Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should that matter ? Things evolve and so targets and hopes
Absolutely matters considering it’s only his first year in charge. There’s only so much change you can do so quickly with the schedule, WC etc added in. Obviously once you reach quarterfinals and semi finals you aim to win them but nobody should be resetting any knob this fast

Saying that he needs to do better on the road would be a understatement .

We have been embarrassed too many times this season to just put the blame on players he needs to buck up his ideas starting Sunday .

You do realise he's ahead of where Pep was at the same point and Pep took over a far better run club that was challenging for the league?
I think many of us guaged our and especially City’s status wrongly at the time. We were still a broken football team and football club which was tactically / personnel wise a mess and had a clown running footballing matters in Ed. City were recent champions and their points tally was more of an anomaly. They had a brilliant spine and a strong foundation of style of play (from Mancini) that underperformed for a period of time. Not to mention being one of the best run clubs in football (_aside from all the cheating).

I recall comparing the two team and drawing equivalence’s but I think that was wrong and harsh on Mourinho. The task at Manchester United was and still is a totally different beast.

It's a cup competition. Shit happens.
Shit does indeed happen, tell me about it. But the way the wheels have just come off in a couple of away games this season is something else. Putting them in the, ”shit happens” or ”just one of those days” category just doesn`t feel right to me.

Getting eliminated in the quarter finals of Europa league it's his first failure. Don't blame him as 4 of the 5 goals were gifts from braindead players. There's nothing he can do about it but bench them.

I believe he has identified the players that must leave so I hope he's supported in the summer and we can ship them out.

The only way this man will succeed is if he’s ruthless in the summer! Get rid of Maguire, get rid of DDG. If not then this will cost him is job eventually. We need quality squad depth for when Varane and martinez are out. 100% need a striker and one that has a good record of staying fit for a full season and one that will get us 25+ goals a season.

I don't juge him "not good enough", overall it's been a good appointment. I'm just saying we should still keep a level of distancing that allows fair criticism and not turn into subjectif fanbois

Going back to the original point, expectations at the start of the season should absolutely matter.

You have to set the expectations apriori.

The only way this man will succeed is if he’s ruthless in the summer! Get rid of Maguire, get rid of DDG. If not then this will cost him is job eventually. We need quality squad depth for when Varane and martinez are out. 100% need a striker and one that has a good record of staying fit for a full season and one that will get us 25+ goals a season.
Absolutely agree. Holding on to these players will lead to many more struggles. But also we need to get the executive level stuff right. The manager alone will only do so much. If we want to simply rely on our manager to find players etc I don’t see how we will replace all the existing duds well. It worked out pretty well last summer but can’t be the only trick we have.

I fear we are still miles behind our rivals at the executive level

Absolutely matters considering it’s only his first year in charge. There’s only so much change you can do so quickly with the schedule, WC etc added in. Obviously once you reach quarterfinals and semi finals you aim to win them but nobody should be resetting any knob this fast

Going back to the original point, expectations at the start of the season should absolutely matter.

You have to set the expectations apriori.
Among those expectations, surely there was also the will to avoid getting frequently humiliated away from home no ?
I understand that there are main objectives to reach but as far as I'm concerned, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth some of the games we lost this season

I don't juge him "not good enough", overall it's been a good appointment. I'm just saying we should still keep a level of distancing that allows fair criticism and not turn into subjectif fanbois
Totally agree.

I'm a big fan and believe he's the man but I'm also absolutely against our support turning into a cult. Nothing good for the club if so.

Among those expectations, surely there was also the will to avoid getting frequently humiliated away from home no ?
I understand that there are main objectives to reach but as far as I'm concerned, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth some of the games we lost this season

Personally I don't feel humiliated at all. I don't see the same things that most people see with the defeats to City, Liverpool, Brentford. Brentford was too early. Liverpool was a freak result, first half we actually played very well.

The way I see it is our general performances away to any decent team is a bigger issue. Only away game we have performed is against Barcelona. Other than that I don't see many issues with ETH, more with our squad. If ETH renews DDG that would be a bigger issue for me.

Hard to shift all of the necessary deadwood when owners are absolute leeches who couldn't give a toss about tieing his hands behind back
To be fair, would you trust anyone on the playing side to spend money on players that weren’t absolute shit?

Maguire, Pogba, Martial, Lindelöf, Bailly, Telles, Sanchez etc. Not one player has been a success despite the money spent.

Personally I don't feel humiliated at all. I don't see the same things that most people see with the defeats to City, Liverpool, Brentford. Brentford was too early. Liverpool was a freak result, first half we actually played very well.

