Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because people always say this stuff when things start going wrong. We’re beyond saving, it’s all a mess, fold the club etc. We’re one good manager away from being a good team, it’s that simple. A good manager will succeed here, we just need a good manager.
Fair. I really do hope that we get someone in who can lead us back to success. Like Klopp did for Liverpool.

Serious question, can we afford to sack him after the new contract?
I'm not convinced. We've just reported huge losses for the 3rd year in a row. We saw how tight things were in the summer with the sales required.

Keeping him was the cheap option.

He's not going to be sacked yet. But i guess he's only 1-2 game away from being sacked. If we play like this, we are not going to win either Porto or Villa. He will need at least 4 points from those two matches if he wants to stay.

Sadly I think they limp along to the international fixtures and then do it.

Exactly. It's damning that not one manager that we've had post-Fergie has gotten themselves a top gig, just like ETH won't. We've appointed poorly for over a decade.
Most likely because other clubs get managers ready to step up to the next level and of a good age. We have been going for past it or teetering on the downward spiral managers (LVG and Jose) or just not good enough for this level in Moyes, or fine as a interim manager until some idiot made him full time in Ole.

I kind of agree with. He won't be sacked tonight or tomorrow, but lose to Porto and Aston Villa (very real scenario, let's face it), the pressure would be significantly higher on the top management.
He's into his third season and it's a continuation of the same old rubbish. Why do we need to wait another one or two more games? It's nothing to do with pressure, it's about the CEO and directors making a smart decision to let go of a woefully incompetent employee

I know 100% what I preferred to watch week in week out and invest my time in and it wasn't what I've seen for the last 18 months.

The FA Cup win (while good on the day) did not erase a season of torture for me like it somehow wiped the memory for so many of you.

Didn't Ole's United have the best come from behind record in the league at one point? Now the moment we are 0-1 down you know the inevitable scoreline.

Most likely because other clubs get managers ready to step up to the next level and of a good age. We have been going for past it or teetering on the downward spiral managers (LVG and Jose) or just not good enough for this level in Moyes, or fine as a interim manager until some idiot made him full time in Ole.

That's exactly it. Poor appointments.

But if the system allows us to concede multiple goals with ease then we’re simply set up wrong. The first rule of football is be hard to beat, not wide open.

We’re easy to play against because we’re always looking to break fast when we win the ball and if you’re an organised team you can easily cut out the passes. I’ve been saying this for weeks, losing the ball near the half way line shouldn’t result in the opposition having an unchallenged shot on goal and scoring, but it does almost every time. There should be loads to do from that position.

It’s a failure of coaching and a flawed system that doesn’t work in this league or Europe.

We're conflating two things though - a system can be absolutely fine but the wrong fit for a group of players. The team would be set up wrong, but it isn't an inherent flaw in the system, just that it doesn't suit us.

It's a relatively high risk system when you look at the Pep's of the world who insist on dozens of passes before the team is even set to try an attack, but what we're trying to do is very similar to systems that other teams have employed very successfully, such as Liverpool.

I agree it's a failure of coaching, ETH is evidently unable to coach the players to play the way he wants them to.

Last game before the previous international break where we got bummed 3-0 at home, I called that he would be sacked after the Villa game right before the next international break and I’m sticking to it.

So that was his last OT game.

2 trophies in 2 years, he
all he had to do is really have us around 4th-5th and those 2 trophies would carry him for the full season and probably next season too but nope very well could have less than 10 points in the league and be lower than 24th in the EL going into November

He's into his third season and it's a continuation of the same old rubbish. Why do we need to wait another one or two more games? It's nothing to do with pressure, it's about the CEO and directors making a smart decision to let go of a woefully incompetent employee

The longer ineos waits the deeper the hole is for the season. They'll look like dithering fools by the summer.

Been watching football my whole life and last season, for me, was the first time people tried to legitimise "injuries" and "structure" as excuses to underperform in the manner that we did. Mind that injuries are part and parcel of the game, and seldom do managers have everything at a club optimised to support them.

I kept asking - if he needs everything to be ideal and/or running at a optimum - what's the point of him? (because at that stage, you might as well throw Mike Phelan in the hotseat, no?) It made no sense. Managers are supposed to manage.

Yes, we had injuries, but none of that accounted for his inability to coach a compact shape. People weren't asking for us to be winning games by 5-0 scorelines, but at one point Manchester United had faced more shots than any other side in Europe’s top 5 leagues in 2024. "Injuries" and "structure" do not excuse that. Not even "player quality" at this level. I wouldn't even expect United youth teams to produce stats like that if we were suddenly forced to field only U-23s. I even remember when this happened:

7c7d6c715a2f0e263a4e6a41f0aa3245da02cb23.jpg

a poster here quoted me saying "now imagine he has 4 defenders with recovery pace who can play closer to half line and allow us to compact the game. Go figure"

which left me befuddled because it's either - posters on Redcafe.net are able to recognise he doesn't have the aforementioned type of players and Ten Hag himself isn't, or Ten Hag recognises it, but is incapable of and/or refuses to do what a manager is supposed to do, which is, you know, manage? A manager should be expected to adapt and adjust, when needed, to account for injuries/hindrances and maximise results and performances despite them. Can anyone genuinely say they feel Ten Hag has done that? 3rd season, more than half a billie in - and the sign of progress we're pointing to this season is 45 minutes against Crystal Palace. Spurs won 0-3 today. It could have been 6 (Timo Werner needs to be investigated).

