Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right there is the same attitude in the forum that there is in the team, Panic. The reason Casemiro was poor tonight has nothing to do with him. The centre backs progress the ball at snails pace. This isn't new we have watched Maguire for ages. What's the pun? Definition of insanity is repeating the same process expect a different outcome. We needed Varane and Martinez and Bruno plain and simple. They step forward immediately and play ball fast. Maguire thinks, thinks and thinks again and then passes. Fine in slower international games but at higher club level, no use. We have to trust the process and we need to dump the serial killers of United once and for all. We need finance sorted and more players. Remember Ten Hag was let down in the Winter window with no support from the Glaziers when it was apparent this scenario was round the corner.

I think the problem is we haven't a clue who to replace De Gea with. We have no scouts and there is no good keeper in the Dutch league. So unless we go out and spent a huge sum and wages on a keeper we are snookered. We need 6-7 players min and spending 70m on a keeper reduces what can be spent elsewhere.
Henderson may not be much but he is currently better than De Gea , if there is no money to replace De Gea instead of renewing His contract I would rather Give Henderson a chance next season and revisit the situation in 2024 .

First season so nothing to say.
Make top 4 and it's a good season.

How he plays his cards with the summer transfer is how I'll judge him.

Last 10 games showed him who can make it here and who can't.

There's at least 6 players he needs to get rid off asap.

Be ruthless or get sacked. Easy as.

I would hope our scouting department and board have some idea who can replace De Gea.
They haven't a clue. They have shown that last summer. It was either a player from the dutch league or a proven player for huge money like Casemiro

Last edited:
Would it not raise an alarm if a manager wants to keep a player who is such a bad fit for his style of football? I remember one of the first things Klopp and Pep did was bin off their keepers and identify high quality sweeper keepers. Let's hope Ten Hag does the same

I honestly think the board should veto him if he wants to keep De Gea.

Forget about ever controlling games vs the best teams if your GK is De Gea.

Ten Hag needs to do the same as Pep/Klopp did. Be ruthless.

Savilla has been a complete bogey team for us and has some voodoo stronghold on this competition (we are up 2-0 at home and then their voodoo kicked in and took Varane and Martinez out and somehow they get 2 OGs)

it's probably best to not you start delving into nonsense like that when the sentiment of your post is to defend the manager

I think this is accurate:

Ten Hag has done an incredible revival job with Wan-Bissaka and Rashford but there's no future with De Gea, Lindelof and Maguire.

But Lindelof and Maguire were not there in all those games where we have been hammered.

Yes we have a personnel issue in the team but the team set-up and structure is completely wrong.

Our problem as fans is we forget about other games and throw words to the just ended game.

We have been this poor with Varane/Licha.

We have been this poor with Bruno in the team.

We have been this poor with Casemiro in the team.

We have been this poor with McFred in the team.

Goal difference in the league is +9.

We have conceded 37 goals in the league, we will hit over 44 goals for sure, which will be second worst record in United premier league history after last season debacle.

Maguire and Lindelof last season leaked over 54 goals in the league.

The season before if I'm not wrong we leaked 44 goals.

This season Licha and Varane have leaked over 37 goals. By the time both are injured.

So, no matter how much we blame Maguire and Lindelof, the underlying numbers are same.

This is brought about with how we set-up 4231.

Mourinho, Ole, did it, and it didn't achieve any tangible results. Ten Hag is doing it now and the numbers and results are almost similar.

We need 3 competent midfielders. Until that happens such results/ league finishes will persist.

I have been extremely vocal about our midfield structure, I've been called names, called opposition fan etc.

Check my previous posts.

Ten Hag can't compete with Pep with a 4231. He can't.

Ten Hag can't win 29 games in a EPL season with a 4231. He can't.

When in 2 months you control 2-3 games the rest are overrun games, when was the last game City were overrun? Try and remember, not even losing just getting overrun. Anybody can lose a game.

That's what we are competing with... Some fans think we can conjure a title win with such a set-up.

We need to have more control in our game plan.
We need to have a flat 3 elite midfield.
We need to have a flat 3 man attack.

