Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reset :lol: So we are basically giving him one off games to save his job again. It will be an endless circle because he will be able to fluke a result in 1 out of 4 games we seem to always be giving him to save his job.
They're desperately hoping he can turn it around so they don't have to sack him and can see out the season before they have to make a decision.

I think he’s generally got the 2 games this week and they’ll make a decision going into the international break

We aren’t winning either game this week in our current form
If that is the message from the board, I wouldn't be overly surprised if the players acted on it.

The beginning of the season was supposed to be the reset.
Yeah it's not happened. The Brighton loss is the one for me, we didn't deserve anything out that game anyway and we've spunked hundreds of millions now to end up with two strikers that can't score goals and a midfield that can't pass the ball at the pace required in 2024. If we could be clinical and/or dominant that would be something but we are neither.

Is this "reset" the same as the "fresh start under the new structure" ETH got at the start of the season from our fanbase, where we pretended that the last two seasons didn't happen? Does this mean that now we pretend that this season has only started from the Porto match this week? :lol:

I don't know how a win over Vila gets us something in a long term? We see no progress on the pitch from last year whatsoever, what are fluke 3 points gonna change?

Two more games of this clown. No chance we win in Porto and highly unlikely we win at Villa too. Sacked during the international break. Shows that Ineos are not exactly proactive. I'd sack him now and use the two games and international break as a grace period to get the new guy settled in. I doubt Ineos have a replacement lined up though.

I’m all for sticking with the manager, and I do prefer Ten Hag over any manager we’ve had post fergie, but the biggest concern for me is we look absolutely clueless. This can’t continue.

I thought he was supposed to be a tactician, and a no bullshit type manager that would drop under performers? It’s the same old crap. We look completely clueless every single game and the signings haven’t addressed the biggest flaws in the team. That, for me, is why it doesn’t feel right any more. There’s not even small signs that we can kick on to be a top team.

I think he’s generally got the 2 games this week and they’ll make a decision going into the international break

We aren’t winning either game in our current form
Thing is they've forced his hand with the red. With kamikaze Bruno out, he'll actually play a midfield, we'll retain the ball better, and probably win one or both games. (If Mainoo is somehow available)

Not because Bruno is a bad player, but he's horribly out of form, has been like this for a while, and seems to be given the freedom of the pitch to do whatever he likes which means our structure is a mess.

Next week should be identifying a replacement and bringing in someone over the international break or at least preparing for a Ruud interim while shortlising managers.
I find it incredible there isn't more noise about his position, and why they don't just have Ruud take charge while they work on finding another. The fans would at least be on board with that. Just delaying another week without even trying to do something is mental.

He has overseen the spending of £150 million on Mason Mount & Antony.

He has also overseen the spending of £118 million on Rasmus Hojilund & Joshua Zirzkee as the ‘new’ goal scoring forward line.

£268 million on 4 players, all very questionable.

That alone is an atrocious negative in addition to the very poor results over the course of a 12-18 month period.

Thing is they've forced his hand with the red. With kamikaze Bruno out, he'll actually play a midfield, we'll retain the ball better, and probably win one or both games. (If Mainoo is somehow available)

Not because Bruno is a bad player, but he's horribly out of form, has been like this for a while, and seems to be given the freedom of the pitch to do whatever he likes which means our structure is a mess.

I bet he just picks Mount instead and we’ll be exactly the same sadly

Can't believe we are in September and the season is already gone. The man needs to go. Should have been binned a year ago. Unbelievable.

This is Solskjaer all over it. You are either sure in your manager after 2 years or not. So, what if he beats Porto and draw with Villa? He is safe until next defeat which will mean again that he has one week to save a job? Never ending cycle.

Ridiculous thinking by "best in the class" football people.

I like how Ten Hag blames the early goal and says it made the team lose belief. But really I imagine the team thought "are these tactics shite? They definitely feel shite." And the early goal just confirmed that we were in fact, yet again, tactically shite.
I think that definitely happened yesterday. Because if we were all watching that performance thinking "this is genuinely this worst I've seen from United in God knows how long" the players SURELY must have thought the same thing. How could they have belief in the tactics that are regulalry seeing them get pumped tactically so often?

And even the gaffer saying that, we lost belief after 2 minutes?? What the actual feck are you even doing with this team then?

