Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s got credit in the bank, but if the Qataris come in he’s going to be on thin ice quickly with performances like this away from home, you don’t pay £6bn to get embarrassed by a lowly Spanish team.

Livid after tonight, but I trust ETH to weed out the trash. Having already shifted so much rubbish, he knows there’s still another big clear out needed.

Too many players don’t have the quality of mentality to do what the manager wants. Massive summer ahead; I pray Erik gets the support, but fear takeover talks will drag on and we’ll be starting with many of the same players next season.
He needs so many players.
A GK
At least one back up CB
A RB
2 CM

Good knows what he needs in terms of the front 3. Sancho,Weghorst,Martial at a minimum need to be dumped.

Both of which were given to him/not his first choices. I agree though that he doesn't help himself. Fred should be playing more.
Weghorst genuinely makes Bebe and Obertan look competent. Pretty much anyone would be better than him.

And Maguire at this stage is a meme. Play Shaw or Casemiro there, but Maguire should not ever play for United.

Nah, he has been mediocre IMO. Luckily for him, we had the worst season in like 30 years, which makes this season looks decent, but we are far from decent.
What did you expect from this squad, win the league or challenge for the title? We are 3rd, so am.unsure what expectations did you have from him.

Who should he play when everybody is getting fecking INJURED, WHO? Some random youth? Bloody hell people.
I beg of you, stop reading this thread tonight. Relax and go to bed. I’m doing the same now.

The replies in here could easily induce an aneurysm. Shocking state of some posters haha.

Not his fault we’re blitzed with injuries to key players and having rely on players that have let us down before under different managers.

You can tell he doesn’t rate Maguire and Lindelof though. I think he’s tried hard to get something out of Sancho but I’m sure he’s wishing he had Garnacho.

So what are you suggesting? Sack him and bring Ole back? :wenger:

Not at all.

But stop saying this manager is amazing because he clearly isn't. Ole didn't lose in Europe like this. Sevilla and Villarreal were very tight games. This wasn't tight at all.

At least this is out of the way now. Honestly - who cares that much about EL?

1. We were cruising it, then injuries and Malacia happened.
2. Tonight was always going to be difficult for any team. The stadium was rocking, they went out for blood since the first minute. We just had to hold them for the first half, and then smash and grab it. But then Maguire and De Gea happened. We gift them a goal in the 7th minute, they'll always get encouraged and perform excellent.
3. The worst thing that can happen is to concede 2nd goal early in the 2nd half. Then it's game over. The 2nd goal is again on De Gea.

It's a difficult season, we had very bad moments and very good moments. The drop in quality from Martinez/Varane to Maguire/Linde is ASTONISHING. Also without Bruno we don't have engine.

Pep had a difficult first season at City, and he inherited a MUCH BETTER team than what ETH has here.
Klopp had difficult first few season at Pool.
Arteta?

This start of the new era is not going to be very easy, we don't have the squad for it. We have a massive summer ahead.

Also, I wish we could sack a bunch of people from here. Honestly, some posts make me feel ashamed that I'm part of this fanbase. We have threads on here where we make fun of posts from other message boards. But the state of redcafe after a bad perfomance is beyond laughable and honestly as bad, if not worse than anything I've seen us make fun of from rawk.

So far, he's done okay-to-decent. But I'm really disappointed by the lack of tactical improvement. I was hoping for a Pep-style imprint on the team, rather naively I suppose. But this is just like a better version of Solskjaer's football.

A GK
At least one back up CB
A RB
2 CM

Good knows what he needs in terms of the front 3. Sancho,Weghorst,Martial at a minimum need to be dumped.

The £80m he spunked on Antony could've gone a lot further

With 5/7 of our best players either out or playing injured?
It’s so comical I don’t know what can be read into it. DDG and Maguire should be gone in the summer but that isn’t a surprise.
If we had a full team out there I’d be raging but it’s as if it were a snapshot of the Past from what we were to what we are. It feels like I went time travelling tonight. All we needed was Ashley Young at fullback and I’d be convinced I was watching a re run.
I'm not raging. I didn't think we'd beat after the 2-2. Even with all the starters out, it shouldn't be a humiliation. There were enough experienced players out there.
When we lose like that, it goes beyond the players, mentally the players aren't prepared correctly.

A GK
At least one back up CB
A RB
2 CM

And that’s only the starting 11. He needs an entire new bench, too. Not unrealistic to say we need to bring in 7-8 new faces.

took too long to fix the midefield tonight, but could only do so much. That said, it is becoming increasingly crucial that he does something about this teams lack of intensity. 1 in 5 matches at least are embarrassing, and he that’s his responsibility to fix over the course of a season.

Not at all.

But stop saying this manager is amazing because he clearly isn't. Ole didn't lose in Europe like this. Sevilla and Villarreal were very tight games. This wasn't tight at all.

Why don't you just go and follow Ole with his new team .. wait he hasn't got a job since getting sacked 2 years ago, has he ?