We attack as a block, defend as a block, this over the top ball to Rashford is unsustainable.

All these players who can't be measured in possession should be thrown out of the club, up until that happens nothing big will change in this club.

Read what Moyes said 10 years ago.

We still have the same same problems.

Last edited:
He has done well in certain games but overall the jury is still out. He got off to a much worse start with Ajax to be fair, didn't the players want him sacked? And then his second season was amazing.

Would it not raise an alarm if a manager wants to keep a player who is such a bad fit for his style of football? I remember one of the first things Klopp and Pep did was bin off their keepers and identify high quality sweeper keepers. Let's hope Ten Hag does the same

We have other areas of the pitch in bigger need of investment than the keeper and we aint exactly flushed with cash to do it neither. Fullback, centre back, midfield and up front. Hanging onto DDG is unfortunately the route that has to be taken to allow us to strengthen these areas first.

No point qualifying for the Champions League unless he can learn to set his sides up against decent teams away from home. It’s been pathetic all season and needs to improve.

We have other areas of the pitch in bigger need of investment than the keeper and we aint exactly flushed with cash to do it neither. Fullback, centre back, midfield and up front. Hanging onto DDG is unfortunately the route that has to be taken to allow us to strengthen these areas first.

Nothing is more important than a new keeper. If we persist with a keeper who loses us games out of nowhere we can’t make any real progress.

I guess we shouldn’t have tried to win the games we played.
No, we should but this squad should have started the EL games from the start and we'd have gone out sooner and still have Martinez and Varane fit.

Looking at the squad there was no way these players we're going to go the distance in everything, we knew that, Ten Hag knew that, and that's why he kept playing the same 11 players and ignoring the squad options. I don't think anyone needs reminding what happens when the same 11 players play every possible match available.

Here we are, with everything still to do in the league and players that Ten Hag hasn't trusted all season.

It's always worrying when you've got posters saying "it's not a 'insert coach name ' team yet, he needs more signings to make it his own", or comparing it to Fergie's first years. It's like the kiss of death for every manager we have. Especially when they're talking about the signings we need after losing to a relegation form team :lol:

Terrible manager. No better than Ole. If anything we are worse. Away in big matches we are embarrassed ever game.
Woah.

Though I will say my biggest concern with EtH is his inability to stem the tide when the game is going wrong, today was similar to Newcastle in the fact we never looked at it & nothing he did changed it.

Nothing is more important than a new keeper. If we persist with a keeper who loses us games out of nowhere we can’t make any real progress.
1. Striker
2. Backup DM
3. Keeper

For me at least. Keeper is vital, but striker is obviously #1 I'd say given Weghorst is championship level loan and Martial can't play 3 games without injuries. Backup DM because it shouldn't be expensive but just somebody younger who can cover for Casemiro on the odd occasion he gets suspended and so we don't overplay Casemiro.

1. Striker
2. Backup DM
3. Keeper

For me at least. Keeper is vital, but striker is obviously #1 I'd say given Weghorst is championship level loan and Martial can't play 3 games without injuries. Backup DM because it shouldn't be expensive but just somebody younger who can cover for Casemiro on the odd occasion he gets suspended and so we don't overplay Casemiro.

It's like picking between your heart, your lungs or your brain. Impossible to put in any order we just simply need all three.

Statistically, he has not been much better than the previous managers, with the bonus of getting humiliated every other away game.
Statistically he has the highest win rate out of any manager we've ever had. But anyway. Yeah the away games are a problem but it's very obviously a weird grouping considering we are dominant against bottom half clubs away, we are dominant against all clubs at home, and have done very well across all 4 competitions. Trophy win and top 4 means the season is a success. Europa or FA Cup would have been/would be a bonus, but not a defining factor. We already essentially achieved the goals and just need to see out the league finish.

It took losing CL final for Liverpool to realize they can't rely on Klopp's hipster choice by developing Karius to replace Mignolet.

