Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
6 games into the season only Ipswich and Leicester have conceded more chances (xGC) than us. Only Ipswich and Leicester! Our expected goals conceded per game is 2,18, compared to 1,97 last season (...compared to 1,10 and 1,00 in Ole's two full seasons or the 1,49 disaster Ole/Rangnick season). Last season he hid behind injuries. Now he needs time, because apparently the only thing worse than injuries is new players. We score less than a goal a game and sit on less than half the points of our rivals.........., but ETH has no conserns regarding his job.

Imagine managing Manchester United, losing back to back 3-0 at Old Trafford in the Premier League and then say in the post match presser that you have no concerns regarding your position at the club. "We're all in the same boat" "I have no concerns" "We knew it would take some time".

The football we play under him is not just the weakest post Fergie it's probably the weakest since the '74 relegation.
I mean, he should have been sacked sometime last season or at least in the summer, or at least after the Liverpool game, or at least......why does it have to go this far? We are in free fall and it is no point in postponing the inevitable. You don't need a PhD in sports management to see that his project is failing, that he's in over his head and that he doesn't have the tiniest little clue of how to turn this around. You don't even need to have an IQ above 70 or be into football to see it for crying out loud.

Yup....Porto (a), Villa (a), Brentford, Fener (a) & West Ham (a).

The Fener game is the least I am looking forward to. I can bet that Fred will run circles around our midfield and Jose will do everything to embarrass us.

And that is a "easy" run. Villa away with high line is the hardest game. Brentford and West Ham are poor but will turn into Prime Barca against us because that is what we do.

Yup, I can see the posts on here after, "we shouldn't have let Fred go" etc... He needs to be sacked now.

My concern is we’ll get rid of him and nothing will change. A lot of our bad play is down to players mentality and commitment, Rashford pulling out of that 50/50 is a prime example, he’s been like this under numerous managers. I think the squad is still too fragile. The next manager needs to be able to light a fire under the players arses.
It has become fashionable to lay the blame at Rashford's feet. 8 of the 11 players that started yesterday were either bought or brought up from the academy under ETH. Seven on the bench were the same.

Last edited:
The narrative will change again when we get whooped by Porto.... I have been ETH out for a good while, but unless the performances are stellar vs Porto and Villa then irrespective of results the guy has to be binned off! if we win, lose or draw the next couple it surely has to be down to how we are playing.

The thing is performances have always been the key, you can suck up a bad result when you can see something happening, results aside we have only binned off a post SAF manager based on performances not just results, as it should be... even if you let last season skate because of injuries, which I still think is weak, then the performances this season have still been largely poor, any improvement has only been by comparison to last season's abject awfulness under the same guy.

It must be obvious to all now that he's done, we've seen it before and there's no coming back from this. So it's rather pointless to just delay the inevitable, it seems that for some reason that is happening but at the very least I'd hope they are starting discussions with replacements.

Just changed my vote to sack, this performance was so horrible particularly, where we were tactically inept, nor mentally stable.

I have been a pretty much ardent supporter since start of this season, but have had enough of the excuses that ETH makes about progress, we very clearly lack a voice in the dressing room that our players are scared to ignore.

More than the scoreline, the desire, passion and urgency were missing from the first half.

ETH’s tactics might be decent, as he’s proven earlier as well, but whatever style he’s playing needs us to have a fwd line of Vinicius, prime Ronaldo and Messi. We need to be super clinical and our fwd line of 20 year olds just can’t do it day in day out.

I see he's expected to last the week. We're at the stage where we end up losing game after game until any hope of redeeming the season is finished. INEOS are just the polished turd version of the Glazers.

Maresca comes in and has Chelsea playing great attacking football, best scoring team in the league, he's been there 3 months. Slot comes in and it's been like no drop off from Klopp and they are top of the league, been there 3 months

ten Hag is in his 3rd fecking year, not month. He should not be getting 2 games to save himself. Should be sacked and let Ruud be caretaker until you find someone. So what happens if we get a result against Villa and Porto but then feck it up against Fenerbache and Brentford? Does he stay because he passed the objective of getting results in the 2 matches that was set as the criteria or is it now a rolling 2 match trial where 2 back to back bad results and he's gone? If that is the case shouldn't Twente and Spurs be the 2 bad results dropped 2 points to a Dutch side and a nightmare against Spurs both at Old Trafford

Just the thought of watching his "football" for even a minute more makes me want to puke. Just try to imagine for a second this being any other club, especially the elite of Europe. You can't, because it wouldn't happen. He would have been sacked so long ago, his time would be a distant memory. Real Madrid fans would have probably resorted to... less than civil activities. Only at this circus you see something like this. If I was an oppo fan, I would have a large smile on my face and just take in the entertainment.

