Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luis Enrique and Potter!!! Surely you have to be trolling.
Luis Enrique is a far more established manager than ten Hag. Potter obviously not and he fecked up big time in Chelsea, but to be fair, he was set in a bad situation (starting in September).

My point though is that not getting fourth was always unacceptable and should continue being so. Especially when you consider the path and the fact that we have become an utter embarrassment (even more than under Ole) when we play away against any half decent team.

Luis Enrique is a far more established manager than ten Hag. Potter obviously not and he fecked up big time in Chelsea, but to be fair, he was set in a bad situation (starting in September).

My point though is that not getting fourth was always unacceptable and should continue being so. Especially when you consider the path and the fact that we have become an utter embarrassment (even more than under Ole) when we play away against any half decent team.
Why would Potter be on the list if you're judging him by the same standards as Ten Hag? He also inherited one of the most expensively assembled squads, threw more money at in January and was in 11th place at the time of sacking. What's the logic there?

And ten Hag started in July with a lot of players unavailable for preseason.

That Pool are so close now is pretty bad. He needs to fix our away from home form right now otherwise it will become a tough fight.

If we blow what was a 10 point lead over the Scousers and finish outside the top 4 then he should expect to get sacked.

The second part of your sentence is not that unlikely for this season at least.
They have only 3 games remaining and they've been struggling with those games a lot. 9 points from 3 games is not that unlikely, but their perfection coupled with horrible United kind of is.

They have only 3 games remaining and they've been struggling with those games a lot. 9 points from 3 games is not that unlikely, but their perfection coupled with horrible United kind of is.
I don't think we'll miss it, but our performances have a followed a specific negative pattern for quite some time now. We need a big win, don't ask me where the goals for that would come from though.

I don't think we'll miss it, but our performances have a followed a specific negative pattern for quite some time now. We need a big win, don't ask me where the goals for that would come from though.
After the West Ham game we will have first midweek off since World Cup. Insane fixture congestion, injury crisis, lack of recovery and training time on top of massively unbalanced squad were always going to be problematic.
Fans need a big win, table really doesn't. Going out of top 4 would require absolutely perfect Liverpool or Brighton and United playing worse than at any other point of the season. And after longer periods of under or overperformance teams generally get back to the mean, not continue the trend indefinitely.

After the West Ham game we will have first midweek off since World Cup. Insane fixture congestion, injury crisis, lack of recovery and training time on top of massively unbalanced squad were always going to be problematic.
Fans need a big win, table really doesn't. Going out of top 4 would require absolutely perfect Liverpool or Brighton and United playing worse than at any other point of the season. And after longer periods of under or overperformance teams generally get back to the mean, not continue the trend indefinitely.

First midweek off since October I read earlier.

His obsession with a hapless loanee Burnley "striker" is really starting to piss me off, I'm concerned we will be lumbered with said striker for a good deal longer as he will sign him permanently. And I rate ETH so this obsession is infuriating

This is where we need hopefully our new structure to block him if he does try

Still think he's over-partial/ slightly myopic when it comes to Weg, partly due to the brief period in which WW was vaguely effective (Barca game in particular), but Martial isn't exactly putting forward unequivocal case for preferment...

Expecting to see Garnacho on by 60 mins with it at 0-0 or 1-0 and WW having done essentially nothing except chase and try and fight at least one defender, with Rash then going up top...

If we don’t do so well under Ten Hag it’s not exactly crisis anyways. Nagelsmann exists and so does Tuchel.

I would 110% put just as much trust in those coaches as Ten Hag. They would fit United so well I imagine.

We’ll always have good coaches ready to take this club on.

His obsession with a hapless loanee Burnley "striker" is really starting to piss me off, I'm concerned we will be lumbered with said striker for a good deal longer as he will sign him permanently. And I rate ETH so this obsession is infuriating

Agreed. Can't believe he's in the starting lineup for a pivotal away game like this one.

Which is revisionism at its finest as most were quite excited to see what impact he could have after his good WC performances.
I wanted Felix. End of the day I wasn’t impressed with Wout at the WC didn’t catch my eye at all despite that lucky Argentina game. Gakpo was the only Dutch player who caught my eye up front.

