Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes let’s be realistic. Without Liverpool’s and Chelsea’s downfall we would not be in fourth right now, and our goal difference is similar to last season. We were well beaten by Brentford, Liverpool, City, Sevilla, Aston Villa and Newcastle.
I’m not saying this has been a bad season, but I expected more.

if my grandmother had wheels she would be a bike.

Same old story really, he needs to rotate but is absolutely fecked when does or is forced to. There's a severe fragile underbelly still shivering at the club.

I trust ETH knows the issues, he's dealt with many but we're hamstrung by some catastrophic recruitment which ETH allegedly sounded off on when being interviewed for the job.

This tie has been torpedoed when Varane took a knock then Martinez went off and we concede another. Tonight 8 mins in the fecking Easter Island statue gives them another. De Gea is too often poppadom hands, pushing goals in.

What in the fecking hell are we doing paying this keeper 375k, I called it out at the time we handed out the contract, world's highest paid keeper, it's a worldwide laughing stock and a rod for your own back we can't get off, and he's shite at so much. 80 fecking million for Maguire, he's been shocking since that Leicester away 4-2 debacle where he was playing like someone coming around from tranquillizers. These guys should've been gone long ago. I've seen enough of De Gea when we drew 1-1 with Chelsea gunning for top 4 2019.

We have so many soft fragile players, John Murtough overseeing Sancho getting paid 350k a week was a huge worry. Lindelof is too soft.

I believe in the phrase you make your own luck. People have said we have bad luck or the club is cursed, even De Gea has said this but I've seen enough of the old squad that things rapidly turn to utter shit when they're called upon, Maguire is playing for Sevilla since he was brought on. I would jettison the trifecta of De Gea Maguire and Lindelof tonight. Signing these players and trying to rely on them time and time again is what brings you the bad luck. Paying obscene wages for players that have done sod all and are timid characters.

Manchester United, a club that has had Cole Yorke Sheringham Ole, RVP RVN Ronaldo Rooney Tevez and so on are plucking away with a shook Martial and bargain bin Jan Wout after spending more than a billion. This is not bad luck but serious misfecking management. ETH needs backing but from where after we've been sunk.

4-0 Brentford
6-3 City
7-0 Vermin
3-0 tonight

I don't think the manager appreciates that away games are tough and we play far too open at times. Nothing wrong with going a bit more defensively away from home. It gets you more points and wins.

Yes let’s be realistic. Without Liverpool’s and Chelsea’s downfall we would not be in fourth right now, and our goal difference is similar to last season. We were well beaten by Brentford, Liverpool, City, Sevilla, Aston Villa and Newcastle.
I’m not saying this has been a bad season, but I expected more.

This sort of shite gets said every year. There won't ever be a season where all the top teams are flying, it's just how it works, football works in cycles.

The football we play - even with our best XI all fit - is not at all what I envisaged we'd be playing when he was first appointed. I feel like I was sold a dream about his style of football.
Do we even press anymore or play any kind of possession style as in pass and move that can be discernable from coaching. I don't see it and a 30s gif of a bit of passing under no pressure v Forest isn't the same.

This is just bizarre nonsense. How could an adult type that sentence with a straight face?
How can any adult watch our away games and say otherwise? Please tell me what is so much better about tonight, Liverpool, City, Brentford, Arsenal etc?

We have been steadily regressing for the past 2 months. Sure, we've had injuries and suspensions, but less and less is seen from the working being put in training.

Once again the team was not focused in the beginning of the game and was bested in the effort department. Not being able to improve in those aspects is worrisome.

in the last couple of weeks you’ve had some very good performances: Brentford, Everton, Forest. Not the hardest games, but in the context of all the injuries etc, I still think ETH is doing a good job as he’s got a lot of dud players and no proper striker. I reckon theissue is player quality, not effort.

Humiliations are happening, for better or worse, because ETH's trying to play a system rather than Ole's scattergun melee then 'hit it to Marcus/Tony'. Its riskier. Ole might have ironically done slightly better tonight, and in one or two of the other humiliations this season, if playing his usual system (and also presuming the players hadn't lost motivation) and just by instructing the team to 'get at them' ., turning it attritional, and definitely not bothering with playing out from the back. Might have squeaked it to penalties today, lost only by a couple of goals against liverpool etc..

