Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETH needs to work really hard on defence. The way we leak goals in certain matches is very concerning. Sometimes parking the bus can be a useful tool.

Do you mean the 1 year extension thing or like a whole now deal?
If its a new deal then we're in trouble in my opinion if he's our 1st team gk for the next 2-3 years.
New deal. The 1 year extension is a club option which would trigger on identical terms as to what he’s on now - we won’t do that.

Agreed, though — like many have said I genuinely think retaining De Gea will break any chance of ten Hag’s successes here.

I wonder how ruthless he will be in the summer. He doesn’t seem cutthroat to me, almost too paly-paly, and I worry he’ll want to keep the likes of DDG and Weghorst just because they’re good little bees.

I wonder how ruthless he will be in the summer. He doesn’t seem cutthroat to me, almost too paly-paly, and I worry he’ll want to keep the likes of DDG and Weghorst just because they’re good little bees.
You know nothing about him then.

He sent the worlds biggest prima donna packing to Saudi mate I don't think he will care what DDG or Weghorst say/do.

His biggest trait is he is cut throat!

its not his choice, whos buying our players on stupid contracts?

We’ve been negotiating a new deal supposedly but he’s not happy with what we’ve offered. If he doesn’t take that I don’t think the club will up it — think it’s in his court

Sounds like the clubs way of saying he can stay but on certain terms? Lower wages as part of the overall "re-structure" of the wage-structure, and perhaps some clarity of expectations that he will have to compete with a new GK? If he declines, ok. Well find a new more suitable one

ETH needs to work really hard on defence. The way we leak goals in certain matches is very concerning. Sometimes parking the bus can be a useful tool.
Our lack of goals has been baffling and once again our biggest problems. We have scored 30 less goals than Arsenal, they have 77, we have 46. Same problem we have had for about 10 years. Our defense is problematic but nowhere near our lack of goals.

Our lack of goals has been baffling and once again our biggest problems. We have scored 30 less goals than Arsenal, they have 77, we have 46. Same problem we have had for about 10 years. Our defense is problematic but nowhere near our lack of goals.

Both have the same cause surely?

Ball retention.

Both have the same cause surely?

Ball retention.
Maybe better described as quality of players at disposal, but also coaching? How much have we actually progressed in chance creation I am not sure, despite the eye test telling me that we have been on overall, better. Still nights like our last match we look so bad.

New deal. The 1 year extension is a club option which would trigger on identical terms as to what he’s on now - we won’t do that.

Agreed, though — like many have said I genuinely think retaining De Gea will break any chance of ten Hag’s successes here.
Agreed. Even with Varane and Martinez we leak goals. We'll always be poor defensively with him in goal and it will be ETHs undoing.

Maybe better described as quality of players at disposal, but also coaching? How much have we actually progressed in chance creation I am not sure, despite the eye test telling me that we have been on overall, better. Still nights like our last match we look so bad.
When we have the majority of players available we do look so much better than we have in previous seasons. It's no excuse for losing in the manner we did but we were missing half of our first team for the second leg of the Sevilla tie, as well as Garnacho who has been far more effective from the bench than Jadon Sancho ever has been.

What we do this summer will likely determine the success Ten Hag has here. I think he's made some concessions on some of his principles so far because it's not possible to overhaul an entire team in one year. Significant upgrades in goal, midfield and up front are the bare minimum this summer - if we get them, and maybe one or two more signings, I think we'll be in far better shape next year.

When we have the majority of players available we do look so much better than we have in previous seasons. It's no excuse for losing in the manner we did but we were missing half of our first team for the second leg of the Sevilla tie, as well as Garnacho who has been far more effective from the bench than Jadon Sancho ever has been.

What we do this summer will likely determine the success Ten Hag has here. I think he's made some concessions on some of his principles so far because it's not possible to overhaul an entire team in one year. Significant upgrades in goal, midfield and up front are the bare minimum this summer - if we get them, and maybe one or two more signings, I think we'll be in far better shape next year.
I have doubts, we have scored 46, if we continue in this manner we won't breach past 60 goals, which to me is abysmal. Now add to that how much of that goal scoring output is on Rashford, we seriously look uninspiring.

I have doubts, we have scored 46, if we continue in this manner we won't breach past 60 goals, which to me is abysmal. Now add to that how much of that goal scoring output is on Rashford, we seriously look uninspiring.
Well we haven't had a striker for the majority of the season. Martial has started 8 league games for us this season, the majority of the others were some hotchpotch involving Ronaldo, Weghorst or even Eriksen as a false 9 on the opening day.

We talking about the same manager here ?

He immediately demoted our captain and England golden boy to the bench. He immediately dropped AWB and Shaw for Dalot and Malacia until they started showing that they were up for it. He handled the Ronaldo situation superbly. I don't think ruthlessness is something we have to worry about with ETH. I'm sure that internally he wishes he could banish more of these players, but with the lack of options he has to grit his teeth and get on with them.

I think you're taking his interviews on certain players seriously

This can't be real.

Guy has started rambling like a madman.

fecking hell, have a bit of respect. Anyone would think we were in mid-table, not 3rd place with a trophy in the bag and a semi-final to play tomorrow.

Do you not think he's just trying to build up Maguire's confidence after Thursday's shitshow, and ahead of the run-in where he's likely to play in pretty much every game??

Guy has started rambling like a madman.

The question he was answering was basically "what does Harry Maguire provide in a positive sense, we know he's had some bad form but what is he good at". Maybe listen to the presser rather than judge out of context quotes?

