Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nonsense. Ten Hag has spent over £200m in just his first season. He's invested in 4 new 1st team players in Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony.
I think he's talking about the totality of their tenure, but that would be a weird comparison because Ten Hag has had a lot to spend for a first season and really should be phrased as having been given more time rather than money spent.

Better ball playing goalkeeper and more press resistant midfielders. Also having 1 week to prep for every game pretty much, train your system, and playing something like 15-18 fewer games throughout the season has a big impact.

Our schedule since August has been game, recovery, short match prep, game. Every single week. It's basically survival mode.

Yep agree. There are certain things that just come down to personnel and this is one of them. We have 0 carriers in midfield and the only real temp setting type is Eriksen who can’t keep up running wise in games like these. Add to that missing our two best CB’s, having De Gea who is a car crash waiting to happen, and playing twice a week for almost 7 months now and I don’t see results like this as being on him. We simply won’t control games against good teams currently.

That being said, his insistence with Weghorst and giving De Gea a new contract are real issues that are absolutely on him. He needs to survive, keep top 4, and nail this summer. No excuses

Even if it was Wout or nothing, the answer is obviously nothing.

He literally provides nothing to the squad. Rashford up top is a miles better option than him.

There were ways to be flexible with the attacking unit.
Moreover, once we've seen enough evidence that Wout is completely out of his depth, he found ways to incorporate him into the team, sometimes as a 10 :lol:, shifting Bruno to the wing.

Spent nothing? Did we pay for Casemiro, Martinez, and Antony with magic beans?
He has spent 220m. Ole spent 440m. So its not nothing.

It’s not really the main point - he’s spent far less than OGS, and achieved more in less than 1 season than OGS did in 3.

This is undeniable. Much Love for OGS, but let’s be fair.

Trophies are what matters. It’s fecking important for a club like Utd to win trophies and OGS had full backing for 3 seasons and returned feck all.

ETH has brought a trophy back to Utd and is in another final (which, IF he wins and stops City’s treble, he’s bordering on legend status…).

It’s undeniable that he’s achieved more than OGS in a fraction of the time with LESS spent.

There are a lot strikers all over the world who would do a job and who would have cost around the same. It doesn't compute that it was Wout or nothing.
Yep it’s clearly nonsense, especially as it was seen as just getting someone in rather than adding any quality.

Absolutely agreed if we don't have funds go for stop gap but renewing De Gea should be non starter .

Why? A better (footballing) keeper than de Gea and the game still ends the same as today. A better striker and we win today. Buying a new striker is much more important than buying a new goalkeeper. Im totally fine with starting another year of de Gea if that means signing an excellent striker and midfielder.

Yup. Isak for instance would've solved our issues up front, and left £20m in change.

It's a shame ETH never "knew him"

We weren't going to sign a striker because we had Ronaldo up front and he refused to leave in the summer for anyone but a UCL team. It was asking a lot for a new manager to come in and instantly force out someone like Ronaldo.

There were reports at the time that we'd agreed a deal to sign Gakpo, but it was contingent on Ronaldo leaving. The Glazers wouldn't release the funds otherwise. If you want to blame anyone for us not signing a striker in the summer, then blame Ronaldo.

And for all the hate Antony gets on here, we didn't have a RW either at the start of the season. Who would you have played? Sancho went AWOL, so that leaves Pellistri and Elanga...Antony hasn't lived up to the price tag, but he's still played a big part in getting us into a position to finish top 4 and win 2 trophies.

What is his other option? We at best reportedly have 100 million to spend, someone like Costa/Maignan will cost 40-60 million, we basically have no striker and need another CM at the very least.

Reportedly, but we can raise funds through player sales.

We will go nowhere until we're more capable at playing out from the back. We will never do this with De Gea.

So when we were constantly giving it away and struggling to keep possession - why wasn’t Eriksen considered??

How is it ever a good move to start Fred over Eriksen? ETH talks a good game but I’m not seeing the football I expected under him (personnel to lane perhaps) and his subs have been poor all season.