I believe the recruitment team and the supposed Football Director need to step up. ETH may not know it all in regarding scouting a GK upgrade. DDG is the best GK ETH has worked with. They need to help ETH to find one, not waiting for him to scout a GK himself. Please god move away from manager running the whole thing method.

I strongly disagree that we have to keep De Gea to strengthen other areas. In fact, we would be better served letting De Gea leave to free up cash to attend to other areas. We don't need to get any transfer fee for him. Just letting him walk would be a massive cash injection. The guy is on £375k per week. You have any idea how absolutely crazy that is for ANY player much less a goalkeeper? I am very very okay with Dean Henderson or Tom Heaton or Jack Butland or anyone mildly serviceable if the other critical areas of the team are sufficiently strengthened. We don't need Buffon or Casillas in goal. We just need someone that can do the basic things a goalkeeper is expected to do properly like command his box and not commit fatal errors regularly. In fact i'd rather be in a position where I forget who we have in goal during games because it would mean the keeper is doing his job well. I still remember when Van Der Sar went on his 15 game clean sheet run. I wasn't even aware he was on such a run till the final game of that stretch. It was just a given that he would do his job with minimal fuss. That is a goalkeeper.

It's like picking between your heart, your lungs or your brain. Impossible to put in any order we just simply need all three.
Well... If we rate each role currently with what we have/what we'd have next season:
Striker - Normally relegation standard/top 4 competitor level for 3 games every 2 months that Martial is fit for
DM - Normally league winner standard but needs backup (which is currently fight for survival standard at best)
Goalkeeper - Bottom half (at best) standard

All 3 absolute vitals. Compare that to other positions:
RB - Europa league level starter and backup
CB - CL level starter, europa backup
LB - CL level starter and europa backup
CM - Top 4 competitor level starter and backup
CAM - CL level starter, europa backup
RW - Top 4 competitor level starter, ??? backup
LW - CL level starter, europa backup

Yeah we need a CM as they're all old, but they do put out a good level anyway. Not enough for title, but it's still definitely a top 4 competitor level. RB isn't the best but it is still definitely a Europa league level at least. 3 absolute shite positions in our squad, the rest are solid starters and backups. Just swap around for suiting Ten Hag a bit ideally, but generally speaking, address the 3 gaping holes and we'll go a long way. You often see people say that weak links in football REALLY drag a team down disproportionally... and we have 2 of them in our starting 11, and the 3rd just an absence of a backup.

Think it's been our biggest weakness for a long time. Not good if ETH wants to give him an extension as has been said a lot here tonight

Sounds fair to me.

Think it's been our biggest weakness for a long time. Not good if ETH wants to give him an extension as has been said a lot here tonight
I'm starting to come around to this - I don't think he's as bad as some say, but I think it's really time for a change.

Loads of credit in the back, but we shouldn't be getting knocked out by this Seviila. Not many excuses for this, if any. Not good.

Well how about the mad run of games since the season resumed after the WC?
No team has played more games than United, and we’ve been hit with unlucky suspensions AND injuries.

The drop off in form was foreseeable and a lot of people were wondering if we would be able to sustain our form. Short answer is no, you can’t play on 4 fronts unless you have a complete and healthy squad topped with quality rotation, both of which we obviously lack.

I strongly disagree that we have to keep De Gea to strengthen other areas. In fact, we would be better served letting De Gea leave to free up cash to attend to other areas. We don't need to get any transfer fee for him. Just letting him walk would be a massive cash injection. The guy is on £375k per week. You have any idea how absolutely crazy that is for ANY player much less a goalkeeper? I am very very okay with Dean Henderson or Tom Heaton or Jack Butland or anyone mildly serviceable if the other critical areas of the team are sufficiently strengthened. We don't need Buffon or Casillas in goal. We just need someone that can do the basic things a goalkeeper is expected to do properly like command his box and not commit fatal errors regularly. In fact i'd rather be in a position where I forget who we have in goal during games because it would mean the keeper is doing his job well. I still remember when Van Der Sar went on his 15 game clean sheet run. I wasn't even aware he was on such a run till the final game of that stretch. It was just a given that he would do his job with minimal fuss. That is a goalkeeper.
Completely agree. When people say hope he's on reduced wages? We shouldn't be paying him anything to play in goal for us even for free he isn't good enough and is completely detrimental to how we want to play.

