Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Validates what I saw with my own eyes. Don’t get what people saying we were unlucky watched. The second half was tough viewing and I’m a big fan of ETH. As I said a few weeks back - he’s going to be defined by how ruthless we are. So many of these players need to go for us to play at the level we need to be.
Explain why the xG data backs this statement up

Keep convincing yourself that.
Fixture congestion is an obvious problem. We haven't had a midweek off since August. We visibly get worse in 2nd halves pretty often and as the games drag on. That doesn't excuse our shit away record to decent sides, but there are reasons for it, and fatigue plays a part, as does not having a striker, as does ten hag needing to adjust things.

Most clubs (and all the big ones) have a structure in place where the manager is part of the machinery, and not even that important (sure Pep is another matter, but I think City would be quite good, although not as good without him). That's why managers come and go, but ultimately are easily replaceable (see Brighton whose manager changed in September).

United does not have such a structure and the manager is the club. This makes things weird because it is destined to ultimately fail, but at the same time creates a God-cult for the manager from fans, which needlessly extends their spells here. It also doesn't help that we haven't been that great at picking managers, and we are always late at sacking them.
This. Even with the Pep example, City hired Txiki and started putting the infrastructure in place for him years before they hired him.

Why does he play Wout?

If we have nobody else, if his squad is so bad he cannot find anyone better than Wout, then he should give a start to a kid from the academy. Even if we lose, we'd say he tried something. He doesn't even try anything, he is doing the same thing again and again, with the same results. Wout is a failed loan, do not play him ever again, no matter how few choices we have.
As if you'd give him a pass if he plucked someone from the academy :lol:

Honestly, if you swapped managers, ten Hag would have that Brighton team destroying us under De Zerbi. Erik is a better coach but, and this mental to say, Brighton have the better players to play a dominating game.

Look at how many players they have who can carry the ball, shield it under pressure, turn away from opposition players, etc. Pretty much their entire midfield and attack is of that ilk of player whereas we have no one. Martial when on top form is that player, but that's rare nowadays, and Rashford is great but is a direct forward rather than a press resistant type. Garnacho is that type but I'm just talking about this game.

Our recruitment strategy needs a complete overhaul. There are so many of these players out there we can get but we keep going for lightweight, moment players who come out with a good goal, assist, pass, whatever, instead of focusing on their general play.

Brighton have got some cracking players - none of these names would have stood out yet they fit really well into the team - why are our scouts not unearthing these hidden gems?

Using common sense means admitting we have been crap away from home the entire season and not just last month.

But it's hopeless arguing "common sense" with someone who thinks saying "go play FIFA" to end a post makes him look so cool.

Who gives two bits of s*** what happened earlier in the season. You, a human being with a functioning brain, think playing midweek for almost six months straight should not effect the players. Who the feck are you and what have you done in your life that you get to criticize players that have gone through this.

Fixture congestion is an obvious problem. We haven't had a midweek off since August. We visibly get worse in 2nd halves pretty often and as the games drag on. That doesn't excuse our shit away record to decent sides, but there are reasons for it, and fatigue plays a part, as does not having a striker, as does ten hag needing to adjust things.

No one is saying fatigue isn't a factor. Convincing ourselves it's the only reason we have been godawful for last 3 months is just burying our heads in the sands.

And then we watch games and we realize it's nit just end-of-season objectives, as a fan, if your team brings you no joy from watching it then it's frustrating.
I don't watch football just so that the club meets its objectives, I have FM for this kinda shit
If today's game didn' t bring you any joy, you should stop watching football. Or your full of shit and it's all about the end result.

Joe and Ole were heavily criticised on here for lack of rotation. ETH should be no different. If we are running out if steam its on him. We should have prioritised the league. League cups,Europa Leagues or FA cups won't cut it long term.
I think he has been caught out here, with the amount of fixtures and the state of the squad. (lack of depth, lack of striker etc) . Really disapointed and he has to take reponsibilty.

Oh sorry, I forget that the other teams are playing once per week.
Brighton have played 41 games this season.
We've played 56.

I think we've played the most games in English football. With a squad beyond the first XI that can't really be trusted, not for ability nor mentality.

