Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
And Mitten has been backing him for a long time even last season. When Andy think's your time is up you know it's a dire situation.

I felt an angry undertone listening to Andy Mitten earlier today, it definitely feels like when people like him start to turn the game is well and truly up for ETH. The whole "I've seen this movie before" thing followed by the comment about people quoting vague sayings like "It's always darkest before the dawn" really came across as if he's seen enough.

Whether eth goes or not, utd should take absolute piss out of this red card and why var was not used to revert it, it will have influence over the season in general

I doubt they give a moments thought to all the media that hangs around us like a bad smell.

I don’t just mean the media. At the end of the match yesterday when Ange shook Ten Hag’s hand, he gave him a look of complete and utter pity. And for me that encapsulates where we’re at right now - even rivals are either just laughing at us or they’ve moved past that stage and instead just feel sorry for us.

Do you really think Ineos don’t care in the slightest what their reputation in the football world is after going to the effort of buying one of the biggest clubs there is?

I fear our reputational damage and missing out in European football would be more expensive in the long run...

Wouldn't this mean we've breached PSR? We had already gone to a slight net negative of around -£100k from my understanding. For the sake of £100k unlikely PL would enact punishments but -£17.5m is another case entirely

I do remember some of us shared concerns for the terrible football on display and the luck we had in so many games. Signs were worrying a lot earlier than in the 23/24 season
Yep. After the Newcastle win it was largely shite, and then I grew even more concerned when we made Mason Mount our top target that summer.
There is no acceptance. Even if there were fans backing him, after last night, I cannot see one fan who still wants him here, he has to go now.

Its just too often that we are in this situation, every 3 weeks is not sustainable.
Oh they are in here. Trust me.

Wouldn't this mean we've breached PSR? We had already gone to a slight net negative of around -£100k from my understanding. For the sake of £100k unlikely PL would enact punishments but -£17.5m is another case entirely

If he stays we are breaching anyway as we won’t be getting any tv revenue from Europe.

I felt an angry undertone listening to Andy Mitten earlier today, it definitely feels like when people like him start to turn the game is well and truly up for ETH. The whole "I've seen this movie before" thing followed by the comment about people quoting vague sayings like "It's always darkest before the dawn" really came across as if he's seen enough.

Big time I think a lot of the people who got caught up in the FA Cup win and/or were fooled by his injury excuses last season have finally seen him for what he is. A decent manager but one who is clearly out of his depth at this level, this league and this club.

Genuinely the manager I have disliked the most here. It was horrific under the previous managers but this guy is the worst of the lot.

If you've reached the point where you're giving him two games (Porto and Villa) to save his job you should probably sack him. Why would two results make a difference? You get rid of someone based on a long period of results, so two more won't change anything.
Yeah it was that logic that kept him in the job, because he won the FA Cup final. If he beats Porto and Villa, then he's hardly suddenly the right man for the job.

Likely because they want to give the new guy some decent time to get adjusted, rather than throwing Ruud in there now in two back to back away matches before the International break. I think it's sensible too.
Feels a bit cowardly. An interim won't get much shit if we lose those two games and in a best case scenario they might actually get the team playing better. The other option feels like just accepting two losses purely to give an interim/new manager an easier start. If they're good enough they won't need an easy start.

I fear our reputational damage and missing out in European football would be more expensive in the long run...

Imagine how much worse it would've been if he had agreed to the new contract that was offered (rather than the club activating his one-year extension).

Weghorst stinking up the starting XI game after game is when alarm bells started ringing in my head, although I didn't fully turn against ETH until a few games into the disastrous CL campaign last season.
The amount of fans defending that tree and even loving him drove me insane. But it was also a microcosm of United fans issues as a whole, as the majority are romantic saps that love a good storyline and a player that kisses the badge and tries hard even if he’s complete shite.

I feel like this club is virtually impossible to manage. We've tried every type of manager going, every single one of them has failed. In fact, almost every manager in modern history has failed here. Take SAF out of the equation, and you've got 40 years of complete irrelevance either side.

I was in favour of keeping ETH but obviously he had to deliver this season. Until yesterday I was mildly encouraged by some of the performances, if not the results. Against Palace we played some lovely inventive passing, lots of triangles and deft little interchanges. Couldn't score as per, but it felt like we were moving towards something different. Where did that go? Been no sign of it in the last two games.

Regardless of the managers suitability for the role, there is no excuse for that kind of performance yesterday. The lack of effort, the lethargy from minute one, the seeming inability or unwillingness to even run or try. If we had no manager at all and the players were told to make it up themselves I'd expect a better showing than that. If we'd lost 0-8 or 0-9 yesterday it wouldn't have been undeserved.

So ETH will no doubt leave sooner or later, but there's no outstanding or even obvious candidates and I have zero belief that anything will improve under the next manager, or even the one after that. This club is a poisoned chalice and unless we can somehow find a bunch of players that won't stop trying as soon as they decide they don't like the manager, we'll never succeed.

Moyes
LVG
Mourinho
Ole
Ten Hag

You really think we’ve given a fair crack to an assortment of genuinely top tier managers!?

LvG and Mourinho were once, but they sure as shit weren’t at their peak when he hired them. I just don’t accept this idea that because that list of managers has failed, every manager is doomed to fail. We just need to hire better managers, and get rid of failing ones much more quickly, rather than allowing each one to do years of damage first.

And Mitten has been backing him for a long time even last season. When Andy think's your time is up you know it's a dire situation.
I heard the podcast and Mitten who is the definition of sensible and calm was clearly angry and frustrated with the result. His statement at the outset of the podcast was honestly brilliant and it spoke to every supporter sick and tired of the shambolic football offered up by ten Hag. When a manager has frustrated Mitten that much, you know they’re finished.

