Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't get why we keep throwing games away just to see if he can turn it around. It's clear he can't and giving him games to prove otherwise is crazy. There's only so many games in a season to keep giving him. We can get something at Porto and Villa if we bin him now but instead we sending him to the Dragao and Villa Park to further get humiliated and take us further backwards.

Listening to the Athletic podcast, Mitten thinks he's gone. Says this is the worst it's been under Ten Hag, he's got no excuses anymore, and he's 'seen this movie before' with Ole, LVG, and Jose.

I really wanted him to succeed (because that off course means our team succeeds), but it seems like it won't be happening for him. But what makes me not trust him anymore and why I don't mind if he's gone, is that there seem to be no change in how we play and specially how we lose, which hasn't changed since last season and maybe even since end of first season(when cracks where starting to show, think it was around that Newcastle semi final if I remember correctly). I'm never surprised anymore when we lose, becuase you can see it coming a long way (like against Spurs). And when we win, it seems to be down to individuals and not really the way ETH sets up the team.

Also he seems to persist with a suicide midfield setup, by that I mean, push up everyone when we have the ball and only defend with 2 CBs and either an aging Casemiro or Ugarte who just came to the league, which is so naive and stubborn/stupid.

And I don't know who we should replace him with, but I do know that he's not the man for the job anymore.

Reactions: 711
Listening to the Athletic podcast, Mitten thinks he's gone. Says this is the worst it's been under Ten Hag, he's got no excuses anymore, and he's 'seen this movie before' with Ole, LVG, and Jose.

I mean he's definitely gone - it's just "when" not "if" now, which makes it all the more ridiculous that its not right now!

See I think he comes across as quite a nice bloke - like I'm sure you could have a very pleasent conversation with him when you're in line at the Post Office.

But yeah he isn't inspiring, or charasmatic, or, you know, a decent football manager... which are kinda the main things!

Really? I’ve always got the sense he was a complete and utter prick tbh. I don’t know what exactly it is, but I get a distinct villain vibe off of him. Maybe it’s the fact that he gives off Walter White vibes.

I don’t think his public support for Overmars and his private support for Greenwood help, mind.

I agree with him. Feels like he really has two games to save his job. Even if we beat Porto then lose to Villa I can still see him getting the sack during the international break. As I've said our CEO and directors are not tied to him.

I mean he's definitely gone - it's just "when" not "if" now, which makes it all the more ridiculous that its not right now!
That's what the rest of the lads are kind of saying, it feels like Ole's 5-0 loss to Liverpool. There's no recovery left. Mitten said any support for the manager from the FA cup win has now evaporated from the match going fans.

It seems to me that the players are no longer playing for him, that’s the death knell. Abject performances every game now, no passion or intensity. Confidence in the gutter. Regardless of tactics, there’s fact that there’s no fight in any of these players suggests they’re not playing for him anymore.

Really? I’ve always got the sense he was a complete and utter prick tbh. I don’t know what exactly it is, but I get a distinct villain vibe off of him. Maybe it’s the fact that he gives off Walter White vibes.

I don’t think his public support for Overmars and his private support for Greenwood help, mind.

I think it's all the "heh's" ... They're quite disarming!

Just sounds like I am going on and on but I don't find him particularly likeable or inspiring.
He isn't. And I might get slated for saying this, but I also think his communication skills are quite poor. In the press conferences he is asked something and he replies something else. I understand that English isn't his native language, but it makes me wonder whether his messages also get muddled when he's trying to communicate with the players.

Any noise at all that his time is up?
According to sky just got the ‘vote of confidence’ from the board which means unless he basically wins the next 6 on the bounce its curtains.

Thats always whats said just before the sacking. Here we go

Feels like he's unsackable at this point which is hardly going to make him change what he's doing

I thought Ineos would be ruthless sorting out all the backroom staff etc, and I agree that needed sorting before they changed the manager but now that's done, so there's no excuses

Probably don't want to admit they were wrong to keep him and give him a new contract. Massive Massive mistake to have kept him this summer.

Only by incredibly naïve fans. And it's this thinking that will ultimately hold us back more than any other, now that we've finally got our higher management sorted.

It's quite the view obviously held by Ineos, too.

If there was a white-hot candidate, an available Klopp or Pep type, Ineos would be all over him like a packet of cheap soup. But there isn't and therefore Erik stays in situ.

Ineos are not risking their reputation on choosing three years of EtH-level mediocrity, they have breathing space behind the fact there is no discernible replacement to whom they inherited.

