Ten Hag stays til the end of season good chance we'll end up in the relegation zone.

There will be no protests. We are better than that, we are not a sacking club and we stand by our manager.

I know here an overwhelming majority is in favor of sacking him but looking at our sub-reddits it's nowhere near as dominant. Many are blaming players for letting another manager down, many are blaming INEOS for not bringing him the players he needed and generally letting him down with signings/coaches, it's not all black and white. I'd not be surprised if matchgoing fans are 50/50 or even tilted pro-ETH.

It was basically 80/20 to him staying last year, remember. It's only 6 league games into new season and it's not even like we are much worse than we were last year - and that season 80% seemed completely happy with.

That sub is run by ten hag fanbois. I got permanently banned for calling him baldhag once

The issue is that Ole finished second the season before. In hindsight, we should have departed at that point and moved on, given he lost to an inferior Villareal side in the EL Final and Xg had us in 4th or 5th, not second, which should have set alarm bells off.

However, given all that, it wasn't crazy to keep him on as 2nd place and a EL Final at the time, was met with positivity. But, once results went south (not for the first time in his tenure, mind) he was sacked relatively soon after - though obviously not soon enough.

ETH is like a cat with 9 lives: he would have been booted last season had it not been for the takeover. Then, INEOS clearly decided he wasn't for them and interviewed other candidates, but allegedly Tuchel turned us down. I mean, the reality is, that things have actually been on the slide since we won the LC against Newcastle. Tottenham wasn't some "turning point" - it's literally a continuation of the shite we've seen for a long time now. He should have been sacked a couple of times over by now, but yet he's still here. At least Ole and Jose got the boot relatively soon after things went to shit, but ETH seems immune to that.

For anyone who's ever watched Pitch Meetings - all I think about is ETH being asked why he hasn't been sacked yet and coming out with "actually it's super easy, barely an inconvenience". Although @Sarni has been a massive wum, I'm starting to see why he thinks ETH is immune to being sacked.

Told you he's the LUCKIEST manager in our history! Hahaha....

I was only remembering Ferguson's words after either the 2009 or 2011 Champions League final loss to Barcelona. Something to the effect of nobody has ever given Man Utd a beating like that, he was right at the time. Now it happens every other week and the manager is probably the biggest contribution to the fact. He will be gone soon, he's just not good enough despite the cup wins.
To be fair recently we have been outplayed worse than that by the likes of Newcastle, Liverpool and even Bournemouth.

Those two cups account for just 12 of his 123 games in charge. The League Cup run was as favourable as you could get. Even avoided having to plan an Arsenal/City/Liverpool in the final.

Plenty of average/failed managers have won cups or reached finals:

Juande Ramos 07/08 - Sacked a few months later
Ronald Koeman 07/08 - Sacked weeks later
Kenny Dalglish 11/12 - Reached two cups finals and won 1 of them, yet sacked
Roberto Di Matteo 11/12 - Sacked a few months after winning The CL
Roberto Martínez 12/13 - Relegated with Wigan despite winning The FA Cup

Exactly my point, he needs to stop talking about this. Talk about this season and where the team is... bottom half, cant beat a mid team in EL at home, negative goal difference, I could go on.

He needs to be sacked, I am surprised that he is still here, he should have gone after Liverpool, but surely after Spurs, you cannot lose like that in 2 consecutive home games.

He's been taking PR lessons from "Washee", best answer to a defeat is to come out waffling and keep living in a fantasy land.

Respect to the lady interviewing him that she manages to stay awake the whole time.

Last edited:
I would've sacked Mourinho after Seville. And I wouldn't have even let Solskjaer see out the season he finished second and got the Europa League final - he should've gone as soon as he fecked up the CL group stages.

Him going onto lose that Europa League final was no achievement - the only reason we were in the Europa League that season was because of that disgraceful performance in the CL group stages.
So, after having gone through 5 Managers in the last 11 years (averaging 2 seasons per manager) and not challenging for the title in that time...
your idea is to sack even more managers and become the next Chelsea?

