Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Casemiro hadn't joined, would Ten Hag actually be doing a better job than Ole or Mourinho? Seems like the squads better, but the mentality hasn't changed at all

You have a great opportunity to make a killing at the bookies this weekend and the rest of the season, if you think the current league table is a reliable indicator of future performance.
Sure, but in the same way one terrible game isn't an indicator of future performance either. We've won our last three PL games

Their league position is a bit false though for how they are now. After sacking the manager they’ve improved a lot and were clearly being hamstrung by Sampaoli. They’ve also had unheard of amounts of luck in both legs.
We were unlucky with that this year. Sevilla changed a manager just before our game, Villa, Wolves, Leeds did it too just before us.

Last weekend was great for us but it's not confirmed yet. Once it is I don't care what happens but we've put it at serious risk by trying to go as deep as possible in all comps

I guess we shouldn’t have tried to win the games we played.

Considering what happened at Anfield as well, how about we split the difference and say they are probably fatigued?
I can’t see why that teams would be fatigued, players out there played little football as of late?
Due to circumstance they should really be quite refreshed. So many are either subs who only play every so often or Casemiro who’s had a month off. Eriksen had a long lay off as well, Martial only just back

We have been steadily regressing for the past 2 months. Sure, we've had injuries and suspensions, but less and less is seen from the working being put in training.

Once again the team was not focused in the beginning of the game and was bested in the effort department. Not being able to improve in those aspects is worrisome.
What training though? We've played every third or fourth day since the World cup ended in December, apart from the international break. And now the injuries are racking up. We've had Rashford out, Garnacho's out, Eriksen's been out for three months, our first-choice CB partnership is out at the same time as well as our starting LB, we've missed Casemiro through suspension and tonight we didn't have Bruno either.

Why do you keep mentioning Ole? Failed Cardiff manager got absolutely free ride first season and a half. In his first season , if you wanted to criticize him, you needed to start a post with "i love Ole but..."

FCM is the worst manager appointment in history of PL so there is really no point to talk about him.

Oh feck off with the failed Cardiff manager shite. People need to give it a rest. It seems Ole lives rent free in some people’s heads. He did ok here and then rightly had to go.

Not really sure what he could of done differently today, picked the best squad that was available and the team absolutely shit the bed, he changed it at half time and Dave basically threw the game away like he had gambling debts.
I think criticism is less about the teamsheet and more about the evident flaws in our preparation that keep leading to these embarrassing outcomes.

Literally nobody thinks this is the peak of what this squad of players is capable of: 4-0, 6-3, 3-1, 7-0, 3-0. The manager has to be held to account for that. Far weaker squads aren’t getting outclassed and outfought with such regularity.

We have been steadily regressing for the past 2 months. Sure, we've had injuries and suspensions, but less and less is seen from the working being put in training.

Once again the team was not focused in the beginning of the game and was bested in the effort department. Not being able to improve in those aspects is worrisome.
Dont think there is much training that takes place as we are playing every 3/4 days. Most time must be for recovery. But agreed that since Eriksen injury and Casemiro red card this team hasn't been the same.

Too many disasterous results this season. Him getting Weghorst in, keeps playing Maguire when anybody would be better. Strange subs especially in that 1st leg. I'm not convinced by him but there are some positives, midfield has looked a bit better, Rashford has been excellent as has Martínez.

Next year will tell us a lot more. Maguire and De Gea need to leave asap.

I think criticism is less about the teamsheet and more about the evident flaws in our preparation that keep leading to these embarrassing outcomes.

Literally nobody things this is the peak of what this squad of players is capable of: 4-0, 6-3, 3-1, 7-0, 3-0. The manager has to be held to account for that. Far weaker squads aren’t getting outclassed and outfought with such regularity.

The fragility and mentality is a worrying aspect which we need to resolve before next season.

