Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

The alternative to this is publicly throwing the players under the bus, which doesn't really turn out well for us if recent Rangnick related history is anything to go by.

Personally I don't care if he's saying this to the press as long as he gets a good week if training in with the team - problem our first full week for months.

“I can't blame my team, they put all their effort in.”

They put all their effort in and produced that. So according to Ten Hag, this is him confirming this is the best they can do at full effort.
Yeah, I hope this (this group has hit its ceiling; 1st team needs refresh/upgrade in few key areas) is the subtext...

Just play Bruno centrally with Casemiro and Eriksen behind him for the rest of the matches please

Still behind you 100% x

Honestly I think you United fans should keep the faith with De Gea. When you hate on him for his errors you're forgetting the many many more times he's bailed your team out with phenomenal saves. He's an absolutely brilliant keeper and a loyal servant. Goal keeping errors is not the reason for United's somewhat lame current position. You need to be looking at other areas such as proper strikers (you haven't got one!) etc.

Yeah, I hope this (this group has hit its ceiling; 1st team needs refresh/upgrade in few key areas) is the subtext...

That's exactly what I though tbh. Almost as if he is thinking out loud. Rocking in the corner of a dark room. "This is all our effort...I don't blame the team...this is all our effort...they tried their best...god help me new owners"

Ten Hag won't last next season

Also, we're surely skint if so.

I don't think he's going to say "actually, he's a bit rubbish" with 4 important games, a cup final and no good second choice keeper going forward.

My hope is that the club want De Gea to stay on a much reduced salary and as a back up keeper. My fear is that there are so many issues in the squad the club just don't want to spend more money on a new keeper next season which could be a mistake.

It is delusion of highest order to say that. Ancelotti and Zidane are several levels ahead of him, Luis Enrique is far more established too. Nagelsman and Pochettino are easily the same level as him.

In 12 months he’ll finally manage to finish 4 and you’ll praise him for doing another miracle.
The guy was an Ole fanboy by his own admission. Don't bother, we've been here before.

I think Erik has to take the flak right now as he just isn't willing to try anything different.

Every game he changed a couple of players but we still go out and play the exact same way, same set up, same tactics. We are as predictable as Antony.

We know a lot of our players are not good enough and we have had injuries and a lot of games so that's not on Erik well mostly anyway.

However he has to try and make something happen with what he has and it's not looking like he can right now.

You look at him on the touchline and it's like he doesn't know what he can do to get a result right now so he is doing nothing

Honestly I really want to support ETH but if he cannot see the writing on the wall then it’s a death knell for him unfortunately and he’s unlikely to go beyond next season. He won’t be able to implement the style of play he wants
He’s hardly going to come out and say we want him to feck off at this stage.

we are still on track to finish in the top 4

We're not. We're on track to squander it. We've fallen off the track and derailed in a massive way.

Liverpool with 6 wins on the bounce are on track if anything.

Ten Hag won't last next season

Also, we're surely skint if so.

I think there's a difference between what you say in public versus what is said in private.

ETH isn't going to come out and tell the press right now that De Gea is off. What if the budget we get in the summer is smaller than expected and we have to keep hold of De Gea because we can't get a keeper and, say, a striker? It just doesn't really make sense to come out and say something terribly negative and definitive about a player like that. ETH is just wearing his public face. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if we replace De Gea in the summer, even after these comments.

Who do you want in goal instead of DDG? Butland or Heaton?

I don't give a monkeys which one it is, use Vitek for all I care. It is the message that poor performances won't be tolerated that is more important. Right now his bad performances have no recourse whatsoever.

I’m so disappointed in the football we’re playing. Blame the players all you want but I’m watching the game, you’ve got weghorst playing in the middle at 10? Bruno thrown out on the left, there’s no idea of how we play. Long balls over the top to rashford too often or all just stood around the box with no idea what to do when we do get some postional possession, it just looks a mess and can’t be blamed on fatigue, even though we are also clearly fecking drained from playing full team and trying to go for every trophy without the squad for it.

I’m desperate for him to be a success but he’s not making it easy, a few easy cup runs does not change that. There’s no way I can agree that he’s over achieved, we had a good few months when rashford was on fire and that’s about it. Just hope we get enough points for top four now.

He’s hardly going to come out and say we want him to feck off at this stage.
He also doesnt need to appear absolutely desperate to keep him either, which he has for a while now long before today

I don't think he's going to say "actually, he's a bit rubbish" with 4 important games, a cup final and no good second choice keeper going forward.

My hope is that the club want De Gea to stay on a much reduced salary and as a back up keeper. My fear is that there are so many issues in the squad the club just don't want to spend more money on a new keeper next season which could be a mistake.
Or maybe, just maybe, ten Hag actually does like this player and he isn’t quite the messiah we all think?

I thought EtH would be ruthless, I maybe wrong....

The clue about his "ruthless streak" is by allowing Harry Maguire to remain official captain yet he clearly does't rate him enough for our starting eleven. I mean WTF?

ETH should grow a pair and announced months ago that he was changing captain.