Lets not also forget Claudio Ranieri was sacked after the greatest premier league victory in history (albeit after about half a season).

A cup win shouldn't mask 12 months of terrible of football and results, especially when the cup win itself was lucky for most of the run.

This is true to be fair, but also feels like we are fast approaching a breakdown in relationship between manager and players again.

I get the players honestly. The manager has let them down and distanced him from themselves. So basically, players are accountable for everything and the manager never put himself into questions. He lost them a long time ago. The cup was just a bip as players found motivation for themselves.

How long did Wigan take to sack Bobby Brown Shoes after he won them the FA Cup or Leicester to sack Ranieri after he won them the league?

I get the players honestly. The manager has let them down and distanced him from themselves. So basically, players are accountable for everything and the manager never put himself into questions. He lost them a long time ago. The cup was just a blip as players found motivation for themselves.

We have to stick to the plan.
The club are in transition.
We have to be confident and stick to the plan.
We have to improve the process.
We want to win every game to get better.
We have to find solutions.
We have young players.
We have to stick to the plan and bounce back.

Every press conference. We have been in transition for 3 years now under ETH

Well that is his responsibility.

We were bad at passing before him, and we are still bad at passing now. Maybe more time should be invested into passing during training.

Maybe also, it has something to do with not signing midfielders known for their passing except the one with a defective heart, and on his last legs...

Maybe also don't play a system that exposes the weak passing nature of your players...
We had a completely different team before he came and now. So the logic doesn’t work.

We have to stick to the plan.
The club are in transition.
We have to be confident and stick to the plan.
We have to improve the process.
We want to win every game to get better.
We have to find solutions.
We have young players.
We have to stick to the plan and bounce back.

Every press conference. We have been in transition for 3 years now under ETH

I think he has a go to line regardless of the question after these losses.

Its the same shit in every presser like mate.. give your head a wobble.

How can a manager who says good isn't good enough, be so poor at self reflection.

Remember back in the good times being fecking fuming for a week when we lost? Now I just have pure apathy.

We're not just losing, we're being absolutely battered, with no response. How can you play two games at Old Trafford close together, concede three in both and score zero in both. It just boggles my mind how dreadful we are when the chips we down, we don't lay a glove on anyone. Then you have owners that witness this unfold, and take no action until it gets even worse.

I think he has a go to line regardless of the question after these losses.

Its the same shit in every presser like mate.. give your head a wobble.

How can a manager who says good isn't good enough, be so poor at self reflection.
Yes agree, even if he wins he should still go

I don't ave a strong antipathy against Utd, I really don't, I prefer you guys to any other Big 6 team except us.
My view on this comes with the obvious small caveat that I do prefer you end up behind us in the table. For that reason alone I've been in the EtH 'in' camp.

Changed my vote to 'sack' now, but I am still kind of hoping you don't yet as I'd like to build up a cushion first.

My team isn't even in the same league and I still kept my vote on back ETH. '99 Never forget.

But I guess "it's spurs lads".

Yes agree, even if he wins he should still go

He can win 10 games in a row and that wont change me mind now, I gave him time and benefit of the doubt but once I decided that he's got to go, no matter what he does now, its over for me.

This is true to be fair, but also feels like we are fast approaching a breakdown in relationship between manager and players again.

It has happened so many times though, at some point it's his fault that these individual mistakes consistently lead to us falling apart. You have to account for these things if the players you play keep doing them, unless it's literally a mistake in the 6 yard box for a sitter.

Player errors exist within even the best coached team, the issue as has been pointed out is the gaps between players and player positioning when mistakes happen, and that is down to the coaching.

Same thing as blindly blaming injuries in defence last season whilst at the same time not providing any cover from midfield to help the diminished defence, instead leaving a lone midfielder to try to intercept and everyone else miles upfield.

This to me speaks to the biggest problem with ETH, he has a system he believes in and when it fails for whatever reason it is always an external factor at fault, rather than addressing the issues and adapting his system he to mitigate and minimise areas of risk he blindly ignores the risks which have been highlighted by the failures and sticks to his system, and then again blames something or someone when it falls down.

