Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree with that but it’s his default sub and didn’t work the last time he did it either. I would expect him to learn.

Didn't Bruno put two chances on plate from that right hand side position midweek?

Obviously I thought his decisions were reasonable which is why I’ve been defending them.

I am sorry that none of my points have interested you.

Being reasonable doesn't mean that they are not questionable especially when it's not the first time that the same set of subs are made and we end up with similar issues. Let say it this way, you agree on the idea that these particular changes limit our ability to counter effectively?

Sancho is a terrible sub to be made against the likes of West Ham. Man, the arm chair experts are really into something.

Garnacho - yeah, let's bring a kid against the most physical side . But sure, it's an option.

Pellestri- you got to be kidding .

Take off Ronaldo - yes, but if we need a goal we really don't have anyone to bring on . West Ham will just play low block and with us no presence in the box, they won't get a better day than today.

McT was brought on for his height and Fred for his intensity in the midfield which we clearly lacked in the second half.
I agree. We could've started Sancho on the right and have Elanga as a 60th min sub. Because ETH went for Elanga from the start, made little sense to sub him for Sancho.
He had very little options now in terms of attack.

Being reasonable doesn't mean that they are not questionable especially when it's not the first time that the same set of subs are made and we end up with similar issues. Let say it this way, you agree on the idea that these particular changes limit our ability to counter effectively?

I’ll ask you the same question @Pogue Mahone did one last time. What would you have done differently ?

It's easy to say the subs were terrible, and they were, but our bench options are awful so it's not like there's much else he can do differently until we have a couple more transfer windows to improve the squad

The idea that Sancho can’t come on and have a positive impact for us but Fornals can for West Ham is fecking bonkers.

That draw against Newcastle is so annoying. We would be in a really good position now. Even the one with Chelsea too. Should have won both games

I missed the last half hour so don’t know if he was playing wide right or just found himself there.

Yeah he got switched to wide right to accommodate the sub like he did today. Worked quite nicely midweek.

I’d love to know what alternatives subs our backseat managers would have made?

That’s our worst bench of the season. Desperate lack of quality. Elanga had to be taken off because the game was passing him by and Eriksen seemed to hit a wall. McT was brought on to give us some height for the inevitable aerial assault and Fred was an inch away from sealing the game for us.
I think you could certainly argue Sancho for Elanga would have been a significant upgrade in terms of helping us control the game more. Whether he was sending a message to Sancho or he genuinely thought bringing on McTominay to put Bruno out wide was the better option, I don't know. It is pretty clear we never had any control over possession through the right side of the pitch, and Fernandes only half playing out there did not help us fix that problem.

i already answered.

Ah so. Well if your answer is one of Sancho, Garnacho or Pellestri just because they’re wide players you should consult my post about Bruno just up the page. I think the subs Erik made were much better decisions.

One of ETH’s subs got on the end of a counter which would have buried the game had he not hit the post, so I don’t get the issues with his subs.

That one time he concedes an arguably soft penalty and all of sudden he's the guy that gives away all the penalties. Might want to rethink that.

I thought it was the right move bringing midfielders on. Sancho seems to be struggling and Garnacho probably would have been kicked off the park as West Ham were pushing forward. He's 18 and has next to no PL minutes. Chucking him on simply because he's a wide player is not the right answer, IMO.
I’m not saying it wasn’t the right call, as soon as he came on I said Ten Hag wanted some more physical players on and pack the midfield. But let’s not pretend mctominay doesn’t always grab hold of players on set pieces. He’s been caught for it once but doesn’t mean he never does it. Alls I’m saying was I’d prefer Fred to come on earlier as he has more about him and can carry the ball a little better.

Yeah he got switched to wide right to accommodate the sub like he did today. Worked quite nicely midweek.
I don’t think it worked today or last week against Chelsea. It shouldn’t be the go to when we have a winger on the bench.

One of ETH’s subs got on the end of a counter which would have buried the game had he not hit the post, so I don’t get the issues with his subs.
Because one moment doesn’t negate 30 minutes of a football match. Particularly when that moment didn’t actually count for anything.

I had no issues with his subs. They were all fine. We’ve got feck all for attacking options unless you want to throw Pellistri or Garnacho into the lions den.

I imagine him leaving Ronaldo out there the whole game will strengthen his case when dropping him again. Fred and McTominay are good at making those attacking runs and Fred almost sealed the 2-0 which would have saved everyone the stress at the end there.

*Heh intensifies*

Garnacho - yeah, let's bring a kid against the most physical side . But sure, it's an option.
Garnacho is not very strong but the lad is surely very fast and is a pretty good dribbler. He wouldn't do well playing against a low block but in the last 15' when we were pushed back and effectively playing with a counter approach he'd be much better than Ronaldo or a gassed Bruno imo.

And for the kid part. Rashford started for us at 18 yo I think. Garnacho is of the same age and we're only talking about subbing him in for 15' not starting him.

