Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fatigue is definitely a factor but it is worrying how every game (or at least every away game) plays out the same way. Ten Hag seems powerless to stop the rot. And while his squad options are not great, there are no circumstances in which starting with Weghorst can be considered the best/least worst option. I didn’t expect top 4 at the start of the season but I did hope we would be on a definite upward trend by the end of the season. Instead we have peaked in February and then regressed to the point of being played off the park by West Ham.

I think there are some very worrying signs for me right now. It’s one thing to be bad in your first season but some of the mistakes he is making are very scary. Like how he did look at West Ham & decide that this was his front 6 for today. Then how did he wait so long to make any changes in midfield. We had no energy & were so flat and he let that go on making no changes . Not good at all
Our whole problem is from DDG. I don’t know how he can solve it. Playing Butland or the youngster? Maybe he has to do it from now on.

A manager that has the players at his disposal he does yet believes WW at no.10 is the best solution is not the guy I thought we were getting.

He’s done some good things this year but he shouldn’t be above scrutiny, we’re in a terrible run of form.

It’s been grim for a while now but today I genuinely can’t tell the difference between this and Ole Ball.
Exactly how I feel too. Similarities are so clear.. But then again, it's still very far from ETH's "team". Only consolation for me.. My god.

Maybe because many of these bottlejobs have been here for ages. How can a manager be blamed for a stupid gk error

Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, Weghorst, Antony all started tonight. All Ten Hag players. Half the team.

I’m not blaming Ten Hag for De Gea’s mistake. I’m blaming Ten Hag for our inability to win a game.

We were sold a myth. He has us playing terrible football. He spent nearly £250m. No one forced him to spend that on shite like Antony.

Yup, he's not as good as I thought he would be. I don't think he has good gasp of this league either. which goes to explain the away form a bit.

I understand wanting to give him time and he should get time and backing if we land top 4, but it's not looking good for him.

Ultimately I want a manager that can mount a challenge against Klopp and Pep and I don't think ETH is that man, as much as upsets me to say.
Honestly, I'm coming around to this idea as well but I'll wait until the end of the season. Getting absolutely pummeled by our biggest rivals every time we play them away really hasn't helped me warm to him, those types of performances are totally unacceptable and they're hard to come back from.

feck ups from clowns like De Gea taken into account, Eriks still had an absolute shocker these last few weeks, got just about everything wrong.

This is worrying me too. We needed a result today. Badly. Weghorst has done zero to suggest he should be a starter for us. And to fit him in as a 10 (which he isn’t) we move our two best players out of position.

Even if you have to start Wout, why not leave him at 9 (he’s not good there either, I know) and leave Bruno and Rashford in their best positions?

Exactly, we were apparently desperate for a striker but had no money so were forced to sign a striker that’s not good enough for the PL but then play him as a 10 or a midfielder which fecks us with our other players as they’re forced out of position.

Watching BT Sports now and Crouch and Rio are both saying the same thing, it just doesn’t make any sense at all and thing is you can’t blame Weghorst as he’s doing as he’s told by ETH despite being nowhere near good enough to play as a striker let alone as a 10 or midfielder.

Our first 6 day break since the world cup, 6 days to fix this, 6 days to not play WW.

Win the next 3 games and the season is saved, lose any of them and :nervous:

3 goals scored in the last 6 games not facing any big opponents. That's shocking.

If he doesn't get us top four we really need to start asking the question at least.
We scored 57 goals in our worst ever premier league season last year: we're on 49 scored this year with 4 more games to go. Now I think one of LVG's season's holds the record for the least goals scored but whatever way you spin it that is still extremely worrying.

Sancho, Wout, Antony, Martial, Elanga, Garnacho....there's just not enough goals there.

Winning the League Cup now is apparently "over achieving" according to some. Absolutely fecking hilarious.
It would have been if we walked top 4 and got 75-80 points.

No top 4 and the LC is looking like an early climax with not even a thought for a 2nd round.

Please for the love of god stop playing 4231.

What's the definition of insanity again?

Ten hag needs to change the formation and gut the absolute horrendous deadwood.

Casemiro, Eriksen, Malacia, Weghorst, Antony all started tonight. All Ten Hag players. Half the team.

I’m not blaming Ten Hag for De Gea’s mistake. I’m blaming Ten Hag for our inability to win a game.
I don't blame you for doubting or questioning him. I am on the same boat as you as well. Things have to improve next season for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's Edu who deals with Arsenals transfers, right?

Well, if so, he needs an Edu because our current transfer strategy is going to prevent him from ever being a success. No matter how good you are as a coach, you cannot challenge with a squad full of lightweight players. A central midfield of two old, slow, weak players, nobody who can beat their man, nobody who can receive the ball in the channels and keep it with a man on them. It's a recipe for disaster.

Ten Hag is not a likeable character and its difficult to imagine him inspiring a team or them wanting to get behind him. He's a cold fish. I think Man Utd should get rid of him at the end of the season as well as the whingers and moaners in the squad. Start again with players with real heart and desire and build from there. Build a team. Not just bring in a bunch of mercenaries and egoists.

Needs a striker, but nobody made him spend such a vast amount of money on Antony. He chose to invest so much in a relatively ineffective player

Seems to be really struggling

Very bizarre setup with Weghorst starting games, even more so when he’s played at #10 and Bruno pushed out wide with Rashford through the middle? Infact bizarre isn’t the right word Id probably get banned for speaking my mind.

