Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
No discussion on how Slot got Liverpool playing well in pre-season vs EtH 3 years

Shame. UpsetCAF not pulling through
You’re praising the Liverpool manager for his preseason yet you’re probably happy to downplay our 22/23 season. What an odd stance for a Manchester United supporter.

This thread, during the game and right after, had non stop negative posts about the game and our manager, where certain posters are spilling their sewage relentlessly.

Many of them adore Pep. Pep is a cheating cnut and is regularly outcoached by our Hag.

Others are convinced the only way to play is to hog the ball like Cheaty. It doesn’t suit us and it can be boring as feck.

A bunch are moaning depressed individuals who spill their frustrations and unhappiness online. I don‘t want to see it, stay away from our club if you don‘t like it. You don‘t support MU, it is a whining outlet for you.

Some of them just hate 10Hag. It gets weird and personal.

I‘m not attacking anyone who posts well reasoned criticisms, there is still plenty to improve and discuss. I‘m just fed up with these relentless cnuts who do not reflect our fanbase at all.

@Sarni Stop wumming it is fecking tiresome.

This statement is objectively false. Even though we started badly, it's quite clearly a different system.

Again, the adult thing to do here is to put your hands up and admit you got a bit silly with that post, but what you wanted to say was that you were disappointed with how we started, as most of us were.

Err no, it's not false.

We still started poorly like we did most of last season. We still had times where the midfield was wide open and the CMs were caught up the field like last season. We still looked shaky and disjointed just like last season. This was all in the first 15-20 mins and then we clicked into gear for the rest of the 1st half.

You were wrong that I moved the goalposts. You were wrong that I made my original post at half time and you are again wrong that we looked different in the first 15-20 mins.

You may have convinced yourself that the first 15-20 minutes was clearly a different system, and that's ok, but dont expect others to agree.

This discussion is going round in circles, and we won't agree anyway, so let's re-assess after the first month or so.

Last edited:
Err no, it's not false.

We still started poorly like we did most of last season. We still had times where the midfield was wide open and the CMs were caught up the field like last season. We still looked shaky and disjointed just like last season. This was all in the first 15-20 mins and then we clicked into gear for the rest of the 1st half.

You were wrong that I moved the goalposts. You were wrong that I made my original post at half time and you are again wrong that we looked different in the first 15-20 mins.

You may have convinced yourself that the first 15-20 minutes was clearly a different system, and that's ok, but dont expect others to agree.
Objectively wrong. We play a different system to last year. We also looked completely different to last year in effort. Night and day difference.

This thread, during the game and right after, had non stop negative posts about the game and our manager, where certain posters are spilling their sewage relentlessly.

Many of them adore Pep. Pep is a cheating cnut and is regularly outcoached by our Hag.

Others are convinced the only way to play is to hog the ball like Cheaty. It doesn’t suit us and it can be boring as feck.

A bunch are moaning depressed individuals who spill their frustrations and unhappiness online. I don‘t want to see it, stay away from our club if you don‘t like it. You don‘t support MU, it is a whining outlet for you.

I‘m not attacking anyone who posts well reasoned criticisms, there is still plenty to improve and discuss. I‘m just fed up with these relentless cnuts who do not reflect our fanbase at all.

I’m not. I was defending him during the game and praising him after the game. I cannot be positive about him anymore because everyone thinks I’m on a wind up. No need to target me for everything I say in this thread.

I disagree with ten Hag regularly outcoaching Pep though.

Last edited:
Objectively wrong. We play a different system to last year. We also looked completely different to last year in effort. Night and day difference.

Yet, we still had periods of chaos football with the midfield open and no consistent control throughout the game. So much for a 'different system'. The first 15 mins or so was especially poor.

Also, nobody is arguing about effort so that's pointless to bring up. I suspect this discussion will also go round in circles, so let's re-assess after the first month or so.

Last edited:
We'll be better than yesterday. First game of the season - it can either be fantastic, nervy or a shitshow. It was nervy.

Agreed, too many posters are just showing their agenda rather than posting honestly.

I’ll look at this as the lowest possible point for us in terms of fitness, integration of personnel/chemistry, non of the strikers available (fully), and a short preseason (most of the first team didnt have a preseason).

We are bound to get better. I thought the pressing was great yesterday and we turned position quite a few times. An upgrade compared to last season and we saw it against City in the Community Shield final. The last 30 mins should be less common as the season progresses and our midfielders get more fittness +/- new recruitment (hopefully) for midfield. We created alot of chances which I think had Rasmus or Zirkzee started would convert them. Lisandro was clearly not fit and Fulham got a big chance from a mistake of his.

We got the 3 point, now to build on from the performance.

Exciting season ahead.
ETH has shown he can do wonders with competent squad and competent squad he has now, especially if we add one more CM to the mix!

Arguing with another member
Err no, it's not false.

This discussion is going round in circles, and we won't agree anyway, so let's re-assess after the first month or so.

It's clearly a different system, there's absolutely no question about it, it's been talked about a lot in detail on here and in the media, including by the manager himself. Stating that we'd learned nothing and were playing the same suicide tactics is nothing more than a childish tantrum in reaction to our poor start to the match.

Yet, we still had periods of chaos football with the midfield open and no consistent control throughout the game. So much for a 'different system'. The first 15 mins or so was especially poor.

