Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My worry is that he'll be let down in the transfer market this summer, and that combined with our key players getting older could cause us to seriously regress next season.
That's why I think we need to sign Kane over anyone else this summer. We need to be as close to the finished article this summer as we can possibly be. If we sign someone who needs a season to bed in to English football, or who won't be the finished article for a couple of years then just as they are coming good the likes of Casemiro, Varane might be on the wane.

That's why I think we need to sign Kane over anyone else this summer. We need to be as close to the finished article this summer as we can possibly be. If we sign someone who needs a season to bed in to English football, or who won't be the finished article for a couple of years then just as they are coming good the likes of Casemiro, Varane might be on the wane.
Thing is If you are Buying Kane then a Keeper and Midfielder are must as well , because his arrival would raise the expectation of Title challenge but unless we are replacing De Gea and Eriksen from the Team we won't be anything more than top 4 team even with Kane .

Thing is If you are Buying Kane then a Keeper and Midfielder are must as well , because his arrival would raise the expectation of Title challenge but unless we are replacing De Gea and Eriksen from the Team we won't be anything more than top 4 team even with Kane .
Oh yeah, god, not just Kane on his own. We need 5 players this summer at least imho.

He’s an improvement on OGS, which isn’t really that much of an achievement.

He’s handled some things absolutely perfectly, like the Ronaldo situation for example. And getting Utd a much needed trophy.

But his away form is utterly shocking.

I think it’ll be clear next season whether or not he’s got what it takes to bring real success back to Utd.

I wasn't a fan of his he handled Ronaldo at all. I said last summer that we should have sold him when he was already acting out, the writing was on the wall. If he'd have acted then, he could have saved a hell of a lot of drama and not had to try to fit in an over the hill player as much as he did.

I wasn't a fan of his he handled Ronaldo at all. I said last summer that we should have sold him when he was already acting out, the writing was on the wall. If he'd have acted then, he could have saved a hell of a lot of drama and not had to try to fit in an over the hill player as much as he did.
I agree in principle, but I think he looked at what budget was available and thought he'd have to make do with Ronaldo for a year as there were more pressing areas that needed investment. Ronnie's form had been good the season before, and if he hadn't been such a prick we'd have been better off with him in the squad than Weghorst.

Nah you're the one over-interpreting it. Ten Hag is clearly lying to support him for the remainder of the season. People think this is fine. IMO it makes it hard for players to believe any kind of support coming from him later on. You could support him by things like "He's a good player, had an off-day but will learn from such mistakes and am sure will help the team in coming games and will return to his form". No need for the over-drama.

Though I think Ten Hag's English language didn't help him either.
Fergie had a lot of trouble in getting the players to believe in him when he defended Veron, said to the press that they have no clue, and then sold him a few weeks after.

Some posters, and its quite evident who they are, are just criticising EtH for the sake of it because either they are still hurting from Ole’s sacking, or are running high on emotions post the Sevilla defeat, or are just negative in general and masquerade their negativity by stating they have ‘standards’ while not acknowledging the context in which a manager has taken up the reigns of the club.
I mean criticise the guy if he feels to meet realistic expectations (Top 4 for instance). Criticism & micro analysis of each decision & action becomes tiring.

Fergie had a lot of trouble in getting the players to believe in him when he defended Veron, said to the press that they have no clue, and then sold him a few weeks after.

Ferguson always meant to defend Veron though. He just lost hope in him after that and conceded to the fact he wouldn't work here.

So it's fine for the manager to lie in public saying a player he's willing to sell is an "example for the team". Why should any other player in the squad believe him whenever he tries to support them in public ? He can be planning to sell them as well.

Sorry, I value honesty between the manager and his players instead of all this shitty drama and lying in public.

Beside, as I said, he can support him by saying nice words without going overboard, but as I said, clearly some of you don't understand the difference.
You've been having some meltdown the past few days mate, everything alright at home?

Disappointed with the way we went out of the Europa and with the way the team is currently playing. Injuries certainly haven't helped him and he now has to trust Maguire and Lindeloff. We haven't in general scored goals in the league. We just seem to do enough. Next season will be a big one for him as he would have got used to the league and the team. Hoping he wins something big next season.

Nah you're the one over-interpreting it. Ten Hag is clearly lying to support him for the remainder of the season. People think this is fine. IMO it makes it hard for players to believe any kind of support coming from him later on. You could support him by things like "He's a good player, had an off-day but will learn from such mistakes and am sure will help the team in coming games and will return to his form". No need for the over-drama.

Though I think Ten Hag's English language didn't help him either.
It's barely even a complement. It's basically, he's got a good attitude and is the captain.

He's choosing not to humiliate him, not choosing to fully back him. Maguire is going to be gone in the summer and everyone knows it.

