Erik ten Hag | 2024/25 | Votes can now be changed

Erik ten Hag

• Sack

• Back

Results are only viewable after voting.
He should be gone tomorrow. Why bother losing the next two.
Yep, I’ve been saying this for weeks. We know exactly what will happen, it’s so predictable at this point there’s no point in letting it play out. We just going further adrift from our targets and ambitions. Sack him tonight, make Ruud interim until the break and spend the next week or two finding the actual replacement and get it done.

Overwhelming feeling today is of sadness.

Firstly, from kick off, nobody took responsibility on the pitch, constantly giving the ball away and conceding space, was like the whole team had short-circuited. Some of the most abject football i can remember watching. Ignoring tactics for a second, the first half was the biggest abdication of duty I’ve ever witnessed on the pitch. These fundamentals, none negotiable for a professional footballer. Something seems deeply wrong from a mentality perspective.

Secondly, coming on here and reading people calling ten Hag names, or calling other fans for having different opinions. Grow up FFS. We all want the team to do well, it’s possible to to want the manager to be replaced without calling him names - doesn’t really paint you in a great light or reflect the standards you seem to hold others to.

My two cents on the manager - even if we replace him, it seems that whoever comes in still has considerable work to do with the playing staff. It’s more than tactics, more than personnel. One thing to Erik’s credit is that he’s fought against the rot, I just don’t see that battle being won by simply replacing one guy.

Pffft

Yep, I’ve been saying this for weeks. We know exactly what will happen, it’s so predictable at this point there’s no point in letting it play out. We just going further adrift from our targets and ambitions. Sack him tonight, make Ruud interim until the break and spend the next week or two finding the actual replacement and get it done.

Anything other than that would be fecking insane.

I dunno, some clubs go through 5 managers in 3 years, that seems rather short sighted.
Why does it matter how many managers a club goes through if the end result is success? Abramovich used to fire managers at the drop of a hat and it took Chelsea to five league titles and a couple of Champions Leagues. Zero thought was given to sentiment when the likes of Roberto Di Matteo were obviously not good enough, despite him winning one of those Champions League trophies. He was given his hefty compensation package and sent on his way. They've since gone through a laughing stock period of their own, but it didn't last for over a decade and seems to be over already. There are still zero signs of the United laughing stock era ending.

There's nothing virtuous or smart about giving failed managers too long at the helm. Anyone with half a brain could see Ten Hag was out of his depth last season. Yet he's still here, and we have people feigning shock that nothing has changed. Madness.

I was happily thinking that this shambles of an era is finally coming to an end. Then some of you started mentioning Southgate and now I feel sick. I think I had mentally blocked out the fact that he's a thing.
Honestly, if it is Southgate it will only be interim and it won’t be worse. We can get through the season, it won’t be great but we’ll live. At the current rate we’re going down.

Saying there’s nothing wrong with his approach is a cop out. Lots and lots of people have pointed out the very obvious tactical weaknesses with his approach. Feck - opposition managers have literally started pointing it out in interviews after beating us.

This idea that if only the players started playing the system as designed it would magically bring results is a nonsense.

You're referring to Slot, who's Liverpool team had an identical pressing structure in that match, they were just much better at it than we are.

Sure there are a few tweaks we should make, but it isn't an inherently bad system, it's one that the players can't seem to grasp, which is a failure of what they're being trained to do.

It's staggering to think he's spent 600m plus to assemble that squad.
That’s the weird part about this summer. He stayed by the skin of his teeth and instead of preserving some monies for the next actual manager, they let him loose with another big budget. The next manager will inherit a bunch of brand new players he’ll have to keep around for the immediate foreseeable, whether or not they fit his style of play.

Was there some genuine blind faith in him to turn it around?

Is there anyone here that still genuinely believes in Ten Hag?

Not looking to pick an argument, just interested to hear what would make anyone think he is worth sticking with?

Anything other than that would be fecking insane.

I think this would be a very stupid thing to do and if it was up to me we'd have sacked him long ago but I can see that maybe INEOS don't want a new manager or interim to start with Porto and Villa away. So maybe ETH will get them, lose both, then get sacked.

Honestly, if it is Southgate it will only be interim and it won’t be worse. We can get through the season, it won’t be great but we’ll live. At the current rate we’re going down.

Maybe it won't be worse than this, but the thoughts of him anywhere near the club genuinely sicken me. No other remotely serious club would touch him and we know exactly the kind of dog shit football we'll be served up.

ETH simply doesn't understand this league. Or really even the attributes of his players. It was evident from match-day one of his first season that he underestimated the level and his recruitment has been so poor. Signing Antony was a mistake that can almost be forgiven if you ignore the price tag and think of it in simple terms of him wanting to bring familiar talent with him into a new league. A comfort signing. Yet if ETH truly understood the level of competition he was stepping into, it should have been obvious to him that Antony would struggle here.

Then he goes out and signs Amrabat the next summer. Another player that is obviously and visibly unsuited to playing in the Prem. On top of that he shoehorns the poor bastard into LB and exacerbates his every weakness. Like feck off. Injury crisis or no there are a million different options to fix a problem and he always seems to pick the worst one.

Year three. The pieces are in place. No injury excuse. New signings on-top of new signings. And ETH sticks Casemiro on an island against Liverpool. A player that has never been know to be a progressive ball carrier or passer in the middle of the park with a teenager and whatever the feck position Bruno supposedly plays these days. Against one of the best pressing sides in the world. You could see it coming from a mile away but all the blame was put on Case and the performance was written off by a large contingent of the fanbase as "player mistakes."

The manager simply doesn't know what he's doing. No Frenkie, no party.

