Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
When talking about Maguire he said we didn't have another opportunity to sub :lol: He was positive about him though

Garnacho is not very strong but the lad is surely very fast and is a pretty good dribbler. He wouldn't do well playing against a low block but in the last 15' when we were pushed back and effectively playing with a counter approach he'd be much better than Ronaldo or a gassed Bruno imo.

And for the kid part. Rashford started for us at 18 yo I think. Garnacho is of the same age and we're only talking about subbing him in for 15' not starting him.

It’s not really worth moaning about though is it

Garnacho is not very strong but the lad is surely very fast and is a pretty good dribbler. He wouldn't do well playing against a low block but in the last 15' when we were pushed back and effectively playing with a counter approach he'd be much better than Ronaldo or a gassed Bruno imo.

And for the kid part. Rashford started for us at 18 yo I think. Garnacho is of the same age and we're only talking about subbing him in for 15' not starting him.

I was definitely expecting Garnacho on for Ronaldo, to push Rashford up front and get Garnacho to track their RB.

Ronaldo was non existent once Wham got control over the game

Casemiro isn't very excellent today. Sometimes he is slow and easily beaten by the westham players.

Did we get those legs? Did it allow us to match their intensity in midfield or exploit the space that they left?

Well Fred came the closest out of either team to scoring in the second half..

Anyway we lost control of the midfield when Eriksen went off. I can see why EtH did what he did and ultimately we won the game so not really worth making a big issue of?

Anyway we lost control of the midfield when Eriksen went off. I can see why EtH did what he did and ultimately we won the game so not really worth making a big issue of?

We were being overrun because neither Bruno nor Eriksen could match West Ham’s physicality in the middle of the park. We did what we could do with the subs. It wasn’t pretty but it worked out. Nearly a stroke of genius as you said if Fred scores that.

Nicely summed up. What is there to moan about ?

Who made a big issue of it? Surely we can talk about things that aren't necessarily positive without it being a big issue?

Don't get this take.

Again I ask what options have we got that can realistically come on and help us push up the pitch. We already lost control of the ball, we packed it to try get a grip in midfield and still struggled, I'm not sure how sancho, or the lightweight unproven kids could have solved this issue.

We literally bare bones, and a shite bench to be honest
We had the option to not play players out of position. Taking our attackers off robbed us of any threat going the other way. Our subs brought West Ham on to us.

Think we allowed West Ham on to us and were a bit fortunate not to concede. Good result and he’s doing a great job so far though. Fully behind him bringing us success.

You said Ten Hag got his tactics wrong though? I don’t think his tactics were to allow WHU to come on to us in the last 20 minutes.

Ultimately he’d of planned to have got a second goal early but when that didn’t happen as with any team you always run the risk of inviting pressure.

The positive being we stood firm and yes DDG made two top saves but one was from a 30 yard pot shot.

I’d say either of the great saves from De Gea were closer. They were actually going in.

You have to beat the keeper to score a goal. Surely you don’t think a Rice 30 yarder was closer than Fred beating the keeper and being denied by the post?

We won the game anyway and bar DDGs two saves WHU did very little

I think the people, who are saying 'bad subs' or 'should have brought on like for like' are really underestimating that those changes are of equal or imo a bigger risk than the changes ETH did bring on.

Sancho (bad performances recently), Pellistri (not a single minute played this year?) and Garnacho (probably my safest bet to come on) were probably as likely to keep the ball to give us 'attacking' intent as much as they were to also lose the ball in transition etc. Therefore, bringing on McTominay and Fred meant he was more worried about containing and knowing what to expect. He's bet on our defence (as a team) and resilience, something he has worked on massively since Brentford; I don't blame him and it's worked. He's had to play the best players, the most minutes to get the results we have got up to this point, so I'm worried about fatigue but he's done as well as you can expect.

ETH's 'biggest' mistake was keeping on Ronaldo tonight but that's just an outlier/anomaly sort of problem.

