Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe for one second that in the entire world of serviceable strikers, only Wout was available
For the amount of money we were willing to spend in January, it appears he was. We weren't willing to spend the £10m more to bring Felix in, so who would you have got in for £3-5m in January?

Explain why we're trying to extend De Gea's contract when he's such a hindrance to the way Ten Hag wants to play? I agree btw, but I can't fathom why the rumours aren't about us letting De Gea leave when he's clearly a problem
I gave my opinion on that topic yesterday. The post quoted below is my opinion on the matter. And for me Manchester United's biggest problem is that our first phase is weak against teams who are technically strong on the ball and who press in a compact high block, which means we can't play through the press like Brighton comfortably did. And we thus surrender possession too easily and find it difficult to get out of our own half.

A positional play coach who aims to play the game in the opponent's half will be hamstrung if he inherits first teams starters who are weak on the ball. And that's a fundamental weakness for a coach who looks to implement positional play in a vertical axis.

I think the only reason ten Hag would keep him around is due to him being a positive dressing room influence if we're to go off reports in the media. EtH even wanted to keep Matic around for another year due to his positive influence in the dressing room.

But I do hope we can move on from DDG. And hopefully we look to buy a keeper who best suits the playstyle we're trying to develop. A proactive keeper who looks to dominate his area and raises the level of the build up phase, will make a big difference imo. I've been wanting a goalkeeper like that for many years now and there's even posts on here about me wanting Mike Maignan, 5 years ago when he was at Lille.

It's not difficult to bring in the right players but we have to first take off the shackles that are stopping us from evolving into a proactive attacking team. DDG is a inherited problem for the current regime and I wouldn't be surprised if he's released next month because the reports about him being close to signing a new contract have been around since last year. And the latest one being that the club is 'aiming' to give him a new contract before his current one expires next month.

To be honest this is a post that could have been made every year for the past decade.

Unfortunately that is very true, no one has ever been able to get rid of enough players or bring in right players for their system.

We are basically what we’ve always been in almost every season post SAF, a team that will get 65-70 points and might finish top 4, never evolved beyond that.

No dramatics here. Antony is an absolute fraud. To only have 4 PL goals and 1 assist by May is laughable. Dan James did better than that and he didn't cost 85m + future installments which may total 100m.

I might be mistaken but I don't see you criticising Sancho much. Was it because Ole brought him here? And you dare not say anything that could put him in bad light.

And no, Dan James was completely fecking useless.

You think 1 point in 8 away games is acceptable?

I think that your mention of Ole is ridiculous. Ole is a disaster of a manager. Ole is a Lampard level manager but yet you bring him up and dare to claim ''this is not much better than Ole''. I have full confidence that ETH will change the squad up and improve on his current away top 9 form.

Or maybe Solskjaer was Ten Hag with a good away record?

Our good times under both managers are pretty even right now.

The difference being ETH has won a trophy in his first season and spent basically nothing in comparison to Solskjaer and dealt with Ronaldo…

Whereas OGS won zero trophies in 3 years and spent hundreds of millions and had a functional Ronaldo.

I have serious questions about ETH (see my posts in this thread), but it’s important to be fair in the OGS comparisons.

He’s achieved more, tangibly, in less than 1 season than OGS did in 3 seasons.

Don't think you could ever muster up a post without having a dig at Antony :rolleyes:

Wasn't even that bad today. Agenda much?

4 goals and 1 PL assist and we now in May.

This fanbase will literally destroy Rashford for one bad game despite the fact that without him we'd not even be top half.

Antony has been an absolute disastrous signing. It's time people woke up. He's slow, predictable and ineffective.

4 goals and 1 PL assist and we now in May.

This fanbase will literally destroy Rashford for one bad game despite the fact that without him we'd not even be top half.

Antony has been an absolute disastrous signing. It's time people woke up. He's slow, predictable and ineffective.
Can't see it happening to be honest

The difference being ETH has won a trophy in his first season and spent basically nothing and dealt with Ronaldo…

Whereas OGS won zero trophies in 3 years and spent hundreds of millions and had a functional Ronaldo.

I have serious questions about ETH (see my posts on this thread), but it’s important to be fair in the OGS comparisons.

