Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
As much as there is blame for the Glazer takeover, I think often the departures of Edwards and Gill are ignored when considering the impact changes have had, even during SAFs tenure the club suffered, especially from the loss of Gill.

No Gill is the biggest culprit and he left after SAF, the same summer but two months later. Also post 2002 was a very successful period for United. The issue is simply that Gill relied entirely on SAF like every other chairmen that the club had but he was supposed to be the one preparing the club for the post SAF era and he didn't, so the club has logically been free styling since 2013 because it's not a club with an history of success outside of omnipotent managers, there has never been a successful structure or culture outside of the manager.

At this point I'm pretty convinced ETH will go once the owners have found an adequate replacement.

No they wouldnt, they waited until top 4 was not mathemathic possible before sacking a manager.
Which means they would have sacked him at the end of last season, just as they did with LvG. If I may remind you, EtH failed to reach top four and United finished 8th in the league.

This season’s form is without any big injury problems.
I dread to think what it will be like if a few key players were out for any length of time.
Seriously, we could get dragged into a relegation battle under Ten hag if he is staying.

People need to stop comparing managers, it never works. SAF should never be compared with firstly, it was a completely different time.
It's a flawed comparison on so many levels. SAF had won the Scottish league and European cup winners cup with fekkin Aberdeen. Even Klopp had won titles in Germany against Bayern and gone to the CL final with Dortmund and you could see what he was trying to do with the scousers.

Neither of them spent £600m (or the inflation equivalent) and consistently served up the dross for 3 seasons that ETH has managed where the fans have no clue what he is trying to do.

Which means they would have sacked him at the end of last season, just as they did with LvG. If I may remind you, EtH failed to reach top four and United finished 8th in the league.

That was only because Jose was available

So, after having gone through 5 Managers in the last 11 years (averaging 2 seasons per manager) and not challenging for the title in that time...
your idea is to sack even more managers and become the next Chelsea?
Chelsea have been much more successful than we have been with their trigger happy approach, they’ve actually won the league and CL in the last decade.

Every big club does that as well, ie fire struggling managers. We are the only club in the world whose fans have actually convinced themselves that giving managers infinite amounts of time will lead to them becoming world class.

That was only because Jose was available
You probably could say "they only sacked EtH because Tuchel was available" in this scenario as well. Moyes was also sacked once he couldn't reach the CL any more, Ole and Mou were sacked even earlier in a season, but while lingering outside top four.

This is an obsession with our fans. Both Ole and ETH have had the good old Klopp and Fergie comparisons.
And the Klopp comparison is insane, he was instant success at Liverpool and only got better from there. That man was making EL final and spanking Chelsea and City away from home with a squad that was barely better than Stoke.

Ineos are taking the time to fix contract structures and to incentivise success. Hopefully that will lead to a change in culture sooner rather than later. Until that time comes we need a pragmatic manager who prioritises the result over everything else. We don’t need to accept a nosedive in results in the name of a never ending transition. The club will never reach the top again if the manager isn’t doing everything they can to maximise the point return every season. Do that first and then the rest will follow. Somewhere in modern footy this playing model seems to have overtaken the need to get results first. I don’t want to watch dross every week but surely the starting point is to build confidence through results and then kick on from there

No they wouldnt, they waited until top 4 was not mathemathic possible before sacking a manager.
Both Mourinho and Ole were sacked by Woodward/Glazers with top 4 still a possibility. Especially Ole who was 6 points off it.

This scenario is very similar. 3rd full season also.

Just seen he’s done an interview with Sky Sports, going to watch shortly but didn’t he do something similar when he was under pressure at the end of last season (probably after the Palace game)?

I’m starting to really dislike him tbh, just seems to be all talk without being particularly inspiring.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of links to any new managers.

There's a lot of noise about Ten Hag's possible sacking, and this thread, which is focused on wanting him gone is a lot more active that the Next Manager thread.

Surely there needs to be a plan in place for his sacking (maybe that's what the talks with different managers was in the Summer? Building relationships for a contingency plan) and it can't just be "give it to Ruud and see what happens".

I am all for sacking Ten Hag - I have seen enough to know he ain't the guy. But I don't think just getting him out the door as soon as possible no matter what, is the answer.
I am hopeful they are discussing that now. I do suspect Ruud will have a short interim spell though.

It's a flawed comparison on so many levels. SAF had won the Scottish league and European cup winners cup with fekkin Aberdeen. Even Klopp had won titles in Germany against Bayern and gone to the CL final with Dortmund and you could see what he was trying to do with the scousers.

Neither of them spent £600m (or the inflation equivalent) and consistently served up the dross for 3 seasons that ETH has managed.

It is obvious if you make these comparisons, the football IQ is not the greatest.

Klopp came in and Liverpool started pressing high and playing the style straight away, yes they struggled because of the players they had and once Klopp signed players, you saw progress.

its easy comparing but all those managers showed progress in style and league position.