The thing I don't get from Sky (not surprised) and other posters is this assumption of 'attacking players on pitch = more control, easier to kill the game, better chance of winning'. That's such a dangerous line of thought that has a very fine line; one that we as a team are just not designed to straddle between right now. ETH has been questioned twice now against Chelsea and tonight, both times in the interviews, he vaguely talked about control/pressing and maintaining some shape. Your attacking/flair players are the worse to do this.

Having said that, you can be critical of the performances of the players that came on. I thought it was bit of a mixed bag from McTominay and Fred. Some good, some bad. ETH made a bet and we won. That's the end of it for me really.

Last edited:
In general. We won the game today deservedly in my opinion.

It’s all good and well people saying in hindsight they’d have done this and that but does it matter.
First I wasn't moaning. I was discussing the game and if you're not aware yet this is a forum.

Second attack the post, not the poster.

Imo some of you guys are a bit too protective over ETH. He has done some absolutely amazing job so far but that doesn't exclude him from being questioned or he can't be wrong.

I really like ETH but I'll never blindly support him. Supporting him? yes. Blindly? never.

About the game today my actual evaluation regarding ETH was he did some pretty good job winning the game with both Ronaldo and Maguire in the line up.

You have to beat the keeper to score a goal. Surely you don’t think a Rice 30 yarder was closer than Fred beating the keeper and being denied by the post?

We won the game anyway and bar DDGs two saves WHU did very little
You have to put the ball between the posts to score. One is a shot on target and one isn’t.

Because West Ham also made Changes. Antonio played very well. Held the ball up much better than Scamacca. That was the most influential substitution of all. Right now ETH can only dream of having a powerful and effective attacker like that on the bench.
To take this a step further, he probably starts for us

First I wasn't moaning. I was discussing the game and if you're not aware yet this is a forum.

Second attack the post, not the poster.

Imo some of you guys are a bit too protective over ETH. He has done some absolutely amazing job so far but that doesn't exclude him from being questioned or he can't be wrong.

I really like ETH but I'll never blindly support him. Supporting him? yes. Blindly? never.

About the game today my actual evaluation regarding ETH was he did some pretty good job winning the game with both Ronaldo and Maguire in the line up.

:lol: Don’t be so tetchy. United won…

:lol: Don’t be so tetchy. United won…
I'm not. There's nothing wrong discussing the game to see what could have been done better. It's definitely not a perfect game today.

You'd only enrich your knowledge about the game and football by doing so. Question and discuss. There're so many who know a lot about football here. If I want only to play the fanboy I wouldn't come here. If you don't like to see that you can simply put me on ignored.

You said Ten Hag got his tactics wrong though? I don’t think his tactics were to allow WHU to come on to us in the last 20 minutes.

Ultimately he’d of planned to have got a second goal early but when that didn’t happen as with any team you always run the risk of inviting pressure.

The positive being we stood firm and yes DDG made two top saves but one was from a 30 yard pot shot.
Yeah I think we sat too deeply and seemed content with clearing the ball away and defending. His subs were defensive too. This was all more likely than not, his decision.

Now he is definitely limited by his squad in scenarios like today when we might tire and subs are not the same level/capable of carrying out his primary style of play. But we still seemed content with surrendering possession even when options to control the game were available.

I agree with the last point and this result along with Leicester and Saints shows we have a bit of steel when in previous seasons we’ve surrendered.

I’m confident with more investment ten hag will have us 2/3 goals up and comfortable in more matches in the future.

I thought his subs were fine, Elanga had to go and given Sancho's form and the precarious nature of the scoreline Garnacho would have been incredibly ballsy so moving Bruno out wide like he did midweek and bringing on an extra CM made sense

Eriksen and Casemiro were clearly then tiring so Fred also made sense

The real problem is the quality of the players we're having to turn to, beyond the first choice starting XI the quality just isn't there

Really, really shit tactical choices and subs second half. Needs to learn that moving Bruno wide for a midfielder doesn’t make us better.

Can you look at yourself in the mirror and honestly say (with a smirk, ideally) that you're better at football than Eric ten Hag? It'd be truly amazing, if you could. Then, of course, straight to Carrington to teach him a lesson or two...