At least 4 years. After 6 years, every manager is becoming SAF.
SAF was 44 when he took over at United. And had a good CV at an unfashionable club like Aberdeen, where he managed from the age of 36-44.

ten hag will turn 55 early next year. He's not a young manager. He should be at his peak.

There is a new wave of young coaches such as Arteta (42), Hoeneß (42), Iraola (42), Motta (42), Alonso (41), Amorim (39), Kompany (38), McKenna (38), Farioli (35), Hürzeler (31), etc.

A young, up and coming coach is the one thing we haven't tried. Arsenal, Leverkusen, Juventus, Sporting and others are benefitting from that approach.

I remember Phillipe Auclair describing how SAF and Wenger worked. It's not that the club was terribly run per se, it was very well run but the Football side was run by SAF and it was the correct approach. The issue is that the moment SAF left, the club needed to completely change the way it operated and it's something that needed to be anticipated but Gill didn't, he pushed for a SAF-lite in Moyes which was almost guaranteed to fail because the model that United followed is rarely successful and rarely applied since there isn't many SAFs and Wengers.
As much as there is blame for the Glazer takeover, I think often the departures of Edwards and Gill are ignored when considering the impact changes have had, even during SAFs tenure the club suffered, especially from the loss of Gill.

The whole system is failed when 1 mis place pass = a clear chance for opponents. How often have we been transitioned on after bad pass / touch this season.

The manager needs to account for that, not every pass will be successful. It seems we are the only team that gets punished for mistakes, its mainly because the manager sets the team up to fail.

I mean defensively, our pressing is rubbish, any half decent team can play through it. Our rest defence is rubbish, our low mid block is rubbish, our low block isn't even a block.

So out of possession we are poor how are we on the ball? even worse.

People say we dont have a pattern of play but we do, I dont agree with the notion we dont have a style.

Onana passes it to the CB who either pass it to full back and we go back to Onana and he launches it and we lose the ball. or we keep passing it around the back until we get pressed and we just kick the ball long.

That is the pattern of play, pass pass pass pass kick.. press and repeat.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of links to any new managers.

There's a lot of noise about Ten Hag's possible sacking, and this thread, which is focused on wanting him gone is a lot more active that the Next Manager thread.

Surely there needs to be a plan in place for his sacking (maybe that's what the talks with different managers was in the Summer? Building relationships for a contingency plan) and it can't just be "give it to Ruud and see what happens".

I am all for sacking Ten Hag - I have seen enough to know he ain't the guy. But I don't think just getting him out the door as soon as possible no matter what, is the answer.

Do not forget Sir Alex comparison too. People should be slapped for this kind of idiocy.

People need to stop comparing managers, it never works. SAF should never be compared with firstly, it was a completely different time.

The whole system is failed when 1 mis place pass = a clear chance for opponents. How often have we been transitioned on after bad pass / touch this season.

The manager needs to account for that, not every pass will be successful. It seems we are the only team that gets punished for mistakes, its mainly because the manager sets the team up to fail.

I mean defensively, our pressing is rubbish, any half decent team can play through it. Our rest defence is rubbish, our low mid block is rubbish, our low block isn't even a block.

So out of possession we are poor how are we on the ball? even worse.

People say we dont have a pattern of play but we do, I dont agree with the notion we dont have a style.

Onana passes it to the CB who either pass it to full back and we go back to Onana and he launches it and we lose the ball. or we keep passing it around the back until we get pressed and we just kick the ball long.

That is the pattern of play, pass pass pass pass kick.. press and repeat.

Fair play. You understand his tactics far better than I do.

He's so obviously deluded and just full of excuses. How on earth our owners can keep faith with this charlatan is beyond me.

Genuinely, Glazers would have acted by now.

He's so obviously deluded and just full of excuses. How on earth our owners can keep faith with this charlatan is beyond me.

Genuinely, Glazers would have acted by now.
The Glazers would hire Tuchel and let him
do whatever the heck he wanted.

Ineos are attempting a more nuanced approach.