Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this conspiracy theory:

What if ETH is tanking our season on purpose so that the Glazers sell up faster?

Think about it: if we miss out on top4, that is going to have huge impact on our overall evaluation and share prices. Those greedy leeches seeing as to how things are going might panic and just sell up, before both parties pull off their bids from the table due to the fact that the club is being "overvalued"

We've seen ETH being very antsy and impatient with the who ownership thing. I imagine he knows that with the new owners he is going to get more money to build his team.

Also some of his decisions have been baffling compared to the start of the season where he was super flexible. Now it's exactly the opposite: intentionally persisting with under performing players and not trying anything new...

A more logical thing might be the pressure and the fact that we are out of steam, but I preffer to think that there is a a bit more depth to our current collapse.

Ronaldo was still part of his plans until he committed arson and burnt every last bridge. People forget that after handling the Ronaldo situation well, he fecked it by repeatedly playing Ronaldo for 90 minutes, handed him the captain’s armband to boot, and then had Ronaldo embarrass him and the entire club with that interview. It was Ronaldo who dumped us.
The only person Ronaldo embarrassed was himself. Surely that's not up for debate?

This club shouldn't be buying cheaper options to afford a ST. Penny pinching? We have the money to buy who we need. You know this
Antony isn't good enough to play for a top 4 team anyway. He has been an absolute flop. We could easily have bought someone better than him for half the price and got a half way competent centre forward

Antony isn't good enough to play for a top 4 team anyway. He has been an absolute flop. We could easily have bought someone better than him for half the price and got a half way competent centre forward

Thank you for saying what some in this thread are clearly afraid to say about him

Didn't ten Hag also say Ronaldo was a big part of his plans before getting binned? We are at the end of the season and this new contract still hasn't been signed. I'm choosing to assume that even if De Gea does renew (for one year on massively reduced wages), he will be kept on to aid the transition (and provide competition) but that we'll still bring in a new goalkeeper in the summer.

Offering him a new contract means we want him to stay.

What you are assuming is just wishful thinking and ultimately based on nothing.

Some just want to to convince themselves he's lying all the time in public so that they don't pull out their hair. The reality is in this exact scenario he's telling the truth because we are already negotiating a new contract with him and if it's for high wages (as expected) then it will be ridiculous to pay him a large sum of money just for a transitional season.

The board won't agree to pay him a lot of money unless the manager told them he's planning to use him as a main player next year. It's all about business to them.

It doesn't help when he parks De Gea to his goal line. Even today West Ham cleared the ball deep and Fred retrieved it while bringing Lindelof with him as a support man. De Gea was nowhere didn't even make it into the camera shot. Those extra 2 or 3 seconds that Fred was retreating to get the ball back allowed West Ham to move up and get back into position. Had De Gea just come up further and played a simple forward pass to Fred we could've moved the ball quicker and not allowed West Ham to regain shape or push up. You see Ederson and Allison do this all the time. Even Ramsdale comes out and helps distribute the ball further up the pitch.

It's simple stuff like that why our build up play takes so much effort and energy to string passes together. Ten Hag really needs to find a way to maintain high tempo and keep us high up the pitch.

De Gea is the one rooted to his line, it isn’t an instruction, he’s done this all his career. Awful distribution, slow off his line, not commanding the box.

That isn’t on Erik, De Gea is just petrified of coming off his line, always has.

There's nothing "overachieved" this season. We're fighting to get 4th ahead of Liverpool in their worst season in 7 years. We got piss easy runs in both cups with no top 4 team faced until the final in both competitions, and we got KOed in QF in Europe League by a humiliating loss against Sevilla. We also lost 6 and 7 to our biggest rivals this year.

That's like the bare minimum of Manchester United.

Get some standards.

I've seen people quoting this post with laughing emojis, but everything @el3mel said is true.

Worth adding that Sevilla is the 11th placed team in La Liga, as well

Offering him a new contract means we want him to stay.

What you are assuming is just wishful thinking and ultimately based on nothing.

Some just want to to convince themselves he's lying all the time in public so that they don't pull out their hair. The reality is in this exact scenario he's telling the truth because we are already negotiating a new contract with him and if it's for high wages (as expected) then it will be ridiculous to pay him a large sum of money just for a transitional season.

The board won't agree to pay him a lot of money unless the manager told them he's planning to use him as a main player next year. It's all about business to them.
We are all assuming - nobody apart from ten Hag has any idea what De Gea's role will or won't be next season. If he renews and stays on as number 2 I'd be more than fine with that. If he stays and remains undisputed number 1 I'd have a problem with that. I'm not going to get upset about things that haven't happened yet.

De Gea is the one rooted to his line, it isn’t an instruction, he’s done this all his career. Awful distribution, slow off his line, not commanding the box.

That isn’t on Erik, De Gea is just petrified of coming off his line, always has.

Yeah look at the one tonight he was virtually cowering under pressure from Antonio

Blaming Ten Hag for De Gea playing like De Gea always has is bonkers. The bloke has always been a timid little rabbit who gets routinely embarrassed whenever the ball is swung in towards him.

We are all assuming - nobody apart from ten Hag has any idea what De Gea's role will or won't be next season. If he renews and stays on as number 2 I'd be more than fine with that. If he stays and remains undisputed number 1 I'd have a problem with that. I'm not going to get upset about things that haven't happened yet.

