Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
75 this season is a good total. Again you are just overrating this squad. Since SAF retired only twice have we crossed 70 plus points. So 75 in ETH's first season will be a good return.
I would say it is ok, not good.

But worryingly, I think there have been more bad signs than good ones. We rarely play that well (a few matches in the entire season), while we get consistently thrashed away from home.

So many games we create nothing.
You can't create chances after chances if you don't control games and pass the ball well.

We are still a transition team. We play to apart from each other. Ball over the top. No quick build up, no pressing.

Even a talk of pressing is not there. We don't even try to press anymore.

Our midfield is overrun almost every game.

Our goalkeeper situation is unraveling fast.

Our striking situation is dead. The last striker we signed is Lukaku. Since then it's just pensioners. From Igalo, Cavani, R7, Weghorst.

Our RB position in unknown territory.

Now, we need
Striker
2 CM
GK
RB

H has to find solutions to this problems, because it's evident the team is not being coached.

He said it's because of too many games, but we can't autopilot next season.

It's evident we lack any plan when we go away from home.

Ole wasn't the answer. Wasn't as bad as you all claim he was either though.

This is the earliest we have departed the Europa League. Embarrassing.

He failed miserably here. Move on and focus on the current United. No matter how much you talk about him, it's not going to change what happened.

Also, we departed earlier in the season we played EL under Ferguson.

It's not a loss though is it? We've been dog shit since the end of February and could end the season with just the league cup. Wouldn't that be hilarious eh?

Top 4 and the cup is a decent first season for ETH. We have to be realistic.

What did you expect from this squad, win the league or challenge for the title? We are 3rd, so am.unsure what expectations did you have from him.
It’s one thing to have gotten results so far, to be third. It’s another thing to ask yourself where you think we would be if a season started tomorrow? My concern is that I think we are still only the 5th-8th best team in the country, comparable with Newcastle, Brighton and probably Villa too, each of whom has far thinner and cheaper squads.

It is hard to be optimistic about the next season now. We’re miles off competing for the league or being one of the top team in Europe. We’re not close to where Ole or Mourinho had us, sadly. We’ve a got a couple of major issues in our squad and seem to be nowhere to securing a top CF and apparently want to re-sign one of the worst goalkeepers in the league.

I thought Ten Hag had a tough job at United. I thought he would do well to keep his job this season. I think he will do well to do the same next season.

I feel less angry than I was last week weirdly, because i'm asking myself 'what did you expect?' . This isn't an EtH team yet and he's playing players that have consistently failed many managers, and by necessity because of an injury crisis. EtH isn't without blame but it's clear as day some of this squad needs to go.

Still can't believe he took off Bruno and Antony off so early last week. That was the turning point in the tie.

Dreadful decisions. Had Ole done that there would be riots on here.

He takes a lot of the blame for this disaster does the manager. Took them lightly and paid the price.

I'm not too worried about a few losses, but the number of absolutely pathetic showings lately has me a bit bothered.

Hopefully after this summer it's all his team and he can show us something else more consistently.

The football we play - even with our best XI all fit - is not at all what I envisaged we'd be playing when he was first appointed. I feel like I was sold a dream about his style of football.

Not terribly bothered by the loss, as I want Top 4 secured above all else. That being said, we really need that sweet sweet Qatari money to bring in more talent.

Get him some competent owners who’ll back him and not give him Weghorst when we need a number 9.
He needs another 3 or 4 players in the summer to allow him to start to transform this squad.
The quality when the first 11 aren’t together is such a drop off

That's a double edged sword you know. Competent owners won't have enough patience after losing by 7 goals to Liverpool.

He failed miserably here. Move on and focus on the current United. No matter how much you talk about him, it's not going to change what happened.

He isn't trying to change what happened. He's trying to improve you as a poster.

Current Utd team is miles away. What's to discuss?

The most important thing we need to do now is just make him a coach. I'm actually hoping any new owners coming in sack Murtough as the first decision. He seems to just do whatever EtH wants, from signings to contract extensions.

EtH has been adamant about wanting DDG to stay, despite him being a terrible fit for the type of goalie he needs. He also has a maddening trust for playing Eriksen as a CM in tough away games. How many times does it need to be proven that we need legs in these type of games. The Weghorst pick was also his and that might cost us the season in terms of top 4. Even if we do make it we'll be scraping through.

Get him a team of players of his type and just let him coach and make no other decisions. This squad is the opposite of a possession based team.

I think he struggles to get push their buttons at times it seems. Probably a personality trait he lacks is to blame.
I think it’s because half these players know they’re either gone in the summer or aren’t first choice no matter what they do.
We had two RBS on tonight knowing we are after a 50m RB in the summer and one of them is gone, two players on the pitch at the same time that are on loan with a number 9 who knows he’s gone because he can’t stay for for 90 minutes. We have a keeper who knows he’s so bad that has has to negotiate less money to stay! That’s without mentioning the two CBs

He was missing Martinez, Varane, Rashford, Shaw, Bruno, McTominay and Garnacho from the start and lost Martial and the start of the second half. No manager would be able to deal with 5 guaranteed starters and arguably our 3 best backups missing at the same time.

De Gea is also a complete liability and has never been good in high pressure situations. His two mistakes were criminal and it totally saps the rest of the players of confidence. If Ten Hag doesn't replace him in the summer then I'll start having doubts.

A lot of fans seem to know that a lot of our players aren't good enough and that our squad is wafer thin, yet still think the manager should be performing miracles. He's actually a victim of his own success in that he's overachieved somewhat this season, people got giddy in January thinking we were in a title race and now think he's underachieving because we're fighting for third and not winning games in Spain with Maguire and Lindelof at the back.