That’s the weird part about this summer. He stayed by the skin of his teeth and instead of preserving some monies for the next actual manager, they let him loose with another big budget. The next manager will inherit a bunch of brand new players he’ll have to keep around for the immediate foreseeable, whether or not they fit his style of play.

Was there some genuine blind faith in him to turn it around?

Yup, none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

I just feel this is patently untrue. Klopp would have failed here. Good managers have. LvG, Mourinho, they are not bad managers. Theyve won major trophies everywhere they went. They failed here because the set up was wrong after SAF. How can you have learned nothing from ten years plus of failures??

Klopp walked into a team built to compete. They were a few steps away - a top manager away from winning. This wasn't the Gillette Hicks panic buying Andy Carrol on deadline day for 80 million quid Liverpool. He completed it. We're nowhere near that point.
Jose and LVG haven't won major trophies since coming here. Both were past it.

Maybe it won't be worse than this, but the thoughts of him anywhere near the club genuinely sicken me. No other remotely serious club would touch him and we know exactly the kind of dog shit football we'll be served up.
Yup. I’d honestly rather have Moyes again than have Southgate.

You're referring to Slot, who's Liverpool team had an identical pressing structure in that match, they were just much better at it than we are.

Sure there are a few tweaks we should make, but it isn't an inherently bad system, it's one that the players can't seem to grasp, which is a failure of what they're being trained to do.
It’s a bad system. All our goals come from the same movement, the transition. We win the ball, everyone over commits and the opposition know exactly what we’re going to do and win the ball leaving the midfield and defence effectively gone. This happens every match, it’s by design at this point. Ten Hags system relies on the players making the perfect moves and passes in every attack. Suicide football.

Jose and LVG haven't won major trophies since coming here. Both were past it.
I think both points are true, those managers were ‘past it’ or not cut out for the modern game but equally the club’ set up was at fault for their employment along with signings made.

I know, I think we’re all in the same boat but we need this to end at any cost. Plus it will be nice to come in here and moan about someone we all dislike for once

"We've won the FA Cup, let's ignore everything else, he should stay!"

I hope some of you have learned from this.

I think this would be a very stupid thing to do and if it was up to me we'd have sacked him long ago but I can see that maybe INEOS don't want a new manager or interim to start with Porto and Villa away. So maybe ETH will get them, lose both, then get sacked.

I personally think it's worse sticking with this shite. I don't want an interim. Ruud as caretaker and hopefully get someone in over the international break.

You just hope Arteta doesn’t ever come up in discussions regarding him again. It was never even as bad with Arteta as it’s here. I think our performances under ten Hag are the worst under any manager post-Fergie. And he has no intention of changing it, because that’d be admitting he’s wrong.

I like Ten Hag and think hes a good manager but I think today is the day it became clear it's not working here. We've got good players, we can play good football, but we are so quick to fall apart on the pitch. It's Tottenham ffs. We used to laugh at them.

"But we knew it will take some time with how the window went, some players [came] late in like [Manuel] Ugarte. Also we have to make some improvement in organisation and we have some injuries. We need some time."

I
love how he just casually throws those excuses (which are standard things in football). Especially in his third season. Bloody hell.

Haven‘t watched a single minute since the LFC game and won’t come back till he is gone. So sad, he literally kills my joy for the team and many many others feel the same. Hopefully Porto will trash us and put signature on his sacking paper

I suspect it's not quite sacking time yet, but this is clearly in a place where it can't continue long unless there's a dramatic and sustained reversal of results. And it's very hard to see where that's going to come from.

Almost no matter which angle you consider the state of things from, it comes out looking pretty shocking.

- Two games before he was sacked, OGS led United against Spurs, in London. We won that game 3-0. As bad as we were at that point, two games before a sacking that pretty much everyone thought was unavoidable, we beat Spurs 3-0, away. And now?

- Most would agree ahead of the season that the fight for European places is likely to be between eight teams - City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, Chelsea, Newcastle, us. We've played two of those teams, both at home. Both 0-3 losses. With both equivalent fixtures during our record-breakingly bad previous season ending in draws. If there's a ninth team in that group, it's Brighton. We've lost against them too.

- Several of our summer signings (De Ligt, Mazraoui, Zirkzee) has made a positive impact. Several important players actually look improved or have provided more than last season - Amad, Onana, Martinez. Even Rashford have shown some signs of a burgeoning return to form. The only player I can think of who's been clearly worse than last season is Bruno. And yet, the team's results are regressing further, from the already catastrophic starting point of last season. Why?

- And how does EtH talk about this? He talks about the success he's had over the past two seasons, and about how the team is making progress and playing entertaining football. This is the man to rectify the situation?

Because he’ll be pitched to come in as part of the project and move upstairs at the end of the season ala Rangick

And he’ll accept because he knows his limitations and that’ll be a cushty role
Move upstairs where? Rangick was offered that role cause we didn’t have anyone in place. We have entire team of proper C suite people. Why the feck would we add Southgate to that? And how the feck will be help by doing this?

"We've won the FA Cup, let's ignore everything else, he should stay!"

I hope some of you have learned from this.
If I've learned anything from this forum, it's that the average football fan doesn't learn anything. The same mistakes, naiveties and false dawns have repeated themselves on an almost annual basis since Ferguson retired. They've even been doubled down on for Ten Hag

"But we knew it will take some time with how the window went, some players [came] late in like [Manuel] Ugarte. Also we have to make some improvement in organisation and we have some injuries. We need some time."

I
love how he just casually throws those excuses (which are standard things in football). Especially in his third season. Bloody hell.

fecking hell he's still blaming injuries??

Who were we missing today? Luke Shaw ?