The league season is already a write off now. We're going to be 9 points behind even Villa by Sunday.
Ridiculous. There are only 6 games played. Only 6 points behind 4th and 8 behind 1st. With 32 games left. In theory we can still reach over 100 points :)

Hire new manager now and season is wide open. As we can see over and over and over again; manager doesn't need months and HIS team to produce results.

Maresca is doing well. Kompany is doing well. Brighton is doing well. Liverpool is doing well. Barca....

I'm imaging Berrada with Ashworth on his right, Wilcox on his left, going around Carrington this morning proclaiming:

"Reset! Guys, it's time to reset! Reset!"

Leaving a trail of confused people in their wake.

Keeping him on was obviously the wrong call. It's clear to everyone. For every minute they dither now, they're compounding their mistake. A clear case of the sunk cost fallacy. It's terrible to watch the new guys making all the same mistakes from the old guys' playbook of "how to waste yet another season at United" (registered trademark of Ed Woodward, accountant).
Do you have 20 million lying around that won’t impact PSR requirements and won’t result in points deduction?

This is Solskjaer all over it. You are either sure in your manager after 2 years or not. So, what if he beats Porto and draw with Villa? He is safe until next defeat which will mean again that he has one week to save a job? Never ending cycle.

Ridiculous thinking by "best in the class" football people.

It'll mean he's safe until Christmas and as long as he gets a positive result or 2 before the winter break, he'll be safe until March. And at that point they'll give him the rest of the season.

With the highest probability, the new board has put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to the manager. They had an evaluation, bought players, and thought things couldn’t actually get worse. Instead, they’ve focused on the club’s financial situation, laid off staff, and hired expensive architects to build a new stadium. EtH has become a temporary solution for the season, just to avoid dealing with that part. Now that things are going this poorly, they probably don’t have a solution in place and don’t want to lose face right away.

They’re likely working on a new solution, but it’s probably still in the early stages, and they want to take their time to ensure it’s done right this time. If they hire yet another manager who can’t handle the team and the media, which EtH hasn’t been able to do, they’ll find themselves in even deeper trouble.

They’ll probably let him stay until the break, review all options, and then evaluate what can be done. It’s not just EtH, it’s the whole staff he’s handpicked. It seems like this could cost quite a bit. Additionally, some players have likely been signed because of the assurance that EtH would be coaching, and in turn, he’s given them various expectations.

Once again, we’re in a mess. If only they had dared to rip off the plaster this summer!

INEOS not exactly looking like a decisive unit.

But I’m just going to tell myself they’re doing this to buy time til the international break/because Porto and Villa would be bad games for a new coach (even interim). Because otherwise it’s just - what the feck are these guys on?

While I always thought International break would be the time ten Hag gets sacked, after 3-0 loss yesterday it should be today or tomorrow morning with Ruud in charge for Porto and Villa games. It would also give the club time to agree terms with new manager (hopefully Tuchel and not Southgate).

We failed to beat Twente and another poor result in Europa would only make it all more frustrating in that competition. We're behind in league and another defeat at Villa will make it even worse.

I do believe ten Hag will be gone this time next week but also afraid a draw/win at Porto and a win at Villa could save him which would be terrible. We've got nice schedule after the break (Chelsea game aside) and that could be a chance to pick up points. Ten Hag doesn't deserve to be around for those games anymore, not after Twente and Spurs. Time's up hopefully.

Arrogance from the new recruitment team. A refusal to admit their mistake and a desperate gamble that he can miraculously turn this around and save face for them in the next couple of games. How are this lot any better than the last lot? The last lot probably would have sacked him by now.

Major failing from INEOS. They didn't want this manager in the summer and now they are bottling sacking him. What do they think will change in two games? We've been awful for a long time.

True.

However, Ole had just finished 2nd so keeping him on seemed fair enough, even if the new contract was slightly unnecessary. With ETH? There was literally no reasons to keep him in the job. We should have thanked him for the FA Cup and went our separate ways.

It would have kept his reputation somewhat intact, and it would have been a good early call by INEOS. Keeping him on is just going to damage both their reputations now. There's no winners with the decision to stick with him.

And yes, we're in that end game now like with Jose and Ole, where a win here-and-there will bizarrely see him get more time. We've been here before and we know how it ends. It's just a matter of time. The question is: how far will the new ownership let us plummet.