The way I see it is our general performances away to any decent team is a bigger issue. Only away game we have performed is against Barcelona. Other than that I don't see many issues with ETH, more with our squad. If ETH renews DDG that would be a bigger issue for me.
The humiliation is in the lack of reaction when the going gets tough. Like someone is abusing you and you don't defend yourself, you don't show any character. Not the massive with the home form where they feel comfortable

We just have to be patient, Erik had to literally cobble together a silk purse out of a sows ear and last night proved how incapable we are with a couple of key players missing. With a summer reset and hopefully new owners, we can get back on course.

Last edited:
The humiliation is in the lack of reaction when the going gets tough. Like someone is abusing you and you don't defend yourself, you don't show any character. Not the massive with the home form where they feel comfortable
Why would that suddenly be on the manager when the majority of the players are the same (yesterday basically only Casemiro and Eriksen were EtH signings) as we’ve accused for having poor character and mentality for the past three years.

Like I said in another thread. The last few weeks have only highlighted how big the rebuilding job in the squad actually is if we want to play the way EtH wants. Basically everyone outside our starting XI (and some within it) are unsuitable for the football they want to play. It’s quite obvious that we’re not just a striker and a midfielder/RB away from challenging on all fronts like some have suggested.

When we are good, we are really good. When we are bad, we are fecking shit!

Next season ETH needs to really work on game management and be more flexible when it comes to tactics. Can’t be this bad away from home.

Why would that suddenly be on the manager when the majority of the players are the same (yesterday basically only Casemiro and Eriksen were EtH signings) as we’ve accused for having poor character and mentality for the past three years.

Like I said in another thread. The last few weeks have only highlighted how big the rebuilding job in the squad actually is if we want to play the way EtH wants. Basically everyone outside our starting XI (and some within it) are unsuitable for the football they want to play. It’s quite obvious that we’re not just a striker and a midfielder/RB away from challenging on all fronts like some have suggested.
Everyone is responsible is some way. You can't praise the manager and his staff when we do well and say they're absolved of responsibilities when we lose badly.
A manager has also got the responsibility to impact the players he didn't buy because that's what they do 99% of the time. You can't just land at a club and have 7-8 new shiny toys.
The responsibility for the good and bad results are shared between the players, coaching staff and owners

Maybe that's a problem with you then? The results are not the issue. The performances are. All of these were performances with no backbone once things started going against us. Sure it's all good when teams give us enough space for Antony to do his fancy stuff, but when bullied, we just roll over and hope for the 90 minute whistle. The manager surely has to take some responsibility for that. Take a look at Klopp's first Liverpool team. It was a crap team and they were losing quite a bit, but the effort was not once in question.

When you are implementing a new system, sometimes there are growing pains and certain players play themselves out of a future. You don't implement a system well by changing core fundamentals because 1 player gets injured. You force it through, might not work out, but you address it in the transfer window when you get the chance to, if you have the money.

I get what you're saying. He surely knows DDG and Maguire are incapable of playing it out from the back.

If I was made manager in the morning, the first thing I'd say to de Gea is "listen mate, don't try and pass the ball out, just knock it long. And don't even think about passing it to Maguire under any circumstances".

But maybe Ten Hag is thinking if he did that, sure he'd probably avoid conceding numerous calamitous goals, but it would only serve to mask the shortcomings in de Gea's and Maguire's game. And he doesn't want to mask their shortcomings, he wants to expose them.

Personally, it's overly dogmatic for my liking. At this stage of the season, games are too important to sacrifice on the altar of principle.

Henderson may not be much but he is currently better than De Gea , if there is no money to replace De Gea instead of renewing His contract I would rather Give Henderson a chance next season and revisit the situation in 2024 .

He burnt his bridges slagging off club,if he hadn't mouthed off then would give him a shot

The will I’m sure is there but Rome wasn’t build in a day. We have turned OT into somewhat of a fortress. If we were also good away from home we’d hit 80 points and that was never happening this season

The sour taste will remain when you have the likes of De Ge, Maguire and Co fecking about gifting goals away out of nothing. People got a bit over excited due to our run. The huge cracks remain.

The will I’m sure is there but Rome wasn’t build in a day. We have turned OT into somewhat of a fortress. If we were also good away from home we’d hit 80 points and that was never happening this season

The sour taste will remain when you have the likes of De Ge, Maguire and Co fecking about gifting goals away out of nothing. People got a bit over excited due to our run. The huge cracks remain.
5 goals out of 5 were gifts vs Sevilla. Even the corner kick, De Gea is too slow to react and he barely got off the floor.

It's not a loss though is it? We've been dog shit since the end of February and could end the season with just the league cup. Wouldn't that be hilarious eh?
But we haven't though.

We sit third, with another semi final to come and still in a great position for top four.

Just played the best game for a while in the league against Forest, played a decent game against Everton, solid against Brentford.

People need to get a grip.

