Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we have a big lead ahead of Liverpool at the moment to bottle this considering we have 3 home games coming, but if we manage to do the impossible and bottle 4th from our spot, I'll honestly want him sacked on the spot, no kidding.

That's the only scenario in which I'll have no issue directly asking for his head.

Finish top 4 and with League Cup trophy and it would be a decent/not bad season. It was better prior to that cup win and we have been crap since then so this deducts a lot of points from this year.
Let me ask, is the quality of the squad, the injuries or casemiro’s red cards ETH fault?

No, most of us are arguing Weghorst shouldn't have been signed if it was somehow Weghorst or nothing(which btw is complete nonsense).
It literally was Wout or nobody though? Some wingers/attacking mids moved clubs, sure. Joao Felix was like a 15m loan for half a season and has been a disaster and isn't a striker in any way. Trossard was a good signing for Arsenal but was 25m or so which we didn't have. Gakpo is alright, not really a striker but was 35m or so which we didn't have. What else was there?

Weghorst played so much because everybody else was injured or a child so you don't want to throw them in too much for their own development sake (big reason why so many of ours the past 10 years have failed to develop is giving them too much too early). Now that players returned from injury, he's barely playing.

He clearly isn't a regular. He's barely featured since Martial came back. The fact that people are so wound up over a 10 minute cameo is absurd. As for the arguments surrounding Elanga or Pellistri - both came on against Sevilla and, the former in particular, were absolutely horrendous. As for signing someone else in Jan, we had 3 million to spend, who on earth were we going to sign for that? We went for a cheap championship level striker and thats what we got. Theres absolutely no way we were getting more than what we got with the resources we had. Genuinely think most of you are deliberately being obtuse by arguing we could find a half decent football player with 3 million pounds.
He was a regular, you know that's exactly what I mean. It should never have taken this long for him to lose his starting place

This is key, you can almost guarantee that there will be a response of sorts on Sunday. Under previous regimes results such as the Liverpool or Sevilla one would have resulted in a sustained rut that would have surely derailed the season.
We followed the Liverpool game with a draw at home to Southampton and a battering by Newcastle.

Let me ask, is the quality of the squad, the injuries or casemiro’s red cards ETH fault?
Tbf casemiro's suspensions have had virtually no effect on any league results. We did well in his absence. Loss to Arsenal, likely loss anyway. 2 wins and 1 draw between Leeds X2 and Leicester. Loss to Newcastle, but then 3 wins from Brentford, Everton and Fulham in the cup. Only the 2 points dropped vs Southampton where he got sent off early actually cost us points IMO, the rest are pretty much as you'd expect over those set of fixtures even if he was fit and there.

He was a regular, you know that's exactly what I mean. It should never have taken this long for him to lose his starting place
He wouldn't have been a regular if we had adults available to play. Elanga is somehow worse, Garnacho is a kid and was being handled perfectly til his injury, Sancho was unavailable, Martial injured, Antony had a good chunk of injuries. The alternative was literally just play Pellistri every game on the right that Antony was unavailable for, put Rashford in the middle and Garnacho to play every game until his injury on the left.

He wouldn't have been a regular if we had adults available to play. Elanga is somehow worse, Garnacho is a kid and was being handled perfectly til his injury, Sancho was unavailable, Martial injured, Antony had a good chunk of injuries.
It goes beyond him as a starter, it's how he was used to, shifting Bruno on the left or wing just to incorporate Wout at all cost, decisions like these were/are easily avoidable. It was such decision to make in several games.
Even with all the players missing through injuries or suspensions, nothing justified playing Wout as a 10 or anywhere in the pitch. The guy was so out of his depth, it's sad that our manager cannot see that

It goes beyond him as a starter, it's how he was used to, shifting Bruno on the left or wing just to incorporate Wout at all cost, decisions like these were/are easily avoidable. It was such decision to make in several games.
Even with all the players missing through injuries or suspensions, nothing justified playing Wout as a 10 or anywhere in the pitch. The guy was so out of his depth, it's sad that our manager cannot see that
I mean once Martial came back from injury, Weghorst has hardly played. Also, everyone freaking out about him, but has he actually costed us in any single game? We are top 4 with 4 points ahead and a game in hand, yes? We are in the fa cup final, yes? We won the league Cup with him, yes? We deservedly beat Barcelona with him, yes? He didn't start either game vs Sevilla by the way.

I get he's a shit player, but he did alright for a time, and then his impact waned and eventually he stopped playing because we finally got players back from injury. People acting like Weghorst is the reason for some supposed failures (hint, we haven't failed in any actual targets this season). So at that point, you are just arguing about trivial matters. What, our goal difference may have been 3 goals better had Weghorst played a bit less? Big fecking deal, get over yourself.

