Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be the make or break season, but unfortunately there are already excuses with to a lesser degree Yoro out, and bigger degree Hojlund and Shaw out. Annoying that Zirkzee isn't fit and ready yet.

I think the argument is that ETH inherited a much, much worse team than his predecessors and needed to make more changes. I think he's still at least 2 Summers away from having the team he needs to play his football, e.g. our midfield alone probably needs 2-3 new players and we haven't got even one this Summer.
Think that is another excuse not an argument, and pretty sure you cannot come close to justifying that statement at all in terms of actual squad or 1st 11, and certainly not to the tune of half a billion pounds +

IMO Mourinho and Solskjaer inherited worse squads, I would also argue that the age of the players that Moyes and Van Gaal were not far off, ETH has got rid of some deadwood, will give him that, but he was not massively disadvantaged compared to the others, and certainly had resources given to him from day one.

I think Mourinho was the low ebb, think Solskjaer deserves some credit for starting the rebuild, think ETH has done some great work with the organisational side, especially now with INEOS, but it needs to be translated to performances

As I said, ETH is here so I want him to succeed

But I am fed up of people making excuses for him, this season he succeeds or he fails, end of

Last edited:

Why has he stopped saying "eh"

I dont know how long this will last, but i do like the fact that he said at the start that "its not about the players that are not here, its about the players that are".

Last season, pre and post games, he always seemed to focus on the players that were missing, as opposed to giving confidence to those that he had available.

Always thought it was a negative message and a bit of a put down to those who were playing to constantly harp on about not having his first choice players - even though it was true.

"We are United, we are together, we have a great spirit. Everything is right."

Ten Hag seems to have a much brighter outlook on this season than he did last year. Something didnt seem right from the opening game last season, and it seemed to tell on him. Its encouraging how positive he seems.

Ten Hag seems to have a much brighter outlook on this season than he did last year. Something didnt seem right from the opening game last season, and it seemed to tell on him. Its encouraging how positive he seems.

Probably to do with the new leadership!

Interesting. I think it's just" new season optimism", and he has to be like that just for the sake of team spirit, but I can't call last season being any different until things went south.

He's in a very undesirable position. On a short leash with the fans (and probably the owners as well), and the media waiting with bated breath to pounce on failure.

There's no more grace, no more acceptable apologies, his fight starts today and ends with success or an early vacation.

A win is honestly not enough. We need to see glimpses of good football.

Agree to a point. I feel we need to see more than just glimpses of good football to be honest. Heading into his third season now. I've been relatively lenient on EtH as I felt many managers at new clubs should be given at least two seasons to be able to embed their style, philosophy and essentially bring in the profile of players they want to fit their systems for success. Even the likes of Pep, Arteta and Klopp needed some time. This is the season where results need to be positive and we really push on.

Wish I hadn’t read this thread, lots of doom and gloom and negativity! I can’t wait to get going and fully behind EtH and the boys, let’s go!!!

Think that is another excuse not an argument, and pretty sure you cannot come close to justifying that statement at all in terms of actual squad or 1st 11, and certainly not to the tune of half a billion pounds +

IMO Mourinho and Solskjaer inherited worse squads, I would also argue that the age of the players that Moyes and Van Gaal were not far off, ETH has got rid of some deadwood, will give him that, but he was not massively disadvantaged compared to the others, and certainly had resources given to him from day one.

I think Mourinho was the low ebb, think Solskjaer deserves some credit for starting the rebuild, think ETH has done some great work with the organisational side, especially now with INEOS, but it needs to be translated to performances

As I said, ETH is here so I want him to succeed

But I am fed up of people making excuses for him, this season he succeeds or he fails, end of

You're being wummed.

True. We won the opener last year, and I've never felt so depressed with what I saw. So many gaps, so many players not at the races. At least we have the City game last Saturday to look at to see that we look fitter.

I can really follow his line up to be honest..

De Ligt hasnt played any preseason match so far this season and joined late (also at Bayern).. I can see why we start a fit Maguire today next to Martinez. I can image he also didn't want to start both De Ligt and Mazraoui and I think we need Mazraoui more (besides the fact he started training at an earlier stage as well..) with Shaw being out..

Zirkzee he explained and it makes sense.. Ended the season in an injury, joined late after the euro's where he hardly had minutes, missed the pre-season tour and needs to be eased into the season..

Garnacho probably could have played, but is also someone who came late from the Copa and with the season ahead of us, I dont think we want to rush into the season.. Especially is you have good options with Rashford and Diallo who both were there for the whole season..

I dont think the rest of the team is up for much debate..

I can really follow his line up to be honest..

De Ligt hasnt played any preseason match so far this season and joined late (also at Bayern).. I can see why we start a fit Maguire today next to Martinez. I can image he also didn't want to start both De Ligt and Mazraoui and I think we need Mazraoui more (besides the fact he started training at an earlier stage as well..) with Shaw being out..

Zirkzee he explained and it makes sense.. Ended the season in an injury, joined late after the euro's where he hardly had minutes, missed the pre-season tour and needs to be eased into the season..