So when we were constantly giving it away and struggling to keep possession - why wasn’t Eriksen considered??

How is it ever a good move to start Fred over Eriksen? ETH talks a good game but I’m not seeing the football I expected under him (personnel to lane perhaps) and his subs have been poor all season.

Oh the short memories some of you have. He was literally being praised for his subs for most of the season until the squad was decimated by injuries. We’ve scored the most goals from subs in the league.

Why? A better (footballing) keeper than de Gea and the game still ends the same as today. A better striker and we win today. Buying a new striker is much more important than buying a new goalkeeper. Im totally fine with starting another year of de Gea if that means signing an excellent striker and midfielder.

We probably keep the ball better and they don't come at us with waves and waves of attack in the 2nd half.

It doesn't end the same.

We will go nowhere as a club unless we get better at playing out from the back. Stick prime Xavi in our team and it won't matter much if we just resort to hoofs every time our defense get pressed.

The question is whether it's ETH who earnestly wants DDG as #1 coming into the next season, or he gets responsibility passed onto him with a 100mil budget, and the decision to greenlight or red light for DDG decision.

We how this club run. Some decisions should be handled by the director level gets passed around and ends up ensnaring the manager reputation. Was Mourinho in a situation that he could green light Martial renewal? Or Jones got that extension during the period Ole transiting from interim into permanent?

What is his other option? We at best reportedly have 100 million to spend, someone like Costa/Maignan will cost 40-60 million, we basically have no striker and need another CM at the very least.
We have a bloated squad with plenty of trash to sell. He should be ruthless and send them packing and use it to fund signings in key areas; a striker and keeper. Also not every signing must be £50m+. We have an extensive scouting network, let's use it

Reportedly, but we can raise funds through player sales.

We will go nowhere until we're more capable at playing out from the back. We will never do this with De Gea.

I agree, but then what happens to our squad depth? I just feel if we don't have the resources we are going to struggle to get a strong 16 players.

Moreover, once we've seen enough evidence that Wout is completely out of his depth, he found ways to incorporate him into the team, sometimes as a 10 :lol:, shifting Bruno to the wing.

There is simply no defense for him playing and that was a shocking decision from ETH.

He shifted our most creative player out wide to accommodate Weghorst. Awful management and I hope it doesn't happen again.

Murtough doesn’t know anything about building a team though so he has to be reliant on the manager. Until we get new owners and new staff the manager will be calling the shots as there is no one else to do it.

I can't comment on Murtough's squad building abilities , but one thing is for certain United need to get past this mindset of Manager having final say in recruitment .

I agree, but then what happens to our squad depth? I just feel if we don't have the resources we are going to struggle to get a strong 16 players.

Maguire, Van De Beek and McTominay aren't playing much anyways.

I still think squad depth is generally overrated, but maybe some young players make the step up.

Maybe you know who somehow returns to the squad and we sell an attacker to raise more funds.

Oh the short memories some of you have. He was literally being praised for his subs for most of the season until the squad was decimated by injuries. We’ve scored the most goals from subs in the league.
Really? Seem to remember more criticism of subs than anything.

On the Eriksen point, do you think it was the right decision not to bring him on? How about starting Fred over him?

Henderson as a stop-gap for one season. Not a great solution, but renewing De Gea for 3 years (as has been rumored) will hold us back for several seasons.

He didn't rest players when he could

and I'm sure if he had gone

Garnacho-Elanga-Pellistri
------------------Sabitzer
-------------Fred---McTominay
Malacia-Lindelof-Maguire-Dalot
-------------------Heaton

and we lost 3-1 to someone like Leicester at home you wouldn't at all question him resting and rotating, right?

Maybe our manager shouldn't have pushed to sign Antony for a good portion of the budget.
ETH doesn't have a say about transfer fee. He may want Antony, doesn't mean the club had to buy him if they can offer an alternative via scouting players with same profile. The issue runs deeper.