He won't stay to be number 2 that's for sure

I've seen enough of him to say I think he's a bang average manager. I mean sure, average is better than a past-it Mourinho or Van Gaal, or a never-has-been in Moyes, Rangnick or Solskjaer, but I don't think he has the capacity to take us to where we need to be and that is challenging for the title or the Champions League.

I've seen enough of him to say I think he's a bang average manager. I mean average is better than a past-it Mourinho or Van Gaal, or a never-has-been in Moyes, Rangnick or Solskjaer, but I don't think he has the capacity to take us to where we need to be and that is challenging for the title or the Champions League.

What do you think of Arteta?

I've seen enough of him to say I think he's a bang average manager. I mean average is better than a past-it Mourinho or Van Gaal, or a never-has-been in Moyes, Rangnick or Solskjaer but I don't think he'll take us to where we need to be.

I will reserve judgement until he has his squad which this isn't yet,however away form is really starting to cause serious concern

Quite hilarious how some here were confident of the 3 points against West Ham and others confident we'll secure top 4 despite Liverpool being but a point away from us.

We were far from convincing in our last win where we scraped a 1-0 win against Villa. A match where they were at times criminally handed so much space and time on the ball that it seemed an equalizer was coming. That and we have a donkey up front and we expect it to score goals. I'll take a half crocked Martial. He may may be a tad lazy but at least he'd put a chance away in dangerous areas if given the opportunity.

We are not making top 4 unless we get very lucky with other results. The way we're playing at the moment doesn't instill any confidence we'll secure a champions league spot.
We've been playing well at home and terrible away. I think we will scrape top 4.

I've seen enough of him to say I think he's a bang average manager. I mean sure, average is better than a past-it Mourinho or Van Gaal, or a never-has-been in Moyes, Rangnick or Solskjaer, but I don't think he has the capacity to take us to where we need to be and that is challenging for the title or the Champions League.
Which manager do you think can do that?

Why would you want a number 2 goalkeeper who would look more of a liability than Dubravka did for his one game this season?

De Gea should never play for Manchester United again.

Why would you want a number 2 goalkeeper who would look more of a liability than Dubravka did for his one game this season?

De Gea should never play for Manchester United again.
Ahh come on. I'm not going to argue the toss about our number 2 keeper.

De Gea won't agree to be number 2 option or stay on the bench, nor will the club agree to pay him a large sum of money to be a rotational option.

I think this is the worst we’ve played since LVG. Doesn’t say much for his credentials, but we were doing a lot better a couple of months ago and have run out of steam.

When we were going well though I didn’t see much difference in our actual overall performances than with Ole.

He’s got it all to prove. Starting with getting top 4 which should have been sewn up fecking ages ago.

De Gea won't agree to be number 2 option or stay on the bench, nor will the club agree to pay him a large sum of money to be a rotational option.
I don't agree. We already agreed to pay Henderson a large sum of money to be a rotational option.

I think people are forgetting how comfortable we did look at one point and how good our football was, yes it feels like years ago now, but it was way better than the whatever sort of football you want to call it we played under Ole.

I think people are forgetting how comfortable we did look at one point and how good our football was, yes it feels like years ago now, but it was way better than the whatever sort of football you want to call it we played under Ole.
We peaked in February and played some good stuff. But since league cup final our boys have been on vacation it seems. We look toothless now. Unfortunately this doesn't give a good look to ETH. He has to make sure we finish in top 4.

I think this is the worst we’ve played since LVG. Doesn’t say much for his credentials, but we were doing a lot better a couple of months ago and have run out of steam.

When we were going well though I didn’t see much difference in our actual overall performances than with Ole.

He’s got it all to prove. Starting with getting top 4 which should have been sewn up fecking ages ago.
I thought we were ok against Brighton until the last 20 minutes. We just seem tired tonight.

I thought we were ok against Brighton until the last 20 minutes. We just seem tired tonight.
I’m sorry but that is bollocks.
Tonight we “controlled” the game by popping 3 yard passes to one another for 20 mins and having a few half chances but never really threatening. Once de gea threw one in we were all over the shop. Had a few chances but so did West Ham.
For all the “great” players we have there someone tell me how come we are so shit? Being tired is a fecking excuse.

That DdG calamity had feck all to do with rest. Luke Shaw playing volleyball in the 90+ didn’t either.

They better pray we win by 3 next week if this excuse is to fly.

We saw all of this a couple of years ago. Everton, Cardiff, Leicester... It gets towards the end of the season and we just go into freefall mode. To be fair the lads in their heads are probably already on their summer hols.

We saw all of this a couple of years ago. Everton, Cardiff, Leicester... It gets towards the end of the season and we just go into freefall mode. To be fair the lads in their heads are probably already on their summer hols.

If they get CL football then they will get a 25% pay rise. Surely that’s incentive enough to give 100% for another 4 games?

Keep on blaming the players all you want. It's the way Ten Hag is setting up the team that's killing us, we're better than this.
Next season we should bring in the right personnel to play the right system, one that can keep the ball. And that includes the coaches/manager.

Some of the stuff on here tonight is embarrassing. A month of not playing well after a horrible set of injuries/suspensions, half of which we still have, and you’re losing your minds.

Creating chances and controlling games may be an issue but finishing and fecks ups are the big problem at the moment, which isn’t ETHs fault. We’ll see how he addresses it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.