Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
ETH speaks "for his life" at United and is willing to sell even his grandmother to avoid being sacked:

Erik ten Hag confirms no expectation to be fired as “ ”
1f534.png
1fac2.png

“I’m not thinking about being sacked. We all made this decision to stay together in summer, it was clear plan”.
“It’s been decided as ownership group and leadership group. Also we made the decision, after a clear review, what we have to improve as an organisation… how to construct a squad”, ten Hag added after the defeat.
“All decisions made in togetherness and also knowing it would take some time. So we are all there on one page, one boat, the ownership, the leadership group and the staff, players too and myself of course”.

Taken from: Fabrizio Romano
Yeah but I don't think they meant you'll be fine if you keep losing every other fecking week you moron!

No, it wasn’t an identical structure. You seem to be likening any system that employs pressing to Ten Hag’s in order to defend his failure of a system. Pretty much all the top teams nowadays press, but there’s an absolute ocean of tactical nuance below that which determines how a team performs, both with and without the ball. And it’s in that nuance that managers succeed or fail, and Ten Hag’s system has proved very much a failure in both the league and in Europe.

Look at Lentwood’s recent thread. It lists in detail the various tactical failings that are apparent under Ten Hag’s system.
It's an excellent post from Lentwood but those issues aren't nuanced.

They're just the basics of a decent team. The fundamentals.

I agree, fans sentiment at that time was strongly pro ten Hag with petitions making circles that it would have been challenging to make that decision. They still should have made it.

The only silver lining in this is maybe as a fan base we are going to be more careful about romanticizing managers and the long term project nonsense. That is if we actually make a decision to part with him now which I doubt we will. Fully expecting it to take a lot more for him to get sacked.
Clearly results and league position aren’t enough to get him sacked, or he’d be done already. So I assume all focus is on performance and the demonstration of evolution of a playing style, and positively trending performance fundamentals.

Sadly, he utterly fails there too. So it’s hard to see on what basis he’s still in a job. At this point I’d take pretty much any other manager over him. He’s so laughably out of his depth that it’s hard to swallow. He’s the most tactically naive, uninspiring manager of my lifetime at United. Van Gaal had the dullest football by the end, but he had a clear plan and play style. But Ten Hag, he just seems to put eleven guys out there and hope for the best. In fact, he actively seems to subvert any positive trends we accidentally accumulate.

For example, the one positive at the start of the season has been our ability to keep the ball under pressure when we play technical players. We saw that evaporate against Palace when he withdrew Amad, and went for two speedy wingers (but played no balls in behind). So naturally, we dropped Amad today. This guy can’t even get the basics right. The way VdV waltz through our entire team for the opener was just criminal. It showed a complete lack of organisation. People are quick to point to individuals, but it was clear immediately that no one was quite sure what their job was; and that is 100% on the manager.

He’s so clueless, so useless it’s genuinely incredible that he remains manager of Manchester United. Every oppo fan I know was celebrating when we decided to keep him this summer. Not just celebrating, but laughing. Because they knew, just like some of us without our top red tinted glasses knew, that it would be another shambolic season under him. That we’d be laughably easy to play against.

We are at best looking at a mid table finish. I would say that if we don’t ditch him, we may not even finish in the top ten. He’s a fecking joke; and every day this continues is a stain on this once great club. Bayern, Real, Barca, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Inter, Chelsea, Juve, Milan……the list goes on….would any of them have continued with this guy after last season? Would they now after this start? We all know the answer to that. The fact we stick with him doesn’t make us better than them, it makes us demonstrably worse. The worst part is, it’s not like we have been unlucky to lose the games we have….Brighton maybe a little, but Liverpool and Spurs could and should have put at least five past us, without reply. And that’s at our ground. This is a major crisis situation. Under Ten Hag the team is fundamentally broken. And it’s the same problems over and over and over again. It’s not new problems, it’s the same shit. It’s inexcusable not to fire him. feck fan sentiment. Our fans have been front and centre in the creation of mediocrity ever since Ferguson retired.

