Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 5/7 of our best players either out or playing injured?
It’s so comical I don’t know what can be read into it. DDG and Maguire should be gone in the summer but that isn’t a surprise.
If we had a full team out there I’d be raging but it’s as if it were a snapshot of the Past from what we were to what we are. It feels like I went time travelling tonight. All we needed was Ashley Young at fullback and I’d be convinced I was watching a re run.

This was a 180 minute feck up, not just tonight. The first leg at Old Trafford was a car crash. I’m not calling for Erik’s head but this farcical exit against a relegation-threatened La Liga side does raise some red flags. The Glazers won’t care less but, if we have new owners from Qatar, they will be asking how our lavishly funded side lost heavily to a team with Erik Lamela up front.

The PL in Mourinho's first season was far stronger than the current PL. Current PL is shit to be honest. Liverpool and Chelsea aren't getting European football next season.

At the start of the season? No. We were not expected to achieve top 4 football in the Summer. The best football played this season has been better than the best football played by Mourinho in 16/17 in my view. We also got tonked a few times then too.

You didn't answer my question. Why do you think we struggle against the press?
Our GK and back line cannot handle it. I agree. But what about all the times when we had the ball, why couldn’t we string two passes together the other 70 mins?

Mind you, it is not bad as under Ole or Mourinho's last season. But it is also not that much better than them in their first two seasons (and worse than Mourinho's second).
Mourinho’s second season was dire, but we got an inexplicably inflated points total. The wheels were very clearly coming off.

I agree with your main point though. We’re still not as good as we have been under other managers post-Ferguson, but better than our worst periods under other managers. The Carabao is doing a lot of work in embellishing our season.

fecking hell the state of some of you.

Trophy in the bag, top 4 likely, semi-final to play, all with 5 new additions (not including loans which let’s be honest are only here because we are skint) to a team that in all honesty needed at least 10 this time last year.

I don’t know what some people expect some times.
Agree

Where we are right now is great, given how the last couple of seasons were. We've all been saying that ETH has surpassed our expectations. Yes it was a shit game, but have some perspective. We're still doing well, and we still have a way to go.

Also feel like everyone is ignoring how much we fecking gifted this tie to them. 4 goals which have very little to do with managerial tactics and are almost entirely just on pitch feck ups

Obviously ETH has done well overall but I will be honest he just coached our most embarrassing knockout in Europe that I can remember off the top of my head.

That Sevilla side are abysmal.

Our first eleven are good but the back ups are terrible. People can say that the team wasn’t good enough but if we weren’t capable of playing out from the back or pushing up field cause we were afraid of being caught out then maybe we shouldn’t have tried to play that type footy from the start?

ETH is good for United and he has done good work so far but our hammerings this season tend to be players proven to not be able to play his football being asked to play that football. Hopefully a clear out is coming but a bit of pragmatism wouldn’t go amiss sometimes either

You do realise he's ahead of where Pep was at the same point and Pep took over a far better run club that was challenging for the league?
I'm talking about the style of play, not the results. The way Pep's teams control the game and dont find themselves up against it on the regular.

If you get the performances right, the results will follow. If you're getting the results but the performances are lacking, then you'll be found out sooner or later.

In the first leg we lost control after a freak injury. In this one, we never had control. Defensive mistakes aside, we never looked like scoring. That is a bit worrying.

I crack up every time he decides to put Weghorst on :lol:
Its hilarious and concerning.

So ? What does have to do with anything ?

Poor in game management in first game last week?

Not bringing on Fred to make sure of the 2-0 and he brought on Elanga and Weghorst and we fell apart. Those two own goals never happen last week if we just played it safe.

This was a 180 minute feck up, not just tonight. The first leg at Old Trafford was a car crash. I’m not calling for Erik’s head but this farcical exit against a relegation-threatened La Liga side does raise some red flags. The Glazers won’t care less but, if we have new owners from Qatar, they will be asking how our lavishly funded side lost heavily to a team with Erik Lamela up front.
You can’t blame two own goals and an injury that left us with 10 men down to Ten Hag?
It feels like a Liverpool fan found a magic lamp with 15 minutes to go last week and wreaked havoc!

Not bringing on Fred to make sure of the 2-0 and he brought on Elanga and Weghorst and we fell apart. Those two own goals never happen last week if we just played it safe.
You think those two own goals happened because we were too open?

We’ve had those performances, City home, Liverpool home, Barca away, the problem it’s all too sporadic and this team is falling apart due to fatigue, injuries, and sadly, mental scars. I think for many players it’s too far gone and there’s no coaching that can save them from collapsing again like this, or Liverpool away, City away, Brentford away, Villa away etc

We weren't as good as Sevilla and never sustain that pressure. City at home was the perfect example. We were lucky in that game and it went against the run of okay for us to get 2 goals. We barely touched the ball. Liverpool at home was the closest. It's clear to me there is no intention for us to be that type of team.

At the start of the season? No. We were not expected to achieve top 4 football in the Summer. The best football played this season has been better than the best football played by Mourinho in 16/17 in my view. We also got tonked a few times then too.

Yes the expectations in Mourinho's first season were higher than the current season's.