Spent nothing? Did we pay for Casemiro, Martinez, and Antony with magic beans?

Let's be fair, he was given Weghorst because he wanted him. I'm sure he wasn't his first choice, probably not even 2nd or 3rd, but he was clearly on a list, which is quite staggering, as he's possibly the worst striker I've seen play for us in my lifetime.
To be counter-fair (is that even a term? Actually who cares, I'm owning it) my list of "freebie shags" that I've agreed with my missus is:

1) Holly Peers
2) Scarlett Johansson
3) Kate Beckinsale
4) Cina's mum

Now, as you can see there's quite clearly a drop off in quality between 3 and 4. But Cina's mum can be categorised as "worst case scenario, but her reputation is known to me and it's better than just wanking myself off in the toilet listening to Steely Dan whilst wearing my Batman costume."

Just get him as far away as possible from selecting who should join the squad and who should get contract extensions.

I feel if given a set of players who can truly play his style of football he will produce but the man is absolutely blinded by certain qualities he sees in some players even if they are totally the wrong fit.

How can he justify wanting to give DDG an extension if he can't pass to save his life. He adores Bruno but he's a bang average possession player. He allows Casemiro the freedom to pass the ball like he's Xabi Alonso. Continues to play Weghorst when it couldn't be clearer he's the biggest liability we've ever had in attack.

Murtough needs to gut this team for him and recreate a squad suited to his style because Ten Hag will not do it and will keep stubbornly trying to win games with players not fit for him.

Would agree with this and I've been saying it.

There should be a transfer committee that decides who gets brought in.

We have problems in build up that if not solved we won't win the league, yes. We also have much bigger goalscoring issues where we are literally mid table in the league with our current forwards.
A lot of that goal scoring issue is down to poor middle 3rd play though, if you consistently concede turnovers, or bypass the midfield completely, you aren’t generating the volume of chances needed for a high scoring team. We were admittedly wasteful today, but take the City - Arse game for instance, the best striker in the league, possibly the world, missed 2 1on1s against Ramsdale, and his team were up 3-1 before he got his goal. We had 3 or 4 decent chances in the 1st half then that’s it, we just stopped creating as midfield control was completely lost.

If you look ar Arsenal, I don’t think their forward line is particularly more clinical than ours, but they just generate so much more chances through possession and relentless pressure. We would alleviate our goalscoring issue with a top striker, but if we don’t fix our build up and midfield then I think what will happen is a lot of the goals the new striker score will just be taken from the tally of our midfield or wide forwards.

The difference being ETH has won a trophy in his first season and spent basically nothing and dealt with Ronaldo…

I have serious questions about ETH (see my posts in this thread), but it’s important to be fair in the OGS comparisons.

He has spent 220m. Ole spent 440m. So its not nothing.

For people saying Wout was the only option that’s clearly nonsense. You could get a striker from Scotland for example for under £1m who would have made exactly the same impact. There are always 100s of options for players, especially at that desperate stage.

I think he was when we essentially had no money. He’d also just come off the back of a decent WC.
For the amount of money we were willing to spend in January, it appears he was. We weren't willing to spend the £10m more to bring Felix in, so who would you have got in for £3-5m in January?

A lot of strikers from Ligue 1/Ligue 2 would do a better job (despite being average) than Wout.
If your scouting system ends up finding Wout as the only available player then they should all be fired but that's one thing.
ETH persisting with the worst striker in the PL is a crime against football basically :lol:

I gave my opinion on that topic yesterday. The post quoted below is my opinion on the matter. And for me Manchester United's biggest problem is that our first phase is weak against teams who are technically strong on the ball and who press in a compact high block, which means we can't play through the press like Brighton comfortably did. And we thus surrender possession too easily and find it difficult to get out of our own half.

A positional play coach who aims to play the game in the opponent's half will be hamstrung if he inherits first teams starters who are weak on the ball. And that's a fundamental weakness for a coach who looks to implement positional play in a vertical axis.

I truly hope we're in the market for a new #1, but I think De Gea will be our starting keeper again next season and we'll have the same issues.

Then it's his funeral by all means next season .