You can't pretend the number of games on a small trusted group of players isn't having an affect. Luckily, after this week we do only play once a week for a little while which hopefully gives us the rest we need for the final. Just get top 4 sorted as soon as possible.

His obsession with Wout is making me seriously question him.

Just WHY??? He offers NOTHING, and actually hinders us. We owe him feck all, he's a loan player, he should have been sent back to Burnley

Yet he persists in giving him minutes

If he signs him permanently....

He played him for like 6 minutes when we needed more legs.

Who gives two bits of s*** what happened earlier in the season. You, a human being with a functioning brain, think playing midweek for almost six months straight should not effect the players. Who the feck are you and what have you done in your life that you get to criticize players that have gone through this.
Because there is nothing unique about us playing these many games.

City is playing these many games too and looks amazing. Liverpool (who also do not have massive depth) played 63 matches last season, won the two domestic Cups, almost won UCL and got 92 points in the league.

If today's game didn' t bring you any joy, you should stop watching football. Or your full of shit and it's all about the end result.
2nd half certainly didn't bring me any joy, if it did for you then you're fecking crazy and you should get yourself checked out. How tf am I supposed to find pleasure in a game where a team is battering mine :wenger:

Can't compare Klopp to ETH, big difference in class. What Klopp did in Germany was great and showed clear ideas as soon as he came in.

We're not getting the vision I expected from ETH and has at times managed things badly. Could be down to the huge amount of games, but you can argue it was naive to strong teams in almost every game early on.

Plus, I don't think ETH is ruthless like Pep or Klopp.

Let's see how the season ends, top 4 is must. Then I will be interested to see what he does with DDG, that for me would be very telling.
Why was it naive to go strong early? We STILL can afford to lose 2 of our last 5 games and still achieve our league target, we are still in an FA Cup final and we still won the league Cup. Like people are criticizing him for choosing to not rotate much earlier (he subbed players off often), as if that would change the fact that we've played the most games in Europe, and while ignoring the fact that him doing that meant we won a trophy, are in another cup final and are still firmly in the driver seat to achieve our league objective. Who gives a feck if the points are won in November, February or April? What's important is the final table, and the trophies won ultimately.

Brighton have got some cracking players - none of these names would have stood out yet they fit really well into the team - why are our scouts not unearthing these hidden gems?
By all accounts our scouts have been marginalized and overruled over the years

Is this for real ? If it's a common problem for the entire season it means it's not just down to fatigue that we're shit away from home.

So you want to delete the first part of the season from existence and just focus on the last few months because that's the one you can give excuses ?

Who are you to question me as a person ? I'm a goddamn doctor who takes night-time shifts regularly. Converting this discussion into personal attack says everything about you.

"Common sense" my ass.

I'm getting a bit concerned tbh. ETH has some top players that Ole didn't have, and we're scoring significantly less goals, while our possession hasn't improved either. I understand that ETH needed to be practical at the start of the season, but I expected to see a lot more progress in terms of our ability to keep the ball and create chances by now.

Honestly, if you swapped managers, ten Hag would have that Brighton team destroying us under De Zerbi. Erik is a better coach but, and this mental to say, Brighton have the better players to play a dominating game.

Look at how many players they have who can carry the ball, shield it under pressure, turn away from opposition players, etc. Pretty much their entire midfield and attack is of that ilk of player whereas we have no one. Martial when on top form is that player, but that's rare nowadays, and Rashford is great but is a direct forward rather than a press resistant type. Garnacho is that type but I'm just talking about this game.

Our recruitment strategy needs a complete overhaul. There are so many of these players out there we can get but we keep going for lightweight, moment players who come out with a good goal, assist, pass, whatever, instead of focusing on their general play.
Bet you if we bought 2 or 3 players from Brighton they'd look crap. I don't have an answer as to why, but there's something rotten at the core of this club. We're a graveyard for players and managers alike

Forgot the pen was included but I’d bet about 70% of ours was in the first half.
Yeah ours was almost entirely 1st half, but still even game overall, decided by a dumb last second handball from a corner that should never have happened given they dived to win the foul, but anyway. Matters little ultimately, draw or loss at this point is more just an ego thing and has 0 to do with our progression and pretty much no impact on our top 4 chances.

