Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO we should have at least two runners up front when the opposition is pushing aggressively, one on each wing. That makes it more difficult for West Ham as they can't go super high backline.
Bruno on the wing is easy to contain. I don't know why ETH is pushing for it considering it's clearly not working. What am I missing?

We had options, a) leave Elanga on the pitch b) sub Sancho for Bruno. Instead we made it easy for the opposition again with the subs. Ronaldo needed to stay to go for headers, Rashford obviously was needed as well.
It's tough with the current squad but imo he seems stubborn with this changes model.

his work-rate off the ball

ETH is not looking at it from a primarily attacking view-point

Elanga was knackered I think. And Sancho offers very little protection

He will probably have a look at the way we play from the back. It was like knocking the ball between two CBs without having any idea how to progress the ball further most of the time in this game, with both FBs staying extremely high.

He will probably have a look at the way we play from the back. It was like knocking the ball between two CBs without having any idea how to progress the ball further most of the time in this game, with both FBs staying extremely high.

I think a lot of that was down to Maguire. Honestly he looked clueless with the ball. Maybe it will get a bit better with some game time

IMO we should have at least two runners up front when the opposition is pushing aggressively, one on each wing. That makes it more difficult for West Ham as they can't go super high backline.
Bruno on the wing is easy to contain. I don't know why ETH is pushing for it considering it's clearly not working. What am I missing?

We had options, a) leave Elanga on the pitch b) sub Sancho for Bruno. Instead we made it easy for the opposition again with the subs. Ronaldo needed to stay to go for headers, Rashford obviously was needed as well.
It's tough with the current squad but imo he seems stubborn with this changes model.
The manager reads the game though. He can put two runner up there but two runners isn’t any good if we’re not progressing the ball. In an ideal world he clicks his fingers because it’s a formation issue but today was clearly a fatigue issue. Managing the game by analysing the match and what’s actually going on is the difference at this level. The man has an outstanding record of subs scoring when coming on for a reason.

Fantastic manager. Speaks total sense, never gets carried away, never satisfied, but in a good way that sets high standards. Never moans about ref decisions that go against us, never throws anyone under the bus.

How lucky we are to have this guy as our manager

He's like Pep without the smugness. And to think we could've gone for Conte and then watched him go revive Barca or Chelsea.

Get whichever players he wants in the next transfer window. He's the only manager post Fergie that has transformed all aspects in the team in a positive way.

The way Ten Hag maintains standards compared to someone like Mourinho is interesting. Jose’s way was basically to challenge players by questioning whether they were good enough to carry out his instructions. Ten Hag seems to emphasize how good his team will be when his philosophy has been fully internalized. It’s more like Fergie’s “don’t let yourselves down” than Mourinho’s “don’t make me look bad”.

Having Ronnie and Maguire on the pitch massively hamstrung us. Had to drop deeper to accommodate Harry but at the same time cope with the ineffective pressing Ronnie provides. Maguire is way too slow at reacting to what’s in front of him, the Dawson attempt from outside the box is still seared into my memory as a chance he definitely could’ve cut off.

Get whichever players he wants in the next transfer window. He's the only manager post Fergie that has transformed all aspects in the team in a positive way.

What positions do you think he will demand get addressed in January so we can stay very much in that race for fourth place.

De Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Fred and Rashford - 5 players whose contract expires next summer, surely all 5 will be getting new ones. Some fans don't like Fred but he's useful player and you don't let him go for free surely.

What positions do you think he will demand get addressed in January to stay in that race for fourth place.
For next season:
I think he was still hoping for Frenkie. Seems to be one of those players he thinks hard to find so if Barca fecks it up again, its too good to pass.

For January window:
Maybe a CF. A stop gap and then he drops Ronaldo.

Having Ronnie and Maguire on the pitch massively hamstrung us. Had to drop deeper to accommodate Harry but at the same time cope with the ineffective pressing Ronnie provides. Maguire is way too slow at reacting to what’s in front of him, the Dawson attempt from outside the box is still seared into my memory as a chance he definitely could’ve cut off.

To me this was the root of our issues today. Can't be compact if the defense is itching to drop deep and the striker is not pressing. Those 2 are our worst players when it comes to playing in Ten Haag way.

For next season:
I think he was still hoping for Frenkie. Seems to be one of those players he thinks hard to find so if Barca fecks it up again, its too good to pass.

For January window:
Maybe a CF. A stop gap and then he drops Ronaldo.

What stop gap do you reckon he has in mind

What stop gap do you reckon he has in mind
Moussa Dembele and Marcus Thuram both have expiring contracts this summer so could be budget options in the winter window, both press pretty well but bringing others into play leaves a little to be desired.

And, if you care about these sort of these things, fbref has them both listed as roughly statistically equivalent to Osimhen. Personally, I wouldn’t mind Thuram, he can play across the front 3 if need be and we desperately need depth.

The way Ten Hag maintains standards compared to someone like Mourinho is interesting. Jose’s way was basically to challenge players by questioning whether they were good enough to carry out his instructions. Ten Hag seems to emphasize how good his team will be when his philosophy has been fully internalized. It’s more like Fergie’s “don’t let yourselves down” than Mourinho’s “don’t make me look bad”.

Interesting point. Makes a lot of sense, and hopefully it keeps playing out that way. (not bashing Jose, I like him too)

Spot on this, i was about coming in here to post something like this, i already did on the post match thread.