If we're being honest, ten hag is living off hype at the moment from carabola cup trophy. Every time we come across a competent team away from home, he lacks ideas and doesn't know how to set the team out, not to mention lacklustre in game management.

Not sure why Ole needs to be mentioned everytime United lose. Can we not move on as a fanbase? Are some of you still missing Mourinho, Van Gaal, Moyes?

I can’t see why that teams would be fatigued, players out there played little football as of late?
Due to circumstance they should really be quite refreshed. So many are either subs who only play every so often or Casemiro who’s had a month off. Eriksen had a long lay off as well, Martial only just back
I'm just searching for an explanation.

Not sure why Ole needs to be mentioned everytime United lose. Can we not move on as a fanbase? Are some of you still missing Mourinho, Van Gaal, Moyes?
Same reason Jose gets mentioned and hung over like a cloud during Ole's time. Current always gets compared to previous.

Literally nobody things this is the peak of what this squad of players is capable of: 4-0, 6-3, 3-1, 7-0, 3-0. The manager has to be held to account for that. Far weaker squads aren’t getting outclassed and outfought with such regularity.
One could argue that City and Liverpool are far more up for it against us than other teams tbf. It's still inexcusable on our part of course, but they definitely go harder against us than other teams. If Liverpool played like they did against us in every game they'd win the league

Literally nobody thinks this is the peak of what this squad of players is capable of: 4-0, 6-3, 3-1, 7-0, 3-0. The manager has to be held to account for that. Far weaker squads aren’t getting outclassed and outfought with such regularity.

I don't think we were outclassed tonight,out fought I’d agree.

Because we didn't go out of Europe this poorly under Ole.

Reached the semi final and final under him too and the Sevilla team that beat us in the semi final under Ole was miles better than this Sevilla team. The current one is 13th.

We did. The CL group stage exit in 2020-2021 was more embarrassing than this. We threw that group away.

One could argue that City and Liverpool are far more up for it against us than other teams tbf. It's still inexcusable on our part of course, but they definitely go harder against us than other teams. If Liverpool played like they did against us in every game they'd win the league

Other teams defeated us by 3s and 4s this season as well. Also what prevents us from going extra against Liverpool and City ?

What training though? We've played every third or fourth day since the World cup ended in December, apart from the international break. And now the injuries are racking up. We've had Rashford out, Garnacho's out, Eriksen's been out for three months, our first-choice CB partnership is out at the same time as well as our starting LB, we've missed Casemiro through suspension and tonight we didn't have Bruno either.
But, here is the thing. There is excuse for ETH how we play great football with best 11 (which we do) and how he can't do it when we are missing two or three players.
So that would mean that we need 10 new players? Well we will not get those. We will buy 3, maybe 4 players. So many of our current subs will be here next year.

Eth has great ideas and is absolutely talented manager but he will need to adapt in some way.

We weren't as good as Sevilla and never sustain that pressure. City at home was the perfect example. We were lucky in that game and it went against the run of okay for us to get 2 goals. We barely touched the ball. Liverpool at home was the closest. It's clear to me there is no intention for us to be that type of team.
We were better than City in the 1st half and play with similar intensity, albeit still rather toothless in attack, they then dominated us for 20 min in the 2nd half before Garnacho sub and the Bruno goal changed the game. That for me is very similar to tonight, as both home team got gifted a big break.

I don’t know about intentions, but given EtH has repeatedly criticized our effort level in recent weeks, it’s clearly he’s not happy with it. For me, the main issues with this team is a) mental frailty and b) poor basic technical level, primarily in possession. Neither can be changed by coaching these players, we need investment. And while Weghorst and Sabitzer have sown some doubts in my mind about his judgement, the players he’s brought in so far and said to have targeted do share a similar profile in being better in possession than our lot under Mourinho-Ole.

I think this is accurate:

Ten Hag has done an incredible revival job with Wan-Bissaka and Rashford but there's no future with De Gea, Lindelof and Maguire.