If that 17.5m news is true, feck the new hierarchy and their experience. I will do a better job than them.

The amount of fans defending that tree and even loving him drove me insane. But it was also a microcosm of United fans issues as a whole, as the majority are romantic saps that love a good storyline and a player that kisses the badge and tries hard even if he’s complete shite.
Genuinely don't think he was defended as anything more than his worth as a dumpster dive loan in January.

He got particular praise around the time of knocking Barcelona out of the Europa league, and rightly so because he was very good for a brief spell of games. But after that his performance normalised and so did the general evaluation.

Feels a bit cowardly. An interim won't get much shit if we lose those two games and in a best case scenario they might actually get the team playing better. The other option feels like just accepting two losses purely to give an interim/new manager an easier start. If they're good enough they won't need an easy start.

I'd rather Ruud get two weeks to prepare than 2-3 days, giving things a better chance of a positive change in the overall environment. It's not like when Carrick stepped in because he'd been here for years both with Ole and Jose, Ruud has been here since the start of the current season.

Also, if Ruud were to step in now and lose two matches then that will still be added to the negative feelings that will fester for two weeks over the break which does no one any good, but if he's announced on the eve of the break it will lift things.

Moyes
LVG
Mourinho
Ole
Ten Hag

You really think we’ve given a fair crack to an assortment of genuinely top tier managers!?

LvG and Mourinho were once, but they sure as shit weren’t at their peak when he hired them. I just don’t accept this idea that because that list of managers has failed, every manager is doomed to fail. We just need to hire better managers, and get rid of failing ones much more quickly, rather than allowing each one to do years of damage first.

Recruitment was and still is very average. Not excusing this shambles but we need to operate more with a view of whoever was managing could succeed. I mean the first thing any new manager will ask for is a striker. All fans watching would ask the same. Things like that should be sorted with almost no manager involvement. Ala Real Madrid…

Agreed. And there’s an argument to be made that an away game in Porto will actually be less pressure than Brentford at home, given our recent home record - god help an interim that starts with losing to Brentford at home. Expectations would be lower for an away game and it’d give him more more time to move the team away from Ten Hag’s suicidal tactics before facing the home crowd at Old Trafford.

Tactically we're like a bridge, but a bridge made out of footballs. Most of the time people can walk over the bridge if they're very careful, even though it shakes a lot. Every month the bridge just collapses and has to be put back together again. And not only do we keep letting the same guy do it, we actively encourage him to and say "Well, if we replace him it better be with the finest engineers money can buy." When in reality we just need someone who can build a fecking bridge that doesn't regularly shit itself and welcome opposition teams to maul us - bridgely speaking.

Yeah angriest I've been for quite a while with United. Pathetic I've let myself get so annoyed but hey ho.

It's kind of hard not to be. The Spurs result was one thing - but what's pissing me off is the fact that it looks like INEOS will happily dither around with yet another manager who needs to go.

It's all just so predictable how this will end, but yet we'll persist with ETH just so they can save face.

Last edited:
Imagine how much worse it would've been if he had agreed to the new contract that was offered (rather than the club activating his one-year extension).

I doubt that actually. I assume he didn't sign because INEOS are pretty shrewd negotiators. I wouldn't be surprised if they had sack clauses in there based on performance or tried to reduce his wages or whatever.

New ownership and still same old crap. Extending contracts and adding pay rise to players/managers we don't need to. feck about on important decisions and delay it for too long, only to end up with the safe option. Compound the situation due to a large pay off which it would require to get the person sacked. And, then take even more time and waste more points and matches before doing the inevitable.

What has really changed honestly under INEOS when it comes to football front?

Listening to the Athletic podcast, Mitten thinks he's gone. Says this is the worst it's been under Ten Hag, he's got no excuses anymore, and he's 'seen this movie before' with Ole, LVG, and Jose.

Really? Is this a promising sign? I'm not too informed on which journos are any use these days.

We've all seen how these shit shows end multiple times already. This is proper late stage Jose all over again.

Last edited:
I don’t just mean the media. At the end of the match yesterday when Ange shook Ten Hag’s hand, he gave him a look of complete and utter pity. And for me that encapsulates where we’re at right now - even rivals are either just laughing at us or they’ve moved past that stage and instead just feel sorry for us.

Do you really think Ineos don’t care in the slightest what their reputation in the football world is after going to the effort of buying one of the biggest clubs there is?
Not really, in their minds they’re new to the seat. Who cares what anyone thinks as long as they get to where they plan to be in a few season?

Season is so early doors anyway, they might believe ETH can turn it around, they might simply be waiting for the break and already have someone lined up.

There's nothing admirable about sticking with a bad decision my friend.
I don't really disagree. In truth it's more important that the renovation project does not become mired in one manager. I'm still not 100% convinced he's the problem and he can't turn it around, but the case against him seems rather hard to refute at this point.

Anyway I will still give him till New Year but that's just me. I fully expect him to get sacked if we don't turn up in the next two games. And without a decent centre forward I don't see that happening.

If you've reached the point where you're giving him two games (Porto and Villa) to save his job you should probably sack him. Why would two results make a difference? You get rid of someone based on a long period of results, so two more won't change anything.
Chances are he will pull some ridiculous results out of the hat, and everything will be fine.
He should be judged on money spent against success/trophies won, if you think two cups and low level Euro comps are a success then he stays.
I have to admit I backed him for maybe 1 1/2 seasons, then it started to wane, now I'm firmly in the out camp, I just don't see any improvement over last season, in fact it feels as if wwe have gone backwards

Part of it is that, and part of it is also this delusion that every decision that appears nonsensical to fans (tactics, transfers, etc.) is actually part of some genius master plan that will pan out eventually.

Everything is so damning yet we'll seemingly stay course to completely finish off any chance of a productive season...