Got it wrong today with WW.

If you are going to shift Bruno wide to include someone else behind Rashford, it should be Sabitzer at the very worst.

WW was a necessity a little while back, but now we have players available again, even at 50-60% of their ability/potential, we have to use them ahead of him.

I really hope his comments are just to try and keep a bit of spirit and confidence in the players to get us over the line. No point throwing them under the bus and having their confidence completely shot but we have to be ruthless in the summer, we can’t afford not to. The problem is can we afford to do what’s required with FFP hanging over us? He’s stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Strange decision to play weghorst who has been truly terrible recently and isn't PL standard let alone United standard. Equally strange decision to not bring Maguire back in for this one. Game would of suited him. Lots of high balls and physicality to get stuck into. Would of really helped us deal with the cross onslaught and set piece massacre aswell.

The less said about De Gea the better. No surprise we are seriously struggling to implement ETH's style of play with him between the nets and then the genuine Howler just when we don't need it, is basically par for the course these days. I said at the start of the season he will regret massively not splashing cash on a new more suitable keeper. Somehow we end up spending on yet another CB, another winger and a top class but old DM.

Top 4 is still in our hands 1 trophy in the bag and FA cup final to look forward too. Little nervous about top 4 but really we should still get it and it would be a big fail if we didn't, if that happens there will be questions.

Got it wrong today with WW.

If you are going to shift Bruno wide to include someone else behind Rashford, it should be Sabitzer at the very worst.

WW was a necessity a little while back, but now we have players available again, even at 50-60% of their ability/potential, we have to use them ahead of him.

Even Eriksen behind Rashford, with Fred and Casemiro in midfield wouldn't have been as bad a move.

Just play Bruno centrally with Casemiro and Eriksen behind him for the rest of the matches please

Still behind you 100% x

I think the next two games are now must win games just so we can get to the last two games now, we are in serious trouble and don’t look like we can score goals, that means we need to go all out attack against wolves which will not be easy, they never are.

We need to play on front foot from minute 1, we need to go all out attack I would play this team, De Gea(reluctantly), D Dalot, Varane if fit or H Maguire, V Lindelof, L Shaw, Casemeiro, Sabitzer, Bruno, Sancho right wing, Martial, Rashford Martial showed something he needs a goal and then he’ll get a few;

Bench; J Butland, AWB, T Malacia, R Varane, Fred, Ericsen,Antony, Weghorst, Garnaucho, Pellistri needs a shout too probably drop Weghorst out the squad

Right now Sancho offers more than Antony he’s creates panic around the opposition box when he has the ball at his feet, Antony is a headless chicken. Weghorst is a pub player and ETH will lose his job if he continues picking them, we are behind you ETH but you must learn from your own mistakes and soon. Four points from next 4 games like the previous 4 games means united finish 6th not 5th, Seven or Eight points from 4 games finish 5th and only nine points or more finishes in top 4

There's no justifying starting Weghorst in any game. No justification in putting him on as a sub either. He offers nothing useful in any department.

Shifting Bruno to the left so you can have a pub team defensive number 10 is insanity. Also half a dozen better options on the bench and in the u21s.

I really hope this is the end of this horrible run of form.
For the first time we have a whole week to rest before the Wolves game - need to bounce back. At the moment Liverpool are grinding dodgy 1-0 wins, we are losing 0-1. We miss way too many chances, players look way too passive and slow.

Here is what I see:

- ETH makes a huge mistake in playing Weghorst and not trusting Pellistri. I think this is somewhat related to the ownership or contracts, I have no clue really. But something is rotten behind the scenes. LVG, Mourinho, Ole, ETH all fall victims to a very similar pattern.

- Eriksen has been terrible since getting back from injury and Casemiro has been shocking since the end of his suspension too.

- Bruno and Rashford look like the always look when they get overplayed - like they are done with football.

- Martial needs to fecking GO. Right now. No excuses for his pathetic United career. This guy is fragile both physically and mentally. Absolutely garbage.

- I trust Antony more than Sancho. Sancho looks like a Grealish case, but we don't have the luxury of having a team of world class players while waiting for our precious english talent to actually give a feck.

- Lack of Varane and Lisandro hurts us MASSIVELY. They are key to early interceptions, passes between the lines and in general moving the ball quickly. We are handicapped without good ball playing CB's - this makes DDG being shit with his feet even more obvious.

Does Ten Hag show worrying signs? Sure. He refuses to make decisions that look obvious on paper. Like moving Rashford to CF and playing Pellistri on the wing when thins go wrong. He has been dealt a horrible hand this spring and he is not finding a way out of it.

We need to fight for top 4. And we need MASSIVE performance in the FA cup final. I have a good feeling about this game by the way. But let's see...