Also, nobody is arguing about effort so that's pointless to bring up. I suspect this discussion will also go round in circles, so let's re-assess after the first month or so.
We created much more threat than Fulham, ‚control‘ is not what counts.

We were outmuscled last season‘s opener. Success begins and continues with effort.

Exciting season ahead.
ETH has shown he can do wonders with competent squad and competent squad he has now, especially if we add one more CM to the mix!
He’s shown nothing yet mate. I’ll get more excited if we beat Brighton next week away. We should be beating Fulham at home quite comfortably.

Glad I'm not the only one bashing my head against this, let's hope that "same suicide tactics" doesn't become the new "no patterns of play"!

Anyone else excited by our tactical system? I think we've got pretty good fundamentals I just think we need to find a way to be less porous in midfield especially after taking the lead.

That said, ETH's Ajax was always defensively porous in the big games I've watched of them (vs Juventus in 2019 and the 2022 Dutch Cup Final against PSV) so I don't expect us to be defensively astute aside from having world class DMs and defenders, and that's okay for now. Just entertain me and score more.

Arguing with another member
It's clearly a different system, there's absolutely no question about it, it's been talked about a lot in detail on here and in the media, including by the manager himself. Stating that we'd learned nothing and were playing the same suicide tactics is nothing more than a childish tantrum in reaction to our poor start to the match.

How is it a different system when the same issues from last season are still evident?

Answer that one rather than continuing to post the same dribble over and over again without any insight.

We were bit better yesterday becaue our defence played well, but our midfiled still allowed Fulham to attackk us easily, may be its down to the high line we play.

I have a feeling Mainoo-Casemiro is not working and we need to address by playing a different system or adding an additional player to the midfield because top teams may punish us if we leave middle of the pitch so wide open.

We created much more threat than Fulham, ‚control‘ is not what counts.

We were outmuscled last season‘s opener. Success begins and continues with effort.

It is obviously a positive that we created more than them and I said previously, that our pressing was more effective and our defending was very strong.

However, a better team would have likely made us pay if they had the amount of control in midfield for periods that Fulham had. That is a concern and that is something that we can hopefully improve on going forward.

You seem to know alot about ETH's game style, is that something we can expect when it all clicks?

So we didn't have our midfield aggressively press up and leave no midfield cover behind them?

The system was slightly different because of no striker meaning Mount starts but it didn't look fundamentally different. We just had a numerical advantage on the press.

It simply relies massively on teams not being able to beat the initial press but once they do as premier league teams will, we're very exposed. Be good to be proved wrong but I don't see us getting enough wins like that to progress beyond fringes of top four. Maybe if we change to a 352 or something.

However, a better team would have likely made us pay if they had the amount of control in midfield for periods that Fulham had.

The fact is when you play these minnow clubs with shite attacking players you can press up the pitch and give up a few counters knowing that they usually feck them up. That's the strategy every Goliath club takes against David clubs. The difference today is that United failed to finish 2-3 excellent chances that should have been goals.

How is it a different system when the same issues from last season are still evident?

Answer that one rather than continuing to post the same dribble over and over again without any insight.

The same issues from last season aren't present, at least not to the same degree. Last season we were much more open, once opposition teams broke the first press they were free to saunter through the middle of the pitch and we'd concede huge numbers of shots.

Even when we were poor last night we were more secure, our press wasn't nearly as vulnerable as last season, and the only real break they had was from out wide, and even that's only because Traore is ridiculously quick and running past multiple players rather than us being particularly open.

So we didn't have our midfield aggressively press up and leave no midfield cover behind them?

The system was slightly different because of no striker meaning Mount starts but it didn't look fundamentally different. We just had a numerical advantage on the press.

It simply relies massively on teams not being able to beat the initial press but once they do as premier league teams will, we're very exposed. Be good to be proved wrong but I don't see us getting enough wins like that to progress beyond fringes of top four. Maybe if we change to a 352 or something.

No we didn't, one of the key differences is that if the opposition beat the first press, we aren't so vulnerable. With any system if you lose enough duels you'll be left open, but last season we were exposed time and again by a losing a single one.

It is obviously a positive that we created more than them and I said previously, that our pressing was more effective and our defending was very strong.

However, a better team would have likely made us pay if they had the amount of control in midfield for periods that Fulham had. That is a concern and that is something that we can hopefully improve on going forward.

You seem to know alot about ETH's game style, is that something we can expect when it all clicks?
I think it is more about avoiding getting caught out needlessly than about control.
Playing a high press means that you sometimes get caught out, when the opponent beats the press or you lose a duel.

We need to avoid those situations where the opponent can counter us with superior numbers, after we give the ball away. That happened a few times and those were the most dangerous moments from Fulham.

Funny, I watched the game and it was far from comfortable. I‘m calling out your agenda. Arsenal created less than we did against Fulham.
How did they? They had 18 attempts 6 on target to our 14 attempts 5 on target. Plus they had an extra goal. I’d say that’s quite comfortable.

How did they? They had 18 attempts 6 on target to our 14 attempts 5 on target. Plus they had an extra goal. I’d say that’s quite comfortable.
Arsenal didn’t really have any great chances before they scored, and Wolves looked threatening in the second half. It was definitely an underwhelming performance from Arsenal against a team considerably worse than Fulham.

Brighton will be an even tougher test, they looked very good today. If ETH can beat them we may be on a very good path.

Status
Not open for further replies.