Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to say we want to sign this and that. The question here is right now we're hearing rumor about our 100mil budget. Those GK may eat up half or more of that budget. I am not aware of a quality CF for 50mil.

What if the incompetent Football Director did just that by telling ETH that he has 100mil to spend, and goes do his homework. They can't offer any alternative.

ETH would have an option of resigning or sorting his priority. A quality goal scorer is more impactful to get result than GK. Liverpool did their rebuild that way.

Needs to start making more noise in pressers

Easy to say we want to sign this and that. The question here is right now we're hearing rumor about our 100mil budget. Those GK may eat up half or more of that budget. I am not aware of a quality CF for 50mil.

What if the incompetent Football Director did just that by telling ETH that he has 100mil to spend, and goes do his homework. They can't offer any alternative.

ETH would have an option of resigning or sorting his priority. A quality goal scorer is more impactful to get result than GK. Liverpool did their rebuild that way.

Well if you only have £100m budget then we have to find a way to raise around £75m AND utilise free agent market too

Needs to start making more noise in pressers
I don't think it's the time yet. Need to confirm that top 4.

You don't want to dare the boss about leaving your job, when your seat is shaking (losing top 4, losing FA Cup final and your rival pontentially complete a treble). Still need to focus on this season objective. If anything explosive coming out, it should be after the FA Cup final regardless of the outcome.

We lack goals bro, we have one scoring source that went through a ridiculous purple patch. We create chances but don't score nearly enough. With more goals in the team, the ripple effect touches the defence and keeper. Everyone would play with confidence.
I don't see how having a ball playing GK significantly improves our scoring

We don't create that many chances though.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Our xG is 6th in the league. We need to score more goals, but we need to play better too. Someone like Kane would improve us greatly, but our ceiling is still hampered unless we can play out from the back with precision and poise. It's not a coincidence that Pep came in and switched GKs right away at City. When Bravo didn't work out, he immediately went and got Ederson. That was the 1st thing he did in both pre-seasons. I honestly think Ten Hag should have done the same here. It's not a coincidence Liverpool also went up a level with a sweeper GK.

Again, I agree.

I just worry he won't stick to his guns in regards to a GK for some reason.

I mean he tried playing out from the back with De Gea in the beginning and quickly realize it can't be done. I don't know how he thought he could, but hopefully next season, he rectifies it.

I think if we have spending restrictions, he might add a striker who guarantees at least 20 goals so that we can "grow" as a team for next season (meaning that we will amass more points and likely secure top 4 again) and "sacrifice" another year with De Gea in goal.

Hopefully not, though. I think Henderson would be a better option for free, or get Raya for a lower fee, if we're not willing to pay 60-70m for Costa.

I don't think it's the time yet. Need to confirm that top 4.

You don't want to dare the boss about leaving your job, when your seat is shaking (losing top 4, losing FA Cup final and your rival pontentially complete a treble). Still need to focus on this season objective. If anything explosive coming out, it should be after the FA Cup final regardless of the outcome

Oh yeah I want explosive after Cup Final, needs to make these owners squirm in their Florida mansions but doubt they ever will

I think if we have spending restrictions, he might add a striker who guarantees at least 20 goals so that we can "grow" as a team for next season (meaning that we will amass more points and likely secure top 4 again) and "sacrifice" another year with De Gea in goal.

Hopefully not, though. I think Henderson would be a better option for free, or get Raya for a lower fee, if we're not willing to pay 60-70m for Costa.

Would keep De Gea than get Raya

I don't know if we should go after Raya. Steele from Brighton is a better sweeper keeper than he is.

We don't create that many chances though.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Our xG is 6th in the league. We need to score more goals, but we need to play better too. Someone like Kane would improve us greatly, but our ceiling is still hampered unless we can play out from the back with precision and poise. It's not a coincidence that Pep came in and switched GKs right away at City. When Bravo didn't work out, he immediately went and got Ederson. That was the 1st thing he did in both pre-seasons. I honestly think Ten Hag should have done the same here. It's not a coincidence Liverpool also went up a level with a sweeper GK.
Liverpool and City had no issue scoring though. There is absolutely no way in a team lackinh both elements that a keeper is a bigger priority than a striker.
xG 6th but we are 8th in terms of actual scoring, a better striker improves both numbers without a doubt and that's without talking about the impact it has on the rest of the team.
A good keeper is a final piece of a puzzle type of signing, not the main priority :lol: What's the point of playing it from the back nicely if we can't put the ball in the back of the net. This would be like LVG type of football basically

Well if you only have £100m budget then we have to find a way to raise around £75m AND utilise free agent market too
Tall order. It's not like clubs queueing for Martial, Bailly, Telles, Fred... The supposed sale-able players like AWB, Maguire, McTominay, Henderson would still drag out. It's not like other clubs don't want to lowball to get the lowest price as possible. And manager can only list players he wants to sell. He's not the dealer, negotiator.