Let me tell you something else. And I'm going to put it in big bold capital text. IF GLAZERS REMAIN CLUB OWNERS, EVEN IF THEY SACK ETH RIGHT NOW AND HIRE NAGELSMANN, EXACTLY 8-9 MONTHS FROM NOW, THE NAGELSMANN THREAD WILL BE FULL OF "SACK HIM" COMMENTS. ALL THE MANAGERS SINCE SAF MADE MISTAKES. BUT THE STATE OF MANCHESTER UNITED IS NOT ON THE MANAGERS. THE ROT HAS BEEN THERE EVEN IN THE LAST FERGIE YEARS. PLEASE ALWAYS CONSIDER THAT.

Sorry and thanks.
Thank you.
The state of some of our fanbase.
I want to add that Wout came here because we didn't have money to get a decent striker and this club has thought bringing in over the top strikers would cut it for the past decade. He didn't buy Sancho, Martial or any of these plonkers. I also want to add that Garnacho is a youth player who just came back from injury this was not the game to bring him back. Our old faithful players like Shaw and DDG have been at fault lately and also captain catastrophe who he didn't bring in. Let's give the guy a fecking break and enjoy the ride. Utd has not fallen apart because of ETH it was already in rubbles when he arrived.

Most over hyped manager ever. Weghorst as number 10 :lol: At Ajax we had the same problem with eth with him playing Promes and Labyad as 10, both disgraceful to be number 10. He even played Labyad as main striker.

Very very stubborn tunnel vision manager. Prefers to play his buddies at al costs. Most at ajax where happy he was gone. He even played Sebastian Haller as a winger for quite a few matches in his last season :lol: Haller is slow as hell and lacks creativity and dribbling skills
How's things going since he left you? Walking the league playing total football I presume?

I've never heard this negative perspective from Ajax fans before? Was that actually a widespread feeling or just a minority?

These sort of views were given by Ajax fans in the 'next manager' thread we had. Obviously many were convinced of Erik and it fell completely on deaf ears at the time.

Arteta was shit for two years

As somebody that said throughout that I could see what Arteta was trying to do and thought he was making the right moves, even when Arsenal fans were losing their shit, I don't think they're even comparable for me.

With Arteta I could see a clear gameplan, one that is utilised by the best teams around. Energy, possession, good interplay and creativity. His issue was that he had a true clear out of deadwood and poor characters, relying on youth. Something I said many times on here that I wished we'd do the same but knew we wouldn't because of the short term pain that we wouldn't be willing to take.

As somebody that could see Arteta playing good football, I'll say right now that I don't see this at all with ETH. With what is a considerably better team than what Arteta had at the time.

He's shown enough that he should be in charge next season, even in the event that we lose top 4. It took Arteta a few years to get Arsenal into a proper outfit.

See above. I'm sick of these comparisons to Fergie's first years and other managers. Judge him based on what you see rather than these fantasy hypotheticals.

I'm perplexed, I have lost all confidence in him but part of me is telling me that's it's a bit too early for that

I'm the same. I know he can't hang with the best. But it feels almost courtesy to give him more time to fail.

Most over hyped manager ever. Weghorst as number 10 :lol: At Ajax we had the same problem with eth with him playing Promes and Labyad as 10, both disgraceful to be number 10. He even played Labyad as main striker.

Very very stubborn tunnel vision manager. Prefers to play his buddies at al costs. Most at ajax where happy he was gone. He even played Sebastian Haller as a winger for quite a few matches in his last season :lol: Haller is slow as hell and lacks creativity and dribbling skills

Christ, that's all worrying. Didn't know that about Haller.

There's a fine line as a manager between being an idiot and being a genius. Pep makes weird choices that just work. He's got the eye for it. Sadly, I don't think ETH does. This sort of stuff doesn't work in the PL.

What are we actually trying to achieve in or out of possession. We don't really press, we aren't a possession based team, we don't counter attack that much. All we seem to at the moment is pass the ball slowly at the back until the opposition is set and then give the ball away when we have to play through the lines

I understand the players are tired but surely we should still see some sort of structure and style?

I've said the same for a while. I just don't see what we are trying to be and it's definitely not a pressing team or a possession team.

Even if I overlook this issue with poor second halves, not being able to score, Wout at no. 10, I just don't think the football is that great. I called Oles tactics opportunistic early doors and said it's unsustainable, and I feel the same here. Trying to catch teams on the break is shit house stuff, as soon as they become wise to it, which teams now have, you're left with nothing. There's 2 ways to exploit this, and we've seen it lots recently. Either press the shit out of us, or leave us with the ball and defend compact. Today West Ham did the latter and we, unsurprisingly, looked absolutely clueless. We pretty much boiled down to crosses and long shots.

Last edited:
Our two best attacking players are Bruno and Rashford. Play them on their best positions ffs. And Wout? You have Bruno and Eriksen as excellent no10s. You have Sabitzer who is a solid no10.
But no, he plays Wout there. Wtf is that?

Too many points are dropped because of his needless experiments.

If that quote is in fact true and he is not just on the spot for an interview then I'm done with him.

This is the beginning of the end.

United have broken another manager.
Jesus Christ. What do you expect him to say? He's clearly attempting damage control to try and keep De Gea's head in the game. People are absolutely losing their shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.