It has nothing to do with the name Manchester United. Only spoiled fans who have never experienced bad times think like that. It has all about us having different expectations. I believe ETH and our team have the capacity for reaching the top and Inset my expectations accordingly. Reaching top 4 is really bare minimum for my expectations. Over the last seasons I have set my expectations higher than our performance at least three times over the last ten years. But still, I don’t think top 4 is amazing, it’s bare minimum. If you expect less from ETH and the team it’s fine with me, just we have different expectations.
Define "reach the top"? This season?

Neither of us is saying top 4 is amazing. I'm saying we have only finished in the top 4, 4 times in the last decade. If you "expect" more than that then maybe your expectations are not realistic. That is also OK.

No one who played CL wanted Ronaldo. No one wanted to pay his wages except the Saudis. The twat only wanted a club in the CL.

Hag handled it perfectly.

Define "reach the top"? This season?

Neither of us is saying top 4 is amazing. I'm saying we have only finished in the top 4, 4 times in the last decade. If you "expect" more than that then maybe your expectations are not realistic. That is also OK.
Yes as I wrote, we have different expectations when it comes to what ETH is capable of, nothing wrong with that

Does nobody understand the implications of playing 2 or 3 games in a 7 day span for months straight, with desperate lack of quality beyond the starting 11? Are people actually so far up their own arse that they just refuse to acknowledge this before posting their arm chair manager drivel?

I agree that he's not going to come out and say he's shite, but he also doesn't need to big him up. If Maguire is here next season ETH will lose a lot of credibility with fans.

He'll only be here next season because the club couldn't shift him. At this point I doubt even Maguire wants to stay, his career has nosedived and he's basically 4th choice at CB right now.

I agree that he's not going to come out and say he's shite, but he also doesn't need to big him up. If Maguire is here next season ETH will lose a lot of credibility with fans.
This isn’t rocket science Maguire has to play because of injuries and his manager piling on will destroy the minuscule sliver of confidence he has left. We’re really reaching hard for things to complain about here

Does nobody understand the implications of playing 2 or 3 games in a 7 day span for months straight, with desperate lack of quality beyond the starting 11? Are people actually so far up their own arse that they just refuse to acknowledge this before posting their arm chair manager drivel?
Precisely. No consideration whatever for our circumstances. It seems to me our fans complain 90% of the time. That is whenever we are not top of the table or in the CL. Totally deluded.

He'll only be here next season because the club couldn't shift him. At this point I doubt even Maguire wants to stay, his career has nosedived and he's basically 4th choice at CB right now.
Maguire strikes me as the kind of player who desperately wants to play and will leave if he's not wanted, even if he has to take a pay cut. I don't think we'll have trouble selling him unless we set an unrealistically high asking price (as we've done in the past with other players).

No one who played CL wanted Ronaldo. No one wanted to pay his wages except the Saudis. The twat only wanted a club in the CL.

Actually, Napoli would have taken him and given us Osimhen but of course we didn't want to spend the dough.

It all comes down to awful ownership yet again because even after Ronaldo was gone and we saved his wages, we still failed to get Gakpo in the winter (and should have got him in the summer for cheaper anyway).

People just make points for the sake of it without accounting for the sheer quantity of issues he's had to overcome before the season even started and afterwards as well. I still think the guy is a magician and some people are forgetting we finished last season on 58 points. We could even improve our points tally more than Arsenal (although that's unlikely).

Maguire strikes me as the kind of player who desperately wants to play and will leave if he's not wanted, even if he has to take a pay cut. I don't think we'll have trouble selling him unless we set an unrealistically high asking price (as we've done in the past with other players).

This. Mostly, he needs a team playing to his strength, also to keep his place in the Southgate’s hierarchy. At worst, a loan with favorable conditions to buy will serve all parties and put him on a suitable track. Back to Leicester maybe?

We terminated his contract in the end. We could have done that in the summer. The rest is Ronaldo's problem after that.

Besides, we don't know for a fact either way what offers we had, and there were stories that Chelsea wanted him but we said no. If true, that's a bad decision in hindsight.

We terminated his contract in the end. We could have done that in the summer. The rest is Ronaldo's problem after that.

Besides, we don't know for a fact either way what offers we had, and there were stories that Chelsea wanted him but we said no. If true, that's a bad decision in hindsight.

Tuchel didn't want him.

Probably why Boehly fell out with him partly. He was probably deluded in thinking Ronaldo was still good.

This is too much hindsight imo. ETH only started his job last summer. It's basically impossible to ETH to tell Ronaldo to feck off by then. Would create a massive drama and probably also huge dressing room issues with his army of fans and professional trolls. ETH has simply handled all this perfectly. Being a new manager he was being fair to every players and gave them a chance to prove themselves on the field. Ronaldo didn't take it he had no one to blame. Imagine what if ETH told him to feck off right after he started his job Ronaldo and his crazy fanbase, the media would have accused ETH of being unfair to him.

