Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely no chance. We just don’t have the goals. +1 GD. Lowest goals scored of the top six.

Great chance of top four though which is a feat in itself given our start.
We look a lot more solid defensively though. Think we’ll grind out a lot more 1-0 wins this season: agree with you though, need more firepower as we won’t always be lucky with de gea saving us all the time.

Ye I suppose we just take it game by game and see where it takes us. If we win our game in hand though we’ll be joint 3rd. Puts us in a comfortable position in the table.
My cousin always does this, sends me voice notes about where we’re going to be when we play our 3 games in hand and how we’ll be neck and neck in the title race. Sure as shit we don’t pick up the points when people they start counting chickens

I think he’s doing great, finding out what his players are like, whilst rotating and keeping everyone fresh, all the time getting the result.

Quality manager and no doubt will have us in a title race..

Yes, his subs were iffy but like many have pointed out our squad is not that good. Even then I thought minus last 15 mins we were well in control. I like these type of wins as well. It is important we grind results. In the past we would have dropped points today. 4 more games left before WC. Win all 4 and I will be happy.

I'm not. There's nothing wrong discussing the game to see what could have been done better. It's definitely not a perfect game today.

You'd only enrich your knowledge about the game and football by doing so. Question and discuss. There're so many who know a lot about football here. If I want only to play the fanboy I wouldn't come here. If you don't like to see that you can simply put me on ignored.

Red Cafe. Serious business :cool:

The Europa League against Sheriff and Omonia, really no need for Cas and Bruno to start every game against that standard.
Huge mistake. Ajax fans said he has one major flaw, runs his first XI into the ground. Looks true so far. No way should he have fielded that starting XI last Thursday

Obsessively defending every decision an individual makes is akin to a cult not a football fan base. You can be a good manager and make the odd mistake.

So my understanding him leaving a woefully out of form Sancho on the bench is now obsessively defending his every decision.

You have to laugh.

No mistakes were made. None worthy of such criticism anyway.

Enjoy the win. Trust the process.

We are on the up.

I do worry about him burning out our key players, but people need to remember our squad is toilet and a lot of the backups are just not up to the required standard. He's not got much of a choice.

My cousin always does this, sends me voice notes about where we’re going to be when we play our 3 games in hand and how we’ll be neck and neck in the title race. Sure as shit we don’t pick up the points when people they start counting chickens
Must be the excitement mate. Haven’t been this confident in our team since fergie was here. Our game in hands only against palace and Leeds. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy the moment and let your hair down.

Your point seems to be that ten Hag "needs to learn" some things obvious to you. That sounds like you could teach him a thing or two, from what I can deduct. Go for it.
No, it means Ten Hag, like every other single fecking person on the planet, sometimes get things wrong. Much like he got his tactics wrong against Brentford. And you don’t need to be a football manager to deduce that.

Which key players is he burning out?

Bruno is the only one hasn’t been rested and he’s out the next match anyway.

So my understanding him leaving a woefully out of form Sancho on the bench is now obsessively defending his every decision.

You have to laugh.

No mistakes were made. None worthy of criticism anyway.

Enjoy the win. Trust the process.

We are on the up.
It’s less defending one decision and the actual language you have used throughout. I doubt you have the wit to differentiate the two.

I can enjoy the win and think it wasn’t perfect. The world isn’t black and white.

I’d love to know what alternatives subs our backseat managers would have made?

That’s our worst bench of the season. Desperate lack of quality. Elanga had to be taken off because the game was passing him by and Eriksen seemed to hit a wall. McT was brought on to give us some height for the inevitable aerial assault and Fred was an inch away from sealing the game for us.
His subs were iffy because we had no outlet apart from Rashford on the break, so the subs forced us further back.

I'd have gone with Elanga > Sancho to get the ball to stick more upfront and Eriksen > McTominay to get more energy into CM as we were being overrun.

I mean they're not burn out yet, obviously, but we're only in October. We'll see how they look towards the back end of the season.
Sure he’s rotated quite a bit and rested quite a bit I think anyway.

Maybe the Villa game will actually see us in full flight with a rested Squad..

It’s less defending one decision and the actual language you have used throughout. I doubt you have the wit to differentiate the two.