We won the game, what more do you want ? Bring Sancho on ? Really ? He's been terrible since he signed for us why the hell would that be a good idea. I personally think that was his best decision today by not playing him
For me, ETH did not have enough faith in most players to come on in such a game. That is why only Fred and McT came on, and I got it

There is no counter if West Ham scores. Moyes will shut the shop. You need someone like Ronaldo in the box.
It doesn't matter WH score or not if we can score with one of our counters. Another goal will kill the game. We need to kill the game not sitting duck and thinking 'ok we'll 100% go score another goal in the 95' after WH equalises in the 93'. That's not how football works.

And based on what you can be so sure Ronaldo can score a goal in 2' when he has failed to score or even hit the damn goal on his previous 93' ?

He's the only manager post Fergie who gives us positive pre match vibe, he ticks all boxes so far and I hope it carries like this way.He needs to backed fully in Winter /Summer transfer windows.

I thought his subs wasn't bad, it's just natural flow of the game where good enough team that is trailing by one goal attacks and puts more effort and the team that is defending one goal lead drops deep. We should have killed the game on counters but we were too wasteful.

McT sub made sense as he offers height to defend set pieces, not sure if he did. Fred always presses well and we needed that.

Somehow it backfired as we dropped too deep and didn't counter well but I can see the point behind those subs.

Yes Thursday is important,however if he doesn't rotate a bit we could hit the wall on Sunday

The manager reads the game though. He can put two runner up there but two runners isn’t any good if we’re not progressing the ball. In an ideal world he clicks his fingers because it’s a formation issue but today was clearly a fatigue issue. Managing the game by analysing the match and what’s actually going on is the difference at this level. The man has an outstanding record of subs scoring when coming on for a reason.
Actually not progressing the ball is an issue only if you have players up top who need the ball to be played to their feet (like Bruno). If we had runners up front then we can just launch the ball into space - and this threat alone requires West Ham to shape differently, and go a little lower with defensive line. In consequence they can't squeeze us as hard as they did yesterday.

I agree this looked like fatigue issue, but.. 3 out of 4 of our starting attackers finished the game, so ETH made a decision not to change anything up front, only strengthen midfield. Imo this was a mistake, and not the first time he went for this setup. Anyway, we won, so not a big deal. The second half was not nice to watch and IMO we made it easier for West Ham.

The biggest worry is that he gets us top 4 and the Glazers consider that job done and then give him one summer signing and a 50 million net spend target

De Gea, Dalot, Shaw, Fred and Rashford - 5 players whose contract expires next summer, surely all 5 will be getting new ones. Some fans don't like Fred but he's useful player and you don't let him go for free surely.
DDG, Dalot and Rashford all have a +1 if I remember correctly.

Yes Thursday is important,however if he doesn't rotate a bit we could hit the wall on Sunday
Totally agree. I think he would prioritize Sunday game over Thursday game. He would not make whole sale changes for Thursday but would give important players a rest. I would not mind if Eriksen, Casemiro, Martinez and Dalot are rested for Europa league game

I think a lot of that was down to Maguire. Honestly he looked clueless with the ball. Maybe it will get a bit better with some game time

I think the bigger problem is we don't have any midfielder who could carry the ball forward.

Totally agree. I think he would prioritize Sunday game over Thursday game. He would not make whole sale changes for Thursday but would give important players a rest. I would not mind if Eriksen, Casemiro, Martinez and Dalot are rested for Europa league game

Yeah I hope those four get a break, aa it would be better for us to go into the World Cup with the points in the league.

It doesn't matter WH score or not if we can score with one of our counters. Another goal will kill the game. We need to kill the game not sitting duck and thinking 'ok we'll 100% go score another goal in the 95' after WH equalises in the 93'. That's not how football works.

And based on what you can be so sure Ronaldo can score a goal in 2' when he has failed to score or even hit the damn goal on his previous 93' ?
The whole point was, if West Ham managed to score , there isn't a credible option to bring on. I don't need to prove that one legged 40 year old Ronaldo is still a better option than anyone currently to have in the box in that situation

Says a lot about him that our defence looks absolutely transformed and 3 of the back four (4 of 5 if you include DDG) were there last season.

Fair to say, going by his post match comments on Sky, AWB is absolutely done here, not that there was much doubt before mind.

Fair to say, going by his post match comments on Sky, AWB is absolutely done here, not that there was much doubt before mind.

AWB was done when Rangnick came in, he was lucky that Ole backed him so hard and he barely improved.

It is a stark difference both attacking and defensively now. AWB just did not have any attribute to play in a Ten Hag system.

His best attribute of slide tackling is not something Ten Hag wants his players doing.

I got beat up here a few weeks ago when I gave ETH an A- for his work so far, but I suspect even the most skeptical United supporters here would have to give him no worse than a B+...and that that A- is looking more and more solid as every week goes by.

The reason I can't go to a straight A is that he probably should have pushed harder for a third choice striker in the event Ronaldo ran into a wall at the beginning of the season (which he did) and that Martial's injury problems resurfaced (which they have) and we're now without a fit striker in form, which cost us points against Newcastle and Chelsea.

We should be sitting third in the table right now, but those four dropped points now have us in sixth -- behind the two sides we just drew with. We'll land a top four spot by season's end, but we need to sort out of problems in the final third if we're going to get there.

I agree. But I do add that getting Casemiro & Eriksen was more important at the time. But adding a proper goal scoring reliable no. 9 who will work effectively with the likes of Rashford & Antony would be ideal. We should be finishing games off much easier.

Says a lot about him that our defence looks absolutely transformed and 3 of the back four (4 of 5 if you include DDG) were there last season.
He's done an excellent job in dismantling a completely dysfunctional team, building something positive and hardworking with a new core, and then re-integrating people once their attitudes have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.