It's just like last summer, we thought we could raise some money. Only to wait all summer, and get chump change for some loan, sale for players like Garner. The club sale seems to go to slow which means Glazers may find a way to cheap out of this summer window. Free transfer, doesn't mean free cost. It would still cut into budget some way or another on the wage side. Can't just spend money we yet receive. So all in all it's not just the manager job. However we want, people in recruitment department should have lay the ground work. I don't trust them doing a good job though...

Tall order. It's not like clubs queueing for Martial, Bailly, Telles, Fred... The supposed sale-able players like AWB, Maguire, McTominay, Henderson would still drag out. It's not like other clubs don't want to lowball to get the lowest price as possible. And manager can only list players he wants to sell. He's not the dealer, negotiator.

It's just like last summer, we thought we could raise some money. Only to wait all summer, and get chump change for some loan, sale for players like Garner. The club sale seems to go to slow which means Glazers may find a way to cheap out of this summer window. Free transfer, doesn't mean free cost. It would still cut into budget some way or another on the wage side. Can't just spend money we yet receive. So all in all it's not just the manager job. However we want, people in recruitment should have lay the ground work.

They cheap out of this window and we need to start getting more games called off

Would keep De Gea than get Raya

I don't know if we should go after Raya. Steele from Brighton is a better sweeper keeper than he is.

Each to their own. My point was that ETH obviously knows that he needs a new, long-term no. 1, but FFP might restrict us from signing 3-4 new quality players...I wonder which position he's gonna sacrifice, since GK, CM and ST are all pretty urgent for next season.

Each to their own. My point was that ETH obviously knows that he needs a new, long-term no. 1, but FFP might restrict us from signing 3-4 new quality players...I wonder which position he's gonna sacrifice, since GK, CM and ST are all pretty urgent for next season.

Fecking disgraceful he has to sacrifice because of those leeches over his damn head. Not forgetting we are crying out for a backup DM to give Casa rest as well

Fecking disgraceful he has to sacrifice because of those leeches over his damn head. Not forgetting we are crying out for a backup DM to give Casa rest as well

Backup DM will depend on McTominay I think. If he stays, I don't see us bringing anyone in that position just yet, probably in 2024 or 2025 in that case.

I know McTominay is not a like for like replacement for Casemiro, but his best position is also DM and he's had very good performances there not just under ETH, but previous managers too.

I believe ST and CM is higher in priority list than GK. Liverpool rebuilt (back in 2017) under Klopp from the top. I believe Mane, Wjinaldum, Salah, Robertson, VVD, Fabiano, Allison in that order.

Just look at Spurs for example. Take Kane and Son out, replacing Lloris with the best GK you can find. Add a quality CM, but 2 mediocre attackers. That teams wouldn't be in top 6 whereabout let alone having high season in top 4 like with Kane and Son hitting form.

Flawed goalkeeper would still hinder you in some way, but scoring goal will get you result to keep going for another day.

Backup DM will depend on McTominay I think. If he stays, I don't see us bringing anyone in that position just yet, probably in 2024 or 2025 in that case.

I know McTominay is not a like for like replacement for Casemiro, but his best position is also DM and he's had very good performances there not just under ETH, but previous managers too.

If he stays forget doing anything next year and certainly not good enough for this club despite having some decent performances

If he stays forget doing anything next year and certainly not good enough for this club despite having some decent performances

Well, I rate McTominay, but even if I didn't, your statement would still be overexaggerating.

I believe ST and CM is higher in priority list than GK. Liverpool rebuilt (back in 2017) under Klopp from the top. I believe Mane, Wjinaldum, Salah, Robertson, VVD, Fabiano, Allison in that order.

Just look at Spurs for example. Take Kane and Son out, replacing Lloris with the best GK you can find. Add a quality CM, but 2 mediocre attackers. That teams wouldn't be in top 6 whereabout let alone having high season in top 4 like with Kane and Son hitting form.