Fair enough. But then you have Brighton* and Newcastle* who actually can pass, and one might wonder if the players are not the only problem.

* Both with managers who didn't need more than two weeks to have the team playing nice football. Unlike United where the first year is for manager to 'learn'.
I give him some leeway, because we looked good in possession in preseason, but then with the same tactics the players could not cope with it in a way that is abnormal. This immediate regression is what makes me believe I can't blame Ten Hag in regards to our possession play. Might be naive, but I think seeing immediate regression from what could only be a fragile mentality in some players makes me want to give him another preseason.

It's been clear from the Liverpool match (3rd match) that we've been pragmatic since those opening 2 fixtures. We've slowly allowed de Gea to pass from the back (on only the easiest of pressures), which is the extent to which we have ventured into.

I don't expect us to go beyond that this season. Most managers don't feel like they have enough time during the season to instill new tactics. Especially not United with our congested fixture list. We could have maybe done more before the WC to get back to what we wanted to do in preseason, but maybe Ten Hag did not trust our current players to carry out those instructions before building up even more confidence.

I will be the first to criticize Ten Hag next season if even after bringing in new players, and another preseason we still look the same.

The only criticism I really have is his faith in Wout, the opening 15 min of every 2nd half (when legs should not be as done as say the final 25 minutes or so), and maybe being too conservative recently in the last 10 minutes of matches. Then again, we're already at the end of the season and it's hard to get that upset when we're only like 3 wins away from securing top 4.

Is this for real ? If it's a common problem for the entire season it means it's not just down to fatigue that we're shit away from home.

So you want to delete the first part of the season from existence and just focus on the last few months because that's the one you can give excuses ?

Who are you to question me as a person ? I'm a goddamn doctor who takes night-time shifts regularly. Converting this discussion into personal attack says everything about you.

"Common sense" my ass.
Congrats. You'd be dead in two weeks if you had to play 2-3 matches a week.

Weghorst is Ten Hag's version of Fellaini, I still maintain he is doing a good job under difficult circumstances, both first choice central defenders missing, no genuine striker, and a takeover process that is now probably undermining him and impacting negatively over the whole club.

Brighton have played 41 games this season.
We've played 56.

I think we've played the most games in English football. With a squad beyond the first XI that can't really be trusted, not for ability nor mentality.

You can't pretend the number of games on a small trusted group of players isn't having an affect. Luckily, after this week we do only play once a week for a little while which hopefully gives us the rest we need for the final. Just get top 4 sorted as soon as possible.
Why not use City (this season) or Liverpool (last season) who played as many games (in the case of Liverpool more than we can play this season), and you know, didn't look totally clueless?

Brighton also cost a fraction of our squad, and changed managers in September. Imagine the defense here if ten Hag didn't have a pre-season, let alone had to come mid-season.

Anyone putting this one on him is a moron to the highest order. ETH coached a W. Not this fault when players can't finish or Marriner looks for any little chance to blow his whistle against us for a foul. That penalty came directly from Marriner calling a clear dive a foul and giving a free kick

I'm getting a bit concerned tbh. ETH has some top players that Ole didn't have, and we're scoring significantly less goals, while our possession hasn't improved either. I understand that ETH needed to be practical at the start of the season, but I expected to see a lot more progress in terms of our ability to keep the ball and create chances by now.
Ole had Greenwood, Cavani and Martial when he was of any use.

Keep convincing yourself that.

It was true though. Playing Bruno, Rashford and co every single game and not even taking them off when we were winning fairly comfortably was ridiculous. Everyone was saying at the time

Players clearout this summer or he'll have serious problems in achieving any form of consistent football.

That second half was appalling. No matter how little you can blame him for how we lost it in the very end, the way we played was dog shit. We look knackered, so use the squad, even if there's a noticeable gap in quality, we're just dying on our feet in mot games.

The other thing most of the numpties don't seem to consider is that we've been out of Europe of two weeks and we're still playing the awful Thursday-Sunday rotation. That's how bad our scheduling has been. We literally played one PL game in September for heavens sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.