Come on. Even Woodward sacked a cup winning coach who outperformed his rival when a genuine upgrade was obtainable.

Can you really not see this is the main reason, possibly the only reason, EtH has not already been clipped?

Who is Mitten's idea for a replacement?

It seems to me that the players are no longer playing for him, that’s the death knell.

Yes. The match yesterday was eerily reminiscent of Ole's 0-5 reverse to Liverpool. Dalot not bothering to track back redolent of Greenwood's 'efforts' tracking his man for the first. Marching through midfield. Senior player red-carded. Fed-up fans. Rain. Everything.

It would have been another five-six goal job had Spurs a more potent weapon than Werner. A player so consistently inconsistent I'm surprised we've never signed him up and made him our number seven.

I think we likely get done 2-0 to Villa, similar to Moyes's last game against Everton, and then he will be binned.
Villa are absolutely flying; Villa Park is becoming a cauldron; once they smell blood there, they go for the throat with a ferocity few in the league can match.

I have no idea where the romanticised notion we can go there and a fluke a result is coming from. Even keeping the score down sounds fanciful; I’d have it down as a potential humiliation with a cricket score conclusion if they aren’t looking past us to the next game(s) once we’re walking dead.

If they go at us full throttle from start to finish and don’t take their foot off the pedal, well… take your guess at what the final score might be. The key is scoring a goal or two early. If they do that, we’ll give up.

I think he has to go now. Too many signs that there is no improvement in this team.

We cannot keep going into home games wondering how many we will lose by.

Absolutely shocking performances from the team, we cannot continue like this.

Nah, there's more than enough reason to sack him now, two more games doesn't change the fact he's not up to the task. The issue is it seems INEOS are reluctant to get rid of him at the beginning of a season, probably due to the fact that all they've done since trying to replace him is talk about backing him. I'm sure they'd rather him stay in this position until the summer and then they can sack him and claim abject failure on his behalf despite massive backing, and have the option of more managers. Or maybe they already have someone lined up for the summer but we have to wait? Who knows?
Yeah, I keep changing my tune. Yesterday convinced he was going nowhere. The fallout in the media today is very much reminiscent of Ole and Jose's final days.

I still think there is something wrong with the culture and have no confidence that any next manager will not suffer the solid first season, worrying second season, and third season collapse. But the excuses have simply run out for ETH now, and whatever mitigating circumstances there may be (dwindling as they are), he cannot organize the team to at least be solid. And it is not as if he is dying on a sword of his philosophy either.

If he was an all out attack manager who refused to be defensive when needed, there would be grudging admiration in that. Similarly, if he was a stubborn park the bus manager serving dogshit football but sort of grinding out results, again, fair enough. But he is neither and the team cannot play coherently in any sense. No matter the problems around him, dressing room and/or club, that is down to him.

Changed to sack. I wasn't expecting miracles this season but assumed we could be competitive and show signs of progress which is why I was reluctantly backing him before. Feck that, we are shite.

He isn't. And I might get slated for saying this, but I also think his communication skills are quite poor. In the press conferences he is asked something and he replies something else. I understand that English isn't his native language, but it makes me wonder whether his messages also get muddled when he's trying to communicate with the players.

By all reports, that's the reason Spurs passed on him so I don't think it's too controversial.

I'm not sure it's just his English though, I think I remember people saying he was a similarly poor communicator in Dutch partly caused by being from a weird region that has a strange accent or dialect. Any Dutch posters who could confirm that?

Jesus. I think I can name all the SAF losses. The thing with ETH is he's had so many tonkings I couldn't tell you if it was home or away. How many 3+ goals losses has he had overall?

Yeah I think it's

0- 3 Everton Aug 92
0-3 Chelsea Dec 01
1-4 Liverpool Mar 09
1-6 City Oct 11

I still think there is something wrong with the culture and have no confidence that any next manager will not suffer the solid first season, worrying second season, and third season collapse. But the excuses have simply run out for ETH now, and whatever mitigating circumstances there may be (dwindling as they are), he cannot organize the team to at least be solid. And it is not as if he is dying on a sword of his philosophy either.