I mean once Martial came back from injury, Weghorst has hardly played. Also, everyone freaking out about him, but has he actually costed us in any single game? We are top 4 with 4 points ahead and a game in hand, yes? We are in the fa cup final, yes? We won the league Cup with him, yes? We deservedly beat Barcelona with him, yes? He didn't start either game vs Sevilla by the way.

I get he's a shit player, but he did alright for a time, and then his impact waned and eventually he stopped playing because we finally got players back from injury. People acting like Weghorst is the reason for some supposed failures (hint, we haven't failed in any actual targets this season). So at that point, you are just arguing about trivial matters. What, our goal difference may have been 3 goals better had Weghorst played a bit less? Big fecking deal, get over yourself.
It's not about him directly costing though, he's been utterly pointless which at the highest level, is about as detrimental as costing you.
The rest of what you said (the 2nd paragraph) is your nonsense interpretation of what I said. Your words, not mine.

I think we have a big lead ahead of Liverpool at the moment to bottle this considering we have 3 home games coming, but if we manage to do the impossible and bottle 4th from our spot, I'll honestly want him sacked on the spot, no kidding.

Jeez, not sure how he could possibly recover from that. Probably get Bayern job in less than a year.

That's the only scenario in which I'll have no issue directly asking for his head.

Finish top 4 and with League Cup trophy and it would be a decent/not bad season. It was better prior to that cup win and we have been crap since then so this deducts a lot of points from this year.

Who would you replace him with?

It's not about him directly costing though, he's been utterly pointless which at the highest level, is about as detrimental as costing you.
The rest of what you said (the 2nd paragraph) is your nonsense interpretation of what I said. Your words, not mine.
He hasn't costed us though. He was a cover for injuries. Not a very good one, but also one that didn't cost us in anything. He had his uses mainly with his work rate and providing some semblance of hold up, he wasn't utterly pointless. So I don't get why people keep going on about it? It's like they're deliberately being obtuse and missing the point. No, Ten Hag doesn't see him as his ideal striker, he played a good chunk because we had many players absent. He didn't hurt our top 4 challenge, he didn't stop us from winning the league Cup, he didn't stop our fa cup progress, and he didn't harm our Europa League Campaign. So ultimately, it's people just going on and on and on about just not wanting to see him on the pitch even if he didn't actually stop us from doing anything as a team. So it's utterly pointless. Literally mentioning him as a complaint against ten hag is fecking pointless, because we are well on track, so he clearly did something right.

I'm sure Oles due to his Real Madrid gig anytime soon too.
Wait are you seriously comparing Ole getting Madrid to Ten Hag getting Bayern? You do realize Bayern were eyeing him up post Ajax as an eventual successor? That if he does leave United he most likely actually will go back to Bayern one day (he was there in the past as a reserve team manager)? Laughably shit comment when it's actually the truth that he would get a top job instantly.

He hasn't costed us though. He was a cover for injuries. Not a very good one, but also one that didn't cost us in anything. He had his uses mainly with his work rate and providing some semblance of hold up, he wasn't utterly pointless. So I don't get why people keep going on about it? It's like they're deliberately being obtuse and missing the point. No, Ten Hag doesn't see him as his ideal striker, he played a good chunk because we had many players absent. He didn't hurt our top 4 challenge, he didn't stop us from winning the league Cup, he didn't stop our fa cup progress, and he didn't harm our Europa League Campaign. So ultimately, it's people just going on and on and on about just not wanting to see him on the pitch even if he didn't actually stop us from doing anything as a team. So it's utterly pointless. Literally mentioning him as a complaint against ten hag is fecking pointless, because we are well on track, so he clearly did something right.
If your way of analysis is whether a player cost us or not :lol: then I will leave you to it. There ain't much else to say from me

I'm sure Oles due to his Real Madrid gig anytime soon too.

Yeah, absolutely same CV and accomplishments :lol:

There isn't much between Nagelsmann and ten Hag and am fairly sure ten Hag name would be brought into discussion (with Bayern eying him before). But hey ho, Ole couldn't get a big job after, so why would ten Hag? Makes sense.

I am a bit baffled that a few have such a no room for error and seemingly a clear dislike for the fella. Some on here are never relenting in their moaning.

Fecking weird init. Its like some are just addicted to the constant cycle of sacking and hiring managers

I am a bit baffled that a few have such a no room for error and seemingly a clear dislike for the fella. Some on here are never relenting in their moaning.
It seems like the modern response to 'sing when you're winning' is 'err yeah obviously'.