Woodward was absolutely right.

Just changed my vote. Really tried to keep my faith but I can't after last night. Don't see a way back for him now. Think it's going to be Ruud taking over after the international break with a proper replacement coming after that.

He needs to be gone, this is a squad capable of a lot more, worst coached team in the league.

I wanted to give him a few months after the summer but I don't think there is any coming back for him and changed my vote ...
The first few performances were ok IMO even tough the results have weren't great.

But we seem to be getting worse again and those last two games were unwatchable... I hate beeing a miserable cnut because a couple of millionairs can't be bother but just can't help myself ...

My concern is we’ll get rid of him and nothing will change. A lot of our bad play is down to players mentality and commitment, Rashford pulling out of that 50/50 is a prime example, he’s been like this under numerous managers. I think the squad is still too fragile. The next manager needs to be able to light a fire under the players arses.
He seems to have been, at best, selective with how he has handled players. He was ruthless with Sancho and Ronaldo but gives Rashford a lot of leeway. Maybe there’s a logical reason for this based on what we don’t see behind the scenes but it comes across as preferential treatment when none of them have been delivering on the pitch.

I think at this point we're just prolonging the inevitable. I could see us managing to get a result against Porto, but we will be found out once again against Villa and I would hope that would be the end of it.

Hopefully we are actually looking into other managers already.

its so not so much obvious or predictable (on form we should get smashed out of sight) but inevitable that we will win both the games at Porto / Villa, and then after the break fail to win vs brentford (H on the 19th) and lose at fenerbache (A 24th). and then the game against west ham away on the 27th will be the end of the matter.

'Is considered a viable option if a change becomes necessary.'
Why must we always go further into loss and despair before the club sees the writing on the wall?
Someone needs to make a decision and release a statement.

Maresca comes in and has Chelsea playing great attacking football, best scoring team in the league, he's been there 3 months. Slot comes in and it's been like no drop off from Klopp and they are top of the league, been there 3 months

ten Hag is in his 3rd fecking year, not month. He should not be getting 2 games to save himself. Should be sacked and let Ruud be caretaker until you find someone. So what happens if we get a result against Villa and Porto but then feck it up against Fenerbache and Brentford? Does he stay because he passed the objective of getting results in the 2 matches that was set as the criteria or is it now a rolling 2 match trial where 2 back to back bad results and he's gone? If that is the case shouldn't Twente and Spurs be the 2 bad results dropped 2 points to a Dutch side and a nightmare against Spurs both at Old Trafford

Nope, 2 bad results in a row only resets the season and activates the new trial. 2 more bad results and then serious thought about his position is activated. Probably needs 6 bad results in a row to see him sacked.

feck it, rip the bandaid off and have Ruud in charge against Porto

if results and performances dont pick up? talk about setting a ridiculously low bar considering where we finished last season. were actually on track to do worse.

“If change becomes necessary.”

When will it become necessary if it isn’t already? When we crash out of Europe? When we fail to get top 4? When we lose 0-7 to our biggest rivals? When we’re thoroughly established as a mid table side?

Seems like short of ETH being indisposed, there’s little likelihood of change being deemed necessary.

Specifying those fixtures makes it seem very much like a matter of time now, otherwise it'd have surely been simply "support the manager".

On the topic of losing to Villa, depending on scorelines, we could be find ourselves as low as 15th by the end of the weekend. Bournemouth are at home to Southampton, Everton at home to Newcastle, and West Ham and Ipswich play each other.

Yeah they gain nothing by projecting chaos. We know they've spoken with plenty of managers near end of last season - they almost certainly have a good read on their options and must have had a 'point of no return' strategy for this first section of season. I think our points total is as bad as anybody could have feared at this stage.