We all can smell ETH wants Antony even before ETH himself confirmed as our manager. The director did nothing. Was waiting for ETH to have pre season to assess the squad and potential of Sancho as eight wing attacker. Samcho did well pre season, but then 2 games into PL, the panic button was pressed.

A DoF can himself assess Sancho performance data from last season. Should have come up with back plan of alternative for player like Antony just in case. We had zero when push come to shove, so had to overpay for Antony. Even Arnautovic was a CF target that likely suggested by ETH due to familiarity.

Even Klopp, Pep being pushed to make up transfer list (not transfer profile) would have trouble.

and we lost 3-1 to someone like Leicester at home you wouldn't at all question him resting and rotating, right?

No one asked for resting the entire 11 players in a game. This is just a clueless post.

A manager who is actually good at managing squads will know to rotate his key players regularly from game to game, not playing the same 11 every single game and at the same not going fully suicidal with a full bench option just to rest the.

You know, managers are getting paid for things like these.

Lets not act more numb than necessary. Rotation obviously doesn't mean switch all players every other game. Replace a starter each game. If needed sub him in. If not, he got rested. If game goes well, you might have a chance to rest another one.

This is nonsense. Ten Hag has spent over £200m in just his first season. He's invested in 4 new 1st team players in Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony.

Had to replace a lot of players that left though, and came into a squad made of a hodgepodge of signings made by different managers, with no real thought to an overarching style.

He's having to try and lay the foundations after the walls have already been put up, and each wall is made of a different material and to a different height, so the roof doesn't fit properly.

Any more updates from the training room you clearly have access to?
:lol: So it’s alright to say he can’t play because he played 3 times in a week (11 days with 0 times playing 90 mins) but you have to be in the dressing room to know that a player on the bench is available.

This 100 mill to spend is bullshit. Whoever takes over will want to make a statement first window. We will be hampered by the best players leaving their clubs most will already have agreed a move, before we start, but still expect 4/5 in and a few going out.

With English my second language, I'm somewhat reliant for my vocabulary on American movies. So I hope you've got the perspective to look beyond that.

I see you take on a different tone when pressed. A tactic from aggressive posters on message boards called motte and bailey; the poster puts out an inflammatory opinion, only to retreat to a more reasonable take when put under pressure. Fair enough, and I'll concede that I went for a hyperbole with "I'm only seeing meltdowns".

The drive of my point is that the mentality at the club needs changing. Ferguson has been at the heart of United for many years, if you'd rather not discuss that than I'm not sure where to start.

All good - I've learned plenty things through media - and it wasn't a serious remark, I just thought that sentence sounded like something a sensei or something would say.

I legitimately have no clue what the hell you're on about :confused: motte and bailey? what the feck. My tone hasn't changed - you can easily go back the quotes and see I've not posted anything inflammatory - are you OK? This started with someone being preemptively ultra defensive of Ten Hag and me asking them if they wanted people to pretend this was OK - that poster then went on to label folks criticising Ten Hag as "petulant brats", to which I replied that's odd. You then interjected with a nonsensical gotcha attempt because overall the sentiment of this thread has been positive regarding this manager - this then lead to your hyperbole about only seeing meltdowns - which I said it's not reflective of what's happening in this thread. I mean, the posts are documented right there and you can go through them.

This exchange has completely jumped the shark - "a tactic from aggressive posters - motte and bailey" :lol: aye bruv I didn't even know there's a dungeon and dragons guide for message boards.That's crazy

Back on topic - I wouldn't trust Ten Hag to dictate our recruitment this summer.

I don’t understand why he is refusing to play a midfield of Eriksen, Casemiro and Fred/McTominay when we are in trouble in midfield and the front four isn’t working.

The game against Brighton just got worse the longer the game went on and yet EtH made only 3 subs and basically zero adjustments. It was 1 for 1 subs. I thought this was the perfect game to stack the midfield. Our front four sucked anyway so we could easily move Bruno to the right or left and Rashford up top or take off Antony.

I just can’t understand why anyone can look at how the game is going and thinking that Sabitzer, Sancho and Weghorst is the answer. We just asked to get dominated even more with those subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.