A few points:

- comparison with failed United managers of the past 10:years seems irrelevant - we are not competing against Ole, Jose, LVG etc
- exceeding expectations this year- true but no one saw Liverpool’s collapse or Chelsea’s further descent into a circus
- winning the Carabao Cup was a notable achievement
- the third best team in England should not be losing comfortably to the 15th best side in Spain

In conclusion, while there have been some high points and the results have been generally good, criticism of the manager is not unwarranted. He still has to prove that he can compete at this level (and the club has to prove that it is willing to compete through spending).

It’s one thing to have gotten results so far, to be third. It’s another thing to ask yourself where you think we would be if a season started tomorrow? My concern is that I think we are still only the 5th-8th best team in the country, comparable with Newcastle, Brighton and probably Villa too, each of whom has far thinner and cheaper squads.
We are the 3rd best team in the country, as that's what the table shows

He allowed himself to be conned by the same players that sacked the previous two/three managers. It'll cost him the job eventually as we can't replace everyone. His answer for the midfield also doesn't work vs the good teams as the Casemiro - Eriksen combo simply don't have the legs.

If we continue with Casemiro - Eriksen - Bruno next season, top 4 is all we can hope for. Which is fine, I guess.

Don't think we going win FA now. The mentality of these players hasn't changed.
Let secure top 4 and call it a day.

Dreadful decisions. Had Ole done that there would be riots on here.

He takes a lot of the blame for this disaster does the manager. Took them lightly and paid the price.
Why do you keep mentioning Ole? Failed Cardiff manager got absolutely free ride first season and a half. In his first season , if you wanted to criticize him, you needed to start a post with "i love Ole but..."

FCM is the worst manager appointment in history of PL so there is really no point to talk about him.

Those of us old enough will recall SAF first years here. The chants of Fergie out from sections of the stretford end… imagine if Redcafe existed then. All these fools saying replace ETH would be at the front shouting Fergie out . it took 4 years to lay the foundations for the golden Fergie years.
I have absolute confidence in ETH. its his first season he inherited a team that was shocking last season. We are third in the league, won a trophy and in the FA cup semi. We have had horrendous injuries all season.
Get a grip, You dont change manager because you loose a game or two.

We are the 3rd best team in the country, as that's what the table shows
You have a great opportunity to make a killing at the bookies this weekend and the rest of the season, if you think the current league table is a reliable indicator of future performance.

A few points:

- comparison with failed United managers of the past 10:years seems irrelevant - we are not competing against Ole, Jose, LVG etc
- exceeding expectations this year- true but no one saw Liverpool’s collapse or Chelsea’s further descent into a circus
- winning the Carabao Cup was a notable achievement
- the third best team in England should not be losing comfortably to the 15th best side in Spain

In conclusion, while there have been some high points and the results have been generally good, criticism of the manager is not unwarranted. He still has to prove that he can compete at this level (and the club has to prove that it is willing to compete through spending).

Their league position is a bit false though for how they are now. After sacking the manager they’ve improved a lot and were clearly being hamstrung by Sampaoli. They’ve also had unheard of amounts of luck in both legs.

Not really sure what he could of done differently today, picked the best squad that was available and the team absolutely shit the bed, he changed it at half time and Dave basically threw the game away like he had gambling debts.

Why do you keep mentioning Ole? Failed Cardiff manager got absolutely free ride first season and a half. In his first season , if you wanted to criticize him, you needed to start a post with "i love Ole but..."

FCM is the worst manager appointment in history of PL so there is really no point to talk about him.

Because we didn't go out of Europe this poorly under Ole.

Reached the semi final and final under him too and the Sevilla team that beat us in the semi final under Ole was miles better than this Sevilla team. The current one is 13th.

I think it’s because half these players know they’re either gone in the summer or aren’t first choice no matter what they do.
We had two RBS on tonight knowing we are after a 50m RB in the summer and one of them is gone, two players on the pitch at the same time that are on loan with a number 9 who knows he’s gone because he can’t stay for for 90 minutes. We have a keeper who knows he’s so bad that has has to negotiate less money to stay! That’s without mentioning the two CBs
Considering what happened at Anfield as well, how about we split the difference and say they are probably fatigued?

The pattern is concerning, unless (a) we have the resources to strengthen by at least 4 players (or can bring them through -but who in terms of readiness) and (b) he's able to properly identify who's competent to play this style and who isn't. Bringing in Martinez and Eriksen showed that to a certain extent but I'm not sure if either he or the club are ruthless enough (and certainly in the club's case, competent enough) to get rid of those players, including phasing out De Gea.

Tiredness and freakish series of injuries and players being ring-rusty has contributed to this, but the team (and by extension he) still seemed caught out by Sevilla, as with 3-4 previous occasions away from home, in a way which lots of commentators here foresaw..

Someone like Pep has obviously made errors, particularly in overcomplicating things, but he'd never play players simply incapable of taking on the opposition using the style he's asked them to play (with the exception of when PG asked Claudio Bravo to save the opponents shots...)

The lack of a striker and any goal scoring threat outside Rashford is staring us in the face. Get a clinical striker and we would be finishing chances. Antony hasn’t hit the ground running and Sancho is all over the shop. Squad depth has also played a part. However if we can win the FA Cup and get top 4 it would be a decent base to build from for next season.

We have been steadily regressing for the past 2 months. Sure, we've had injuries and suspensions, but less and less is seen from the working being put in training.

Once again the team was not focused in the beginning of the game and was bested in the effort department. Not being able to improve in those aspects is worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.