Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worrying the amount of times we've been battered this season. We've seemed to lose all resilience and team spirit in a number of games, especially when conceding first and even more so if we are playing away.

If it was just an isolated result, I'd could have some sympathy for the manager but clearly we are fine being the hammer, but as soon as we are the nail; it's just the same old story.

We can talk about players not being upto the standard we require, but a lot of these players wrre part of the squad when we went unbeaten away from home all season and when we were winning the most points from losing situations.

I think Ten Hag has done amazingly well in many aspects of the role, but has to take some/more responsibility for these bad defeats as well.

Ten Hag's job description includes finding solutions both outside and inside the club in order to be competitive. If the "inside" part means anything to him, he should have done far better to give chances to the guys from the youth teams if he already knows that the mentally weak "adults" will keep on shitting the bed. But choosing to rely on the same old turds is all on the manager, and there is no way he can be free of criticism after today.

A Manchester United manager is not really a Manchester United manager if the youth does not get the proper integration into first-team action. Notice that it is very strange to say when the man used to be the manager at Ajax, where a primary rule is the necessity of promoting youth.

Needs complete backing in the summer. No ifs buts or maybes. 200mil in sales and an added 200mil on top of that. 400million needed :wenger:

Since he brought on Shaw anyway, he could have taken off Maguire and kept on awb. He had a choice there.

He could have brought on anybody other than WW but it was his choice to bring him on ahead of Fred, pellestri and elanga.

He's done really well this season, got us into third, into a cup semi final, won another cup, and been unlucky with injuries.

But even with injuries, him choosing ww who can't score or affect a game over trying to give somebody a chance who might affect a game is on him. He obviously needs to be backed in the summer and hopefully our ownership is sorted in time for that

It is the quickness of our collapse following a setback that is of the main concern.

I'm sure ETH would have studied how we performed in previous seasons with some of the deadwood in this team.

He will need backing from the board to navigate the club into calmer waters (i.e. ruthless transfers out and high value transfers in) or ride and perish in the storm like his predecessors have.

Sad to say it might be the latter if the Glazers remain.

I feel sorry for him (and us) he has incredibly stupid players to deal with with not much options to change. When you think about the 5 goals sevilla scored we gifted them 4. Maguire's and De Gea's mistakes are beyond stupid. How can you blame him for those? I just pray he's seen enough to know those players must go we can't have players sabotaging us with their stupid mistakes.

Still feeling quite dejected, put quite a dampener on the season for me. bleugh

I've been called opposition fan in a pseudo account.

But I still maintain if he doesn't find a solution to how we control football matches, results will unravel quite quickly and he will be sacked.

Now GK situation has been amplified, we need a keeper let alone 2 competent midfielders.

All this thrashing have been here with us, nothing new.
I have said since we signed Bruno our midfield structure went to the dogs. We become so open.

It's what Ole was unable to solve, and Ten Hag has to find solutions to it.

Just for comparison, Mourinho with all his mistakes, he lost only 1 game with 4 goals. Chelsea away 4-0 2016.

Since Ole period to now, we have lost OVER 10 GAMES with 4 (+) goals.

Man United 1-6 Tottenham Hotspur - Oct 04, 2020
Manchester City 4-1 Man Utd - 6 Mar, 2021
Liverpool 4-2 Man Utd 13 May 2021
Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool - 24 Oct, 2021
Watford 4-1 Man Utd - 20 Nov, 2021
Leicester 4-2 Man Utd - Oct 16, 2021
Liverpool 4-0 Man Utd - 19 Apr, 2022
Brighton 4-0 Man Utd - May 7, 2022
Brenford 4-0 this season.
City 6-3 this season.
Liverpool 7-0 this season.

Scoring 10 goals while shipping 52 goals. 52 goals.

We have not added the 3 goals games like today, Villa, Emirates etc.

If this doesn't tell you what's the problem then nothing else can..

We had Maguire Lindelof defense during Ole reign now we have Martinez Varane but still shipping goals.

We had McFred during Ole reign, now we have Casemiro Eriksen but still open as before.

So personnel has changed but why the hammerings remain?

The 4231 set-up.

2 man midfield has be ditched as soon as possible.

If Ten Hag doesn't change it, he won't finish next season because simply hammerings will continue, results will unravel and pressure of his head will mount.

The football we play - even with our best XI all fit - is not at all what I envisaged we'd be playing when he was first appointed. I feel like I was sold a dream about his style of football.

Why don’t you tell us how many games we played “with our best XI all fit”?

It's worrying the amount of times we've been battered this season. We've seemed to lose all resilience and team spirit in a number of games, especially when conceding first and even more so if we are playing away.

If it was just an isolated result, I'd could have some sympathy for the manager but clearly we are fine being the hammer, but as soon as we are the nail; it's just the same old story.

We can talk about players not being upto the standard we require, but a lot of these players wrre part of the squad when we went unbeaten away from home all season and when we were winning the most points from losing situations.

I think Ten Hag has done amazingly well in many aspects of the role, but has to take some/more responsibility for these bad defeats as well.
Good post.

This summer is crucial for ETH.

I just think we need to move a lot of players on. Its a weak squad, that will have its collapses. Theres probably 7 or 8 players i see a real future for and 3 were starting tonight.
I like the football we play, I'm happy with how we set up. I think getting these players running and working hard for any period of time is creditable.
Dont think fatigue is much of an excuse for the players starting tonight. Dalot and Wan Bisakka have split games all season, loads of rest. Maguire and Lindelof have no excuse. Sancho has no excuse. Antony you could excuse but he doesn't need one because he put a lot of work in. Lots of players back from injury and a bit rusty is a better fit but i dont care much for excuses these days.

