Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look both can be true. We started off with old habits but then adjusted and it clicked.

We didn't start off with old habits though, it was clearly a different approach, it just took us about 15 minutes to get adjusted to the way Fulham were set up.

We were fine and could have scored 4 easily. There is something there to build on.

Doesn't look like a team just yet. Sunday league quality at times.

'It's a mighty Fulham' looks somekind of an excuse for the weekend, I guess.

The performances must improve. Still, Bruno missed 2 sitters, Mount missed 1 and then Garnacho had a howler at the end.

Just not sure we'll ever play much better than what we've showed in general under ETH.

Next 2 games will be telling.

Still don’t think his tactics are viable for the long term. Player quality has improved though, so I’m expecting a comfortable 6th.

Good to get the win but alot of the issues from last season still exist, no matter what the ETH sympathisers say.

Not starting halves well, no consistent control in midfield, etc.

You’re being overly critical.

I'm not being critical of ETH. I'm being critical of us being limp in attack which is a longstanding issue.

If you want to battle people who can't stand ETH, it's like shooting fish in a barrel but you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Some of those passages of play were brilliant. Cut them to pieces and really created a lot of easy openings only for Bruno and co. To fluff them.

If we continue to play like this, I’d say we have a good chance at top four.

Still don’t think his tactics are viable for the long term. Player quality has improved though, so I’m expecting a comfortable 6th.
It's ultimately this. It is his 3rd season. I want to see a basis of a good, well coached team that with improvement can challenge in a couple years. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

We didn't start off with old habits though, it was clearly a different approach, it just took us about 15 minutes to get adjusted to the way Fulham were set up.

I'm sorry, what? The second half also showed the old habits are still there.

Decent performance - nothing more, nothing less - I suspect there are far too many people waiting to jump in and criticise him before they have good reason.

Not great overall but my bar for this year is low and I’m not expecting us to be very impressive. Somewhat similar to Wolves performance last year.

We are probably two windows away from having a proper ten Hag team.

No he didn't set us up poorly today. We were pretty dominant and just based purely on sitters we should have won 3-0 with very few chances conceded and a dominant performance on the ball with good pressing in stretches.

Much like the community shield a lot of the strange choices from last season have stopped being made.

Got ragged at times in the second half compared to the first, good to start with a win. If we could have converted the chances created it would have been 4 or 5.

We were very wasteful today and should have scored 4. Better start than last year and that’s what counts.

Aah Man. All the moaners now need to wait a week before they can utter a word and hope we drop the points.

I'm not being critical of ETH. I'm being critical of us being limp in attack which is a longstanding issue.

If you want to battle people who can't stand ETH, it's like shooting fish in a barrel but you're barking up the wrong tree here.
I'm not talking about ETH. Our attacking play was good today. We should have scored 3/4 goals. This will improve once the players gain the match sharpness.

Not great overall but my bar for this year is low and I’m not expecting us to be very impressive. Somewhat similar to Wolves performance last year.

It was mediocre but it was certainly a lot better than last season. It was a lot better than the fecking Wolves game at the start of last season.

I'm not talking about ETH. Our attacking play was good today. We should have scored 3/4 goals. This will improve once the players gain the match sharpness.

I never said some of our attacking play wasn't good though. I'm talking about us not being clinical in attack, and we don't have a single consistently clinical player in that area. Unless our attacking players vastly improve their finishing, it'll be an issue.

I'm sorry, what? The second half also showed the old habits are still there.

That's moving the goal posts though, as my post and the post I was replying to were clearly referring to the first half, in which the old hairs were nowhere to be seen.

After our changes we were more open no doubt, although still not as isn't as we had been last season, but to a certain extent that has to be expected given we were chasing the game due to our poor finishing.

We lost our way after those changes in the 60th minute, went with last seasons ping-pong tactics where everyone (aside from Zirkzee and Mainoo) looked like there is some kind of reward if we score 3 seconds after we get possession. Which is concerning because the tactic in which we played really well for 30 minutes in the 1st half isn't our go to tactic. Our shape is usually how we lined up from the 60th minute and there was again a giant gap in the middle. We should have been in front by then, but also Fulham should have scored that 2 on 1 counter. And ffs, once we got in front, hold onto the ball and don't play the same. Just hold onto possession.

Happy with the result, but concerns from last season are still there.

Surely you're joking with this

How many more windows does he need...

I never said some of our attacking play wasn't good though. I'm talking about us not being clinical in attack, and we don't have a single consistently clinical player in that area. Unless our attacking players vastly improve their finishing, it'll be an issue.

Our problem last season wasn't our finishing. We didn't create enough chances.

Should've been at least two up after the first half, was good from about 15 minutes in. Second half was not as good, looked like the players were getting a bit tired and the team got a bit more disjointed after the subs. That should get better though, so all in all relatively positive. Brighton will be interesting, even the lineup we go for.

Did United just changed formation 3 times this match or my eyes deceive me?
4-2-2-2 to start, then changed it to 4-4-2 with Bruno on the left wing, then to 3 at the back when Evans and De Ligt came on. We went to shit when we switch to 4-4-2 and regain control when we went 3 at the back

Status
Not open for further replies.