A keeper who also either keeps us in games and wins us games. DDG had a stinker tonight. How with having the whole game being played in front of him he didn't just go long with the ball I will never know. The second cock up all he has to do is just get there and head it out for a throw as there is no need to try take it down like you're Maradona. I will say it again we can't afford to replace our keeper and make serious investment into other areas in dire need. Whatever we sell we always get peanuts for so the club has to cover the bill. We need as much as possible to get some quality in to either be in the starting lineup or be backup because our squad depth is shocking. A couple of players injured and its all gone to shit.

Need to get rid of the glazers ASAP and under new owners get some competent football people involved to work alongside Erik on transfers and player contracts. Right he should have a short list made up on the rubbish he has to bin.

Our next 5 games....

Brighton (W)
Spurs A
Villa H
Brighton A
Westham A

Let's see what Erik is made of. If our away form is anything to go by though we might not want to be overly hopeful.

Said at start of his tenure, the decisions he makes after having all info of what happened in a season of cnuts, either ignoring it or no, it will cost him here or there.

Next summer transfer window will tell us, how he sees this current squad.

He's had a shocker tonight and a few others this season in having to be asked to play out from the back but I still feel he can keep us in games and win them for us. The games evolved massively and he's an old style keeper IMO. Although I have never liked how he tends to stick to staying on his line over coming for crosses etc. If you replace him with Henderson or Heaton will they have similar issues being asked to play out from the back? There is no point IMO bringing up the VDS argument because you're referring to a keeper who is regarded by fellow professionals to be one of the all time greats. If I had the choice I would clone him in a heartbeat. Great shot stopper, calm, commanding of his areas, great handling and most of all for what ETH wants to utilise right now fantastic distribution with either foot. It was minimal fuss to ''Steady Eddie'' because he was that damn good. We are stuck between a rock and hard place with our financial situation. As much as you might want him gone I can see him being kept on so we can try fund other areas first and deal with him later.

Last edited:
Should that matter ? Things evolve and so targets and hopes

It absolutely should matter. Just because he did better than expected for the first 6-8 months doesn't mean he should be judged to be not good enough if we take a step back, when he is responsible for both overachievment and underachieving.

There will be ups and downs.

Our GK and back line cannot handle it. I agree. But what about all the times when we had the ball, why couldn’t we string two passes together the other 70 mins?

That was the original point when I replied to your original question as to why we can't handle an organized press.

As to why we couldn't string 2 passes together, that's a different discussion.

Klopp was at Liverpool 3 years before he signed Alisson?

It absolutely should matter. Just because he did better than expected for the first 6-8 months doesn't mean he should be judged to be not good enough if we take a step back, when he is responsible for both overachievment and underachieving.

There will be ups and downs.

No one expected us to get top 4, Ok, but no also expected us to lose by 6 and 7 to our biggest rivals, or have multiple 3-0 losses or even a 4-0 loss. No one expected that many humiliations. We were dogshit last season but the worst we managed was the 5-0 loss to Liverpool and we managed to overtake that this year!

He has done pretty well but the team's pathetic form since the League Cup win is on him for not being able to prepare the team after a trophy and his inability to have any kind of proper strategy or preparation for away games against tough opponent.

He has improved the team he's not blameless.

This is honestly more disappointing than Liverpool for me. It’s something that should have been very winnable and would have made for a great season.

Instead, we have been embarrassed by a much lesser side and it’s confirmed that the manager doesn’t know how to set up up away from home.

It worries me and it means that what could have been a great season, can only be a good one. I am a little worried. It’s a desperate defeat and a low point of the season.

His second halves are in general terrible when we don't score much in the first halves, while usually we play better in them. I don't know if the statistics would back up my feeling with those.

His away game management in general is terrible, it must be said. I think he is learning, and I trust that he will correct them gradually.

Status
Not open for further replies.