I'm talking about the "relative strength of PL" point you mentioned. The league back then was far stronger. Current PL is shit.

The only big defeat we got in 2016/2017 was the 4-0 loss to Chelsea. We were actually hard to defeat in this season, just couldn't score goals to save our lives so didn't win much either. The current season is the one with the most humiliations we have received ever since Moyes season. How many times we lost by 3 goals ? Beside the 4, 6 and 7 we conceded as well.

Mourinho’s second season was dire, but we got an inexplicably inflated points total. The wheels were very clearly coming off.

I agree with your main point though. We’re still not as good as we have been under other managers post-Ferguson, but better than our worst periods under other managers. The Carabao is doing a lot of work in embellishing our season.
That's how we have been this season IMO. Won quite a few matches which we were the second best. But we get consistently thrashed away from home.

Yeah we already said that. Ten Hag sucks in managing away games. The difference between us and you is we criticize Ten Hag without shoehorning Ole in the discussion. You can't talk negatively about Ten Hag without talking about your idol. That's the difference.

So who should be playing, Mr Sancho of posters
If LVG was thinking like that then Rashford would never got a chance. And McNair, Blackett and few others.

Yeah, many of those flopped but that is why you have academy. If you have injury crisis (or your first team players are completely out of form) you deal with it with the best talents from youth. And in that way you can get first teamer for future.
ETH dealt with it by loaning two players and playing game after game with players whos form is in toilet.
We have Mainoo and Iqbal. Why loan Sabi?

What is the point of academy then?

This logic is so flawed.

Only if I was asking for Moyes to come back it would be which I'm certainly not doing.

Just pointing out how embarrassing this defeat is. They are 13th. They couldn't beat Westham over two legs 12 months ago either.

Honestly, we have been here with Ole. He managed second, look how great he was. Yes, when other clubs are shitting themselves, you can be third (or even second) while having a mediocre season.

We are on course for a 75-point season. That's not good at all. We also had some of the heaviest trashings I remember.

Mind you, it is not bad as under Ole or Mourinho's last season. But it is also not that much better than them in their first two seasons (and worse than Mourinho's second).
75 this season is a good total. Again you are just overrating this squad. Since SAF retired only twice have we crossed 70 plus points. So 75 in ETH's first season will be a good return.

Serious questions about him if he keeps De Gea as his first choice over the longer term.

So ? What does have to do with anything ?
Nearly all of those Sevilla players are still there this season and in the squad that beat us tonight. They're actually worse as a team than they were when they played West Ham. Its pretty embarrassing actually.

Still can't believe he took off Bruno and Antony off so early last week. That was the turning point in the tie.

Get him some competent owners who’ll back him and not give him Weghorst when we need a number 9.
He needs another 3 or 4 players in the summer to allow him to start to transform this squad.
The quality when the first 11 aren’t together is such a drop off

Not at all.

But stop saying this manager is amazing because he clearly isn't. Ole didn't lose in Europe like this. Sevilla and Villarreal were very tight games. This wasn't tight at all.
We clearly have alot of players here that don't suit his style, but I've seen enough to say he's way better than Ole, and what he's trying to do it way better too. Unbelievable that you can't see that

Yeah we already said that. Ten Hag sucks in managing away games. The difference between us and you is we criticize Ten Hag without shoehorning Ole in the discussion. You can't talk negatively about Ten Hag without talking about your idol. That's the difference.

Ole wasn't the answer. Wasn't as bad as you all claim he was either though.

This is the earliest we have departed the Europa League. Embarrassing.

All this talk about replacing ETH is nonsense. He’s not blameless but all things considered he has done a great job so fare and I am sure that he will do even better next year if he is backed in the summer transfer window.
One thing I do blame him though is that he has not stripped Maguire of the armband. He is not Captain material, he never has been and he never will be. He is a clown and I doubt he is respected by any of his teammates, and that is a huge problem when he in his role as Captain is supposed to be the one that motivates and inspire on a day like today. Pretty damn difficult when you personally gift wrap them the first goal first time you touch the ball.

For God's sake, can we please now shut the feck up about Ole? This is the Ten Hag thread - using Ole as an argument just nullifies any valid criticisms about the former.

I'm quite keen to know exactly how he's mentally prepared us for this game tonight. We played very well in the first half in the first leg, and we've then played 3 very poor consecutive halves after that. Could have comfortably won this tie, yet made an absolute meal of it. He's not immune from criticism and, imo, there are some cracks starting to show. You can't justify tonight's performance. No matter who is injured, fit, available, in form, out of form, this is still Manchester United and it's not acceptable to put in a performance like that in a big game. Or rather, two big games.

Obviously ETH has done well overall but I will be honest he just coached our most embarrassing knockout in Europe that I can remember off the top of my head.

That Sevilla side are abysmal.
We went out to Basel under Ferguson. It was basically the same as tonight - no chances made, no drive, looked complete shit. It happens

Too many players have too many off days. It’s very hard for the coach to do something when the players are being so inconsistent. That’s what this club cruelly needs, consistent players, who play always good to great. Our players are either shite or world class from one game to the next. Very frustrating

Perhaps this loss will be the necessary push to be ruthless in his choices from now until the end of the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.