Jokes apart it shouldn't even be his decision to make Murtough and co need to get handle on things .

If he wants De Gea to be the #1 next season, he should get overruled.

I might be mistaken but I don't see you criticising Sancho much. Was it because Ole brought him here? And you dare not say anything that could put him in bad light.

And no, Dan James was completely fecking useless.

I criticise Sancho all the time. He's awful too.

I actually was called out for saying he wasn't that good before he even joined. People were telling me Rashford's days were finished because of Sancho.

Both have been disastrous signings.

For people saying Wout was the only option that’s clearly nonsense. You could get a striker from Scotland for example for under £1m who would have made exactly the same impact. There are always 100s of options for players, especially at that desperate stage.
There are a lot strikers all over the world who would do a job and who would have cost around the same. It doesn't compute that it was Wout or nothing.

Then it's his funeral by all means next season .

Jokes apart it shouldn't even be his decision to make Murtough and co need to get handle on things .

Murtough doesn’t know anything about building a team though so he has to be reliant on the manager. Until we get new owners and new staff the manager will be calling the shots as there is no one else to do it.

I'm sorry but he spent 250m in the summer. There's not a never ending pot of money.

Maybe he shouldn't have spent 84m on the Brazilian Mark Albrighton and invested it into a world class striker instead.

Yup. Isak for instance would've solved our issues up front, and left £20m in change.

It's a shame ETH never "knew him"

Our pressing is dire……

A large part of that, is the players we have just don’t have the natural inclination, desire, intent, aggression or physical ability to press properly and with real purpose.
Too many of our forwards look good with the ball, but are rubbish without it.
ETH has had them pressing more positively at times, but they soon give up during the game and resort to lazy half arsed non- effort.
We are a soft team.

There are a lot strikers all over the world who would do a job and who would have cost around the same. It doesn't compute that it was Wout or nothing.
Danny Ings came to West Ham on loan on a free methinks, and already had 2 PL goals thus far.

Granted, he is warming their bench most of the time, and those two goals came in a single match, but still...

Even if it was Wout or nothing, the answer is obviously nothing.

He literally provides nothing to the squad. Rashford up top is a miles better option than him.

There were ways to be flexible with the attacking unit.

Ten Hag being far better than Ole isn't a question.

The question is if he has actually shown he's good enough to challenge for the league in the future and so far he hasn't shown any signs of being capable of this.

We are moaning because we had a fixture congestion meanwhile we think we are going to challenge for the league in any upcoming season or win major trophies without facing routine things like injuries, fatigue and condensed schedule. If you want to challenge or win big things you are bound to face such hardships, yet we are treating these as if they are dealbreakers and good enough excuses for looking as pathetic as this every week.

Jury is still on Ten Hag as a top manager. He has proved he's good enough for top 4 finishes and winning some minor cup. Let's see if he's cut from the same clothes as the elite managers.

Murtough doesn’t know anything about building a team though so he has to be reliant on the manager. Until we get new owners and new staff the manager will be calling the shots as there is no one else to do it.

And that is how we never progress.

Hopefully the sale process gets finalized soon.

If Ten Hag has full say on incomings, I'd worry again though.

Ten Hag wants De Gea to stay by certain reports.

What is his other option? We at best reportedly have 100 million to spend, someone like Costa/Maignan will cost 40-60 million, we basically have no striker and need another CM at the very least.

The difference being ETH has won a trophy in his first season and spent basically nothing in comparison to Solskjaer and dealt with Ronaldo…

This is nonsense. Ten Hag has spent over £200m in just his first season. He's invested in 4 new 1st team players in Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Antony.

It's just concerning. People keep talking about Ten Hag sacrificing and reverting to pragmatism, but by all accounts, he wants De Gea to stay. He insisted in bringing in Weghorst and then playing him almost every game.
Even with that being the case (de Gea), it doesn't change the fact that he went pragmatic as soon as the Liverpool match. How else do you explain de Gea changing from trying to play out from the back, to completely switching it up to hoofing it every chance he got?

And for the record, his managing of the squad to face the issue of fixture congestion and accumulating fatigue has been godawful this season. He didn't rest players when he could and now he can't even rest anyone because he ran most of the players into ground earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.