I can enjoy the win and think it wasn’t perfect. The world isn’t black and white.

Oh behave now. What does that even mean ?

And no, I don’t think you are enjoying the win very much. Or understanding just how much we will have to scrape for every point with this squad this season.

We look a lot more solid defensively though. Think we’ll grind out a lot more 1-0 wins this season: agree with you though, need more firepower as we won’t always be lucky with de gea saving us all the time.
Yes, more firepower is the key. We won’t play well consistently enough this season to get top four unless we can capitalise on the pretty decent amount of chances we’re creating. We absolutely need a clinical finisher. If we can get one in the January window I for one am quite hopeful about our prospects this season. And in a couple of years with ETH in charge, the sky’s the limit.

No, it means Ten Hag, like every other single fecking person on the planet, sometimes get things wrong. Much like he got his tactics wrong against Brentford. And you don’t need to be a football manager to deduce that.

So what did he get so wrong today then? Bringing on Fred and Mctominay rather than Garnacho or Sancho?

How do we know he got it wrong by the way? We won?!

So what did he get so wrong today then? Bringing on Fred and Mctominay rather than Garnacho or Sancho?

Apparently we are too devoid of wit to understand such complexities.

My expectations for how well we play are tempered whenever Ronaldo starts, and coming into today it felt like potentially One of Those Fixtures we’d drop points in over the years, so I’m actually delighted with the win. We’re displaying either really progressive football or resilience on a regular basis, often both together, and those are two things we didn’t have last season.

Oh behave now. What does that even mean ?

And no, I don’t think you are enjoying the win very much. Or understanding just how much we will have to scrape for every point with this squad this season.
Have a look at the way your posts are worded and see if they come across like anything Ten Hag does can’t be questioned. If you just said I don’t agree with my reading of one decision then fair enough. If you can’t see the difference, you’re not worth talking with.

I’ve already said what. Don’t shift players out of position. We can only judge on what actually happened. We were worse after the subs. That’s an indisputable fact. It’s a matter of opinion what caused that. In my opinion we completely lost any control when McTominay came on and completely invited West Ham on to us.

Have a look at the way your posts are worded and see if they come across like anything Ten Hag does can’t be questioned. If you just said I don’t agree with my reading of one decision then fair enough. If you can’t see the difference, you’re not worth talking with.

Of course he can be questioned. And if the lineup and subs were the same today with an in-form Sancho sat on the bench I would be right there with you. But that’s not the case. He has been woeful this season.

And injuries considered along with our lack of squad depth I think three points was a fantastic result today. Never mind the fact that we are only months into the new regime so patience just seems logical at this point. Rather than moaning after a win.

I’ve already said what. Don’t shift players out of position. We can only judge on what actually happened. We were worse after the subs. That’s an indisputable fact. It’s a matter of opinion what caused that. In my opinion we completely lost any control when McTominay came on and completely invited West Ham on to us.

That’s fair enough but I can see why he did bring Mctominay on. Eriksen was shattered and we were struggling against their physicality as time went on.

Given we were without Varane, Antony, Martial and Lindelof the bench didn’t really have much on it. We know it will take another window or two before we’re stronger in that regard.

I wouldn’t have been up for bringing on Garnacho in a tight 1-0 game at that point. Fully understand why he didn’t do that. Given the form Sancho is in and his lack of aggression/workrate I can also see why he didn’t fancy him at that point too.

It is always a tricky decision at 65-70 minutes when you’re 1-0 up and starting to lose a grip. Ultimately we won the game so I don’t think what he did warrants in depth analysis or scrutiny.

Of course he can be questioned. And if the lineup and subs were the same today with an in-form Sancho sat on the bench I would be right there with you. But that’s not the case. He has been woeful this season.

And injuries considered along with our lack of squad depth I think three points was a fantastic result today. Never mind the fact that we are only months into the new regime so patience just seems logical at this point. Rather than moaning after a win.
And that’s all I’ve done. I think two league games running he’s got his subs wrong and made us worse. I’m not saying he’s a bad manager. I’m saying not every decision is the right one. For that I’ve been attacked like I insulted his mother. I think he’s doing great and with room for improvement. I doubt he would see it any differently.