I see no difference in Ten Hag's style to the very first game against Brighton. We struggle to build up and they done us on the transition, the goals they scored that day? cut backs from the bye line.

Fast forward into his third season with all the signings, we struggle to build up and we keep conceding from cut backs, nothing has changed has it?

You probably could say "they only sacked EtH because Tuchel was available" in this scenario as well. Moyes was also sacked once he couldn't reach the CL any more, Ole and Mou were sacked even earlier in a season, but while lingering outside top four.

Yeah agreed. I do think the change in ownership also saved his job.

Give him a go with a better structure and see him fail miserable is the answer.

Last edited:
The Glazers would hire Tuchel and let him
do whatever the heck he wanted.

Ineos are attempting a more nuanced approach.
By ‘nuanced approach’ you mean hanging onto a manager they should have sacked months ago? Now 13th in the league.

Yeah very subtle….

Ineos are taking the time to fix contract structures and to incentivise success. Hopefully that will lead to a change in culture sooner rather than later. Until that time comes we need a pragmatic manager who prioritises the result over everything else. We don’t need to accept a nosedive in results in the name of a never ending transition. The club will never reach the top again if the manager isn’t doing everything they can to maximise the point return every season. Do that first and then the rest will follow. Somewhere in modern footy this playing model seems to have overtaken the need to get results first. I don’t want to watch dross every week but surely the starting point is to build confidence through results and then kick on from there
ten Hag got results and never kicked on. We've never really played good football under him. Maybe a spell here or there between The World Cup and February.

It's not like we can say we're playing good football. We're bad to watch and aren't getting results. He should have been sacked a long time ago.

So, after having gone through 5 Managers in the last 11 years (averaging 2 seasons per manager) and not challenging for the title in that time...
your idea is to sack even more managers and become the next Chelsea?

Yes.

@stevoc @Robbie Boy @Sarni @Yagami as you can see, there's a good number of our fans who still just don't get it. These are the guys who need to see this through for the penny to drop.

Yes.

@stevoc @Robbie Boy @Sarni @Yagami as you can see, there's a good number of our fans who still just don't get it. These are the guys who need to see this through for the penny to drop.
Keep ten Hag for 4 more years then, or however much is needed to just get him in line with what Fergie got + 2 extra years, and tell me when he's done so I can get back to following football. Just indulge the innate need of Man Utd fans to stand by their manager and give them time.

Honestly we should have done that with Moyes already. At least he was also Scottish and we were far better under him than we are now.

First he needs to keep the defense compact and disciplined. If we are not scoring goals at least stop conceding cheaply. It will at least give some fighting chance to the already weak attack. Is there a loophole in this plan?

Let’s face it. It’s just a matter of when now.
It infuriates me so much when he moans about how much time it takes for young players to bed in.

Look at Villa tonight. Unai Emery took a team in the bottom half of the league and got them to 7th and then 4th. Now playing Bayern in the champions league and playing some of the best football in the league bar Liverpool, City & Arsenal.

He’s had his time and we gave him the majority of the players he wanted. It just hasn’t worked but was a nice bonus getting 2x cups.

He's been taking PR lessons from "Washee", best answer to a defeat is to come out waffling and keep living in a fantasy land.

Respect to the lady interviewing him that she manages to stay awake the whole time.

Oh my god.. the first fecking word that comes out of his mouth… process , even though he was asked something irrelevant
I can’t stand him.

ten Hag got results and never kicked on. We've never really played good football under him. Maybe a spell here or there between The World Cup and February.

It's not like we can say we're playing good football. We're bad to watch and aren't getting results. He should have been sacked a long time ago.
Yes agree with you on all points. He has had the chance to show he can progress to the next stage of the plan and has been unable to do it. The regular hidings are too much as well. If defence wins titles it’s pretty clear this manager doesn’t have the capability to lay this foundation

Ah, so he’s going out the Mourinho way…

Nah Mou called out individuals and this guy even now is never once blaming commitment or desire of the team never mind individuals, I want his era over now, but I also want the era of Rashford and many other mainstays of several managers to be over, long before the next guy trusts them once again as regular first team players! I would have called them out by now and I would before I left.

Let’s face it. It’s just a matter of when now.
It infuriates me so much when he moans about how much time it takes for young players to bed in.

Look at Villa tonight. Unai Emery took a team in the bottom half of the league and got them to 7th and then 4th. Now playing Bayern in the champions league and playing some of the best football in the league bar Liverpool, City & Arsenal.

He’s had his time and we gave him the majority of the players he wanted. It just hasn’t worked but was a nice bonus getting 2x cups.

Exactly, he doesn't like the older players, got rid wants to get of them with Casemiro Ronaldo etc.. Doesn't rate the players Maguire and the like.

The players he signed aren't young, Antony, Licha, Onana, Eriksen, Mount, Hojlund, Mazroui, Zirkzee. They have all had experience in different leagues. Yes, you will get a few young players, which you will always have.

It is also easier to get young players to buy into your system, he has failed at everything.