Another thing that I've found very disappointing is his tactical inflexibility. Yes you want to play out from the back and that is fine but surely he must recognise that the personnel is simply not there for it. We have conceded far too many goals from idiotic mistakes borne out of trying to force players to play out from the back and he has not once made a change to the style. What is the point of implementing a style when the personnel is not available for it or suited to it? Not a single team respects our build up olay. In fact they even welcome us playing at the back. Yet he persists with it and even wants to grant extensions to the same players. For what?

How can any adult watch our away games and say otherwise? Please tell me what is so much better about tonight, Liverpool, City, Brentford, Arsenal etc?

You do know that there have been more games played this season right? Some performances have been as bad as last season but the average performance over all games has been a lot better this season. Dominated Forest last weekend, got outplayed by Watford last season. I dont think we dominated a match last season at all. The average performance over the whole season is better this season.

Ah, so now you're changing your point to exclusively away games. Shifting of the goalposts literally with the next message.

I think this is accurate:

Ten Hag has done an incredible revival job with Wan-Bissaka and Rashford but there's no future with De Gea, Lindelof and Maguire.

Those players deserve the criticism, but we're conveniently forgetting that we were awful in all areas of the pitch. We didn't score any goals either and never really came close to threatening. We were so easily walked through in midfield. The amount of players who put in a poor performance today is shocking. Maguire and De Gea were immediately at fault for the goals, but we were poor everywhere. Mentally, we were not prepared for this game.

If he insists next year with DDG i m losing hope on ETH. We need 3 players: GK, CM and a striker. I hope he really insists onvthis 3 positions.

He has a few of his most important decisions coming up this summer. If he stick by players like De Gea being first choice we won’t progress the way we could under him or at least not at the rate we could. He’ll continue to feel let down by some of these players if they stay.

How can they get worse than Wouts one goal? With scoring zero?
I think they would've been to raw playing first team football, and more than likely the over all team performance would've suffered. Plus I'm sure EtH looked at those youth and considered them, but clearly didn't feel they were up to the step up yet.

And the rest of us also the remember the first years of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole and the same set of senile old fools trying to convince everyone back then it was exactly what happened under Ferguson too.

Rinse and repeat. Same story for the last 10 years.

:lol: This did get me I have to say.

I like ETH but there is an element of truth to this twilight zone effect. Most managers, Moyes aside have been loved and suppoted to the hilt in their first season where any word against them would be shouted down. Except as soon as it goes downhill and they are sacked then those same posters look back and say " X manager was shite, current manager is clearly the best/the one to lead us back!", then they pat themselves on the back for being the best fans.

Truth is, Moyes aside (again), all the managers have had their merits and had their moments in the sun where we looked potentially like we were going places. With ETH, like with others before him it remains to be seen. There are some really positive signs, as well as some worrying signs. It could honestly go either way. One things for sure though, if a few years down the line it doesn't work out for ETH, it still won't mean "LVG, Mourinho, ETH were all crap, [new manager] is by far the best we've had since SAF". They've all been good managers who are capable of winning things with the right players and recruitment. Players and recruitment are the common denominator in all of this.

Also ETH needs to both (A) broaden his tactical pallet in order to deal with situations where players are injured or tired, playing more hybrid and deploying players who can automatically relieve and induce pressure through runs (maybe having a more polished version of an Adama, or a Dembee style player in reserve), a reserve CF who can hold the ball up etc, but also (B) to jettison 7-8 and bring in a few players whose technical levels and ability to deal with quick passing game both progressively and in defending it (or resisting pressure) is much higher...

Even while being shit post Fergie, we hadn't received such big number of humiliations in one season since Moyes. These were sporadic or happening once a season or so. We're seeing it now for like 5th time this year ! It's definitely Ten Hag's fault at this moment.
I dunno, I feel like Ole's last days were far more humiliating. The goal tallies weren't as high, but it was far more consistent. This season they've been one offs surrounded by ok/good performances

I dunno, I feel like Ole's last days were far more humiliating. The goal tallies weren't as high, but it was far more consistent. This season they've been one offs surrounded by ok/good performances

I don't think they can be considered on offs when they're happening so frequently at this point.