Ruthlessness is dependent on money available which is out of his control. So he prioritizes however he feels is best on average for the team over a season.

That's probably overly dramatic, I think.

De Gea being our #1 next season shouldn't be a major problem for ETH. Because realistically ETH is in no trouble at all as long as we finish within the top four, which we should be able to do even with Dave in goal. Particularly as we'll have improved several other key weaknesses, CF most obviously.

De Gea being #1 longer term than that would be a problem, because a certain point you need to achieve more than top four. But giving De Gea a new contract on lower terms now doesn't mean you can't sell/bench him later.

As long as Dave renewing is just a case of kicking the can down the road for a year, it's not the end of the world. What would kill ETH is actually sticking with him as #1 longer term.

We have had striker issues, to put it mildly.

kinda wonder what offer they have made to DDG. Could very well be that he is being "played". He might be offered way lower wages. If he doesn't accept it they can blame it on his greed. If he does accept it we could still get another keeper and let them fight for it.

ETH also seems ruthless enough to me but what he says externally might very well be way more positive than the message he's conveying internally.

De Gea being our #1 next season shouldn't be a major problem for ETH. Because realistically ETH is in no trouble at all as long as we finish within the top four, which we should be able to do even with Dave in goal. Particularly as we'll have improved several other key weaknesses, CF most obviously.

De Gea being #1 longer term than that would be a problem, because a certain point you need to achieve more than top four. But giving De Gea a new contract on lower terms now doesn't mean you can't sell/bench him later.

As long as Dave renewing is just a case of kicking the can down the road for a year, it's not the end of the world. What would kill ETH is actually sticking with him as #1 longer term.
Successes. His job security is fine. We’re a very forgiving club - every manager post-SAF has long outstayed their welcome.

fecking hell, have a bit of respect. Anyone would think we were in mid-table, not 3rd place with a trophy in the bag and a semi-final to play tomorrow.

Do you not think he's just trying to build up Maguire's confidence after Thursday's shitshow, and ahead of the run-in where he's likely to play in pretty much every game??
Thanks for being level-headed.

Totally agree. The only problem is how much fund does he get. I hope he get all his target in early so that they can have full pre-season. We Will definitely start well when that happen. Keeping the core players with 2-3 tweaks is likely to improve our game. Caceido, K Min Jea and 1 good striker into XI would be great.

Exactly the most important thing right now is to get 4 PL wins which I believe gives us CL football. We have major injuries and some players who know their be out the door won’t try. Others are deluded and think they are world class when they would struggle in Championship.

However I would be extremely excited by this team and bench for PL next season, remember the bench is now 9 players and 5 subs which is why it’s so
Important ;

M Maignan(GK), Frimpong , Varane or K Min Jae, L Martinez, L Shaw, Casemeiro, Caciedo, Bruno, Antony, R Hojlund, M Rashford

Subs - D De Gea, Varane or KMJ, Dalot, C Eriksen, S Mctominay, A Dialo, M Kudas, Garnaucho, E Ferguson,

Squad of 20/ 6 HG
Rest of Squad - T Heaton(HG), Ndicka(Free) LCB, Martial (prob injured)
K Mainoo(HG), J Sancho(HG) no one paying his wages, T Malacia under pressure from A Fernandes,
Shea Lacey (next big thing) HG 16/17 will start to come through as will Amir Ibragimov who already looks like a 15 watch these two very closely in next 2 years.

If he agrees to DDG getting a new deal and then continues to play out from the back next season then serious questions need to be asked of ETH.

DDG would be fine to keep if we didn't try to play out. But that's how the manager wants to play and he's simply not capable so surely he has to leave?

If this continues next season I will be blaming the manager not the keeper. We can't blame DDG forever for something he's clearly not good at.

Who said anything about trashing the player?
Ok then, why do you think he is rambling like a Madman then? He was asked a slightly negative question about Maguire and chose to answer positively so as not to further diminish the confidence of a player who is needed in the run in and is low on confidence. Why a Man United fan decided to attack EtH for this is not so clear.

We usually sign at least 3 players every summer and replacing De Gea is at worst the 3rd highest priority.

I would say it's the 2nd highest really alongside getting a midfielder. I believe De Gea as a starter affects the team much more negatively than Eriksen or even Dalot/AWB.

We usually sign at least 3 players every summer and replacing De Gea is at worst the 3rd highest priority.

I would say it's the 2nd highest really alongside getting a midfielder. I believe De Gea as a starter affects the team much more negatively than Eriksen or even Dalot/AWB.
I agree but at the same time, we have no idea what the budget is and how much will be left after CF. And I'm a firm believer that we can't feck around up top, just need to get a top proven striker and get that sorted as it makes the biggest difference we could possibly see in our team, and to reach the top, you need a top striker. I'd love to get a new GK in, I think De gea is very much a mid table goalkeeper at very best.. but we can progress as a team considerably while waiting to get the right guy when we have the budget to do so... That to me is Diogo Costa or Maginan, so we are looking at 60m or so on a goalkeeper anyway.

I have zero issue with that argument. I'd have GK as the third biggest priority in our starting eleven and would replace De Gea as #1 this summer.

All I'm saying is that if ETH disagreed and decided to improve CF, CM and RB instead of a CF, CM and GK, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Because we could improve enough with those signings to hit our realisitic aims for next season too. It wouldn't be my preferred way of skinning the cat, but it could also get the job done well enough for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.