Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love him but it looks like he's developing the United virus. Believing in players when they've proven that they don't deserve faith. I would have liked to have seen more changes, even if that was just to put a few starting players on edge

What are we looking at here a 10 year fecking rebuild.

ETH is wasting his time at OT if things are this bad.

Expect (self-serving) anonymous leaks at the end of the season from players if we continue to spiral for the remaining few games talking about how Ten Hag started to lose them when constantly playing Wout and shifting other players out of their natural positions: self-interested and hypocritical (given their own form and, in some cases, ability) but, in this case, legitimate critiques nevertheless...

Exactly. There were numerous options that would’ve been better than starting Wout.

Actually, the more I think of it, there are literally 3 or 4 other players who could have gone into that position. Bruno, Eriksen, Sabitzer...you could even have put Martial up top (yuck) and put Rashford or Sancho in there, too.

Really not sure what he was playing at. It completely failed, whatever it was he was trying to do.

Jesus Christ. What do you expect him to say? He's clearly attempting damage control to try and keep De Gea's head in the game. People are absolutely losing their shit.

Or he just wants De Gea to stay? Like he has said all season long while the club actively negotiates his new contact?

This is just the latest Rooney/Jones/Rojo contract. A complete clusterfeck that everyone can see, expect the club and the manager. Frankly De Gea shouldn’t have even been given his last contact, never mind another one five years later. This club just can’t let go. I thought ETH was going to be ruthless. Clearly not.

He’s human and not exempt from criticism. He is hampered by Martinez and Varane out, not just the defence work, but their distribution of the ball and setting a tempo from deep.

Still though, the total lack of ideas up front all of a sudden is not getting worked on, too many long balls, too many forced passes in behind, now the low block is an easy way the defuse us again. It’s far too easy and should have been addressed over the last few games, but it isn’t. That is deserved criticism, losing control of top 4 and no back into a dogfight is lack of game management, over relying on the same handful of players - injuries, tiredness and form will crucify you.

Let’s all remember that we’ve played more games than every other club in Europe this season with a squad that was not equipped to.

We’ve massively overachieved getting to two cup finals and being in fourth place with four games to go.

Let’s not let hysteria about the last two performances cloud what has been a great first season for ETH. Im sure he has learnt lots about English football and his own team this season too which will stand him in good stead for next season!

Jesus Christ. What do you expect him to say? He's clearly attempting damage control to try and keep De Gea's head in the game. People are absolutely losing their shit.

We're negotiating a new contract with the guy already.

Let’s all remember that we’ve played more games than every other club in Europe this season with a squad that was not equipped to.

We’ve massively overachieved getting to two cup finals and being in fourth place with four games to go.

Let’s not let hysteria about the last two performances cloud what has been a great first season for ETH. Im sure he has learnt lots about English football and his own team this season too which will stand him in good stead for next season!
How did you know this but the manager didn't?

He spent £230m on new players in the summer on a squad already worth well over £500m and we've overachieved? Okay...

Maybe it would have been a good idea not to play our first 11 in all four competitions then?

This is nonsense. We are 4th because Liverpool Chelsea and Spurs have imploded.

49 goals in 34 PL games shouldn't get you into the top 4 ever.

Come on Erik. Get this lot performing over the next few games, we need a big turnaround now.

Or he just wants De Gea to stay? Like he has said all season long while the club actively negotiates his new contact?

This is just the latest Rooney/Jones/Rojo contract. A complete clusterfeck that everyone can see, expect the club and the manager. Frankly De Gea shouldn’t have even been given his last contact, never mind another one five years later. This club just can’t let go. I thought ETH was going to be ruthless. Clearly not.
I agree that De Gea's last contract was a stupid mistake. I also agree that keeping him around as an undisputed starter next season would be a mistake. I'm preferring to assume that De Gea will be kept on to aid the transition (and provide competition) but that we'll still bring in a new goalkeeper in the summer.

They say his philosophy is to have us play Total Footabll Crujff style, but all I see us playing is TotalBottleBall football. I wonder what his team talk is like at half time, because we always come out second half looking even more pedestrian and despondant.

Fans think Ten Hag has ran out of ideas. I disagree. There's still many things he can do with Weghorst.

Clueless. We have 3 CAMs and he uses Wout. fecking hell. Just beat Aston Villa with Casemiro, Sabitzer, Eriksen and Bruno. Could have even used Fred as one of them.

And then we start a new starting 11 against Brighton and a new one against West Ham. All of them with the same fecking problem. No fight or no passing.

Can he just fecking start a team with both the ability to fight and to pass.