People tried to "wish & a prayer" Ten Hag into a competent football manager, and he may very well be one, just not one that's good enough for Manchester United and that's been evident for a very long time.

Is he really saying the red card changed the game?

I know they scored two after it, but if anything we were worse before it. At least we strung a handful of passes together at times during the second half.

There was a spell of 10-15 minutes in the first half where I don’t think we completed a single accurate pass. Only that it was Spurs and Werner against us we would’ve been 4-0 down before the red.

Fair. I really do hope that we get someone in who can lead us back to success. Like Klopp did for Liverpool.
We will but we won’t if we have the wrong manager and we’re giving him ‘time’. Good managers don’t need time, you can clearly see what they’re doing and how they’re improving. We will find a Klopp one day but to do that you need to be actively moving on managers that are failing until you find one that won’t.

Didn't Ole's United have the best come from behind record in the league at one point? Now the moment we are 0-1 down you know the inevitable scoreline.
Yes I think so. And top for subs scoring goals. Goals, remember them?

I agree with that. I have personally seen enough. I just don't think he will be fired on the back of this game, even though he should be.

Those 2 cups done a lot of heavy lifting for ETH. Just like Jose's two cups and Ole's second place finish. It just gives some fans a basis to try to justify poorly performing managers staying on.

Is he really saying the red card changed the game?

I know they scored two after it, but if anything we were worse before it. At least we strung a handful of passes together at times during the second half.

There was a spell of 10-15 minutes in the first half where I don’t think we completed a single accurate pass. Only that it was Spurs and Werner against us we would’ve been 4-0 down before the red.
MUTV were banging on about the red card as well. Only David May on radio commentary was furious about the actual performance.

Those 2 cups done a lot of heavy lifting for ETH. Just like Jose's two cups and Ole's second place finish. It just gives some fans a basis to try to justify poorly performing managers staying on.
Thing is winning cups is nice, but you then have to sustain the success and carry it over to your league form as well.

Amrabat looked a more dependable midfield player than Ugarte today, especially if you take his performance against City as a kind of indication of what he could do. That may seem like we're being selective, but ETH is still here based on that FA Cup final, so why not use it as a yardstick for players as well.

I am not sure if that means we should have kept Amrabat, but he was nowhere near as bad as what we saw today.

On top of all his other failings like team selection, in-game management, man-management, ETH is such a poor judge of a player. He's botched things up in the transfer market so much it's untrue. He's becoming a liability to the club because we are saddled with his errors even after he's finally left behind the mess he's made.

Solskjaer, Carrick, Moyes, anyone at this stage would be an improvement to at least provide some impetus.

Last edited:
Thing is winning cups is nice, but you then have to sustain the success and carry it over to your league form as well.

Exactly.

Tbf, the most optimistic I've been post- Fergie was the season after we finished 2nd under Ole. Then, the shit hit the fan. But, that 2nd place finish has done a crazy amount of heavy lifting around here.

The most negative I've felt coming into a season was this season, closely followed by Jose's 3rd season.

"But we knew it will take some time with how the window went, some players [came] late in like [Manuel] Ugarte. Also we have to make some improvement in organisation and we have some injuries. We need some time."

I
love how he just casually throws those excuses (which are standard things in football). Especially in his third season. Bloody hell.
It's almost as if we're the only team that have new players or injuries etc...

We should have sacked him in the summer obviously.

But at least sacking him now, after he's shown once and for all how inept he is as Utd manager, means we won't get a section of the fanbase acting like he could have turned things around if only he'd been kept on after the cup final.

If we'd won the cup final and then sacked him you know those fans would have kicked off. The fact it's now unanimous he has to go removes that annoyance at least.

If INEOS do not sack ETH tomorrow then they are as good as Ed Woodward and Murtogh! Clueless.

It’s disgusting he’s wasted 700 million.

Could take any one of his signings away tomorrow and they wouldn’t be missed.

If he is still United manager on Tuesday it is proof beyond doubt that INEOS aren't up to it.

But at least sacking him now, after he's shown once and for all how inept he is as Utd manager, means we won't get a section of the fanbase acting like he could have turned things around if only he'd been kept on after the cup final.

If we'd won the cup final and then sacked him you know those fans would have kicked off. The fact it's now unanimous he has to go removes that annoyance at least.
That's exactly the reason INEOS kept him despite some acting like the fan backlash wasn't a factor

If we think Spurs made it ugly, imagine how bad it’ll be against Villa against these ten Hag masterclass tactics. Could be 5-6 for them.

Wishful thinking. If the next man doesn't work out I'll put my house on it that his tenure gets romanticised.