Top 4 was the only priority this season, nothing else matters, any cup we win is a bonus but not what we need because this squad should look drastically different next year anyway.
Oh I fully agree. It’s a miracle we’ve gotten this far and played so many games with the squad we have.
I said it from the start, we should have used this competition to play the players we basically did tonight because this injury and fixture chaos was always going to happen. Ten Hag fought against it and did well but we basically went out of Europe with that reserve team anyway

Yes because the squad is the squad. People lose form, you get a few injuries and you start drawing and losing games.

This squad isn't there yet. We all knew that going in..
That doesn't change the fact that disappointment will be felt vividly after defeats like that. We have lost too many games in a capitulating manner, for the supposedly 3rd best team in England, it's crazy to me

He is still better than Ole, though. Won a cup and some of the players he brought have been generally better.

So far, he's done okay-to-decent. But I'm really disappointed by the lack of tactical improvement. I was hoping for a Pep-style imprint on the team, rather naively I suppose. But this is just like a better version of Solskjaer's football.

You do realise he's ahead of where Pep was at the same point and Pep took over a far better run club that was challenging for the league?

Why don't you just go and follow Ole with his new team .. wait he hasn't got a job since getting sacked 2 years ago, has he ?

Didn't Westham under Moyes knock Sevilla out of Europe last season?

What did you expect from this squad, win the league or challenge for the title? We are 3rd, so am.unsure what expectations did you have from him.
Honestly, we have been here with Ole. He managed second, look how great he was. Yes, when other clubs are shitting themselves, you can be third (or even second) while having a mediocre season.

We are on course for a 75-point season. That's not good at all. We also had some of the heaviest trashings I remember.

Mind you, it is not bad as under Ole or Mourinho's last season. But it is also not that much better than them in their first two seasons (and worse than Mourinho's second).

How do we unpick the paradox of fans broadly being content with the job that ETH is doing, yet we enter the weekend with Brighton being comfortable favourites with the bookies on a neutral ground this weekend? Even with the injuries, this feels inexcusable.

I really do not know where we stand right now.

Given the expectations from their starting points, I would say no. Especially given the relative strength in the PL and the different teams in the EL..

The PL in Mourinho's first season was far stronger than the current PL. Current PL is shit to be honest. Liverpool and Chelsea aren't getting European football next season.

Statistically, he has not been much better than the previous managers, with the bonus of getting humiliated every other away game.
We have improved over the last season, but we are not much (if any) better than in Mourinho’s or Ole’s first two seasons.
what statistics are you referring to exactly?

FtwL81UXwAM02jg.jpg

Not at all.

Because Ole was just sitting back and countering all the time. ETH is actually trying to implement his style of football that is much riskier and with time it will be worth it. But seeing people on here having patience of a gold fish.

Another capitulation in an away game..

Get top 4 and I'll be happy enough with the season, but our collapses away from home are genuinely worrying. And they keep happening.

He can’t control players on the pitch and can’t be blamed for Sevilla goals but the way we came out for the second half without any urgency, or how we basically stopped playing and put on reserve players at 2-0 at home when the tie could have been put to bed are definitely at least partly on him.

I assume we will finish top 4 and won’t win FA Cup, both of which are fair assumptions I guess, it has been an okay season. Nothing more, nothing less. Definitely not a sackable one for Ten Hag, but also not a brilliant one where we can categorically say he’s going to be our savior. For £200m spent, largely to address our biggest weakness in midfield with one of the most high profile players around, it’s pretty much the minimum you’d expect without being thoroughly disappointed.

Placing his trust in Maguire backfired but wouldn't have played at all had Varane and Martinez had played tonight. I'd hope he has the sense to play Shaw,Lindelof as centre back tonight.

Lack of leadership seen again tonight in the in face of adversity as was seen under a number of managers now. Bruno,Martinez could have provided that tonight their losses bigger than imagined

Good recovery after the disastrous start to the season but performances since League cup final as well as certain personnel adn game management decisions show that he is still incredibly naive and still has a lot to prove. Many hyped him up as the saviour in the summer but I still have not seen anything that makes me think he is a special manager. Big summer for him.

Because Ole was just sitting back and countering all the time. ETH is actually trying to implement his style of football that is much riskier and with time it will be worth it. But seeing people on here having patience of a gold fish.

Yeah I don’t think ‘ETH is getting hammered because he is trying to play amazing beautiful football’ is going to fly much longer. We have been inept against good teams away from home almost without exception.

The thing is guys, we say he's done a much better job than Ole.

But everytime we have injuries and revert to Ole's team, we get he same abject performance. For those who believe coaching and tactics can make a huge difference shouldn't this tell you something?

This isn’t slamming ETH. But his job will 90% depend on how well he does with his sales and buys.

There is nothing a manager can do to sort out the problems we had tonight without lots of new players.

You cannot force a style on players who just aren't suited for it can you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.