It was literally in the post you responded to. But go on, or are you agreeing now?
Performances are barely better than last season. Certainly not away from home.
Are you daft or something? Your point was that performances are barely better than last season and definitely aren't away from home - you're now trying to reframe it as if you were only talking about away from home which you weren't (and is still nonsense anyway). So jog on and grow up.

Are you daft or something? Your point was that performances are barely better than last season and definitely aren't away from home - you're now trying to reframe it as if you were only talking about away from home which you weren't (and is still nonsense anyway). So jog on and grow up.
I'll take it as a yes since you can't answer.

The football we play - even with our best XI all fit - is not at all what I envisaged we'd be playing when he was first appointed. I feel like I was sold a dream about his style of football.

There's some signs of it, but we can't commit to it if our manager wants to keep De Gea. De Gea should not be in the squad next season.

If he insists next year with DDG i m losing hope on ETH. We need 3 players: GK, CM and a striker. I hope he really insists onvthis 3 positions.
And who do we play at RB and when Varane is injured? A new CB is a must.

Can ETH turn this season around?

If he wants De Gea to stay, the board should veto him.
I think the problem is we haven't a clue who to replace De Gea with. We have no scouts and there is no good keeper in the Dutch league. So unless we go out and spent a huge sum and wages on a keeper we are snookered. We need 6-7 players min and spending 70m on a keeper reduces what can be spent elsewhere.

-Bruno out
-Starting CBs out
-Rashford and Shaw limited by injuries
-Garnacho out

-Savilla has been a complete bogey team for us and has some voodoo stronghold on this competition (we are up 2-0 at home and then their voodoo kicked in and took Varane and Martinez out and somehow they get 2 OGs)

I can't get on him about this one. Just can't. Sucks to go out but at least now it's at least 2 less Thursday matches which should help with top 4.

I think the problem is we haven't a clue who to replace De Gea with. We have no scouts and there is no good keeper in the Dutch league. So unless we go out and spent a huge sum and wages on a keeper we are snookered. We need 6-7 players min and spending 70m on a keeper reduces what can be spent elsewhere.

I would hope our scouting department and board have some idea who can replace De Gea.

There's some signs of it, but we can't commit to it if our manager wants to keep De Gea. De Gea should not be in the squad next season.
Would it not raise an alarm if a manager wants to keep a player who is such a bad fit for his style of football? I remember one of the first things Klopp and Pep did was bin off their keepers and identify high quality sweeper keepers. Let's hope Ten Hag does the same

You do know that there have been more games played this season right? Some performances have been as bad as last season but the average performance over all games has been a lot better this season. Dominated Forest last weekend, got outplayed by Watford last season. I dont think we dominated a match last season at all. The average performance over the whole season is better this season.
I didn't say they weren't better. A lot better is pushing it though. When we have close to our best XI we're good at home.

And who do we play at RB and when Varane is injured? A new CB is a must.

Can ETH turn this season around?

Your point is valid. We do need another CB, which I think will be Timber. However, the new CB will serve more as a backup like Malacia. For the other 3 positions we need starters.

If he wants De Gea to stay, the board should veto him.
As much as I support ETH I feel this is the right thing to do. DDG will hurt him again next season without fail (or with fail). Then again I don’t think our club has the executive pedigree to offer ETH support / a credible counter view.

Even while being shit post Fergie, we hadn't received such big number of humiliations in one season since Moyes. These were sporadic or happening once a season or so. We're seeing it now for like 5th time this year ! It's definitely Ten Hag's fault at this moment.
Yes of course it is and he is finding out what character his team has got. Maguire, Captain by virtue of shit contract and armband but not a leader, Sancho, A winger not a creator, DDG a Goalie but not a progressive play maker like Allison or the guy at City.

Give the guy a break, it's a tough league and he's doing fekkin really well in his first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.