There's nothing "overachieved" this season. We're fighting to get 4th ahead of Liverpool in their worst season in 7 years. We got piss easy runs in both cups with no top 4 team faced until the final in both competitions, and we got KOed in QF in Europe League by a humiliating loss against Sevilla. We also lost 6 and 7 to our biggest rivals this year.

That's like the bare minimum of Manchester United.

Get some standards.
:lol:

He needs to find something from the players that a normal manager wouldnt be able to find now, will find out alot about him in the next month.

How did you know this but the manager didn't?

He spent £230m on new players in the summer on a squad already worth well over £500m and we've overachieved? Okay...
You clearly have forgotten how poor we were last season

If he keeps De Gea as Number 1, and De Gea fecks up again next season to cost us cups or top 4, then ten Hag deserves the sack. Sorry but not sorry. He better have one hell of a special training plan for our David over the summer.

I haven't got any more patience for managers who constantly get attached to crap players. Do they use voodoo or something?

Last edited:
This is the beginning of the end.

United have broken another manager.
Yep. For all ETH faults he wouldn't be struggling at this stage if we got him a half decent striker in Jan or had the bottle to dump Ronaldo last summer.

I don't want to overreact, but if he really wants to keep DDG then sack him immediately.

One of the first things Pep did at City was to feck off Joe Hart, despite him being a fan favorite. And when his replacement Bravo didn't work out he immediately fecked him off as well.

Maybe it would have been a good idea not to play our first 11 in all four competitions then?

We all thought that until we saw what happens when he plays the squad players.

He's stuck with a thin squad and some glaring holes. I think he has done very well but i knew all along we would struggle at the end of the season.

Lads, it doesn't matter if Fergie was managing this side. They aren't winners. They couldn't win with Jose. They couldn't win with Ole. And they have won a tinpot cup with Erik. The club is a mess. Erik is top class but if his best options off the bench are Fred and Martial we aren't going to win much. We have seen the side is drastically struggling with their buildup play without Martinez and they're leggy on top of it. This is going to be a tough finish. It doesn't mean ETH isn't the man.

You never know he might be better then DDG and also better then him playing out :lol:

I'm still waiting for the big reveal. A huge twist. Like Wout is ETH's son or is the godfather to his eldest son or something, or he's been blackmailing Erik's family this whole time. It's the only explanation.

He’s human and not exempt from criticism. He is hampered by Martinez and Varane out, not just the defence work, but their distribution of the ball and setting a tempo from deep.

It doesn't help when he parks De Gea to his goal line. Even today West Ham cleared the ball deep and Fred retrieved it while bringing Lindelof with him as a support man. De Gea was nowhere didn't even make it into the camera shot. Those extra 2 or 3 seconds that Fred was retreating to get the ball back allowed West Ham to move up and get back into position. Had De Gea just come up further and played a simple forward pass to Fred we could've moved the ball quicker and not allowed West Ham to regain shape or push up. You see Ederson and Allison do this all the time. Even Ramsdale comes out and helps distribute the ball further up the pitch.

It's simple stuff like that why our build up play takes so much effort and energy to string passes together. Ten Hag really needs to find a way to maintain high tempo and keep us high up the pitch.

Ten Hag won't last next season

Also, we're surely skint if so.

We have no choice. Goalkeepers are notoriously difficult to replace, we buy a dud and we are totally fecked if De Gea has gone. We have no credible backup keeper anymore so we need him to stay until a new keeper is settled in.

I thought EtH would be ruthless, I maybe wrong....
What does everyone expect him to say? Nah, Dave's turned to shit, we're not renewing his contract and will bring in someone new this summer. This is not the point in our season where the manager needs to call out our first choice keeper. I expect that from Jose but ETH clearly has more class. Besides, we may have to keep DDG out of necessity due to funds, sale of club, and needing to bring in players in so many other positions. It's not ideal but DDG/Henderson might have to get us through next season.

The Glazers need to stop fecking around, take their billions, and feck off so the new owners whoever they may be can hit the ground running.

We all thought that until we saw what happens when he plays the squad players.

He's stuck with a thin squad and some glaring holes. I think he has done very well but i knew all along we would struggle at the end of the season.

The thing is though, the europa league is a second tier completion, and the domestic cups shouldn't be prioritised over the league.

The alternative to this is publicly throwing the players under the bus, which doesn't really turn out well for us if recent Rangnick related history is anything to go by.

Personally I don't care if he's saying this to the press as long as he gets a good week if training in with the team - problem our first full week for months.

Yep, there's still something to salvage with the games left, especially at home. We can still do this.

Hopefully the fans can really back them and push them on as a group.

Status
Not open for further replies.