The most hilariously daft comparison I see drawn is how Klopp and Arteta had some underwhelming league finishes early on. But what they won’t tell you, is that for those who were looking, a clear evolution in play style and progression was happening. Each signing taking them a step closer to achieving their desired level. Under Ten Hag? None of that. He’s spent a fortune and we are going backwards. I couldn’t tell you, for the life of me, how he wants us to play. It’s all so haphazard and inconsistent. Some of the positioning off the ball today, I just had to laugh. It made no sense. I’ve seen u12 coaches with better tactical set ups than this fraud.

Last edited:
That's exactly the reason INEOS kept him despite some acting like the fan backlash wasn't a factor

If a couple of thousand fans signing some poxy petition swayed INEOS, then we might as well give up now mate.

What would make it weirder would be that they kept him on to prove how shite he is - which really wasn't necessary - but also gave him another couple of hundred million to spend. All this, over a few fans on Reddit and some petition (which I can't imagine actually went anywhere).

If he is still United manager on Tuesday it is proof beyond doubt that INEOS aren't up to it.

I think they’ll wait to see if we get negative results against Porto and Villa.

Porto away and Villa away would not be a good first two games for a new manager/Ruud to take on.

It's easy in hindsight to say ETH should have been sacked in the summer.

The reality is he was winning things, he was starting to get his own team together, he just had one of the worst injury hit seasons in our clubs history and no other great options for manager were on the market.

It was the right call to keep him on, if anything just to see if he could build on the FA Cup win.

He hasn't and its time to move him on. Its not a case of "I told you so" like some fans are running with.

INEOS have havn't done anything wrong here in my opinion.

But this was only 6 games ago.

If you didn't want him sacked then how can 6 games flip your opinion?

Should have gone in the summer but here we are. Now we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's an excellent post from Lentwood but those issues aren't nuanced.

They're just the basics of a decent team. The fundamentals.

Well yeah, but I was catering to my target audience, which in this case was a poster who thinks Ten Hag’s system is perfectly fine and exactly the same as Liverpool’s.

We should have sacked him in the summer obviously.

But at least sacking him now, after he's shown once and for all how inept he is as Utd manager, means we won't get a section of the fanbase acting like he could have turned things around if only he'd been kept on after the cup final.

If we'd won the cup final and then sacked him you know those fans would have kicked off. The fact it's now unanimous he has to go removes that annoyance at least.
Yep, the only saving grace: I said this in June

Not that fussed but man oh man for Eth and those who’ve backed him all this while.
Theres no fecking about now. No more excuses, no more bullshit. The team HAS to perform next season. Results and performances.
If he fails from here then that should be it, no waiting around wasting the season. By October you’d expect to see this improvement that’s been promised. Otherwise he should be sacked no questions asked and about 100 “i told you so” threads should be welcomed and encouraged on this site.

Those United fans who continue to drag the standards of this club to the depths of the titanic will have absolutely nothing to say after this.
Injuries, needs time, no glazers, his players, Klopps two seasons, xg, it’s all in the bin now so when we move on from this disastrous experiment there is no excuse.

Almost exactly a year ago we lost 1-0 at home to Palace in a game where we looked utterly dreadful.

I think that was the first time i was seriously worried about ETH. So it's probably a year since I gave up on him. He legit should have been sacked about 4 or 5 times in the last year, it's amazing he's still here really.

We don’t have to wait, we know for a fact we won’t win them so what’s the point?
Because if the new manager loses the first two games then some people will be calling for them to be sacked too :lol: :lol:

He looks absolutely broken. I don’t understand those who want him to have a few more games. We’re just wasting time. Have Rudd take over now and take the next two weeks to bring in Allegri or Tuchel or Bozo the clown.

Tottenham's opening goal today was almost a copy of brighton's first goal in ETH's first game as manager. I reckon you could find many goals that are similar, its always the same. No pressure to stop crosses, no bodies in the box or back post to intercept the cross, it's either that or a quick counter and a cut back. It never gets remedied, it still present 2 seasons on.