His team selections and subs have been consistently poor for so many matches in a row now. We were looking the most dangerous when we were playing Rashford up front. It's not his best position but when we don't have any other competent striker we have to play him there. Weghorst is just a terrible player. Martial's also poor and doesn't even offer workrate. Both utter liabilities yet picked repeatedly despite failing to make a positive impact every time. ETH will get his chance next season regardless of if we get top 4 or not but this has been a horrendous drop in form and he deserves massive criticism for that in my eyes. There's also been no major change to our style of play and we're not playing the possession style that everyone expected, in fact we had more possession under Ole than we do now. If things don't improve early next season he'll be at risk of getting sacked and considering how much investment he's had in just his first season justifiably so.

Winning the League Cup now is apparently "over achieving" according to some. Absolutely fecking hilarious.
Losing to Sevilla in the Europa Quarter Finals 2-5 with a 2-0 lead is also part of the overachievement don’t forget. . .

I like a lot of things about EtH but the bar really has been in the basement for some.

Just like Ole, he made his bed by signing crap or players that don’t fit. Coupled with the bottlers we already had - he’ll be lucky if he survives next season.

i posted this in another thread but feel it will get deleted before long so posting it here too..

Its hard not to notice the drop in quality these last months, which is somewhat on ETH for sure.
Its hard not to notice the drop in quality these last months, which is somewhat on ETH for sure.

However… we’ve come to the crucial last stages of the season after a gruelling schedule which has had us play 3 games every 8/9 days for months, we haven’t had a week off between matches for a long time. Our mainstay defense is gone for the season and out squad is so threadbare we keep having to rely on the likes of Weghorst, with key players like…

Rashfords goals dried up
Martial injured for large parts of the season
Sancho going awol for a while and not providing a whole lot on the pitch
Casemiro missing for key games due to his stupid red cards
Garnacho injured for a chunk of game
Eriksen injured for a chunk of games
Having to rely on McFred, Maguire and Lindelof again for multiple games
Anthony hasn’t kicked on yet
Constant DDG howlers like today costing us points

ETH hasn’t helped himself at times that’s for sure, and i’m not trying to absolve all blame from him, but it’s his first season in the league with complete uncertainty around the ownership creating unrest, and we are still on track to finish in the top 4 with a Carling Cup win and the potential for an FA Cup win, granted it’s a long shot but we’ve beat City this season. This is a setback but we just need to win 3 of our last 4 games, 3 of which are at home where we’ve been our best this season

Please have a little perspective and take in the context before we start suggesting stupid things like sacking him just yet

Gutted this is how it's ending with ETH. Had high hopes :(

Two things I don’t get 1. Why play Weghorst and not use his height but play him as an attacking midfielder? It’s like playing with 10 men and 2. why not let Bruno roam more instead of stubbornly playing him on the right when it clearly doesn’t work?

He needs to take more risks and rotate more.

I have some questions about the line-up today and the overall performance in this game which was shocking.

We have lost two whole games though purely because one player stuck his arm up in the last second of one game and our keeper let in a weak as piss shot. Maybe those two games are 0 - 0s or we even win this one but the manager can’t be at fault for those two things, but yes for the overall crap performance tonight.

xG doesn’t seem to agree with the idea that we created enough and just have poor finishers —

I mean, we would likely create a lot more xG with a proper centre forward making the requisite runs, but it is hard to have any sympathy for a manager who looks at this squad and thinks

…… Rashford
Bruno Weg Antony

with Malacia and AWB at full-back is the best use of the resources he has available.

Erik ten Hag: "I can't blame my team, they put all the effort in.

What is he smoking? I want the same as he has.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. This is a team that he's assembled. Yes, having to shuffle players around due to injuries at centre back is frustrating. But, it's the other end of the pitch that is the issue. The finishing is tragic but we're not doing anywhere near enough to get through games, or to maintain control of matches. I feel like ETH has one plan and sticks to it, and he is unable to deviate from that plan. The subs have also become predictable and stale, and actually don't change/impact the game. He's quickly become too rigid...doing the same thing over and over. How many times did West Ham waltz in down on right hand side tonight? What did we do about it? Nothing.

For me the worst is that he doesn’t seem to acknowledge the fact that our midfield cannot function with lightweight players like Bruno and Eriksen, who are totally ineffective when pressed, can’t shield the ball to save their lives, and non-existent defensively despite all the running about by Bruno. It really is a terrible midfield that can only function when conditions are good. Anthony, Malacia, and Wout are shockers as well. All of his signings which he knew inside out.

I have some questions about the line-up today and the overall performance in this game which was shocking.

We have lost two whole games though purely because one player stuck his arm up in the last second of one game and our keeper let in a weak as piss shot. Maybe those two games are 0 - 0s or we even win this one but the manager can’t be at fault for those two things, but yes for the overall crap performance tonight.
Manager is at fault for the absolute shambles that we are going forward. Every keeper/defender has a howler in them from time to time, but we look absurdly disjointed going forward.

Today they could have added 800 minutes and we'd still not score.

Was our earlier success/positivity basically due to rashford than anything else? He papered over the cracks?

Pretty much.

Myself and others tried to point out the attacking football hadn't really changed. It was still all about Bruno putting Rashford through.

But as I've said before, a manager needs new tools. He can't transform players. Many convinced themselves ETH had turned around players careers. Ridiculous expectation levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.