Felix was a beast in some moments at the World Cup through the middle alongside Bruno. So much pace and movement between the lines.

Only reason we didn’t sign Felix is because the Glazer’s wanted to save 15m for themselves and the sale.

He won’t try to sign Weghorst, he’s not an idiot. He obviously feels he has nothing better to work with which should make some of the others at the club have a long, hard look at themselves. I include players and recruitment staff in that.

I have got a lot of time for EtH and think he has really done well up to this point.

His obsession with the Weghorst experiment is something I don’t really get though. What is he seeing that none of us are able to? There is barely a footballer there let alone a starting striker for Man United.
Hope it does not cost him his job.

Nagelsmann, Pocchetino, Zidane, Luis Enrique, Potter at the top of my head. Probably Ancelotti if Madrid do not win UCL.

So yeah, there are always good managers around. Big clubs usually hire of them if they have a disaster season (which this will be if we do not get fourth). And while I am disappointed with how this season has gone, I would be happy to continue with ten Hag for another season providing we get fourth (and manage to not lose by more than 3-4 goals in the final).

Ten Hag is significantly better than all of those managers you listed. Come back to this post in 12 months' time and you'll see I was spot on.

I have got a lot of time for EtH and think he has really done well up to this point.

His obsession with the Weghorst experiment is something I don’t really get though. What is he seeing that none of us are able to? There is barely a footballer there let alone a starting striker for Man United.
Hope it does not cost him his job.
He was a player he’d worked with before, who’d got the best scoring record in the Bundesliga after Lewandowski and Haaland, on a free when the club was scratching round in a January window with no money. We weren’t going to land Mbappe.

I’m sure he’d love a better striker but he’s working with what he’s got. I’m sure the plan is to get third, win the fa cup and turn attention to signing a decent striker as soon as the whistle blows.

More than 15 million. There is also ffp we have to worry about.
Yea, he would cost more than that, but loaning Felix is irrelevant to how much Glazers get from the sale. It's not like right before the sale they are allowed to transfer the remaining club bank accounts or something.

He was a player he’d worked with before, who’d got the best scoring record in the Bundesliga after Lewandowski and Haaland, on a free when the club was scratching round in a January window with no money. We weren’t going to land Mbappe.

I’m sure he’d love a better striker but he’s working with what he’s got. I’m sure the plan is to get third, win the fa cup and turn attention to signing a decent striker as soon as the whistle blows.

He didn't work with him before and the club paid 3m for him plus wages.

Rashford is fine as a striker and a far better option than Weghorst.

When did they work together before?

I can get behind the reason why he got him to the club. But quite clearly, this experiment has not worked at all, apart from a few weeks in the beginning. There is no excuse for starting him now. He can play Rashford up top or Sabitzer as a false 9. There are options available to starting a centre forward who is 2 seconds late to every ball, fluffs his line when presented a chance and cannot header the ball even though he is like 6 foot 6 inches.

Weghorst starting again I see… fecking hell, he’s really pushing this isn’t he.

If Utd lose this / draw playing badly he’s going to start feeling pressure now.

Have a strange feeling Weghorst will score / assist though! I mean, the sheer law of averages says he must do soon!

He didn't work with him before and the club paid 3m for him plus wages.

Rashford is fine as a striker and a far better option than Weghorst.
When did they work together before?
I can get behind the reason why he got him to the club. But quite clearly, this experiment has not worked at all, apart from a few weeks in the beginning. There is no excuse for starting him now. He can play Rashford up top or Sabitzer as a false 9. There are options available to starting a centre forward who is 2 seconds late to every ball, fluffs his line when presented a chance and cannot header the ball even though he is like 6 foot 6 inches.
Huh, turns out they didn’t apparently. Not sure where I got that from, I thought they were both at FC Twente in some capacity but that appears to have been bollocks, my bad. :lol:

I’d play Rashford as a 9 over him but I can also see why he wants Rashford on the left. If he thinks Weghorst can drop in and help the midfield or be a false 9, I got no issues with that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.