Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really look any better at all compared to our previous set of managers. That's a fact. Injuries or no injuries, couldn't give a feck, it wasn't a valid excuse then and it is still not. Needs to get things right in the transfer window or he'll be gone soon enough.

But for Arsenal it was a blip.

Is tonight a blip or typical?

Let's not forget arteta was nearly out of a job last season they wanted him gone. This is ETHs first season. He's won a trophy. He may well get us back in the top 4. What more could we ask in his first season.

If the same performances are still happening next season fair enough. He will then be under pressure.

He has played Wout in 22 games this season. Many of them were starts.
If you cant give the youth a chance over Wout, you're at the wrong club
Maguire, McT and Wout. They are clearly not his type of players. And they failed him over and over again. If you will not give some kid a chance over them then what is the point of academy?

He has played Wout in 22 games this season. Many of them were starts.
If you cant give the youth a chance over Wout, you're at the wrong club
What youth could he have played up front? We had no striker to play, that's why he started so much

Livid after tonight, but I trust ETH to weed out the trash. Having already shifted so much rubbish, he knows there’s still another big clear out needed.

Too many players don’t have the quality of mentality to do what the manager wants. Massive summer ahead; I pray Erik gets the support, but fear takeover talks will drag on and we’ll be starting with many of the same players next season.

Difficult to have confidence in these players getting us over the line for top 4 now. They crumble under any pressure whatsoever.

Ten Hag threw this game away in the first leg.

First time doubts have creeped in but I still feel he will win us our first title after Fergie in a couple of years.

I never really doubted him, but less than 24 hours before this game he said De Gea is a complete goalkeeper.

I also don’t think we will win a title with him when there are so many games where we capitulate out of nowhere.

Managers are not miracle workers. No one is fixing most of these players in the long term. Someone can come in and get a tune out for a while, but they're never going to cut it at the end of the day. Even now with ETH, we can have our good days like against Everton and Forest and then put in a disasterclass like tonight. 90% of it is about the players and we have kept many of them around for far too long due to the parasites who own us.

Said it a few weeks back but fighting on all fronts was always going to cost us and look at this shit show.

Now we've insisted on rushing players back from injury only for them to get injured again, top 4 isn't secure yet and Brighton will murder us. Serious questions about the managements grasp on reality.
We just don't have the squad depth to be playing the maximum number of games in all competitions. I hope we sort that out in the summer and replace the deadwood.

Brentford/City/Liverpool/Newcastle/Sevilla. 5 away games that make me worry. Especially last 3 as it's different context.

Going out of a cup? I’m not being funny but is a cup treble the bare minimum?
That’s a serious overreaction
Top 4 was the only priority this season, nothing else matters, any cup we win is a bonus but not what we need because this squad should look drastically different next year anyway.

ETH deserves criticism for the we've capitulated but I have confidence he will learn from this. Also he's hamstrung by the legacy of shite players he's inherited.

On the plus side, it means less games for us now. More time to smash it in the league.
He is still playing Maguire and Werghorst. Doesn't look like the fastest at learning.

But for Arsenal it was a blip.

Is tonight a blip or typical?
We've had too many dreadful away performances this year to call it a blip. There's a real problem and ETH will need to sort it next season.

Maybe it would help in being more flexible with targets instead of spending £60m+ on every other player.

We have a scouting department, he has a had year now here, along with the DoF. They need to get creative with the budget they have

Until the news comes out that we're after someone that doesn't cost £60m+ and we throw a hissy fit as happened last summer.

We really should should have closed out the game in the first leg. But it’s a worry that when we lose we implode so badly. That cannot be a good sign for an improving team.

Definitely this. Losing a game is one thing. Getting humiliated a couple of times every season is something else. And the manager’s role here cannot be overstated.

We don't really look any better at all compared to our previous set of managers. That's a fact. Injuries or no injuries, couldn't give a feck, it wasn't a valid excuse then and it is still not. Needs to get things right in the transfer window or he'll be gone soon enough.

Tonight that's true it looked like last season. However the vast majority of this season we have been much better and enjoyable to watch. The previous 10 years had felt like torture at times. When united have been bad this season they have been really abysmal.

Let's not forget arteta was nearly out of a job last season they wanted him gone. This is ETHs first season. He's won a trophy. He may well get us back in the top 4. What more could we ask in his first season.

If the same performances are still happening next season fair enough. He will then be under pressure.

Yeah I'm not comparing the two managers.

But this loss can't be somehow brushed aside by comparing it to Arsenals loss.

That was a rare event for Arsenal this season.

Tonight was almost expected. It's true to form.