Flawed goalkeeper would still hinder you in some way, but scoring goal will get you result to keep going for another day.
People weirdly focus on Allison alone. As great as a keeper can be, if your team cannot score then eventually he will concede goals. Football is decided by goals and I'm specifically talking about momentum during games.

Liverpool probably yeah will be back up there. Arsenal will drop off with a tougher schedule. Newcastle will inevitably drop off, it is an enormous difference having no fixture congestion vs playing every mid week. Knocked out in the 1st game of the FA Cup, no European football... They will struggle to recreate what they've done this season.

Also - why would we want to get knocked out of cups? We have succeeded at hitting our targets in the league up until now, we won a cup, and are in the cup final of another. People can criticize whatever they like but at the end of the day, he has hit every single target for us.
I said we wouldn’t want to get knocked out of the cups. It’s just a fact that if you don’t get knocked out you end up with a busy schedule. City have it as well but they have a squad that can cope. That’s the point. I’m not criticising EtH, just predicting that he’ll be expected to solve our issues fast.

That is true for sure but he was part of the group that at least didn't found anything wrong with wasting all of summer chasing FDJ and spunking an insane part of the budget (apparently even the budget for his NEXT summer) on Antony. If he knew about the dimensions of the problem, he should have gone for more than just 4 signings. He could have gone for 6 or 7.

Obviously I am not judging ETH on it - the club is the one that is responsible for things like that. But lets not act as if ETH didn't get his hands dirty. He had to and its fine.

He's only human though. He came in and there obviously wasn't a great deal of structure there, and once he started training with the squad he probably realised the problem was bigger than he thought. I think that's why he pushed so hard for Martinez and Antony, two players that knew how he wants to play straight off the bat.

Signing FdJ would have been transformational, even more so than Casemiro. I think it's easy to say 'he should have signed this or this player' in hindsight, but we really don't know what was happening at the time and whether those players would have come. We also don't know whether players that went elsewhere would have been successful here, it's a big bigger stage than, say, Newcastle.

The Ronaldo situation didn't help. After being overlooked by UCL clubs all summer he decided to stay, then after basically a month changed his mind and jacked it in! Has everyone actually forgotten that Piers Morgan interview?! Imagine having to try and deal with that part way through a season.

I think it's fine to discuss some of EtH's shortcomings this season, and that includes the transfers, but they've been an issue for years now. I personally get frustrated by how few people leave out some of that context when discussing his performance so far.

He's doing a good job in the circumstances, I feel.

Liverpool and City had no issue scoring though. There is absolutely no way in a team lackinh both elements that a keeper is a bigger priority than a striker.
xG 6th but we are 8th in terms of actual scoring, a better striker improves both numbers without a doubt and that's without talking about the impact it has on the rest of the team.
A good keeper is a final piece of a puzzle type of signing, not the main priority :lol: What's the point of playing it from the back nicely if we can't put the ball in the back of the net. This would be like LVG type of football basically

For the football Ten Hag wants to play, you can argue it is the main priority. We can't play out from the back without a competent GK.

That is fair that Liverpool and City had less issues scoring. We've had the issue of scoring goals since SAF retired.

Ideally, we bring in a striker and a GK. If it's just 1 or the other, I wouldn't be satisfied.

For the football Ten Hag wants to play, you can argue it is the main priority. We can't play out from the back without a competent GK.

That is fair that Liverpool and City had less issues scoring. We've had the issue of scoring goals since SAF retired.

Ideally, we bring in a striker and a GK. If it's just 1 or the other, I wouldn't be satisfied.
The football ETH wants is winning football and it cannot be done without a striker. I doubt he'd be this dogmatic if there is a choice to be made between the 2 positions. If he thinks like that then sack him already cause he would be a fool

The football ETH wants is winning football and it cannot be done without a striker. I doubt he'd be this dogmatic if there is a choice to be made between the 2 positions. If he thinks like that then sack him already cause he would be a fool

Winning football also needs a better GK tbf :lol:

Brighton are a good side and with so many games and such poor strength in depth and injuries we are bound to drop points. We have 10 point from the last 15. All we need is 9 from the last 15 against West Ham, Bournmouth, Chelsea, Wolves and Fulham. Then Liverpool can't catch us even if they win all of their remaining games.

A cup and a top 4 finish will be a great result this season.

How do you suppose to fix it?

For example: Do you think any manager out there to coach DDG into a proper ball playing sweeper GK? If it's to drop him now, for who? It's not like you buy players mid season.

One example, apply to other positions. Where are replacement for the mismatched players?
Fix it by being the manager and do manager stuff as he promised the board.