That's exactly the reason INEOS kept him despite some acting like the fan backlash wasn't a factor
Today was further evidence that ETH is unable to get a response from this group of players. Once again we saw so-called senior players offering nothing and it is clear that they could not care less about our great club and the shirt they should be honoured to wear. The debate about the manager is warranted, but not enough has been said about the players themselves. It may be prudent to get rid of ETH now, and RVN seems to be a sensible interim appointment. However, RVN would need to lay down the law with the bad element within the dressing room. Price tags should not guarantee first team starts - dropping some of the 'undroppables' would help to set the right tone.

Almost exactly a year ago we lost 1-0 at home to Palace in a game where we looked utterly dreadful.

I think that was the first time i was seriously worried about ETH. So it's probably a year since I gave up on him. He legit should have been sacked about 4 or 5 times in the last year, it's amazing he's still here really.
The Bournemouth defeat at OT and the 1-1 vs Brentford

Because if the new manager loses the first two games then some people will be calling for them to be sacked too :lol: :lol:
We’re just wasting time mate. Seriously. No one believes he can win a title, so there is no point in keeping him in the job for a single second longer

We’re just wasting time mate. Seriously. No one believes he can win a title, so there is no point in keeping him in the job for a single second longer

I agree, I just don’t think they’ll pull the trigger quite yet.

Probably won't be sacked yet but I feel he's penciled in. Ineos have bought into him and will see it out for a few more games to not look like amateur hour, give the impression of a fair crack and sound out some other managers.

For Potter it would seem a poison chalice but I feel he could be a good person to set us up better short term. Ineos need a top manager with personality to match to be able withstand the pressure and keep the squad on it each game.

It's almost as if we're the only team that have new players or injuries etc...

Its almost as if that after 3 years and over £600m in transfers we shouldn't expect to have a discernible, effective style of play. Or even get results. Its like he doesn't realise he’s lost the dressing room and is a shite manager. I think in his head he thinks if he can stay in the job long enough it will all start working by itself so he just needs to keep trotting out nonsense excuses why we are shite.

Its like he just cant lift the team. Draw at struggling palace. Draw against dutch minnows. Smashed by Spurs. Was the same all last season. With him in charge we literally aren't in top 4 contention. Like 0% chance. Not even comparable to the other top teams in the league. Is that our new level?

There's no point in waiting to see what happens v Porto or Villa. Its clear we can win the odd game when our backs are against the wall. It doesn't make up for the other 30 odd games where we look utter shit. Its just continuously papering over cracks with this guy.

Well it would be Ruud in a caretaker capacity so it wouldn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, as he won't be our next permanent manager. Might as well try a new manager bounce because otherwise, we're losing both games.

He looks absolutely broken. I don’t understand those who want him to have a few more games. We’re just wasting time. Have Rudd take over now and take the next two weeks to bring in Allegri or Tuchel or Bozo the clown.

I would honestly take Paul Rudd playing a brother of Ted Lasso at this stage.

Porto away is on Thursday night so they could sack him tomorrow or on Tuesday but it probably won't happen though.

Fa Cup win basically gave ten Hag another chance to turn it around. But too no one's surprise we've got 7 points after 6 games coming into October and have already lost 3-0 twice at home in league even though it was only our 3rd home game in PL so far. It's terrible and he'll be lucky to survive until Villa.

It's easy in hindsight to say ETH should have been sacked in the summer.

The reality is he was winning things, he was starting to get his own team together, he just had one of the worst injury hit seasons in our clubs history and no other great options for manager were on the market.

It was the right call to keep him on, if anything just to see if he could build on the FA Cup win.

He hasn't and its time to move him on. Its not a case of "I told you so" like some fans are running with.

INEOS have havn't done anything wrong here in my opinion.
It obviously wasn't the correct thing to do but you carry on.