Your last sentence was the same shit we saw anytime anybody suggested we weren’t playing well when we won under Solskjaer. Performances do matter. That second half performance won’t see us pick up lots of points and it’s ok to say it.

And that’s all I’ve done. I think two league games running he’s got his subs wrong and made us worse. I’m not saying he’s a bad manager. I’m saying not every decision is the right one. For that I’ve been attacked like I insulted his mother. I think he’s doing great and with room for improvement. I doubt he would see it any differently.

I think one of the best things about Ten Hag is he doesn’t just settle. He wasn’t happy post match and said so himself. He always identifies the issues immediately and acknowledges them. We’ve also seen he’s not stubborn either and is happy to adapt.

Remember the team is in transition but so is he coming in to a new league and country.

Your last sentence was the same shit we saw anytime anybody suggested we weren’t playing well when we won under Solskjaer. Performances do matter. That second half performance won’t see us pick up lots of points and it’s ok to say it.

Except I wasn’t one of those under Ole. We were sloppy today and likely dead on our feet in that second half. Sometimes decisions need to be made to grind out results.

Today certainly wasn’t sexy but we showed organization and resilience to get the three points. This is also encouraging considering how many times we folded at any sign of adversity under previous managers.

I think one of the best things about Ten Hag is he doesn’t just settle. He wasn’t happy post match and said so himself. He always identifies the issues immediately and acknowledges them. We’ve also seen he’s not stubborn either and is happy to adapt.

Remember the team is in transition but so is he coming in to a new league and country.
Absolutely, I’m very happy with him. He learned from Brentford and I hope he learns from any mistake he may have made today.

Today certainly wasn’t sexy but we showed organization and resilience to get the three points. This is also encouraging considering how many times we folded at any sign of adversity under previous managers.
This I agree with.

Have you noticed that he regularly puts Bruno on the wing lately?

Maybe he really can't see something you can. Or maybe he's experimenting because he's not happy with choices he has on the bench. Hmm, what could it be?

And do you really compare Brentford and this match?

Actually, you could, because both times we played the same striker and defender who actively sabotage ten Hag's style. Other than that :wenger:

Have you noticed that he regularly puts Bruno on the wing lately?

Maybe he really can't see something you can. Or maybe he's experimenting because he's not happy with choices he has on the bench. Hmm, what could it be?

And do you really compare Brentford and this match?

Actually, you could, because both times we played the same striker and defender who actively sabotage ten Hag's style. Other than that :wenger:
Yes I’ve noticed. And I don’t think it works. Time to move on.

personally I thought the subs made perfect sense

WH were always going to take more risks and start launching it into the box more in the last 10 minutes, no matter what formation we played..

Interesting to see what he does against Villa. Would be nice to see a 3 of Casemiro Fred and Eriksen what with Bruno suspended.

Interesting to see what he does against Villa. Would be nice to see a 3 of Casemiro Fred and Eriksen what with Bruno suspended.

Think that’s what everyone would like to see. Scenes when it’s Eriksen behind McSauce instead. :lol:

IMO we should have at least two runners up front when the opposition is pushing aggressively, one on each wing. That makes it more difficult for West Ham as they can't go super high backline.
Bruno on the wing is easy to contain. I don't know why ETH is pushing for it considering it's clearly not working. What am I missing?

We had options, a) leave Elanga on the pitch b) sub Sancho for Bruno. Instead we made it easy for the opposition again with the subs. Ronaldo needed to stay to go for headers, Rashford obviously was needed as well.
It's tough with the current squad but imo he seems stubborn with this changes model.

IMO we should have at least two runners up front when the opposition is pushing aggressively, one on each wing. That makes it more difficult for West Ham as they can't go super high backline.
Bruno on the wing is easy to contain. I don't know why ETH is pushing for it considering it's clearly not working. What am I missing?

We had options, a) leave Elanga on the pitch b) sub Sancho for Bruno. Instead we made it easy for the opposition again with the subs. Ronaldo needed to stay to go for headers, Rashford obviously was needed as well.
It's tough with the current squad but imo he seems stubborn with this changes model.
We won the game, what more do you want ? Bring Sancho on ? Really ? He's been terrible since he signed for us why the hell would that be a good idea. I personally think that was his best decision today by not playing him

Status
Not open for further replies.