No one expected us to get top 4, Ok, but no also expected us to lose by 6 and 7 to our biggest rivals, or have multiple 3-0 losses or even a 4-0 loss. No one expected that many humiliations. We were dogshit last season but the worst we managed was the 5-0 loss to Liverpool and we managed to overtake that this year!

He has done pretty well but the team's pathetic form since the League Cup win is on him for not being able to prepare the team after a trophy and his inability to have any kind of proper strategy or preparation for away games against tough opponent.

He has improved the team he's not blameless.

I don’t really buy into theory that finishing top 4 is that big of a shock. We had been there just two seasons ago, spent £200m on new players and then saw two of the teams that finished above us last year collapse completely. To paint it as a major underdog achievement is bit of an overstatement IMO.

The Casemiro Fred combo has been a hit every time It’s been used, a bit of a head scratcher why the added protection in midfield wasn’t used in a tough away game with Maguire and Lindelof at the back…

It absolutely should matter. Just because he did better than expected for the first 6-8 months doesn't mean he should be judged to be not good enough if we take a step back, when he is responsible for both overachievment and underachieving.

There will be ups and downs.
I don't juge him "not good enough", overall it's been a good appointment. I'm just saying we should still keep a level of distancing that allows fair criticism and not turn into subjectif fanbois

He simply shouldn't have asked the team to play out from the back with Maguire starting. Especially after the first leg.

I think he has a fixed style of playing. He wants United to progress and not revert to the long ball when that is what we probably don't work on. If this shows that the team needs changing, all the better for the present and future owners to be aware. Stick with Erik, give him the resources, we are clearly on to a winner here.

If LVG was thinking like that then Rashford would never got a chance. And McNair, Blackett and few others.

Yeah, many of those flopped but that is why you have academy. If you have injury crisis (or your first team players are completely out of form) you deal with it with the best talents from youth. And in that way you can get first teamer for future.
ETH dealt with it by loaning two players and playing game after game with players whos form is in toilet.
We have Mainoo and Iqbal. Why loan Sabi?

What is the point of academy then?

Academy is a long term strategy. You ideally bed them in over selective games , hopefully while the team is functioning so they can show their talents and develop positively.

Mainoo is very young and Iqbal isn't someone who is so good you do that for in such a high risk position when you can get seasoned professionals in.

As exciting as seeing academy lads get a chance is it would have been a brutal time to throw them in the deep end.

He simply shouldn't have asked the team to play out from the back with Maguire starting. Especially after the first leg.
Yeh this is my one criticism of him so far, is insisting on continuing to play the same way, in this instance out from the back, even when we have injuries and have to play players who aren't up to it, i.e. Maguire. He has to adjust the game plan for that.

Yeh this is my one criticism of him so far, is insisting on continuing to play the same way, in this instance out from the back, even when we have injuries and have to play players who aren't up to it, i.e. Maguire. He has to adjust the game plan for that.

Yeah adjustments have to be made with comedy duo otherwise we will see more of these defeats in the next few league games

The scapegoats keep coming:
Rashford
Martial
Maguire
McFred
Bruno
WW
DDG
Glazers
ETH

We won’t be successful with them at the club.

In all of our demolitions, we have seen it coming throughout the game. The manager has to be able to change the dynamic mid-game.

Only the £200m spent and we still get battered every away game to a big team. He's not as good as some of you like to think.

Oh do tell who we should have got because this I have gotta hear. Suspect you are probably gonna come up with Pochettino

Only the £200m spent and we still get battered every away game to a big team. He's not as good as some of you like to think.
We've also beaten all the big teams at home though. Clearly some weird fluke thing going on, but they are tough matches anyway.

Also, we have top 4 and a trophy despite barely having a premier league level out of our striker and goalkeeper throughout the season. feck the rest, feck the spend, that is the reality of those 2 positions of our squad. And we've got top 4 and a trophy despite that.

Now, every media has published the news reports or opinion pieces that Manchester United was embarrassed and the season is going to fall apart (see skysports).
Tired to read the blames to the players and ETH. What happened had happened. Now, look forward to the next game. Enjoy the life, guys!

Not impressed by his season so far
Top 4 and a trophy while reaching the FA Cup semi finals and Europa quarter finals (beating Barcelona on the way) isn't impressive or a good season for you?

I'm sorry but what the feck did you expect? Did your brain shut off for the past decade and forget what the reality of the club has been? You expect a title challenge asap? Win every single trophy with just 1 summer window? fecks sake :lol:

When you are implementing a new system, sometimes there are growing pains and certain players play themselves out of a future. You don't implement a system well by changing core fundamentals because 1 player gets injured. You force it through, might not work out, but you address it in the transfer window when you get the chance to, if you have the money.

Roy Keane warned Ole that these players would get any manager the sack , ETH better head that warning , if he keeps the deadwood at the club he like all the other mangers in the post Fergie era will be getting his marching orders before next season is out.

Hard to shift all of the necessary deadwood when owners are absolute leeches who couldn't give a toss about tieing his hands behind back

And that’s only the starting 11. He needs an entire new bench, too. Not unrealistic to say we need to bring in 7-8 new faces.

Yeah we need easily that,so how do some of Erik's biggest critics in this thread suggest we improve the away form next season

You do realise he's ahead of where Pep was at the same point and Pep took over a far better run club that was challenging for the league?

Yeah with a fecking bottomless pit,oh and inherited Kompany,Toure,De Bruyne,Gundogan and Aguero so let's not forget that

Status
Not open for further replies.