Garnacho probably could have played, but is also someone who came late from the Copa and with the season ahead of us, I dont think we want to rush into the season.. Especially is you have good options with Rashford and Diallo who both were there for the whole season..

I dont think the rest of the team is up for much debate..
Time will tell. Bizarre starting 11 in my opinion. We’ll see if it works.

Time will tell. Bizarre starting 11 in my opinion. We’ll see if it works.

Honestly wondering how you would have it different?

From the people on the bench I could only see Garnacho as a potential starter, pushing Rashford to #9, Bruno to #10 and Mount to the bench..

Honestly wondering how you would have it different?

From the people on the bench I could only see Garnacho as a potential starter, pushing Rashford to #9, Bruno to #10 and Mount to the bench..
Mount v Garnacho was the only decision he had to make here, I agree.

Seems like he didn't learn one bit from last season. Same suicidal tactics with clear weak links.

Seems like he didn't learn one bit from last season. Same suicidal tactics with clear weak links.
Until it clicked and United dominated the game for a spell and had a whole bunch of good chances. Which may soon turn around again.

15 min into the first match of the season, while not all new buys are playing and the transfer window is still open is a little early for these kinds of conclusions (even with 'seems').

Sometimes wonder if a manager who plays 6 midfielders in a home game against Fulham really knows what he’s doing?

Only a case of which month Ruud takes over as our next manager. I’d go for October, maybe November. He may even have been deliberately installed by Ineos as a back up plan

Until it clicked and United dominated the game for a spell and had a whole bunch of good chances. Which may soon turn around again.

15 min into the first match of the season, while not all new buys are playing and the transfer window is still open is a little early for these kinds of conclusions (even with 'seems').

A better team would have already scored against us. We need to start better which was again one of the issues last season. So it may be too early to judge but there are still some bad habits lingering atm.

Sometimes wonder if a manager who plays 6 midfielders in a home game against Fulham really knows what he’s doing?
6?

I think it's 4 central midfielders. Which indicts him for needing 4 players to do a job which can be done by 3 central midfielders through genuine coaching and game plan.

As I said earlier, our main problem we need 22 players playing to have a competent starting 11.
As poor as our playing team is, the manager is also abit below elite PL standards.

Aye, so suicidal that we have conceded an incredible 0.09 xG. How ever will we survive.

I see those who are upset Ten Hag wasn't sacked are ready and waiting for any little slip up. A good half where we should have scored. Promising performance from the team in terms of creating attacks, keeping possession and counterpressing, apart from the beginning 10 minutes. More of that in the second half hopefully.

I don't understand why we have Maxraoui inverting and Dalot who has the wrong foot overlapping. Every bit of play that has Dalot on the overlap is dying because he is just turning back as he doesn't have a left foot thereby shutting down that wing. I feel if Amad had someone overlapping him things could open up.

We are more in control and aren't lookin like morons but we are shot in attack.

Have no idea how you came to that conclusion. If a player loses an individual duel (like Martinez early on) that’s on the player, if there’s a massive gap in the midfield (which there generally isn’t) that’s more a structural issue. Martinez made up for it a few minutes later too.

Good half and with a bit more luck could have been 3 goals ahead. Some of you are ridiculous.

Liked the first half, the pressing structure is much better and we have proper triangles when moving forward.

Should be two up. Hope they trust this performance going into the second half as the fragility could come back with any setback I'm afraid

Aye, so suicidal that we have conceded an incredible 0.09 xG. How ever will we survive.

Post was made within the first 20 mins of the game when we were looking shaky af but yeh thanks for the pointless post.

Unfortunately current xG technology doesn't account for A.Onana, who makes routine saves seem worldly. That shot was at least 0.65 xG for example

Have no idea how you came to that conclusion. If a player loses an individual duel (like Martinez early on) that’s on the player, if there’s a massive gap in the midfield (which there generally isn’t) that’s more a structural issue. Martinez made up for it a few minutes later too.

We were much better in the second half of the 1st half but we were looking pretty shaky in the first 15-20 mins (when I posted that).

I don't understand why we have Maxraoui inverting and Dalot who has the wrong foot overlapping. Every bit of play that has Dalot on the overlap is dying because he is just turning back as he doesn't have a left foot thereby shutting down that wing. I feel if Amad had someone overlapping him things could open up.

We are more in control and aren't lookin like morons but we are shot in attack.
Makes sense. Let's see what the 2nd half brings.

If you're seeing the same stuff as last season then either you weren't watching then or you aren't watching now.

The setup is clearly more measured, we're not carved open by a single player breaking the press anymore.

Post was made within the first 20 mins of the game when we were looking shaky af but yeh thanks for the pointless post.
If you don't want to be pulled up on it, then don't make such claims within 20 min of the first game of the season.

If you don't want to be pulled up on it, then don't make such claims within 20 min of the first game of the season.

Did we look shaky in the first 20 mins? Yes.

Did we look in control after that? Yes.

No problemo.

Status
Not open for further replies.