If your way of analysis is whether a player cost us or not :lol: then I will leave you to it. There ain't much else to say from me
Im saying the amount that people go on about it as if he ruined their year when it's made no difference to our league or cup campaigns is fecking mind numbing and entirely disproportionate.

Yeah, he is annoying to see on the pitch. Guess what, he barely plays now and only played because of injuries. We all would have preferred to have fit players.

There ain't much else to say because there is no logic in the complaints anyway. You keep going on about him playing Weghorst as some massive shit decision that is actually worth discussing apparently. Well what was the result of this shit decision? Who would you have signed instead? What would have this potential other recruitment provided? Who would you have rather started up top in the bulk of the games he started? Go on. Stop bitching about Ten Hag playing him with no alternatives for the sake of bitching (not you necessarily, but others)

Which is revisionism at its finest as most were quite excited to see what impact he could have after his good WC performances.

That is absolute nonsense.

If people on here were excited for Weghorst, they were deluded.

And that is fictitious stuff anyways. No one was seriously excited about that signing.

Wait are you seriously comparing Ole getting Madrid to Ten Hag getting Bayern? You do realize Bayern were eyeing him up post Ajax as an eventual successor? That if he does leave United he most likely actually will go back to Bayern one day (he was there in the past as a reserve team manager)? Laughably shit comment when it's actually the truth that he would get a top job instantly.
You must not have encountered his posts before. The club and everyone associated with it has to be spoken about with utter contempt. A great shtick which never gets old - very cool!

Tbf casemiro's suspensions have had virtually no effect on any league results. We did well in his absence. Loss to Arsenal, likely loss anyway. 2 wins and 1 draw between Leeds X2 and Leicester. Loss to Newcastle, but then 3 wins from Brentford, Everton and Fulham in the cup. Only the 2 points dropped vs Southampton where he got sent off early actually cost us points IMO, the rest are pretty much as you'd expect over those set of fixtures even if he was fit and there.

Think we would have defended lead better at Arsenal if Casa had been available

Jesus you have had some bonkers posts the last few weeks but my god that first paragraph takes the cake :wenger:

Jesus you have had some bonkers posts the last few weeks but my god that first paragraph takes the cake :wenger:

Tbf, bottling 4th would be a disaster.

Doubt we do though. We should beat West Ham and then our schedule is much easier.

Tbf, bottling 4th would be a disaster.

Doubt we do though. We should beat West Ham and then our schedule is much easier.
Yeh it'd be fecking awful no doubt, but calling for him to be sacked if it happens? That's just ridiculous from that poster, we'd be starting all over yet again, and I for one don't want to go through all that.

You must not have encountered his posts before. The club and everyone associated with it has to be spoken about with utter contempt. A great shtick which never gets old - very cool!

"I compete with myself" thats his motto for posting so much shit.

Yeh it'd be fecking awful no doubt, but calling for him to be sacked if it happens? That's just ridiculous from that poster, we'd be starting all over yet again, and I for one don't want to go through all that.
Getting fourth has been the minimum requirement for any United manager. Why should be different for ten Hag who actually has a better team than any of them, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs are having historically bad seasons, and we were 10+ points ahead of Liverpool not long ago? Of course he should be fired in that case.

Getting fourth has been the minimum requirement for any United manager. Why should be different for ten Hag who actually has a better team than any of them, the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs are having historically bad seasons, and we were 10+ points ahead of Liverpool not long ago? Of course he should be fired in that case.
He inherited one huge fecking mess, let's not pretend otherwise. It would be an awful end to the season if we missed out on top 4, but where do we go next if we sack him? It would be beyond stupid.

He inherited one huge fecking mess, let's not pretend otherwise. It would be an awful end to the season if we missed out on top 4, but where do we go next if we sack him? It would be beyond stupid.

I wouldn't sack him either, but bottling top 4 is just a disaster.

If new owners come in, I don't think he'd survive.

We have probably the most expensive assembled squad of all time. While it is not great, it is better than what the others had to start with, and it is definitely better than the likes of Brighton who made us three times this season look like a Sunday league team.

Where do we get next has always been the excuse for prolonging the spell of previous managers for the cult part of the fans. There are always good managers in the market.

We have probably the most expensive assembled squad of all time. While it is not great, it is better than what the others had to start with, and it is definitely better than the likes of Brighton who made us three times this season look like a Sunday league team.