They made positive changes. We didn’t. As a result we were clinging on for dear life with our keeper to thank for us keeping a clean sheet against a team who have scored three away goals all season.

Don't get this take.

Again I ask what options have we got that can realistically come on and help us push up the pitch. We already lost control of the ball, we packed it to try get a grip in midfield and still struggled, I'm not sure how sancho, or the lightweight unproven kids could have solved this issue.

We literally bare bones, and a shite bench to be honest

Ah so. Well if your answer is one of Sancho, Garnacho or Pellestri just because they’re wide players you should consult my post about Bruno just up the page. I think the subs Erik made were much better decisions.

This one?
I said when we signed ten Hag that Bruno would find himself playing wide at times. If he keeps wasting possession consistently he’ll find himself playing wide of the pitch. On the bench that is.

You can’t have a player who offers nothing defensively against any physical opposing midfield in the side if he’s not pulling up trees going forward.

This is management 101. Although I’m sure many will still lose their minds if and when it happens as if it’s some sort of negative football dinosaur decision. Which it isn’t at all.

I struggle to see how it points to the subs being a much better decision, if anything it points to a particular substitution being made for the wrong reason.

Sancho is in terrible form and Garnacho+Pellistri aren't ready yet for the big leagues, so not much of viable options to bring on from the bench today, except for McFred, and McFred didn't do as well as Ten Hag hoped in terms of wrestling the control of the game back, but at very least McTominay's presence in the box helped a little.

I think you could certainly argue Sancho for Elanga would have been a significant upgrade in terms of helping us control the game more. Whether he was sending a message to Sancho or he genuinely thought bringing on McTominay to put Bruno out wide was the better option, I don't know. It is pretty clear we never had any control over possession through the right side of the pitch, and Fernandes only half playing out there did not help us fix that problem.

He clearly brought on McT to a) win defensive headers and b) give us more physical presence in midfield. We can all argue the toss about how well McT achieved these goals (not very, IMO) but that doesn’t make the decision any less understandable. Playing Bruno wide will always be an option. Don’t forget he set Ronaldo up for a goal from there just the other day.

Fernandes got himself suspended for the Villa game next week with that late booking so it'll be interesting to see how we do in his absence in that game. It's a bit annoying that it's come at a time where we're already missing a couple of players.
Yes will be interesting to see how we do without Bruno. He is a good game bad game player at the moment.

Sancho is in terrible form and Garnacho+Pellistri aren't ready yet for the big leagues, so not much of viable options to bring on from the bench today, except for McFred, and McFred didn't do as well as Ten Hag hoped in terms of wrestling the control of the game back, but at very least McTominay's presence in the box helped a little.

Yup. Although Fred’s header off the post was 100% McFred in action. Don’t think either of them have ever set the other up for a goal before.

Think you guys are too critical for Erik. Just won an important game after oppositions dropped points. Players were exhausted after 65 minutes and I think his subs made a lot of sense though they didnt have the impact expected.

Another point being missed is that Ronaldo is quite useful defending set pieces as well. So there was more than one justification to leave him on against that lot.

He clearly brought on McT to a) win defensive headers and b) give us more physical presence in midfield. We can all argue the toss about how well McT achieved these goals (not very, IMO) but that doesn’t make the decision any less understandable. Playing Bruno wide will always be an option. Don’t forget he set Ronaldo up for a goal from there just the other day.
I get why he decided to bring on Scott, I just think we would have been better off at least giving a go at trying to kill off the game by making a like for like substitution around the 55th minute or so, and if it is still 1-0 around 75-80 minutes, then bring on McTominay for defensive solidity.

I struggle to see how it points to the subs being a much better decision, if anything it points to a particular substitution being made for the wrong reason.

Legs in midfield ? Pretty basic stuff…

What I found weird about the Scott sub which I agreed with was how high up he played. Thought he would have been deeper to plug the gaps they were finding but there were still huge gaps after it and he was almost playing as a second striker.

What I found weird about the Scott sub which I agreed with was how high up he played. Thought he would have been deeper to plug the gaps they were finding but there were still huge gaps after it and he was almost playing as a second striker.

He is the new Fellaini. :devil:

Yup. Although Fred’s header off the post was 100% McFred in action. Don’t think either of them have ever set the other up for a goal before.

Indeed, that goal would've killed them, unlucky it didn't go in.

I think Ten Hag's idea with the McFred sub was to stop the Hammers from getting on the ball in the central areas uncontested and it didn't work, but our overall defensive shape was solid which helped us seeing off the game, albeit with some help from DDG saves.

Legs in midfield ? Pretty basic stuff…

Did we get those legs? Did it allow us to match their intensity in midfield or exploit the space that they left?

That draw against Newcastle is so annoying. We would be in a really good position now. Even the one with Chelsea too. Should have won both games
Completely. We’re fighting for 4th, 3rd possible but less likely. Acceptable but had we won those 2 we’d be in with a chance or challenging the top 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.