He burnt his bridges slagging off club,if he hadn't mouthed off then would give him a shot
Club and Ole mishandled his situation really badly to be honest but if he is persona non grata then we should simply sell him along with releasing De Gea that would be enough to get decent enough keeper .

What I fear after this match and subsequent manager calling them out, knowing we are short of options, is these players now doing what they've done previously and downing tools or trying to undermine him.

After Ragnick and Mourinho did a similar assessment did the club back them, or did they back the players? It's not as if Rangnick didn't produce a full report for ETH which he decided against. Now he's acting as though only he can solve this whereas others didn't get the backing.

Now I'm not going to criticise ETH because there is only so much you can do to coach or set up a team when you have limited options. Now it's down to ensuring that if he cannot trust the players, he must call up some youngsters or even change formation or play players out of positions. That is better than risking two or three from damaging our chances of getting top 4. If he continues now to select players who are not good enough then he becomes complicit if the results go against, especially if they deliberately don't try.

Sometimes he makes decisions that I just can't fathom, tonight in the first half he played Eriksen in the 6 and Casemerio was playing as an 8. Eriksen as a 6 he has tried a few times this season with not a huge amount success and Casemerio looked a bit lost at 8. Is it to simple to play your best no 6 at 6 in a difficult euro away game.

I understand the theory was to try and control the first phase but it failed miserably and then as a result we were just so open and getting played through at will because Eriksen dosent have the defensive instincts to really play as a 6.

Sometimes you have to realise patterns that have continued for long can’t just change because you have replaced one guy at the top.
Players like DDG, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Martial (maybe even Shaw at times) have shown time & time again that they cannot deliver when they are put under the cosh. The cup semi finals & finals, the countless times we have shit the bed in the league whenever there was any remote possibility of achieving something.
The drop off in quality & mentality from first X1 to second string is huge. This is a result of years of buying the wrong players with wrong personalities - Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Sancho etc. and cannot be solved in just one summer window.
When Rashford is half fit, who do you turn to? Sancho is not good enough and Garnacho is injured.
Martial quits whenever the going gets tough and all we can do is to bring on a striker playing in the Turkish league. Other players such as Elanga have shown they don’t have the quality and are here because the previous management decided to give them lavish contracts at first hint of promise.
I believe if EtH is backed for a few consecutive windows, we will be there where everyone hopes us to see as a team. Consistent title & trophy challenging team with a fighting mentality. Need to bring in 3-4 quality players and ship out the ones who have been given enough chances to prove themselves.

When you are implementing a new system, sometimes there are growing pains and certain players play themselves out of a future. You don't implement a system well by changing core fundamentals because 1 player gets injured. You force it through, might not work out, but you address it in the transfer window when you get the chance to, if you have the money.
Yeh exactly, that's what he's doing alright. Probably the right thing to do now you say it. And as you say aswell you wheedle out the ones that can't play that style. That list is getting pretty long now though :lol:

200million in sales ? Is Rashford for sale ??

In a perfect world where we would be able to offload Maguire, De Gea, Sancho, Martial and McTominay for actual money, we could be looking at close to that. Maguire and McTominay could both be £30m or so each, and Sancho could still fetch £40m or so but it’s us selling so it’ll be much less (and most of them will probably stay regardless).

In a perfect world where we would be able to offload Maguire, De Gea, Sancho, Martial and McTominay for actual money, we could be looking at close to that. Maguire and McTominay could both be £30m or so each, and Sancho could still fetch £40m or so but it’s us selling so it’ll be much less (and most of them will probably stay regardless).
Still nowhere near the 200m. Sancho is closer to £20m tbh, he's just shit and that's without his wages. He's be an idiot to lower them and for that reason, no one will wanna touch him

The guy needs to be backed in the transfer Market. This season has been in the main pretty good, but of late its been up and down, and that's because we're in the business end of a very long season, with a shit load of injuries, suspension etc..

Learn from this, get the squad better for next season. Eth needs quality as replacements for his 14 players per match say.. if the Glazers don't invest in the club next season if they don't sell, some of the dead wood we got at OT will get this guy sacked as well, I don't want that he needs backing and we can get better.

The guy needs to be backed in the transfer Market. This season has been in the main pretty good, but of late its been up and down, and that's because we're in the business end of a very long season, with a shit load of injuries, suspension etc..

Learn from this, get the squad better for next season. Eth needs quality as replacements for his 14 players per match say.. if the Glazers don't invest in the club next season if they don't sell, some of the dead wood we got at OT will get this guy sacked as well, I don't want that he needs backing and we can get better.
Better start a GoFundMe cause our current owners are broke & it’ll take a miracle to get the club sold in reasonable time for the Summer.

If Sancho's reported wages are true, we will never sell him.

No one is stupid enough to offer him those wages.

Last season showed Ten Hag needs to build a side he can trust. Last night demonstrated it.

The club (non) sale will be crucial to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.