Where do we get next has always been the excuse for prolonging the spell of previous managers for the cult part of the fans. There are always good managers in the market.
That doesn't really matter though. It might be expensively assembled but spending £80m on Harry Maguire doesn't make him a better defender than Ruben Dias, does it? The money hasn't been spent well so the point is pretty much redundant when the majority of that spending predates Ten Hag.

Brighton have been building towards what they're doing for some time. Potter was there for about 3 years before it started to click, and once their style of play was ingrained it gave De Zerbi a platform to work from. Ten Hag inherited a United team with no identity and a habit of losing games. I'm not going to pretend finishing 5th would be a success either, but take a look at some of the players he has to work with. This team still needs a lot of work and no manager is getting a tune out of the likes of Wout Weghorst.

Well they certainly beat us in two halves this season, which was at home first half (we were by far the better side second) and the second half Thursday night (we certainly could of scored 2/3 goals first half), felt the final was fairly even.

If you could list the good managers on the market currently I'd love to hear them.

That doesn't really matter though. It might be expensively assembled but spending £80m on Harry Maguire doesn't make him a better defender than Ruben Dias, does it? The money hasn't been spent well so the point is pretty much redundant when the majority of that spending predates Ten Hag.

Brighton have been building towards what they're doing for some time. Potter was there for about 3 years before it started to click, and once their style of play was ingrained it gave De Zerbi a platform to work from. Ten Hag inherited a United team with no identity and a habit of losing games. I'm not going to pretend finishing 5th would be a success either, but take a look at some of the players he has to work with. This team still needs a lot of work and no manager is getting a tune out of the likes of Wout Weghorst.
United is still easily the fourth best team in the country. Liverpool are better but they are having a shit season. Newcastle have definitely a worse squad and a manager that they also just hired but are doing better. Likely 70 points are going to be enough for the fourth place (which is lower than in some seasons). Not managing to do so is an utter disaster, especially when you consider the consistent spanking we got during the season, and the absolute humiliation in Anfield*. Let’s call a spade a spade.

* In my lifetime, that is the heaviest defeat any team has managed from their closest rivals.

If you could list the good managers on the market currently I'd love to hear them.
Nagelsmann, Pocchetino, Zidane, Luis Enrique, Potter at the top of my head. Probably Ancelotti if Madrid do not win UCL.

So yeah, there are always good managers around. Big clubs usually hire of them if they have a disaster season (which this will be if we do not get fourth). And while I am disappointed with how this season has gone, I would be happy to continue with ten Hag for another season providing we get fourth (and manage to not lose by more than 3-4 goals in the final).

United is still easily the fourth best team in the country. Liverpool are better but they are having a shit season. Newcastle have definitely a worse squad and a manager that they also just hired but are doing better. Likely 70 points are going to be enough for the fourth place (which is lower than in some seasons). Not managing to do so is an utter disaster, especially when you consider the consistent spanking we got during the season, and the absolute humiliation in Anfield*. Let’s call a spade a spade.

* In my lifetime, that is the heaviest defeat any team has managed from their closest rivals.
Newcastle have two good goalscorers in Wilson and Isak which covers for a lot of problems, we have Rashford but most of the season we've had past it Ronaldo or Weghorst playing up top. Newcastle also look like they've got a half decent recruitment team in around the manager as they've managed to sign players like Trippier, Botman, Guimaraes and Isak for him. I still agree that we should've finished above them, but it takes huge pressure off the manager when you can trust the team around you to run the club correctly on a footballing level.

We're a badly run club. We've got a good coach. We absolutely should get top 4 and it would be a huge disappointment not to, but the manager shouldn't be the one who pays the price for that. The drubbings happened last season too so it's not an isolated incident. We still have a fragile group of players who need to be upgraded upon, but it wasn't possible to do all of that work in one summer and especially not with these owners.

Nagelsmann, Pocchetino, Zidane, Luis Enrique, Potter at the top of my head. Probably Ancelotti if Madrid do not win UCL.

So yeah, there are always good managers around. Big clubs usually hire of them if they have a disaster season (which this will be if we do not get fourth). And while I am disappointed with how this season has gone, I would be happy to continue with ten Hag for another season providing we get fourth (and manage to not lose by more than 3-4 goals in the final).
Luis Enrique and Potter!!! Surely you have to be trolling.

So it's all subjective as you say, Potter was a disaster at Chelsea, Pochettino fans didn't want, Nagelsmann got sacked at Bayern for messing up a one horse race, Enrique has this allure but no club seems to want to hire him and Zidane.

5, 3 of which are the same level at best and 2 who haven't been in club management for how many years, not to mention it's also a new league.

Don't get me wrong I'll be gutted if we somehow bottle top 4, not that I think it will happen and questions will be asked of the manager and the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.