I would've brought Fred on instead of McTominay. Fred's a lot better pressing and would've helped us suffocate them in the middle. By the time Fred came on, we had to sacrifice most of our attacking threat for it and were ourselves struggling to get out whenever we did get the ball back

Can you look at yourself in the mirror and honestly say (with a smirk, ideally) that you're better at football than Eric ten Hag? It'd be truly amazing, if you could. Then, of course, straight to Carrington to teach him a lesson or two...
No. That’s not the point though is it?

No. That’s not the point though is it?

Nitpicking to the degree many are in this thread does give off that impression though.

Again, we won. Despite our lack of options.

Glory, glory Man United ?

Ok, but for whom? Ronaldo ? Rashford ?

You can't take our only goal scorers to make way for a kid. If West Ham scores and we would be left with 10 minutes + added to playing but no strikers. Remember Newcastle?

Today's sub were fine. Not his problem that they didn't perform upto required level. We need upgrades on Fred and McT but that's not news to us. Let's stop overreacting.

Didn’t realise how close we actually are to city, being in 5th placed made it sound like we’re miles away but in fact we’re only 6 points behind them. Can we be classed as in the title race this season? Obviously our aim is top 4 but I thought we’re be further behind the top at this point of the season. A win against Brighton and Brentford and we’d be joint with them.

Didn’t realise how close we actually are to city, being in 5th placed made it sound like we’re miles away but in fact we’re only 6 points behind them. Can we be classed as in the title race this season? Obviously our aim is top 4 but I thought we’re be further behind the top at this point of the season. A win against Brighton and Brentford and we’d be joint with them.
I think we have to wait until the end of January before we can say we’re in a race or not

I appreciate your thoughts and the way you try to squander the discontent. But I understand today was not perfect and our fans have the right to feel displeased. We will continue to work hard and reduce the moments like today's 2nd half.

Our fans have no right to feel displeased at all, if they have an ounce of self-reflection.

Just deep gratitude that they're not living an apocalypse of the last season or general turdness of the last decade.

Anyone who thinks we have to be "perfect" with this squad three months into the season, let alone perfect every match, should have his head examined. Or at least exiled permanently to TikTok.

I think we have to wait until the end of January before we can say we’re in a race or not
Ye I suppose we just take it game by game and see where it takes us. If we win our game in hand though we’ll be joint 3rd. Puts us in a comfortable position in the table.

Nitpicking to the degree many are in this thread does give off that impression though.

Again, we won. Despite our lack of options.

Glory, glory Man United ?
Obsessively defending every decision an individual makes is akin to a cult not a football fan base. You can be a good manager and make the odd mistake.

Not a good game today. There are clear signs we will struggle with Casemiro Eriksen Bruno midfield against more dynamic, physical opposition. Today we actually created just enough to win it, but we totally lost the control after 65th minute.

We did get the result but I believe ETH is naive here. West Ham used simple measures to get to our box, and we will face many teams who will be able to outrun this midfield.

We need to come up with a plan B to 4231 "Bruno-centric" setup.

Absolutely no chance. We just don’t have the goals. +1 GD. Lowest goals scored of the top six.

Great chance of top four though which is a feat in itself given our start.

Ok, but for whom? Ronaldo ? Rashford ?

You can't take our only goal scorers to make way for a kid. If West Ham scores and we would be left with 10 minutes + added to playing but no strikers. Remember Newcastle?

Today's sub were fine. Not his problem that they didn't perform upto required level. We need upgrades on Fred and McT but that's not news to us. Let's stop overreacting.
Of course not Rashford. We'd need his pace for our counters.

What do you think if we replace Ronaldo with Garnacho then move Bruno to the center? Or replace Bruno with Garnacho?

Bruno was pretty out of gas and is not really fast either. We would have had at least two good counters if he was a bit faster. Moving him to the center or keep Ronaldo there while putting Rashford and Ganarcho wide to attack the space their fullbacks left behind would be very dangerous imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.