What youth could he have played up front? We had no striker to play, that's why he started so much

We have strikers in the U23 scoring goals. If they're not given a chance under that crisis, they never will get one. McNeill and Shoretire are both solid Prospects

Not yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do by the end of the season. It is the same club who fired Ancelotti one month after the season started (after he had just won the league).
Bayern are much ahead than us. We can't be sacking managers are one month. We have been shit for a decade now. ETH so far has been our best manager. Why would we sack him??

Maybe if we again start winning league or CL then maybe we will also be that ruthless. Not now. He has done a decent job this season. We peaked in Feb but since then you could see the squad is struggling with injuries and lack of form.

Can anybody tell me they're not jealous watching Sevilla tonight? An average Sevilla at that. If give anything to have somebody that wants us to play with that aggression and energy. Forget tonight, I've never seen us play anything like that all season. It hammers home how passive we are and boring to watch.
We’ve had those performances, City home, Liverpool home, Barca away, the problem it’s all too sporadic and this team is falling apart due to fatigue, injuries, and sadly, mental scars. I think for many players it’s too far gone and there’s no coaching that can save them from collapsing again like this, or Liverpool away, City away, Brentford away, Villa away etc

Only problem i have is his reluctance to try anything new in regards to youngsters. Is that on him feeling the pressure, or do we not have anyone to really go with? WW was a disaster, try something new there. Pellistri cant get much time in and instead we waste time with Elanga, who we know isnt good enough. Feel like midfield could use some fresh legs, worst case try someone new there.

fecking hell the state of some of you.

Trophy in the bag, top 4 likely, semi-final to play, all with 5 new additions (not including loans which let’s be honest are only here because we are skint) to a team that in all honesty needed at least 10 this time last year.

I don’t know what some people expect some times.

What's complex about not losing 5-2 on agg. to the 13th in La Liga? Tell me. No, forget about just losing, we had 45 minutes out of the total 190 that we looked good against them. No amount of attenuating circumstances should make that acceptable.
I think you need to check the definition of attenuating here.

Heads have to roll after this season.

get top four and make sure city don't win the treble that's all to play for.

I want to see Magure, Martial, WW, all the dead weight shipped out.
Sancho has never really been good enough.

I'd rather have a smaller squad and play the kids when needs just then just keep showing up with these clowns we all know aren't good enough.

Ddg is right on the edge and if I'm being honest I'd rather just move on and bring in a ball playing younger keeper who's on the upswing - no point in just continuing with him when there will always be a wall with his ball ability.

Obviously people can judge ETH as they please, they can keep saying that we are shit away, lost 0-7 again Liverpool etc etc

I still refuse to blame him, or any other manager in the future, as long as we still keep this core of players.

The reasons are simple:
1 - Manager will always be judged by result whether we posted it here or not. If result is bad he will be gone no matter what. Meanwhile players will still be here and earning raise.
2 - He has been here for less than a year, it takes more than that to clean up our mess.

That doesn't mean I think he's immune to blame, or if he did everything right, just that I think he's the least of our issue, and given how we have been for the last 10 years for me we have no choice but to support him 100%. We already have player's power and pr culture, and no team can win with that culture.

Fact: LVG come and gone, Mourinho come and gone, Ole come and gone, ETH come (and gone?) De Gea is still here, Maguire is still captain, player's PR team still work harder than the player themselves, and they still down tool at will. New players still did well at the start and then gradually adopt our loser culture.

Bayern are much ahead than us. We can't be sacking managers are one month. We have been shit for a decade now. ETH so far has been our best manager. Why would we sack him??

Maybe if we again start winning league or CL then maybe we will also be that ruthless. Not now. He has done a decent job this season. We peaked in Feb but since then you could see the squad is struggling with injuries and lack of form.
Nah, he has been mediocre IMO. Luckily for him, we had the worst season in like 30 years, which makes this season looks decent, but we are far from decent.

Nothing like a loss to bring out the loons again :lol: :lol: :wenger: :wenger:

Losing isn't a problem, it's part of the game. How we lose is much more important
With 5/7 of our best players either out or playing injured?
It’s so comical I don’t know what can be read into it. DDG and Maguire should be gone in the summer but that isn’t a surprise.
If we had a full team out there I’d be raging but it’s as if it were a snapshot of the Past from what we were to what we are. It feels like I went time travelling tonight. All we needed was Ashley Young at fullback and I’d be convinced I was watching a re run.

There is only so much a manager can do...tonights games was hardly down to EtH not using the correct buzz word before kickoff.

The defence shat the bed and United couldn't deal with the atmosphere...end of!

EtH can try and fix it in the summer, but those thinking tonight was bad should probably make other plans for Sunday.

He’s brought us a long way. We now need a clear out and 4-5 replacements.

Status
Not open for further replies.