Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think people are being silly if they think he’s got many more flukes left in him now. We’ve reached the end game. I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t win another match under him. Sunday was so bad, one of those typical end of a manager performances we’ve sadly seen too many of over the last decade.

Mitchell Van der Gaag and Schteve died for this.

Brought in two actual managers as assistants and it’s still the same. It’s obvious he’s hanging his assistants out to dry with his ridiculous tactics.

Yeah, I changed my vote to EtH out 2/3 into last season - having sat on that fence for quite a while leading up to that point. Then he miraculously survived his end of season review, having won the FA Cup (should have been a good "send off" for him actually when Ineos should have fired him and a clean start for everyone after that point etc.)....

Soooo....i figured "what the hell, might as well be positive and hope he turns it around this season" - i didn't necessarily change my vote to "in" but was looking forward to the season. Feck, I thought I'd at least make it to December with my glass half full shite but it's what, 7-8 games in & I want him to feck off.
Agreed. I do understand why they kept him after that final win. Especially with the lack of stand out replacements. But it would have been a very ideal time to part ways with a handshake. United needed it to move forward, and Ten Hag would have left with his stock still high. Now when it does inevitably happen this Autumn or Winter, it's likely going to be messy and leave a bad taste in peoples mouths. It's a shame because I like him and think he's genuinely done his best.

Delaying it ends up with more toxicity or people simply wanting us to lose to allow the inevitable to happen.

Yeah definitely reached that feeling today so thanks INEOS for ruining any excitement for the games

It's kind of hard not to be. The Spurs result was one thing - but what's pissing me off is the fact that looks like INEOS will happily dither around with yet another manager who needs to go.

It's all just so predictable how this will end, but yet we'll persist with ETH just so they can save face.
Absolutely.

It’s very very worrying that the new board seem to have kept in on based on an FA Cup final. The only thing I can think of is that there were no alternatives and they thought the FA Cup win may be a changing point, because it was for Fergie remember!

Everything is so damning yet we'll seemingly stay course to completely finish off any chance of a productive season...

The crazy thing is, everyone is looking at the heavy defeats and how many there's been. What no one's remembering, are those games that should have been heavy defeats but somehow weren't. Games like Brentford away last year, every trip to St James' park since the carabao cup win etc.

The reality is, as many heavy defeats as we've had, there should have been much more under him. That's how hopeless we've been.

Yes but apparently there’s no one available now that’s an upgrade on the worst manager we’ve ever had.

One of the most ridiculous lines of argument in this and the previous thread. People were really trying to push that nonsensical "no other manager would succeed here" babble or the other, even more bemusing one - "we've sacked managers before!". You’d say "this is shite and not working. We need to cut ties before permanent damage is made" - and posters would come out the shadows asking you to do some faux DoF routine.

Meanwhile in the real world premier league and european clubs dipping into second tier domestic leagues for their managers and seeing returns in terms of style, performances and results.

Facts.

I'd rather Ruud get two weeks to prepare than 2-3 days, giving things a better chance of a positive change in the overall environment. It's not like when Carrick stepped in because he'd been here for years both with Ole and Jose, Ruud has been here since the start of the current season.

Also, if Ruud were to step in now and lose two matches then that will still be added to the negative feelings that will fester for two weeks over the break which does no one any good, but if he's announced on the eve of the break it will lift things.

My hope was he only got these two games to buy INEOS time during break to smooth things over with Tuchel which I feel can be done

Sacking him doesn't mean the club will be back on the track and the players will magically start to play better (well they kinda did well Ole took over) but it is a necessary step. We're going nowhere with him and just because what's to be is unknown, doesn't we should keep him

I can’t believe they haven’t done this, even just to give the club some optimism with two important games in the horizon.

I have been defending them because I was so encouraged by the summer, but this is verging on negligence now.

Get him out now and, at least, stop the bleeding. Him staying for the next two is bullshit and will achieve absolutely nothing.

Same. I’m also tired of hearing people willing to write the season off. feck sake it’s not even October, there’s no need to “write off” anything.
Large sections of the fanbase are deathly allergic to sacking managers for one reason or another.

Managers are, at the end of the day, another employer at a club who should be replaceable if not performing at the required standard. Decades of success under SAF has warped reasonable expectations on how long a failing manager is given time before inevitably getting sacked.