I'm still so thankful for Ronaldo to be true to himself a narcissitic ahole to have that interview. Imo without that interview it'd be much harder for the club to come to the decision to terminate his contract.

This.
It's incredible how fans who follow football still don't know it works.

They see the headlines and seem to assume the manager has off his own back come out and said this stuff.
When very obviously a journalist will ask a trap of a question.

"What do you think of Maguire's form"

He has to say some positives or the press will spin it into a big divisive story.

Probably same people thinking a manager will get a new contract when the board comes out public and "backs him" after poor results...

Next season unfortunately lives and dies on how our summer goes. The ins and outs are painfully important. I can’t say I’m confident it’ll go the way we need it too, without the ownership change, and even then, it could be just as messy.

He’s an improvement on OGS, which isn’t really that much of an achievement.

He’s handled some things absolutely perfectly, like the Ronaldo situation for example. And getting Utd a much needed trophy.

But his away form is utterly shocking.

I think it’ll be clear next season whether or not he’s got what it takes to bring real success back to Utd.

I think he's done an excellent job so far, but the Sevilla game was concerning. There was no sense of being pragmatic and sitting back when we were under the cosh. We just continued to sit miles apart from each other with huge gaps for Sevilla to play through. As soon as they beat our half arsed first press they were in on goal.

He’s shown a lot of naivety tactically, first season so he rightfully should get forgiveness. But it has to improve. I’m sure he’s learning lessons from all these frankly shameful performances.

He’s shown a lot of naivety tactically, first season so he rightfully should get forgiveness. But it has to improve. I’m sure he’s learning lessons from all these frankly shameful performances.
It’s disappointing that he persists with the same tactics or similar tactics with players that cannot play to that system. It’s cost us some pretty decent hammerings this season that’s put us in the record books for the wrong reasons.

It’s disappointing that he persists with the same tactics or similar tactics with players that cannot play to that system. It’s cost us some pretty decent hammerings this season that’s put us in the record books for the wrong reasons.

Yeah this has baffled me. Sometimes it’s been forced due to circumstances, that can’t be helped, but the stubbornness of sorts to keep repeating the same mistakes is…..a choice.

A few are making the mistake of thinking what the players do is exactly what the manager wants.

Guys, do you really think ETH wants huge gaps all over the place when defending?

Sometimes you just haven't got the players. Or the players you have throw in a bad performance.

No matter how bad we were against Sevilla it was still down to De Gea ultimately. Put a top keeper in that team and despite being rubbish there's still a chance we beat Sevilla.

Yeah this has baffled me. Sometimes it’s been forced due to circumstances, that can’t be helped, but the stubbornness of sorts to keep repeating the same mistakes is…..a choice.
Probably because this is the system that the team train to use week in week out. It's like playing Maguire on the right instead of the left - if that's what you've drilled in all season it's not so straightforward to suddenly chuck everything out and return to the tactics which - let's face it - won us feck all over the last few years. And let's not forget, he would never in a million years be playing Maguire if he had any other options - he's even played a left-back over him when he's had the chance.

Honestly, taking the Liverpool result out of the equation (which was obviously horrendous - albeit they had a huge portion of luck) most of those other games we'd have likely lost anyway, whatever system we were playing - due to loads of factors, not least injuries, fatigue and suspensions. With that in mind - in a first season (and in the knowledge that most of the offending players will almost certainly not be playing for us next season) - I think I'd rather take a few 3-0 or 4-0 results in which we stuck to the principles the manager is trying to instill in the team, over more respectable 1-0 or 2-0 losses where we suddenly regress to an outdated system of play that we've used for years whilst all our rivals have modernised.

We've been crying out for a manager with a modern based approach for years and I don't blame him for sticking to his principles.

A few are making the mistake of thinking what the players do is exactly what the manager wants.

Guys, do you really think ETH wants huge gaps all over the place when defending?

Sometimes you just haven't got the players. Or the players you have throw in a bad performance.

No matter how bad we were against Sevilla it was still down to De Gea ultimately. Put a top keeper in that team and despite being rubbish there's still a chance we beat Sevilla.
Yeah, exactly - no manager, however rigid his principles would want his keeper to do what De Gea attempted on Thursday night.

I can live with some of the hidings this season, but I really hope he pushes his methods even more next season. He's already compromised somewhat this season, but I hope he lessens in doing so next season.

I don't want us to stop progressing from the ultimate goal of being able to control games vs top teams. This is why I find it imperative we get a GK who's a sweeper keeper and a midfielder(or 2) capable of passing between the lines + being a good ball carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.