I would be surprised if he isn't gone after Villa

I absolutely love Ruud, as i love solskjaer - don't want to see him treated by 'fans' as solskjaer was

Like, just do it now. Either you believe in his management or not.

If you still believe after last season and the start of this season, I don't know what to say anymore.

The hope is they get someone that won't be scared to drop guys like Rashford and Bruno. Everyone could see Bruno needed to be dropped for a match or 2 and ten hag refused and look at what happened basically the reason he is now on the way out. Maybe if Bruno doesn't get the red we go into HT down 1 and regroup for the 2nd half but that basically killed it off he was forced to bring on Casemiro at HT and 2 min in Casemiro gets muscled off in an aerial duel and it leads to them hitting us on the break, 0-2

BBC article "I am not getting any sense there will be a knee-jerk reaction. United want to portray a sense of calm."

Would getting rid of him be knee-jerk? Some might say it's over a year too late.
Keeping him after the FA Cup win was the knee-jerk reaction FFS

Like someone said above...we look weak as feck. It's been 3 years and we can't string 2 passes together.

Just changed my vote to Sack. I am done Sorry EtH has let us down. Can't say it's not his team now.

Our match-going fans are just too accommodating, I'm afraid. The boos weren't even that loud yesterday - and OT largely still applauds the manager/team to the tunnel regardless of disasterclass. I can't imagine it ever getting "white handkerchief" time ugly at OT - which I believe would have forced/precipitated a move from leadership if it did.

The fanbase, much like the club/leadership, just doesn't have that dawg in them. We're too nice, and care too much about optics ("United DNA", "United way", "Back the manager"). It is what it is.
IIRC all of our post-SAF managers were clapped off the pitch at OT even after their last home games

This is why buying new players and expecting change is futile. You need to get rid of the bad apples first.

:lol: Yes, that's exactly what we need....a sense of calm.

Anyway homies, whoz next?

- We tried "cut from the same cloth" - failed miserably.
- Then we went with "Football philosopher and winner" - bored us to death and failed.
- Then we went "Football nihilist but a serial winner" - burned the house and failed.
- Next up was "United DNA" - Bought some good times initially but ultimately failed.
- Next we went the hipster route, though only temporary - failed; although if we had kept him the squad would definitely be in better shape today.
- Now we have the hipster on a permanent - failed and has probably bankrupted us with his signings.

Who do we hire next? Is any "category" still remaining? Have we come 360 and go Scottish again? Or do we reverse the cycle and start with a hipster first this time?
It's "young with fresh ideas" surely. Or we hold a raffle and the first in the "prize winner category".

its so not so much obvious or predictable (on form we should get smashed out of sight) but inevitable that we will win both the games at Porto / Villa, and then after the break fail to win vs brentford (H on the 19th) and lose at fenerbache (A 24th). and then the game against west ham away on the 27th will be the end of the matter.

We won't.

I fear our reputational damage and missing out in European football would be more expensive in the long run...

It's quite the view obviously held by Ineos, too.

If there was a white-hot candidate, an available Klopp or Pep type, Ineos would be all over him like a packet of cheap soup. But there isn't and therefore Erik stays in situ.

Ineos are not risking their reputation on choosing three years of EtH-level mediocrity, they have breathing space behind the fact there is no discernible replacement to whom they inherited.

Come on. Even Woodward sacked a cup winning coach who outperformed his rival when a genuine upgrade was obtainable.

Can you really not see this is the main reason, possibly the only reason, EtH has not already been clipped?

Who is Mitten's idea for a replacement?

Yes. The match yesterday was eerily reminiscent of Ole's 0-5 reverse to Liverpool. Dalot not bothering to track back redolent of Greenwood's 'efforts' tracking his man for the first. Marching through midfield. Senior player red-carded. Fed-up fans. Rain. Everything.

It would have been another five-six goal job had Spurs a more potent weapon than Werner. A player so consistently inconsistent I'm surprised we've never signed him up and made him our number seven.
Klopp the original is unemployed

I'd be stunned if we aren't privately reaching out to managers. Ruud will obviously take over in the short term and that's fine.

At least there's a new bunch of good defenders in here now with Yoro, De Ligt, Mazra, Martinez and Ugarte. Just imagine if we beef up the attack next window.