Seeing that Spurs DM run past Ugarte and De Ligt like that pretty much killed all my hopes.

I can’t believe they haven’t done this, even just to give the club some optimism with two important games in the horizon.

I have been defending them because I was so encouraged by the summer, but this is verging on negligence now.

Get him out now and, at least, stop the bleeding. Him staying for the next two is bullshit and will achieve absolutely nothing.

Couldn't have put it any better, would actually have been intrigued with Ruud given Porto and Villa

Mitchell Van der Gaag and Schteve died for this.

Brought in two actual managers as assistants and it’s still the same. It’s obvious he’s hanging his assistants out to dry with his ridiculous tactics.
Funny enough, the "back the manager" crowd has no issue with assistant managers and positional coaches getting sacked and taking the blame for our problems.

I think people are being silly if they think he’s got many more flukes left in him now. We’ve reached the end game. I wouldn’t be shocked if we don’t win another match under him. Sunday was so bad, one of those typical end of a manager performances we’ve sadly seen too many of over the last decade.
2 more thrashing’s we have to see. We might scrape a draw against Porto, but Villa will batter us. Especially since they dropped points to Ipswich, they’ll know we’re there for the taking at there place.

Funny enough, the "back the manager" crowd has no issue with assistant managers and positional coaches getting sacked and taking the blame for our problems.
Ye under ole, Carrick and McKenna got a lot of stick. McKenna then went on to get back to back promotions and still doing well in the prem with Ipswich.

We should have had get out clauses for poor performance eg outside of top 10 after 6 games.

He wouldn't have agreed to it. He has made no attempt to hide the fact that he finds it insulting to be objectively judged for his job performance.

Anything short of complete awe and unanimous praise at his record breakingly bad job performance is an afront to the man.

Not really, in their minds they’re new to the seat. Who cares what anyone thinks as long as they get to where they plan to be in a few season?

Season is so early doors anyway, they might believe ETH can turn it around, they might simply be waiting for the break and already have someone lined up.

Because reputation affects how we get to the place we hop to be in a few seasons - recruitment of quality personnel is harder if we look like a shambles.

If they actually think Ten Hag can turn it around then it’s all irrelevant anyway - we’re cooked if that’s how poor their judgement is.

Although there is pressure on Ten Hag, I am surprised its not more. I remember the Ole pressure when it was the end game and this doesnt feel the same.

I hope I am wrong in this. The pressure from fans in the stadium was obvious, they supported the team in game and showed their frustrations at half and full time.

I think its time to crank the pressure up because there is absolutely no way he turns this around or should be given the opportunity to. He needs to go now, he has had his tests and failed them all.

Last season, I brought injuries and the like as an excuse last season. Look at Newcastle and Chelsea, once they have players fit they look different and we look the same if not worse.

I really hope he is sacked this week.

it's just so frustrating that he's so just non-flexible with his tactics...you'd think by now he would see that how he sets up the team defensively just isn't working given up the number of goals we give up

If you've reached the point where you're giving him two games (Porto and Villa) to save his job you should probably sack him. Why would two results make a difference? You get rid of someone based on a long period of results, so two more won't change anything.
Yeah, doesn’t make sense.

Seeing that Spurs DM run past Ugarte and De Ligt like that pretty much killed all my hopes.
TBH as bad as that goal was, it was a heck of a run at some pace.... these things happen, it was the way we played before and after that goal that was a much bigger problem

If you've reached the point where you're giving him two games (Porto and Villa) to save his job you should probably sack him. Why would two results make a difference? You get rid of someone based on a long period of results, so two more won't change anything.
I don't think they're giving him two games, I think it's probably the case that they need time to secure a replacement, they'll need to do the due diligence to see whether it's going to be an interim/Ruud or full blown replacement. By now there is enough evidence to make a decision, I highly doubt they will rely on the two games upcoming, if anything they serve only as time to find the replacement.

Large sections of the fanbase are deathly allergic to sacking managers for one reason or another.

Managers are, at the end of the day, another employer at a club who should be replaceable if not performing at the required standard. Decades of success under SAF has warped reasonable expectations on how long a failing manager is given time before inevitably getting sacked.

It's so frustrating considering you can simply look at other top clubs in football and see how ruthless many of them are willing to be when the standards drop to anything below "best of the best". There's no need to "give time" to a manager that is clearly out of his depth, he's not a fecking 18 year old academy player making his debut or something.