There's only so much a manager can do. He changed a lot within the team in a short time, and got us playing well again. We've been playing with no proper striker all season, and most of our back up players are rubbish. The last thing we needed today was a De Gea and Maguire special. But we know that both shouldn't be here anymore. What exactly is he supposed to do?
Change tactics a bit when we play shitter players? Not make de gea and Maguire try to play it out from the back inside the first ten minutes of such a hostile high pressure game? Simple things like getting the all away from our goal untill the game settles a bit. We all know de gea and Maguire can’t play like that, get them to send it ffs.
my biggest bug bear is the insistence to try and win everything in his first season and run the team in the ground when Everyman and his dog knows we haven’t got the squad for it, treat it like a marathon, he’s had backing, get top four, actually try and coach the squad to a style in training, he said himself we are using matches as training, that’s not good enough because our football has been largely shit for ages and getting run over by any decent team.

i like ten hag, I’m happy he is here, I want him to stay but he has been very naive imo

Their league position is a bit false though for how they are now. After sacking the manager they’ve improved a lot and were clearly being hamstrung by Sampaoli. They’ve also had unheard of amounts of luck in both legs.

I still don’t understand how we lost (and heavily in the end). I mean, for all we had Rashford or Bruno out, they had Erik Lamela upfront!

If Casemiro hadn't joined, would Ten Hag actually be doing a better job than Ole or Mourinho? Seems like the squads better, but the mentality hasn't changed at all
Probably not. Good recruitment is more important than any manager.

Performances are barely better than last season. Certainly not away from home.

The fragility and mentality is a worrying aspect which we need to resolve before next season.
Simple, you go to South America and scout a bunch of street hardened Argentinians and Brazilians who haven't been pampered at day school. Throw them in with the good players we have and shed the rest.

Those of us old enough will recall SAF first years here. The chants of Fergie out from sections of the stretford end… imagine if Redcafe existed then. All these fools saying replace ETH would be at the front shouting Fergie out . it took 4 years to lay the foundations for the golden Fergie years.
I have absolute confidence in ETH. its his first season he inherited a team that was shocking last season. We are third in the league, won a trophy and in the FA cup semi. We have had horrendous injuries all season.
Get a grip, You dont change manager because you loose a game or two.

And the rest of us also the remember the first years of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole and the same set of senile old fools trying to convince everyone back then it was exactly what happened under Ferguson too.

Rinse and repeat. Same story for the last 10 years.

Top 4 and the cup is a decent first season for ETH. We have to be realistic.
Yes let’s be realistic. Without Liverpool’s and Chelsea’s downfall we would not be in fourth right now, and our goal difference is similar to last season. We were well beaten by Brentford, Liverpool, City, Sevilla, Aston Villa and Newcastle.
I’m not saying this has been a bad season, but I expected more.

Other teams defeated us by 3s and 4s this season as well. Also what prevents us from going extra against Liverpool and City ?
You're right, we should. But I don't think we have the players or the mentality, sadly

Got battered away from home way too often.
Probably not in this game since our captain and best goal keeper in the world gifted Sevilla 3 goals but the manager has to take some responsibilities.

Probably not. Good recruitment is more important than any manager.

Performances are barely better than last season.
Certainly not away from home.
This is just bizarre nonsense. How could an adult type that sentence with a straight face?

And the rest of us also the remember the first years of Moyes, LVG, Mourinho & Ole and the same set of senile old fools trying to convince everyone back then it was exactly what happened under Ferguson too.

Exactly.

Well said. I’m still behind ETH as the good outweighs the bad but pretending that being crap for 4 years is a prerequisite for developing into a title winning team is a uniquely United delusion.

You're right, we should. But I don't think we have the players or the mentality, sadly

Even while being shit post Fergie, we hadn't received such big number of humiliations in one season since Moyes. These were sporadic or happening once a season or so. We're seeing it now for like 5th time this year ! It's definitely Ten Hag's fault at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.