If he was an all out attack manager who refused to be defensive when needed, there would be grudging admiration in that. Similarly, if he was a stubborn park the bus manager serving dogshit football but sort of grinding out results, again, fair enough. But he is neither and the team cannot play coherently in any sense. No matter the problems around him, dressing room and/or club, that is down to him.
I think this is why he was kept on and will continue to be so, unless we now lose a couple on the bounce. The new senior team hasn’t really had time to do much, I’ve seen posters who think they got into their seats and apparently everything should now be fixed but it will take ages to undo the low standards of the last few years (in my mind the year the players turned on Mou onwards).

We don’t like to admit it but we’ve had a generation of academy players now grow up with the influence of guys who simply aren’t good enough and don’t have the drive that it takes to play for United; because you need to be a bit of a weirdo to play here, the media will hammer you at every opportunity and you won’t get lauded for winning.

I suspect he's lost everyone's confidence now, you can see it in the players so you can only assume the technical leadership are thinking the same & the fan base definitely has... I hope they're just waiting for the correct moment to pull the trigger.

I can't see him lasting after these 2 games, the players will sense he's on the verge and given recent history it wouldn't be surprising to see some of them down tools further.

I think it's all the "heh's" ... They're quite disarming!
I don't get the sentiment for him being a prick, most things that have come out over the past few years paint a nice picture of the guy (the Greenwood stuff was mostly officious, it was twisted and blown up by Crafton and the Athletic that had a massive agenda on that topic, but I don't think it's as black and white as was made out). I also feel his initial treatment of Sancho, sending him away to the Netherlands to get his head straight, etc., was the proof of a guy who genuinely cared about the wellbeing of his players, but ultimately, even if he had been the right manager for us in the right circumstances and in the right structure, it's too late now and the damage is too deep.

But I think he's a nice guy. Not particularly charismatic, but a good person.

Never seen a club like this. Everyone at the club loves to say it's the "biggest club in the world" then show zero ambition or any will do act like a big club.

Bunch of cowards with no plan B. Woodward would have sacked him by now! So glad we have "football people" at the club where previous results don't matter and it's all about the next game.

So if he wins 1 or 2 of the next 2 games he keeps his job and all this circus is forgotten. It's absurd.

Public backing now from Ineos - there’s clearly a lot going on from an operations perspective they want to get done before they pull the trigger on a new manager

OK

Be tedious as much as you want, if that’s what you enjoy. But at least be consistent when on your high horse

Here’s the entirety of the post where you shared redknapp’s wisdom

TsuWave: Agreed. I said something similar before:

So you were sharing your previously declared wisdom that ten Hag will ruin our younger players.

And shared a video where the closest redknapp aligns is in talking about old Trafford being a graveyard for players.

You mentioned nothing about goals.

We can all be pedantic, but it’s really tedious. And if you’re going to assume intent, jump on the offensive, and call out people’s comprehension, it’s probably best to be consistent when doing so.

Have a lovely day

I agreed with a poster that said we can’t leave young talents under Ten Hag’s supervision and stated I’ve shared similar thoughts before - quoting said post. But again, these are statements that can’t be proven right or wrong currently.

I also added a clip of Redknapp saying United has scored 5 goals in 6 games, which is incredibly poor and that United is a graveyard for players and that they look devoid of ideas and confidence here (paraphrasing). These things aren’t mutually exclusive nor conflicting. Since we can’t as a matter of fact state how good/bad Ten Hag would be for the development of these players long-term, at this stage - your conclusion that I posted Redknapp to prove me right is inherently flawed - his overarching point in the clip simply substantiates my lack of confidence in Ten Hag developing these players. This isn’t a seal of right/wrong, however - and Redknapp being habitually wrong doesn’t mean he isn’t right in what he said.

Public backing now from Ineos - there’s clearly a lot going on from an operations perspective they want to get done before they pull the trigger on a new manager

I find it interesting that bbc says for 'forthcoming fixtures against porto and villa.' I really do think a bad loss at Villa would finish things.

See I think he comes across as quite a nice bloke - like I'm sure you could have a very pleasent conversation with him when you're in line at the Post Office.

But yeah he isn't inspiring, or charasmatic, or, you know, a decent football manager... which are kinda the main things!
I'm not sure if it is maybe more to do with views he has had on people like Overmars or Greenwood, or even just how he normally is, but I really don't like him.

Indeed! That does seem to be quite important :lol:
I agree on communication and to be honest I've heard it from other pundits and journalists who covered him in the Netherlands too, that his communications skills aren't great. I just find myself confused listening to him when he goes off on tangents and as you say sometimes just doesn't answer the initial question.

But yeah, I will be relieved when he eventually goes as I am just really fed up with him.