Most believe buying will resolve it but I think different and that’s the beauty of being fans. All these expectations are aligned to us becoming a better team.

If the inability of DDG to pass from the back is the reason we are not controlling games then our problems are deeper than personnel.

Im not expecting us to become a juggernaut overnight but i expect to see on the pitch some semblance of a team. Without the right quality intent is always easy to pick up on. We are building a team and it has a lot of problem areas but we can’t lose the identity of the manager in it. His identity should be visible in team even when losing.

What’s that now? No wins away to a team in the top half of the table and only one goal?

I said weeks ago we were sleep walking into this situation but people weren’t ready to hear it because we beat the mighty Everton convincingly.

Liverpool smell blood, count on them to win all their remaining games, meaning we need to win 3 of ours. Will we do it? I have serious doubts, but people keep circle jerking about how ‘great’ this season has been, we’ve done feck all yet. It’s 4 games away from being a complete disaster.

If you think Arsenal or Spurs are bottlers, we’re right up there with them.

I maintain there was zero fecking reason other than arrogance to push this squad so deep in the EL, and that may cost us in a big way come the end of the season.

Give Case a rest? He's been suspended for 7 games since February, how much more rest does he need?!

I'm not that worried about "bottling it". The last few weeks we're patched up team, players carrying an injury and no real cover for key players. Even yesterday I thought we looked decent when attacking at times, was close game in terms of xG until the pen. We were dominated because we can barely run at this stage.

My biggest criticism is when Erik went full strength against weak teams and the same squad played every 3 days. I think that's taking a toll now.

I've only seen brief cameos of Pellistri in the Europa League but any time I have, he's looked decent. Fast, direct energetic. Especially v Betis at home, he helped set up one of the goals by keeping a ball in play that I honestly thought he had no chance of getting. I thought after that, we'd definitely see more of him in the league run in.

All I can say is he must really, really, really stink the joint out in training because he hasn't got a look in since.

Fix it by being the manager and do manager stuff as he promised the board.

Most believe buying will resolve it but I think different and that’s the beauty of being fans. All these expectations are aligned to us becoming a better team.

If the inability of DDG to pass from the back is the reason we are not controlling games then our problems are deeper than personnel.

Im not expecting us to become a juggernaut overnight but i expect to see on the pitch some semblance of a team. Without the right quality intent is always easy to pick up on. We are building a team and it has a lot of problem areas but we can’t lose the identity of the manager in it. His identity should be visible in team even when losing.
What did he promise the board? Are you a member of the board?

I won't respond kindly until you can clarifying your vague statement.

I've only seen brief cameos of Pellistri in the Europa League but any time I have, he's looked decent. Fast, direct energetic. Especially v Betis at home, he helped set up one of the goals by keeping a ball in play that I honestly thought he had no chance of getting. I thought after that, we'd definitely see more of him in the league run in.

All I can say is he must really, really, really stink the joint out in training because he hasn't got a look in since.
Pretty obvious by now that ETH has his favourites. If they have played for him at Ajax, are Dutch or played in the Eredivisie they'll get preferential treatment. That's really the only explanation why Pellistri doesn't get a chance over a consistently disappointing Antony.

If ETH is as big a perfectionist as I feel like he is, I can't even begin to understand how he can cope with another season of De Gea's passing out from the back. Surely he's seen enough? I know I have.

I'm not that worried about "bottling it". The last few weeks we're patched up team, players carrying an injury and no real cover for key players. Even yesterday I thought we looked decent when attacking at times, was close game in terms of xG until the pen. We were dominated because we can barely run at this stage.

My biggest criticism is when Erik went full strength against weak teams and the same squad played every 3 days. I think that's taking a toll now.

Unfortunately Ajax fans warned us this is what he's like, and in a season more compact and crammed than ever, I think its totally wrecked us. It's amazing we coped for so long. But with the injuries, and just how lethargic our best and most reliable players look now, its not rocket science to see why.

What did he promise the board? Are you a member of the board?

I won't respond kindly until you can clarifying your vague statement.
He promised the club to be the manager the club need.
Do I have to be present to know that?

Pretty obvious by now that ETH has his favourites. If they have played for him at Ajax, are Dutch or played in the Eredivisie they'll get preferential treatment. That's really the only explanation why Pellistri doesn't get a chance over a consistently disappointing Antony.
This explains perfectly why Van De Beek was playing so frequently before his injury...

"Fix it by being a manager and do manager stuff" is my favourite quote in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.